Connection between anxiety and genetics - my specific case - Thoughts and advice desired

MusoniusRufusfan

A Disturbance in the Force
I would like to get your thoughts on an anxiety type issue which I experience. I’m not sure what the underlining cause is. I suspect that it is genetic, but would like to hear your thoughts. The primary symptom that I experience is that my hands are always wet (often to a degree where they prune). The degree of moisture is dependent on the amount of interaction I have with people or situations. When I’m at work just sitting at my desk, the issue is a mild dampness. When I’m in a meeting or talking to someone (It doesn’t matter who that person is, it can be my mother), it cranks up to wet or soaked. Even though I don’t necessarily feel stressed. Any interaction with a person or situation causes sweating in the hands. More intense emotional situations will cause my back to sweat as well. But that seems more “normal”. My hands are always wet. Social situations are not the only thing that sets it off though. It is an emotional response of some kind. I want to understand it but I'm having trouble doing so. It can be very bad while reading or watching intense movies or books (even if alone). I oddly can’t watch drama’s, they just make me too uncomfortable, I always need to change the channel or walk into another room.
The only time I do not experience the dampness to some degree is just before or after I go to sleep. Or during a deep state of thought or meditation. And when I’m thoroughly drunk (I generally do not like to drink, but I do notice it goes away if I’m really in the bag).
I also experience regular digestive distress (usually diarrhea but it varies). I was diagnosed with IBS as a child. But stopped taking medication or seeing a doctor around age 20 (I’m 29). Since it never seemed to help. These digestive symptoms also seem to be emotionally triggered. I also experience general discomfort around people or social situations. That often presents itself as my stomach growling or rumbling. This is in addition to the moisture in the hands and back. None of these symptoms are debilitating. But they often influence me from seeking social situations.
For a little history, I’ve had these issue’s (symptoms?) for as long as I can remember. Generally, I’ve always been very “shy”. And I blush to some degree just about when ever I talk with anyone I don’t know (and always have). I can’t control it. And it is definitely connected to the sweating and discomfort. One of my earliest memory’s is of hiding behind my mother at the market, reaching for a slice of cheese being offered. And I vividly remember my first day of school. I had such bad diarrhea that I almost missed the bus (I was 7). As an infant I was not popular, I’m told I would bite anyone I didn’t know who tried to pick me up.
I also have a family history of anxiety. My sister has a similar issue and is medicated for it. I take no medication. I do not want to live tranquilized. My younger cousin also experiences something similar. But I would describe his issue as being debilitating. He dropped out of school early, because of the discomfort and has trouble leaving his house. He also has similar digestive issues and was recently diagnosed with crohn's disease.
I’ve always assumed the underlining issue to be genetic. Since it seems common on my fathers’ side of the family (Irish). I have rejected the hypothesis of the anxiety being a social construct, due to it’s early development and the fact that I’m not a member of any online social networks and never have been ( I read an article about modern anxiety being caused by social networks and being online too much. I don’t think this relates to my situation. Since I don’t spend much time online and have no interest in Facebook). I’ve also done some research into my family history and found that my family name is described as coming from a location in southern Ireland, where they have resided in generally the same location for thousands of years (at least 2). Unlike many other family’s we seemed to stay in the same place under the same lords for most of written history. The book also notes that most of the people who still have the name in Ireland today overwhelmingly reside in this same traditional county (a sign of genetic anxiety??).
In conclusion, thank you for reading this far. I know that was long winded and I apologize. I like to be thorough in presenting facts. I have greatly enjoyed the unique perspectives presented on this web site. And I’m presenting this anxiety issue to you in the hope that this uniqueness will aid me in finding out what this issue is and how to get rid of it. Is it genetic in nature and can I reverse it? Meditation and reflection does help ease the symptoms to a degree but not consistently. I have a working theory of it being genetic in nature, however I’m very open to a different explanation or perspective.
Thanks for the thoughts

Sounds like hyperhidrosis:

Hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating. Hyper means “more” and hidrosis means “sweating.” The body uses sweat to regulate temperature and sweat is one way the body cools. When people sweat too much, however, it could mean they have this condition.

Hyperhidrosis can be a socially isolating condition, as their excessive sweat can be embarrassing. This condition affects 3% of the population.

There are several places on the body that people experience hyperhidrosis:

• Palmar hyperhidrosis—excessive sweating of the hands
  • Axillary hyperhidrosis—excessive underarm sweating
  • Pedal Hyperhidrosis—excessive feet sweating. Sweating on the hands can be linked to feet sweating.
  • Facial Hyperhidrosis/Blushing—flushing and sweating of the face
I have the condition too, although it's not severe in my case (I sweat profusely when I exercise, and more than most when I get hot...which I do very easily). I used to get flushed in the face too, but I've not experienced that as much over the past decade or so. I've come to think of it as an aspect of an overactive sympathetic nervous system. Things that can calm the sympathetic system are helpful (meditation, refraining from too much coffee, alcohol, etc). Potassium and magnesium are also excellent supplements in this regard. I've heard people have good results with an Iontophoresis machine which passes ionized water through the skin with electricity. You can look it up on youtube and I'm pretty sure you can make your own if you don't want to spend the money.

Last edited:
It looks like a minor form of dysautonomia, or autonomic nervous system dysfunction, which can be characterized by either overactive sympathetic or parasympathetic branches of the nervous system - much like Renaissance described above.

There can be several reasons for this - the most common IMO is long-term thiamine deficiency, but also the things which may be driving that, or which are a consequence of that.

The first question that comes to mind is - do you produce gas which smells like sulfur/rotten egg/foul stench?

Wow some quick responses. Thank you for being so responsive. And yes for about 8 years now I have noticed that I produce a lot more gas and it does have a sulfur/rotten egg type smell. Does this indicate something?

Wow some quick responses. Thank you for being so responsive. And yes for about 8 years now I have noticed that I produce a lot more gas and it does have a sulfur/rotten egg type smell. Does this indicate something?
I thought so. You are likely producing excess hydrogen sulfide gas, either primarily through the gut bacteria and also potentially because of the way that your cells metabolize certain amino acids.

Hydrogen sulfide has been implicated as a key cause of IBD (crohn's and UC), and there can be some genetic mutations which hamper your ability to detoxify it... so that may be something involved in your family history. I would imagine, based on my basic understanding of sulfur metabolism, that your episodes of blushing and anxiety may be related to hydrogen sulfide in the brain/central nervous system. This gas, when found in high quantities (such as in the case of people pass gas smelling of sulfur), can lead to hyperactive firing of the neurons and oxidative stress in the brain. The symptoms are often related to blushing, redness in the face, brain fog, anxiety, and nervousness.

Hydrogen sulfide and sulfite (an intermediate metabolite in hydrogen sulfide metabolism) both degrade thiamine (vitamin B1) in the brain. Thiamine is EXTREMELY important for the cells in the lower part of the brain to make enough energy. When energy production slows down, the coordination of the autonomic nervous system goes kaflooey.

A preliminary guess is that you may benefit from supplementing with the following things:

Hydroxocobalamin (hydroxy B12) - neutralise hydrogen sulfide in the blood

Molybdenum - support to breakdown of sulfite and hydrogen sulfide

Devron (bismuth) - absorb hydrogen sulfide in the gut

Lipothiamine or Allithiamine (250mg per day). If you frequently experience diarrhea, then Authiamine cream may be a better way to bypass the digestive tract to avoid malabsorption

All the symptoms you listed "blushing, redness in the face, brain fog, anxiety, and nervousness" I experience to varying degrees. As well as the gas. I noticed that the Hydroxocobalamin is a prescription drug. Do you know of any non-prescription alternatives for it?
Also should I be worried about taking too much of any of these things or stop taking them after a period (like after two months stop taking blank?)

I would check with a doctor to get some basic blood work. For all you know there is some thyroid issues and you might be shooting in the dark until you know your basic biochemistry is alright, including thyroid function. It is always very important to discard organic conditions in cases such as yours. Then you can proceed diligently and effectively with lifestyle changes, using the various tools suggested.

I've been down the doctor road many times. I've had blood work, colonoscopy, endoscopy, probiotics, antibiotics and a bunch of other stuff. Never helped my issues. That's kind of why I posted here. trying for a different perspective. Appreciate the advice though.

I've been down the doctor road many times. I've had blood work, colonoscopy, endoscopy, probiotics, antibiotics and a bunch of other stuff. Never helped my issues. That's kind of why I posted here. trying for a different perspective. Appreciate the advice though.

The point is that if you last saw any doctor 9 years ago, and these symptoms are happening now, you don't want to neglect a recent general check-up. If that is done recently, then you know you've done all you can from that side. A new perspective is always welcomed, but it is true that sometimes these symptoms are due to organic conditions for which there are supplements and healing modalities as well.

I understand, 9years ago was when I last saw my GI doctor. I go for regular checkups. I will mention this to my GP though. Thanks

.. I have read with your post with a bit of exitment, as you discibe pretty much what I go through on a daily basis.
I have sweaty hands since I can remember having my first girlfriend. Regardless, I'm socially anxious to a normal degree depending on my mood and thoughts.
I have since figured a way to make it work for me; basically a chemical fix. An no, alcohol, which works, is really a crappy way of aliviating social stress simtoms.
For me personally, what has worked for me, especially with sweating hands, it's srong dandelion tinctures along with breathing and tobacco.
In social settings, I swett a lot, but I just take full breaths and be more or less direct in conversation and not loosing my time being a nice guy.
I wish I could be of more help, but it's the individual experience and you gotta try and make it work for yourself. Good luck!!

I never imagined I would be able to give someone advice regarding this issue, as I had significant problems with it during my secondary and high school. I can still say I have excessive sweating, especially during summer, but it is not unbearable and it rarely affects me psychologically anymore. On the bright side, you remove a lot of toxins as well. :)
There is no single recipe, but a combination of many things, so here we go..

*From my experience, firstly, you need to deeply review and check what kind of food increase those effects. For me, it is the following: spicy food (the biggest trigger), coffee, dark tea, some sea food like mussels and oysters, sausages to some extent along with fried food and that's all I can remember now. Oh, one more thing - alcohol! It may help you temporary when you are drunk but, from my experience, negatively affects it afterwards.
Removing or significantly decreasing the intake of the mentioned helped me.

*Maybe you won't like it if I tell you that it is also "in your head" to an extent (I know I hated it), but it is true! Whenever I behaved like.."I don't care if my palms are sweaty or not" and truly meant it, it really did a thing. I also used to be very shy and I can see the connection there. Anxiety, panic or stress can hugely impact sweating. If you find yourself in an unpleasant situation, breathe steadily and count for yourself.
More importantly, get rid of toxic shyness, many people you see are dumbed down, still sleeping or ignorant, there is really no reason to feel that.
Eiriu eolas program will also help you with your general composure and stress release.

*Drink pleasantly cold sage tea (one to two sips several times during a day) for few days and then don't drink any for two weeks. Sage tea is the most effective natural way to reduce sweating, from my experience.

*Lastly, I noticed that smoking helps a little bit as well, but it may not be the case with everybody.

I advice you also not to use any chemical substances, as many of them include aluminium and, as you probably know, aluminum is bad. To add it up, they don't do anything in the long run.
I hope I was helpful, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom