What are you listening to?

The duduk is easily the most recognizable Armenian musical instrument. With different variations and names, it is used throughout the region – the Balkans, the Middle East, the Caucasus, and Central Asia.

Phew Gaby. It feels like the weight of a thousand years of sorrow . I'm immediately taken to the Armenian Genocide
but many other horrors as well. Very very moving and emotional. Do you know if it's dedicated to anything in particular or even it's date..

Phew Gaby. It feels like the weight of a thousand years of sorrow . I'm immediately taken to the Armenian Genocide
but many other horrors as well. Very very moving and emotional. Do you know if it's dedicated to anything in particular or even it's date..

Not really, I think it's very old though. A forum member once recommended the Duduk renditions from Levon Minassian:

The duduk (/duːˈduːk/ doo-DOOK; Armenian: դուդուկ IPA: [duˈduk])[1] is an ancient Armenian double reed woodwind instrument made of apricot wood. It is indigenous to Armenia.[2] Variations of the Armenian Duduk are found in other regions of the Caucasus and the Middle East including Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russia, Turkey and Iran.[3][4] It is commonly played in pairs: while the first player plays the melody, the second plays a steady drone called dum, and the sound of the two instruments together creates a richer, more haunting sound...

UNESCO proclaimed the Armenian duduk and its music as a Masterpiece of the Intangible Heritage of Humanity in 2005 and inscribed it in 2008.[5][6] Duduk music has been used in a number of films, most notably in The Russia House and Gladiator.

Some beautiful voices from a few countries; first from Russia:

(According to DeepL, this is called: Aren't you, my canary)

France:
DeepL: "Tarbes in canta. Church of St. Theresa in Tarbes on June 9, 2018"

Cyprus:

The US - a beautiful rendition of Down to the river:

The duduk is easily the most recognizable Armenian musical instrument. With different variations and names, it is used throughout the region – the Balkans, the Middle East, the Caucasus, and Central Asia.

The other day I located the name of the artist and album that I believe the above music is from. It was listed in the comments section to the youtube video and is: Yeghish Manukyan - Haykakan Duduk. Thanks for sharing this beautiful music.

"LES HOMMES S’ANGOISSENT ET LES VACHES PAISSENT
LES HOMMES SE PRESSENT ET LES ANNÉES PASSENT
ALORS QU’ON ME LAISSE LÀ DANS L’HERBE GRASSE
OÙ JE ME PRÉLASSE COMPLÈTEMENT HS

Y’A D’L’AMOUR PARTOUT SUR LES BOSSES DANS LES TROUS
QUE D’GÉNÉRATIONS EN PRÉPARATION
ET PUIS CROYEZ VOUS QU’IL Y EN AIT QUI SOIENT JALOUX
TOUT L’MONDE EST À TOUT L’MONDE ET PUIS LES FEMELLES PONDENT

GARDEZ VOS MENACES ET MÊME VOS PROMESSES
LÀ DANS L’HERBE ÉPAISSE QUE VOULEZ VOUS QU’J’EN FASSE
LES HOMMES S’ANGOISSENT ET LES VACHES PAISSENT
LES HOMMES SE PRESSENT ET LES ANNÉES PASSENT"

Imre Lodbrog

Dante's Prayer - Loreena McKennitt

When the dark wood fell before me
And all the paths were overgrown
When the priests of pride say there is no other way
I tilled the sorrows of stone

I did not believe because I could not see
Though you came to me in the night
When the dawn seemed forever lost
You showed me your love in the light of the stars

Cast your eyes on the ocean
Cast your soul to the sea
When the dark night seems endless
Please remember me

Then the mountain rose before me
By the deep well of desire
From the fountain of forgiveness
Beyond the ice and the fire

Please remember me

Though we share this humble path, alone
How fragile is the heart
Oh give these clay feet wings to fly
To touch the face of the stars

Breathe life into this feeble heart
Lift this mortal veil of fear
Take these crumbled hopes, etched with tears
We'll rise above these earthly cares

Please remember me

"LES HOMMES S’ANGOISSENT ET LES VACHES PAISSENT
LES HOMMES SE PRESSENT ET LES ANNÉES PASSENT
ALORS QU’ON ME LAISSE LÀ DANS L’HERBE GRASSE
OÙ JE ME PRÉLASSE COMPLÈTEMENT HS

Y’A D’L’AMOUR PARTOUT SUR LES BOSSES DANS LES TROUS
QUE D’GÉNÉRATIONS EN PRÉPARATION
ET PUIS CROYEZ VOUS QU’IL Y EN AIT QUI SOIENT JALOUX
TOUT L’MONDE EST À TOUT L’MONDE ET PUIS LES FEMELLES PONDENT

GARDEZ VOS MENACES ET MÊME VOS PROMESSES
LÀ DANS L’HERBE ÉPAISSE QUE VOULEZ VOUS QU’J’EN FASSE
LES HOMMES S’ANGOISSENT ET LES VACHES PAISSENT
LES HOMMES SE PRESSENT ET LES ANNÉES PASSENT"

Imre Lodbrog

Boy those females do ET PUIS LES FEMELLES PONDENT...very profound...;-):cool2: but...what is L’HERBE GRASSE?

Boy those females do ET PUIS LES FEMELLES PONDENT...very profound...;-):cool2: but...what is L’HERBE GRASSE?

"Les herbes grasses" means the tall(fat) grass

Thank you for listening goyacobol! This friend of our: Imre (his birth name is Sébastien) originates from France and lives half the year in NYC with a performance artist UNY teacher name BARBARA BROWNING. They statred out as a projecto create a rock-pop star, and it took off aso now he has a catalog of 400 + songds in french and english and others, which are truly well written, original and jnique. He truly is like a Bad Dylan, or Georges Brassens. heir work is available all over the net and well worth the detour. We had them in Montreal for a long weekend 3 years ago and we've kept in touch and will play together next spring. (G.d willing!)...

Beautiful. Perfect music while reading Ella Maillart. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom