The Eyes of the Beholder: Reality Shaping and the Work

mkrnhr

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
It is often said that "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" to imply that beauty is totally subjective and so something that appears to be ugly to one person would appear beautiful to another. That is true.
On the other hand, if someone finds a dump of trash beautiful while they find a stream of water in the mountains ugly, you would probably question their sanity.

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder because the beholder can be aligned with objective beauty they see, the divine art, or they can be orthogonal to it. There are degrees in between of course. The eyes of the beholder are a mirror of their soul.

This begs the question of whether it is possible to align one's own aesthetic sense to align with the objective beauty that is presented to us in the universe, especially through the visual medium, since other aspects have been discussed in the forum already. In other words, what would be the elements of visual beauty that we could search for in the pictures (paintings or photographs) we hang on our homes' walls for instance, that could help us get in a better alignment of our inner selves with the objective beauty and creative principles of the universe, as revealed in the real and the true.

Honing our judgment in experiencing Beauty without the distorting baggage of past and present entropic influences can be transformative. And the exercise can be one additional tool in the Work’s toolbox for self-transformation and reality shaping in these turbulent times.

Interesting questions to which I obviously don't have answers, but would very much like to explore.

I've been thinking about this and here are some ideas that came to my mind:

- Some people speak about harmony and mathematics as some sort important factor regarding 'objective beauty'. For me, it might indeed influence in what most people consider beautiful-it isn't for no reason that people who study visual arts learn about composition, colors, shapes, etc.; people tend to like certain combinations and patterns more than others, and these tend to be more 'pleasant' to the eyes (and ears, in the case of music).

- Yet, there's something more than that, ins't it? In my particular (subjective, of course) experience, looking at or listening to something beautiful has an extra layer of meaning. So something can be very nice in terms of colors, shapes, technique, composition, harmony, etc., yet, the meaning it portrays is kind of weak, or it doesn't transmit a particular meaning at all, so that extra layer is missing. I find art more beautiful when it portrays something that I consider beautiful, whether it is just an emotion which would be difficult to articulate, or something more explicit which you can identify very easily.

- So, IMHO, this seems to be important. What is the the piece of art transmitting? But, because we are so subjective, it is difficult to know that for sure, right? I mean, I can be touched by a piece of music that reminds me of something which is joyful, yet another person can be reminded of another thing and be saddened by the same music. And is the art transmitting something wrong then? It could be in some cases, yet, in other cases, it could also be due to inner landscape of the person experiencing it.

- I do believe that there are some characteristics that are generally recognized as positive and experienced in such a way, some combination of colors, for instance, or combinations of notes and tunes, or different tempos, in the case of music. This is also the case with symbols and certain images. Some are generally recognized and interpreted in a very similar way by most people. But it is also true that there are grey areas here.

- I also think that the person who experiences is, ultimately, the one who will be able to see and understand beauty or not, so yes, I would guess that by working on ourselves we may become better at seeing and understanding what is actually beautiful and what isn't. Perhaps, it has to do with frequency. Perhaps, when we start cleaning ourselves and working on becoming a better people who can also see and appreciate better things, we don't resonate anymore with forms of art that we used to like, for example, and we start to appreciate other types of art, and little by little, we align ourselves with what is best.

I don't know, but these are just some thoughts, fwiw...

It would surely be nice to find ideas on how we can also work on this aspect as another tool in the Work.

Interesting idea for a thread, mkrnhr, and with so many classifications that beauty emerges; material, colour, geometry, the living and even the waning and waxing of life, and of course the light that shades or engulfs. There is beauty that emerges from the emotional - of love, dance, the look from an eye, the sound of a voice and the joy-beauty of a smile. Each, though, is the individual impression, and sometimes it is shared and sometimes not. Sometimes there is no camera to capture it, no canvas possible, no paint brush to form it, as it is just a breath and then gone.

There was a time when I would take a lot of film photographs of landscapes, geometry, light et cetera, and would peel through a role of 36 exposures and never capture what the eye could see in the moment, or perhaps one would be semi-worthy of beauty on an individual bases. Digital opened it up, yet one could take a thousand photos and never full capture what might be beauty seen through ones own eyes - and ones thinking of it as it becomes etched briefly in mind.

In other words, what would be the elements of visual beauty that we could search for in the pictures (paintings or photographs) we hang on our homes' walls for instance, that could help us get in a better alignment of our inner selves with the objective beauty and creative principles of the universe, as revealed in the real and the true.

In the house most are old oil landscapes, with some water colours, some wood, along with a few stained glass pieces. The glass's beauty is revealed at certain times of the day - only with certain light, and it changes in remarkable ways. Some stand out and some take time to look at and to feel what is in it.

Like museums, five hundreds paintings can be looked at, and yet what would one remember of them, which ones stood out on an individual basis, and would two and four people see it the same way? What qualities form those impressions of beauty still hold deep after decades? For me they would often be remembered for their colour, geometry and the play of light from the artist, something that evokes deeper meaning - timelessness even.

There are the photos one may have of family or their children, and the beauty of each is so individual, stemming from a lifetime of experience with them - their joy and spirit, or the memories of them when gone.

"Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" - thinking about this in terms of poetry; written words or the notes that resonate in the ear. Many here may have read the same books (example - the romantic book thread), and it is interesting as an author can pull out beauty from scenes that perhaps are shared among the readers, and at the same time they are shaped by the reader in individual ways based on experience/memories.

Last thing I was thinking on is the beauty of form in terms of a symbol that personifies. Say the bust of Caesar that has yet to be perfectly chiseled in the right stone, and yet as a symbol the beauty of it stretches times of what was good and what could have been good with lasting beauty. A marker, a representation of this in one person, just as other people in form may personify other attributes of beauty shared among many people.

This is IMO a great topic for discussion. Personally, I think this sentence summarizes how I see this issue:
Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder because the beholder can be aligned with objective beauty they see, the divine art, or they can be orthogonal to it. There are degrees in between of course. The eyes of the beholder are a mirror of their soul.

Beyond intuiting the above as a general principle, it is extremely difficult for me to define or delimit the concept of "objective beauty". Thinking about it, other ideas come to my mind such as "harmony", "order", symmetry" or even "mathematics", but it is not simple for me to connect these concepts with an acceptable definition of beauty.

On the other hand, the idea of beauty is usually associated with pleasure. In the zoo where we live there are individuals who feel pleasure for unusual, perverse, or really "horrible" things, so one might think that pleasure is something that originates from the subject and not from the object, or at least that it is the individual's experiences and preferences that make them feel pleasure or displeasure. Then perhaps pleasure could not be chosen as an indicator of beauty, or not at least as a determining indicator of the presence of beauty. One might even think that perhaps there is a kind of STS pleasure and STO pleasure.

Another issue to consider about pleasure is that it sometimes ends up adding more confusion about the topic. For example, a beautiful melody can evoke feelings of sadness in a person because of their own experiences (or whatever) and at the same time be sublime and objectively beautiful. However, for many sadness is an unpleasant emotion, so taking pleasure as a parameter of beauty, IMO does not seem to be at least sufficient. Personally, I have noticed that sometimes a melody evokes within me sadness, nostalgia, or some similar emotion, without this being related to my state of mind (I feel good at the time), but I want to listen to it and I enjoy doing so because I consider it beautiful and full of meaning, as if it communicates to me a deep and universal truth, or as if it makes me feel in harmony,... in short, it is not easy to describe, but I hope the idea is understood in general.

IMO the biggest problem seems to be that what usually determines our appreciation of beauty is our emotions. The point is that each of us experiences a wide range of emotions, some negative and some positive (in the sense given by the Cs, emotions that limit or do not limit [*] ). It is also possible that some of these emotions come from a lot of unbalanced chemical reactions in our physiology, or from communion with deep universal principles. So determining which one is which and where each one comes from can help us in the process of learning to appreciate beauty.

As a collateral point to the issue of beauty, it is really significant that there is a media/corporate campaign aimed at destroying the idea of "objective beauty" and installing in its place an idea of subjective and absolutely whimsical beauty (I mentioned something about it in this thread Dove and the campaign "Shattering Beauty Stereotypes"). If these bastards are so intent on destroying it, I can only conclude that learning to appreciate objective beauty should perhaps be among our top 4 or 5 priority tasks at this time.

Well, these are just some ideas that came to mind...

[*] Cs: Emotion that limits is an impediment to progress. When you begin to separate limiting emotions based on assumptions from emotions that open one to unlimited possibilities, that means you are preparing for the next density.

Thanks for bringing this topic to discussion, it’s very important given the times that we are living in.

Aesthetics is a set of principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty. And I do think we can aspire to objective aesthetics, not in a positivistic, absolute way, but on certain agreed upon principles that admit subjectivity but place focus and importance on something universal or transcendental.

Some are born with a natural aesthetic appreciation, or sensibility, but should be honed; others have a very basic, or even a twisted aesthetic appreciation, but can be developed.

This last is more common as aesthetics have been an important battleground for the postmodernists, which want to eradicate what's truly beautiful and normalize the idea that everything can be aesthetic: Everything that leaves an impression, or everything that cause a reaction (positive or negative) is aesthetic for them... so basically a painting of a garbage landfill can be aesthetic, even if make no sense in the light of more classical conceptions of beauty.

There's also the fact that as postmodernism is materialistic, they wanted to disconnect aesthetics from its spiritual/transcendental aspect, and make it purely subjective, and mundane. It has been a long process of ponerization.

There are different levels of aesthetic appreciation though, from the most evident layer, the surface (symmetry, color, shapes…), to the emotional (subjective, or universal), and even a divine one.

Nature can be a great guide for aesthetic appreciation. For example, ‘a bird has wings because it flies', particular physical characteristics of the bird point out to the bird’s essence, and that particular essence represents certain characteristics of the One (Faces and Names of God).

I mean, it's not only the external physical characteristics of nature that can be beautiful or attractive, there’s something higher they represent, that underlying aspect that is connected to the divine.

A single plant or animal conveys a lot of information, and evoke certain emotions… Well, this emotional aspect can be colored by say, imprinting; if a dog bit you when you were a kid, dogs might evoke fear for their capacity for aggression, but you can still recognize when they are beautiful and cute.

Take a serpent or a spider, they evoke disgust and even fear, at the same time, they represent a set of concepts or ideas beyond their physical characteristics. But when we see a cute cat or a baby lamb, they evoke feelings of warmth, endearment, care; and they also represent their own set of concepts and ideas.

In that line, most baby mammals have round faces, furry chubby bodies, big round eyes that evoke positive emotion and empathy, and we are even compelled to take care of them, to protect them; not just us humans but other animals too... so it seems it is a somewhat universal reaction.

maxresdefault.jpg

Some insects, plants, and animals have bright strong colors that tell us that they are poisonous or venomous; or they have certain patterns in their skin or certain physical characteristics that point out that are dangerous.

Harlequin-poison-dart-frog-leaf-Amazon-rainforest.jpg
It seems like there are some aspects related to beauty that are hardwired in the brain… that have an inherent psychological basis, like symmetry, shape, color, and pattern.

We associate a variety of psychological qualities with symmetry: order, elegance, health, peacefulness, calmness, stability, harmony. One example in the artistic context is the geometry and the aesthetics of Renaissance classicism:

image8-3.jpgs9tytnglrawknsvlmtop.jpe

Asymmetry sometimes is related to chaos, and even disease, but it's also related to change. There are examples of asymmetrical art, like cubism.

- Symmetry is more visually attractive and pleasing than asymmetry, though asymmetry can be more interesting in certain contexts.

Along that line, we have some theories about color psychology, they propose that each color has a different psychological/emotional impact. In general terms, you are going to find more pleasing a painting, or photo with blue and orange, than one with black and red.

There are colors and combinations of colors that are more pleasing or enjoyable than others.

Red.jpg

Light of certain colors or ranges can even affect the body in a positive or negative way. Take blue light (cold) vs orange light (warm).

There's also something called the psychology of shape, that states that each different shape evokes different responses and emotions.

There are many theories based on psychological tests that define the personality or mental state through shapes. A person’s liking towards a particular shape or figure can reveal their personality and character traits. Similarly, a quick response to shapes can tell what’s on the mind.

Research and tests conducted over the years have helped professionals to establish meanings of each shape and how it can influence human perception.

And about shapes and symbols, we already know that they can have some effect on us and the surroundings, take the Reiki symbols, they have a meaning and a practical purpose.

Considering all this, there are beautiful and ugly rocks, insects, plants, animals… beautiful and ugly landscapes, composed of many beautiful or ugly elements. So there’s elemental or individual beauty, but also natural compositions up to the cosmos itself.

A beautiful sunrise has attractive colors and shapes that evoke positive emotions and thoughts, and it even represents concepts as life, light, renewal, cycles… an arid desert not that much.

In art, the composition is also important as it adds elements like movement, rhythm, focus or emphasis, contrast, pattern, proportion.

The styles and techniques are very important too, we appreciate a good technique with a decent of effort from the artist... much more than a signed urinal.

SMMGradient2.png

The importance of composition, and technique have been diminished by the postmodern paradigm in favor of subjective theoretical justification, and glorification of the artist's emotions... there's no connection to something transcendental; the artist, his perception (even if twisted), and emotions are the focus of their art. Talk about nihilism and narcissism.

Each artist indeed captures something of their inner landscape (to a greater or lesser degree), and their perception of reality in their work (subjective). It can be perceived directly or indirectly, but that does not mean that all art is subjective, some artists aspire to represent and convey higher emotions, universal principles, or even the divine. Though it’s not easy as the artist would need to Work in him or herself, and expand his or her understanding and awareness of human nature, nature itself, and cosmos (to their own degree), to align and connect with something higher up there.

If the spectator would be to appreciate those more subtle but higher aspects of a piece of art, they would need to have at least the same level of being as the artist. Still, people that do not get more subtle aspects, or layers, can enjoy and appreciate the most evident layers like, composition, and technique.

Also, a clean and functional higher emotional center would help to create and appreciate the more subtle layers of aesthetics... but also the higher intellectual to get the underlying meaning too?

But well, the subjective aspect of the artist will be there in one way or another, like a signature, but in a higher aesthetic piece, it will not be the focus or the most important aspect.

Some artists just focus on conveying their inner landscape and emotions, but there is some significant value in that?

We can also resonate with particular pieces, or artists, as there's some kind of "matching frequencies".

Take the novels we are reading now, they can show us some preferences, emotions, and perceptions of the writer, but that’s not important, as what goes beyond the writer is emphasized, it's what really matters. It offers an attractive narrative with compelling characters connected to universal values and higher principles and emotions. And it's interesting, these readings help to develop the emotional center, and motivate to use creative energy properly, as it has been already discussed.

We value mostly art that has real value in different areas, a good and experienced technique, a proper composition, an interesting narrative with a deeper meaning; with some subjective aspects, but that ultimately conveys something universal or even transcendental.

Then there’s the art that only conveys the inner landscape of the artists but that has positive aspects as a good technique, composition, narrative.

And even art that lacks all reputable technique and basic composition that says nothing at all, maybe just the chaotic or simplistic mental state from the artist.

Can we then consider a hierarchy of aesthetic principles? A hierarchy of value in aesthetics?

Just some thoughts here.

In other words, what would be the elements of visual beauty that we could search for in the pictures (paintings or photographs) we hang on our homes' walls for instance, that could help us get in a better alignment of our inner selves with the objective beauty and creative principles of the universe, as revealed in the real and the true.

In terms of beauty in the visual arts, these 2 quotes come to mind:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing. (Keats)
---
I mean by a picture a beautiful, romantic dream of something that never was, never will be - in a light better than any light that ever shone - in a land no one can define or remember, only desire - and the forms divinely beautiful - and then I wake up, with the waking of Brynhild.” (Burne-Jones)

As well as this verse from Baudelaire's poem "Invitation au Voyage":
"Là tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté, luxe calme et volupté"
(There, all is order and beauty, luxury, peace and sensuality.)

When I read these quotes, I immediately think of Preraphaelite art, which is my idea of beautiful, inspiring and soul-fulfulling.

I had a love at first sight reaction when first encountering Preraphaelite art in my late teens. Over the years, my 'love' has not faded. Not sure how it fits with the idea that as you grow, your appreciation of what is beautiful changes. My appreciation for that art has never changed, maybe because there's something quite objectively beautiful about it? This type or art seems to "talk to" many people, whatever their background and artistic knowledge. As if there was something universal and transcendent about it.

When I look at those paintings I don't 'analyze' them or 'think' about them in any intellectual way. I just sit back and think 'Wow". It's my immediate reaction to something that I instinctively recognize as beautiful. Is it, objectively?

Adjectives coming to mind when looking at such paintings: striking, vivid, awe-inspiring, elegant, refined but not pretentious, conveying meaning and emotions of a purer kind. Pure lines, bright and harmonious colours, and an extraordinary attention to detail. Nothing muddy or opaque or vague. Everything is precise, sharp. It's figurative and often narrative. And you've got to admire the extraordinary skill of those painters.
The themes can be 'negative' like death, loss, melancholy or sadness but the depictions are never gruesome, obscene or dirty.

The creation of this thread has prompted me to search for more information about the Preraphaelites' stance on beauty and truth in art. I found several articles which I find interesting, highlighting the close relationship between preraphaelism and science. (I've copied them below)
I've never looked at it this way but it makes sense. Their paintings may draw from mythology, literature or an ancient mythicized past (often, the Middle-Ages), but they do depict the natural world, and the characters in it, in exquisite details, and truthfully. It's like the reality they depict is a kind of sublimated or 'enhanced' reality.
I think that in terms of honouring the creative principle, truth and beauty, the Preraphaelites come pretty close. This is, of course, my personal view.
After reading those articles, I think I begin to get an idea of why I (and many other people) find that type of art so compelling, timeless and "a joy forever, the lovelines of which always increases and will never pass into nothingness".
----
"Art rebels of their day, The Pre-Raphaelites were a collection of artists, writers and critics with a shared vision for their realist approach to art. Founded in 1848, their name stems from their rejection of the ideas promoted by the Royal Academy, at the time, of painting in the classical style of Raphael. They preferred the earlier Italian Renaissance style of artists from the quattrocento (the Italian name for the 1400s), who in the timeline of art history were – you guessed it – pre-Raphael.

The group weren’t only using art as a tool of expression. They had a lot to say and briefly produced a magazine to convey their ideas. John Holmes is a Professor of Victorian Literature and Culture who wrote The Pre-Raphaelites and Science, a book exploring the relationship the brotherhood had with scientific ways of thinking. He first became interested in this connection after teaching lessons on the Pre-Raphaelites’ short-lived journal, The Germ (interestingly, a scientific term for its name). Though it only produced four issues, John tells me that each one consistently wrote about the relationship between art and science.

The clues for their interrelationship with science are there if you know where to look. For example, the idea of speaking ‘truth to nature’ was a principle John Ruskin argued was an artist’s central purpose. ‘Ruskin was the leading art critic of the 1840s and 1850s, and he became a little bit of a mentor to Pre-Raphaelites,’ says John Holmes. ‘His ideas about truth to nature were similar to [the Pre-Raphaelites], but not exactly the same. They both felt that art should reflect what the painter sees. You shouldn’t presume that art should copy or imitate the practices of previous artists. Instead, there was a duty on the artist to look at what he or she saw in front of them and paint it with that truth, that accuracy, that precision.’

A desire to portray things realistically does have a scientific ring to it, but I was curious how much of an active role science played in Pre-Raphaelite thinking. Was it a small part of their ethos or was it central to their work?

‘[Frederic George Stephens] articulated very clearly in The Germ that, first of all, the artist’s standard of observation had to match that of a scientist,’ says John. ‘Secondly, for Stephens science was something that was very progressive... His view was that art, too, could progress in its own sphere morally and in its precision, truth and accuracy if it imitated the sciences.’

The art critics in the collective clearly laid out their ideas about the importance of scientific thinking, so if we consider this while viewing Pre-Raphaelite works, they take on new meaning.

TATE_TATE_N01506_10-001.jpg

Using one of the most popular paintings by John Everett Millais as an example, Ophelia offers insight into the collective’s scientific approach to art. Millais painted the scene en plein air for months to capture the environment accurately. ‘You’ve got two things going on,’ says John. ‘You’ve got science on the model of natural history – and that’s one of the things that recurs in their painting, particularly the landscape painting of Pre-Raphaelitism – but you’ve also got an active experiment... The experiment is what can art achieve through painting directly onto canvas in the open air, in a particular location over a period of time?’ The artists and even the models went to great lengths for the integrity of these experiments. Elizabeth Siddal, who modelled for Ophelia, became ill after sitting in a cold bath for hours (add: not very nice for poor Lizzie) so that Millais could accurately capture the effect of a woman floating in water.

Isabella.jpg

The Pre-Raphaelites weren’t just exploring natural sciences: they also had views on psychology, which at the time was deemed a slightly dubious branch of science. They believed that an artist could gain a better understanding of psychology through their practice than some of the questionable methods employed in this period (e.g. measuring a patient’s head). One way of exploring this was through the depiction of the dynamics between figures in a painting.

Looking at Millais’ Isabella, one can observe the underlying subtleties between the characters, where we see two brothers on the left displeased with their sister falling in love with a servant, seated to the right. This is a scene from the story Isabella, or the Pot of Basil, and proceeds the brothers murdering their sister’s lover. The artist went through several sketches of this work to land on this final version that gently communicates the internal thoughts of the players involved; it’s certainly a form of experimentation.

We can see the Pre-Raphaelites were carrying out their own art ‘experiments’ in the name of science, but the relationship with science was reciprocal. There were a number of scientists that valued their thoughts and became allies in their mission
. While some of their fellow artists rejected their theories, important scientific figures of the day, like Sir Richard Owen** embraced them.

(** Searched for "Richard Owen" on the forum and found this: "One of [Thomas Huxley's] early sponsors, and later his greatest opponent was the crown’s most favored zoologist, Richard Owen (1804-1892.) The two would be in a bitter war over fundamental issues of science and evolution for over 40 years. Owen would later call Thomas Huxley a pervert with “some perhaps congenital defect of mind” for denying the Devine will in Nature".)

‘There was a lot of respect for what they were doing,’ says John. ‘Scientists recognised that these were people that were trying to give art a new and serious programme through practices that the scientists could recognise.’ Through their relationship the scientific community, Pre-Raphaelite members were asked to consult on the building of the new Oxford University Museum of Natural History, and the decoration of the museum was based on Pre-Raphaelite principles of accuracy and attention to detail.

Source: Art Matters podcast: the Pre-Raphaelites’ relationship with science | Art UK
-----
"John Holmes may be said to have achieved the near impossible in finding a little studied aspect of Pre-Raphaelitism and producing a stimulating book covering not only painting and architecture but also poetry and prose, as befits the professor of Victorian literature and culture at Birmingham University.

Oxford Museum.jpg
A living ecosystem: one of the O’Shea brothers’ startlingly vivid carvings of a capital inside the Oxford Museum of Natural History

Tate Britain’s 2012 exhibition made a not wholly convincing attempt to promote the Pre-Raphaelites as the “Victorian avant-garde”. Holmes avoids this temptation, instead outlining what he calls “the Pre-Raphaelite project”, inaugurated in the pages of the Brotherhood’s short-lived magazine The Germ (1850) and linking all aspects of art and literature.

From first looking at The Germ, somewhat neglected by scholars, Holmes finds a rich seam in the relationship between art and science, recognising that the young Pre-Raphaelites had been born into a self-consciously modern, scientific age. Rarely read essays by Frederic Stephens and John Lucas Tupper, an anatomical illustrator, together with the poem Newton by Walter Deverell, are all seen to contribute to the overarching idea that adherence to fact and close study of the natural world assisted the moral purpose of art, a principle also promoted by Ruskin, who provided early public support for paintings shown at the Royal Academy. New thought about the relevance of deep scientific observation allows interesting discussion of familiar images such as Millais’s Ophelia (1851-52), Holman Hunt’s Hireling Shepherd (1851) and Dyce’s Pegwell Bay (1858-60).

The concept of science is expanded to include many subjects, including fundamentals such as chemistry and geology as well as anatomy, astronomy, geography and natural history (through the study of nature and landscape), and even psychology (as demonstrated in William Michael Rossetti’s little-known poem Mrs Holmes Grey).

The Pre-Raphaelites’ religious paintings can also be seen to have been influenced: although Christina Rossetti considered that science “existed under suffrance”, her brother William Michael could express in an essay of 1857, “The Externals of Sacred Art”, “every reason to believe that science could help to reach towards a fuller and truer understanding of the foundations of faith”. Natural theology, no longer in currency but much discussed in the mid-19th century, is considered in one chapter through its antithesis with scientific naturalism, as part of the Darwinian debate.

Architecture attracts Holmes’s chief attention, and there is no escaping the feeling that the book has developed out of stimulating new research on the genesis, construction and decoration in the 1850s and 1860s of the Oxford Museum, here called “the greatest single work of Pre-Raphaelite art”. This is not entirely a novel idea: at the 1862 International Exhibition the work of William Morris’s newly founded firm had been seen to embody a kind of “practical Pre-Raphaelitism”, but there has been little follow-up to this in modern scholarship.

Careful and intriguing analysis of the written sources and the visible evidence underpins the significance of the museum—Henry Acland, its co-founder with Ruskin, reconciling Darwinism with his belief in God as a divine artist, and the O’Shea brothers’ astonishing carvings shown to be not merely decorative but offering “a living ecosystem”.

----

"To rage against the tyranny of academic refinement, the PRB (Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood) proposed to follow John Ruskin’s call to go to nature and rejoice in its truth. Hunt later recounted that “the first principle of Pre-Raphaelitism was to eschew all that was conventional in contemporary art.” Rossetti’s brother William, also a founding member, summarized their artistic intent as follows:

"1, To have genuine ideas to express; 2, to study Nature attentively, so as to know how to express them; 3, to sympathise with what is direct and serious and heartfelt in previous art, to the exclusion of what is conventional and self-parading and learned by rote; and 4, and most indispensable of all, to produce thoroughly good pictures and statues."
(…)

The PRB’s application of their youthful ideals resulted in compositions such as Millais’s Mariana. The artist constructed a veritable world of details and textures, clearly demonstrating his skill as a painter, yet that was not his sole intent. Such exacting detail showed his ability to “study nature attentively” and to create a work that compelled the same of his viewer. Throughout the composition, Millais has left provocative visual puzzles for the viewer.

Mariana-by-John-Millais-T07553_H.jpg

There are other interesting themes and pockets of research in this judiciously illustrated study (half of the 150 plates are in colour), all benefiting from Yale’s impeccable editing and design. It concludes by reiterating that “the Pre-Raphaelite project… had brought a new rigour and intellectual independence to the arts”. While this may not convince every reader, it still stands as an original and useful addition to the literature."

Source: Truth & Beauty: The Pre-Raphaelites and the Old Masters | famsf-digital-stories

---
"Although Pre-Raphaelitism confessed a dedication to the natural world and reality, the subjects and themes of many Pre-Raphaelite works indicate a continued fascination with the medieval past. The short-lived Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood opposed what they conceived of as the 'trivialities' of the academic art establishment and aimed to create a moral, truthful art (Wood 10). As the name suggests, the Pre-Raphaelite goal was to return to the historic past in order to create a new modern art. In effect, by returning to Northern Renaissance and Medieval art, the Pre-Raphaelites sought to recreate art history through revitalizing an art-that-never-was.

The Pre-Raphaelites were essentially interested in establishing a moral truthfulness in art and literature. In aspiring to a photographic realism and fidelity to nature in both painting and poetry, the Pre-Raphaelites embraced Ruskin's advice to "go to nature in all singleness of heart... rejecting nothing, selecting nothing and scorning nothing; believing all things to be right and good, and rejoicing always in the truth." (Wood 10). The Pre-Raphaelites believed that by representing nature as realistically as possible, they could create a moral beauty and truer art. At the same time, this adherence to every natural detail borders on the unreal; the human eye is unable to conceive of every fact and detail, the human brain unable to process this wealth of information. Ruskin attacks precisely this inability of his contemporaries to embrace all the real truths and moral beauty in Modern Painters (Hough 9), which was read by and influenced nearly all the founding Pre-Raphaelites.

Here, at the edges of a heightened realism exists the realm of fantasy. The project of fantasy remains closely related to the boundaries of conventional reality. The fantastical should, and does, elicit wonder by means of elements of the supernatural or the impossible (Mathews 2). However, in order to apprehend impossibility, one must first understand the boundaries of the possible. In his study on fantasy, Eric S. Rabkin contends that only after the ground rules of reality have been established can the fantastic be achieved (4). The fantastic is, in actual fact, merely a step away from reality and exists in this distance from reality.

Indeed, the later Pre-Raphaelites reconciled their quest to represent realistic nature and moral realism in a fantastical romanticism. Thus while the members of the PRB such as Millais painted highly realistic and historically accurate scenes that drew from biblical or at most Shakespearean subjects, the aesthetics of the later movement looked to chivalric themes and Arthurian tales. From paintings such as Hunt's The Lady of Shalott to Millais's Ophelia, the heightened color palette, sharp lines and medieval garb of the ladies indicate an interest in the historical past that exemplifies the fascination in pseudo-medievalized semi-mythological worlds explored by other Pre-Raphaelites and their followers. In his study on literary fantasy, Rabkin argues that the roots of this widespread Pre-Raphaelite fascination with the medieval lay in the movement's attempt to "reverse history" and to "restore 'Nature' to English painting ... [through a] romanticized medieval style that they saw as recalling the harmonious age before the Renaissance emergence of Raphael." (199).

The_Lady_of_Shalott_by_William_Holman_Hunt,_c._1890-1905,_oil_on_canvas_-_Wadsworth_Atheneum_-...jpg

The almost obsessive detail and rich colors of these works create fantastical beauty and indicate sublime meaning. For instance, in The Lady of Shalott , Hunt directs the viewer's gaze to the cracked mirror behind the cursed lady. A frieze on the right hand side of this mirror shows the infant Christ with the Virgin and opposes the opposite mural of Hercules completing the Eleventh labor in the act of stealing the golden apples of the Hesperides. These paired images of Christian and pagan salvation add a deeper morality to the doomed Arthurian tableaux in the foreground. By means of the creation of a heightened reality and natural symbolism, the Pre-Raphaelites aimed to engage the modern imagination and consciousness."

(.…)

Both Morris's poetry and literature reflect this romantic realism. The Defense of Guenevere and other Poems was vilified by Victorian literary critics precisely because of Morris's connection with the Pre-Raphaelites. The Athenaeum, a contemporary literary quarterly, trumpeted the prevailing sentiment that Morris poems were a collection of "Pre-Raphaelite Minstrelsy" and "A curiosity which shows how far affection may lead an earnest man toward the fog-land of art." (Litzenberg 423). Morris's close connections to Pre-Raphaelitism continued to be hailed or vilified in literary circles as, as The Literary World , another Victorian literary periodical, claimed in 1896, Morris was "the most distinguished figure" of the Pre-Raphaelite school (Litzenberg 422).

The basis for critics of The Defense of Guenevere and other Poems such as The Athenaeum lay in the poetry's pseudo-medieval settings and Arthurian romanticisms. This was seen to be "affection" and too far removed from reality to engage or affect the audience. In fact, the aesthetics sought to engage through alienation. By distancing the audience from conventional reality, truth could be viewed objectively. Moreover, the pseudo-historicity of such fantastic worlds introduced the possibility of symbolism and associations beyond what was immediately apparent "
(…)
According to Ruskin, the acceptance of fantasy creates a more powerful reality precisely because this utilizes human rationality and represents a choice rather than coercion. In this manner, the Pre-Raphaelite pursuit of a higher truth necessarily requires the element of fantasy that requires the viewer to engage in the work and choose to believe."

Source: Defining Pre-Raphaelite Realism

This is a big subject and one where no doubt everyone would / should have an opinion.

The subject is like the vast ocean where one could easily get lost unless they know where they are navigating to and have the prerequisite ability to maintain course and not get lost.

Personally, I'm not sure what opinion I can have on it and how I should structure this so that it could mean something or touch upon the heart of something that is beyond scale which traverses both objectivity and subjectivity in a seamless way, unlike most other things.

So, as I have no opinion of my own, I shall revert to the view of those who devoted their life to exploring the subject.

This is an interesting video on Kant's view on beauty interlaced by the presenters thoughts. Quite interesting in places especially when it distinguished between beauty, the sublime, disinterested beauty and the notions of function / utility in beauty.

This is also a good one. Talks about the desecration of beauty in the modern art movements - she talks about how beauty became a taboo word. She explores the connection of beauty to the divine. She essentially states that beauty is a pointer to the divine, to God. She also talks about Hume who seemed to say beauty is purely subjective and only exists in the mind / eye of the beholder as opposed to being in the object itself. Hume sounds like he was an intellectual twat.

I've developed an opinion after listening to the above videos. 🤪

On the sublime, here are examples in movies that to me touched this.

Gladiator as a whole I found to almost touch the sublime.

I found the last scene on midnight special touched something in me that created the sense of awe and wander

I suppose it's to do with something being visceral, vast, scary, awe-inspiring, dare I say beautiful all in one.

With beauty itself, I think form, symmetry, skill and care of the artist translates something to be beautiful in my eye. I do believe beauty is intrinsic in the object but the ability to appreciate this (or not) resides within the beholders eye / mind. The beholder is a subjective being and so there will be this interaction between his subjectivity and the objectivity of the object as they interact - in terms of his / her perception and interpretation of the object.

Personally, I find classical Greek marble statues to be beautiful. I find some of the old paintings to be beautiful (but not all). I think there's beauty in the form of some bodies, animal and human, male and female. For example, a wild cat e.g. a black Jaguar is both beautiful and terrifying, in its elegance, grace and strength. A deer likewise has quite a beautiful form and has quite the ability to be agile and quick in movement. Human bodies of well defined shape and physique are also undeniably beautiful. Beauty is also beyond the physical, it can be auditory, it can be in intellectual form etc.

At the same time, this adherence to every natural detail borders on the unreal; the human eye is unable to conceive of every fact and detail, the human brain unable to process this wealth of information. Ruskin attacks precisely this inability of his contemporaries to embrace all the real truths and moral beauty in Modern Painters (Hough 9), which was read by and influenced nearly all the founding Pre-Raphaelites.

Here, at the edges of a heightened realism exists the realm of fantasy. The project of fantasy remains closely related to the boundaries of conventional reality. The fantastical should, and does, elicit wonder by means of elements of the supernatural or the impossible (Mathews 2). However, in order to apprehend impossibility, one must first understand the boundaries of the possible. In his study on fantasy, Eric S. Rabkin contends that only after the ground rules of reality have been established can the fantastic be achieved (4). The fantastic is, in actual fact, merely a step away from reality and exists in this distance from reality.

I think the author here goes a little on a tangent. Preraphaelite paintings, in their close attention to details, create an atmosphere that is beyond time. It is dream-like, as in those dreams that are more real than real. So maybe, by this realism in oberving/knowing/loving nature, the senses border not on the fantastical, the imaginary, or the unreal as the author suggests, but on the edge that separates the real and the more than real if that makes any sense. Speculating here.

That would be something like the following:

nothingness - unreal - real - hyperreal - ...

modern artists move from the real to the unreal/abstract/nonsense. Preraphaelites perhaps tried to move from the real to the hyper-real. Something like that.

I think the author here goes a little on a tangent. Preraphaelite paintings, in their close attention to details, create an atmosphere that is beyond time. It is dream-like, as in those dreams that are more real than real. So maybe, by this realism in oberving/knowing/loving nature, the senses border not on the fantastical, the imaginary, or the unreal as the author suggests, but on the edge that separates the real and the more than real if that makes any sense. Speculating here.

That would be something like the following:

nothingness - unreal - real - hyperreal - ...

modern artists move from the real to the unreal/abstract/nonsense. Preraphaelites perhaps tried to move from the real to the hyper-real. Something like that.
Without getting into a further discussion of poetry, should not the hyper-realism theme include the romantic poets? Specifically John Keats' Endymion and Ode On A Grecian Urn come to mind. Fwiw

And WOW, "Mariana" was otherworldly. She was so realistic, she could have stepped out of that painting and no one would have noticed.

This topic was a real pleasure. All of the knowledge imparted of the preraphaelite movement by @Adaryn , the aesthetic beauty of the preraphaelite works, and the contributions of other posters, contributed to an enjoyable and unforgettable learning experience.
A big thank-you.:thup:

From the 4th book in the Huxtable series:

"It was humid and very warm inside the greenhouse. Ot was filled with large banks of ferns down the center and orange trees around the glass walls. It was also deserted.
'How very lovely,' she said, standing still behind the central bank and tipping back her head to breathe in the scent of the foliage. 'Do you think it would be eternally lovely to live in a tropical land, Mr Huxtable?'
'Unrelenting heat,' he said. 'Bugs. Diseases.'
'Ah.' She lowered her head to look at him. 'The ugliness at the heart of beauty. Is there always ugliness, do you suppose? Even when the object is very, very beautiful?'
Her eyes were suddenly huge and fathomless. And sad.
'Not always,' he said. I prefer to believe the opposite - that there is always an indestructible beauty at the heart of darkness.'
'Indestructible,' she said softly. 'You are an optimist, then.'
'There is nothing else to be,' he said, 'if one's human existence is to be bearable.'
It is,' she said, 'very easy to despair. We always live on the cliff edge of tragedy, do we not?'
'Yes,' he said. 'The secret is never to give in to the urge to jump off voluntarily.'

J. Krishnamurti spoke in 1984 on two questions of beauty:

What is beauty? Why do we like things that are beautiful?

The first question in some ways (wordless really) comes to the deep magnificence of something - a view; sunset, a river, a cathedral et cetera, et cetera, its a feeling devoid of language and self, it just is...

In the second question, Krishnamurti discusses beauty and ugliness juxtaposed, using Bombay as example, and yet what is observed in each situation. What of the room, cleanliness, organized, even among the chaos around it?

Here is a short talk of a big subject, yet it simple beauty that is:

The Laura and the C's broach beauty here in terms of STS and STO with its key:

Q: On many occasions you have said that the ideal thing is to have perfect balance of physicality and ethereality. This has been said on a number of occasions. Now, I don't understand how it can be that gratification of a physical body can be the mechanics by which one is entrapped? Is it not gratifying to look at something beautiful? Is it wrong, sinful, or a form of a fall, to look at beauty, to hear something beautiful such as music, or to touch something that is sensually delightful such as a piece of silk or the skin of a loved one? These various things that the human being derives pleasure from very often elevate them to a spiritual state.

A: Possession is the key

Makes sense, what lengths one will go to possess.

I'm with Adaryn on the PRB art. I have two examples of this type of art hanging in my bedroom.

The key, I think, is in this, quoted by Adaryn:

According to Ruskin, the acceptance of fantasy creates a more powerful reality precisely because this utilizes human rationality and represents a choice rather than coercion. In this manner, the Pre-Raphaelite pursuit of a higher truth necessarily requires the element of fantasy that requires the viewer to engage in the work and choose to believe."

This ties in with the reading project and the quote from same by Jones:

From the 4th book in the Huxtable series:

"It was humid and very warm inside the greenhouse. It was filled with large banks of ferns down the center and orange trees around the glass walls. It was also deserted.
'How very lovely,' she said, standing still behind the central bank and tipping back her head to breathe in the scent of the foliage. 'Do you think it would be eternally lovely to live in a tropical land, Mr Huxtable?'
'Unrelenting heat,' he said. 'Bugs. Diseases.'
'Ah.' She lowered her head to look at him. 'The ugliness at the heart of beauty. Is there always ugliness, do you suppose? Even when the object is very, very beautiful?'
Her eyes were suddenly huge and fathomless. And sad.
'Not always,' he said. I prefer to believe the opposite - that there is always an indestructible beauty at the heart of darkness.'
'Indestructible,' she said softly. 'You are an optimist, then.'
'There is nothing else to be,' he said, 'if one's human existence is to be bearable.'
It is,' she said, 'very easy to despair. We always live on the cliff edge of tragedy, do we not?'
'Yes,' he said. 'The secret is never to give in to the urge to jump off voluntarily.'

I am aware that Ra noted that "The All blinks neither at the darkness nor the light" and that "some love darkness." That is reflective of the STO vs STS pathways. Perhaps one can tell a person's pathway or orientation by what sort of art and music they "love"? Of course, we must remember that a lot of what people think/feel is programmed into them by their society and culture, so a person who is deep in the illusions of their false personality might "love" things that reflect an STS orientation when that is not actually the impulse of their true being/nature. And vice versa, I suppose.

One is reminded of William Blake's "Auguries of Innocence", from which the following is an extract:

Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
We are led to Believe a Lie
When we see not Thro the Eye
Which was Born in a Night to perish in a Night
When the Soul Slept in Beams of Light
God Appears & God is Light
To those poor Souls who dwell in Night
But does a Human Form Display
To those who Dwell in Realms of day

Thanks for sharing those couple of articles Adaryn. There definitely is a spectrum from the hyperrealistic to the iconographic. The iconographic is that in which the all the visual elements needed to convey some minimum concept, such as for example a smiling emoji to describe a certain emotion. :-) Some depict art as a triangular continuum, where realism and iconography are balanced by abstraction, which imo just takes concepts and tries to deconstruct them as much as possible to test the boundaries between our concepts and objects. These types of artwork may be good in the study of human perception and cognition, but it imo certainly doesn't belong on anybody's wall, since the point of art is to convey concepts, and good art does that easily.

The Preraphaelite painters have excellent attention to detail to make hyperrealistic paintings. Of the three paintings shared by Adaryn I enjoyed Ophelia the most, and had mixed feelings about the content of the other paintings until I learned more about their subject matter. Perhaps I enjoyed Ophelia because I already knew what it was about (Hamlet).

For context, Mariana:
The image depicts the solitary Mariana from William Shakespeare's Measure for Measure, as retold in Tennyson's 1830 poem "Mariana". The painting is regarded as an example of Millais's "precision, attention to detail, and stellar ability as a colorist".[1] It has been held by Tate Britain since 1999. In Shakespeare's Measure for Measure, written between 1601 and 1606, Mariana was a woman who was about to be married, but she was rejected by her fiancé Angelo when her dowry was lost in the shipwreck that also killed her brother. She retreated to a solitary existence in a moated house. Five years later, Angelo was tricked into consummating their betrothal. Tennyson retold the tale in his 1830 poem "Mariana", and returned to it in his 1832 poem "Mariana in the South".

Millais was a founding member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, a group of English artists who came together in 1848 with the goal of renewing British painting. They found in the art of the early Italian Renaissance—before Raphael—a sincerity of purpose and clarity of form that they sought to emulate.[2] The Pre-Raphaelites frequently used allegorical images to create a narrative to teach a moral virtue or virtues, and sometimes used contemporary literature as inspiration for their paintings, which often include numerous details that allow the viewer to "read" the painting.

The painting depicts a woman in a long blue dress, standing up from the embroidery laid out before her to stretch her back. Her upholstered stool and the table are set before a Gothic window with stained glass, through which can be seen a garden with leaves are turning from green to autumnal brown. Some leaves have fallen on the embroidery, and more onto the bare wooden floorboards beside a small mouse. In the background, a small triptych, a silver casket and candles have been set out as a devotional altar on a piece of furniture covered with white cloth beside the curtain of a bed.

The work is painted on a mahogany panel, primed with a white ground, and measures 49.5 cm × 59.7 cm (19.5 in × 23.5 in). It may have been painted wet-on-wet on a second ground, with graphite underdrawing. The paint is thinly applied in some areas to enhance the reflective effect of the white ground, but thickly applied in others. The woman's blue dress is painted with two blue pigments, Prussian blue and ultramarine.

The painting is packed with details that help the viewer to read the narrative of the work from Tennyson's poetry. The autumn leaves indicate a story about waiting and the passage of time. The woman's arched back makes it seem like she has been sitting too long and she must stand up to stretch before she sits back at her work, but her posture also emphasises her bust and hips. The roll of completed embroidery on the table gives the viewer a clue as to how long Mariana has been working on it.

The altar in the background may be a reference to Mariana's fervent prayers to the Virgin Mary in "Mariana in the South". The stained glass in the window shows an Annunciation scene, with the Angel Gabriel and the Virgin Mary, based on a window at the east end of the chapel of Merton College, Oxford, and also an invented coat of arms with a snowdrop and the Latin motto "In coelo quies" ("In Heaven there is rest"), possibly a reference to the feast of St Agnes' Eve and John Keats's poem The Eve of St Agnes.

Many of the details in the painting relate directly to Tennyson's poetry. For example, the little mouse in the bottom right corner is a detail directly from the poem: "the mouse behind the mouldering wainscots shriek'd or from the crevice peer'd about". An anecdote reports that the mouse was drawn from life – or rather death, as it was killed by Millais after it scurried across the floor and hid behind some furniture so he could immortalise it.

Together, Millais's painting and Tennyson's poem create an intriguing storyline for the reader to follow.[4] However, Millais's painting departs from Tennyson's narrative in some respects. The Mariana depicted by Millais is placed in a scene filled with vibrant colours; she is not the forlorn woman described by Tennyson, unwilling to live an independent life, confined to a dilapidated retreat, with a " mouldering wainscots".

In turn, Millais's painting was an inspiration for Elizabeth Gaskell's 1853 novel, Ruth. Tennyson's Mariana and Gaskell's main character Ruth are both sensitive to the sounds around them and are constantly looking out of their window in image that represents their imprisonment within their homes. The image of Mariana used by Tennyson and the later works are equally of a woman who is weary.

Lady of Shallot:
The poem's subject is shut in a tower overlooking the river that runs to Camelot, cursed to never look outwards or to leave her room, and able to see the outside world only via a mirror, weaving its reflections into a tapestry web. A sneaked glance at Sir Lancelot brings about catastrophe, however, and as she looks upon him, the mirror cracks and the curse comes to pass. She leaves her tower and clambers into a boat to meet her fate.

Holman Hunt has depicted the moment when the curse comes upon the Lady of Shalott, rather than portraying her doomed journey, as others have done. As the mirror breaks, the threads of the unravelling tapestry ape her wild hair, startling some doves, and the whole picture conveys the chaos, shock, panic and confusion of her state of mind. Weavers at the time would put a looking-glass on the far side of their tapestry for a better all-round view, so this really is a breakdown of order. The one in this painting harks back to the convex mirror in Van Eyck's The Arnolfini Portrait, a work admired by the Pre-Raphaelites.
The Three Fates at the top emphasise the point that facing one's duties leads to rewards in the after-life, so Hunt, a devout Christian, may have been comparing the artist's integrity with the temptations of celebrity and other pressures that the Lady of Shalott could not resist. The three founders of the group, William Holman Hunt, Dante Gabriel Rosetti and John Everett Millais, drew in some younger members as time went on, with Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris taking the concept to a more mystical and stylised level, leaving Burne-Jones as perhaps the best-known of the pre-Raphaelites today. The Lady of Shalott was also painted by John William Waterhouse, an artist closely related to the Brotherhood.

While I could sort of see what Mariana was getting at on the face of it, the leaves and mouse indoors didn't seem very realistic to me. In Lady of Shallot I had no idea what was going on until I read what it was alluding to.

So it seems like in art there is a scale of how much esoteric knowledge you must have. For example, in Mariana there is a depiction of the annunciation of Mary, which foreshadows an uplifting turn of events for the unfortunate Mariana. Would a random individual looking at this, especially today, be able to have read that much information and meaning into the stained glass depiction without knowing? On the other hand there is artwork which requires very little context in order to understand; for example in the two paintings below:

8ffecb0c96a68d451e7f93ec101adb9e.jpg
3ba7ce57f083e1cbccb3ed5c60ca1966.jpg

The styles are different but the subject matter is similar. I was wondering what people's impressions were of the differences or similarities between the two, especially in how one feels?

For myself, barring the difference in artistic skill, I think the more realistic one conveys a lot more in subtle visual cues to convey the emotion of motherly care and repose strictly in their postures and actions. Whereas in the former a lot of the emoting is assisted through the use of warm colors and icons of moons, flowers, and so on. I think someone who had less effective sensorimotor processing, especially with mirror neurons, would have a harder time assimilating some of the emotional material of the latter, whereas the former has more emotional cues to assist an individual. Many people who are on the autistic spectrum have difficulty deciphering non-verbal cues such as body language.

I shared the above compare/contrast experiment because I think comparing two very similar paintings but not identical and seeing what differences they stir in your thoughts and feelings can be one of the ways we can isolate the types of details our minds isolate and glean for information from art.

Since this thread piqued my interest I decided to check out what kind of neuroscience has been done in analyzing how people process art in their brains. Some of the details on the wiki page were quite interesting.

According to wikipedia there are three major frameworks of the study of neuroesthetics:

The aesthetic triad​

Aesthetic experiences are an emergent property of interactions among a triad of neural systems that involve sensory-motor, emotion-valuation, and meaning-knowledge circuitry.[10][16]

The visual brain segregates visual elements like luminance, color, and motion, as well as higher order objects like faces, bodies, and landscapes. Aesthetic encounters engage these sensory systems. For example, gazing at Van Gogh’s dynamic paintings evokes a subjective sense of movement and activates visual motion areas MT+.[17] Portraits activate the face area in the fusiform gyrus (FFA) and landscape paintings activate the place area in the parahippocampal gyrus (PPA).[18] Beyond classifying visual elements, these sensory areas may also be involved in evaluating them. Beautiful faces activate the fusiform face and adjacent areas.[19] The question of how much and what kind of valuation takes place in sensory cortices is an area of active inquiry.

Looking at paintings that depict actions also engages parts of people’s motor systems. This engagement taps into the extended mirror neuron system. Mirror neurons, first discovered in monkeys, are neurons that respond to both the execution and perception of actions.[20] A similar system exists in humans.[21] This system resonates when people infer the intent of artistic gestures or observe the consequences of actions such as in Lucio Fontana’s cut canvases. This subtle motor engagement may represent an embodied element of our empathetic responses to visual art.[22][23]

The pleasure that people derive from looking at beautiful objects automatically engages general reward circuitry.[24] For example, attractive faces activate the FFA[19] and parts of the ventral striatum[25] even when people are not thinking explicitly about the attractiveness of these faces. The orbito- and medial-frontal cortex, the ventral striatum, anterior cingulate and insula respond to beautiful visual images[26][27][28][29] and the medial orbitofrontal cortex and adjacent cingulate cortex respond to different sources of pleasures including music[30] and even architectural spaces.[31]

Kirk and colleagues[32] investigated the effects of expectations on neural responses. People rated abstract “art-like” images as more attractive if labeled as being from a museum than labeled as generated by a computer. This preference was accompanied by greater neural activity in the medial orbitofrontal and ventromedial prefrontal cortex. Thinking an image was a museum piece also produced activity in the entorhinal cortex, suggesting that people’s expectations draw on memories that enhance (or probably also diminish) visual pleasure. Similarly, Lacey and colleagues[33] found that people’s ventral striatum and parts of the orbitofrontal cortex were more responsive to the “art status” than to the actual content of visual images. Huang and colleagues[34] found that people have different neural responses when told that they are looking at an authentic or copied Rembrandt portrait. Authentic portraits evoked orbitofrontal activity, whereas copies evoked neural responses in the frontopolar cortex and the right precuneus. The implication of these studies is that context and knowledge beyond the sensory qualities of visual images demonstrably affects people’s neural activity in aesthetic experiences.

Semir Zeki's laws of the visual brain​

Semir Zeki, professor of neuroesthetics at the University College of London, views art as an example of the variability of the brain.[35][36][37] Thus a neurological approach to the source of this variability may explain particular subjective experiences as well as the ranges of abilities to create and experience art. Zeki theorizes that artists unconsciously use techniques to create visual art to study the brain. Zeki suggests that

"...the artist is in a sense, a neuroscientist, exploring the potentials and capacities of the brain, though with different tools. How such creations can arouse aesthetic experiences can only be fully understood in neural terms. Such an understanding is now well within our reach."[38]
He proposes two supreme laws of the visual brain:

Constancy​

Despite the changes that occur when processing visual stimuli (distance, viewing angle, illumination, etc.), the brain has the unique ability to retain knowledge of constant and essential properties of an object and discard irrelevant dynamic properties. This applies not only to the ability to, for example, always see a banana as the color yellow but also the recognition of faces at varying angles.

Comparatively, a work of art captures the essence of an object. The creation of art itself may be modeled off of this primitive neural function. The process of painting for example involves distilling an object down to represent it as it really is, which differs from the way the eyes see it. Zeki also tried to represent the Platonic Ideal and the Hegelian Concept through the statement: forms do not have an existence without a brain and the ability for stored memory, referring to how artists such as Monet could paint without knowing what the objects are in order to capture their true form.[39]

Abstraction​

This process refers to the hierarchical coordination where a general representation can be applied to many particulars, allowing the brain to efficiently process visual stimuli. The ability to abstract may have evolved as a necessity due to the limitations of memory. In a way, art externalizes the functions of abstraction in the brain. The process of abstraction is unknown to cognitive neurobiology. However, Zeki proposes an interesting question of whether there is a significant difference in the pattern of brain activity when viewing abstract art as opposed to representational art.[35]

This section was enjoyable because it deconstructed further some of the ways we can look at a piece of art.

Ramachandran's eight laws of artistic experience​

Vilayanur S. Ramachandran and his fellow researchers including William Hirstein, developed a highly speculative theory of human artistic experience and the neural mechanisms that mediate it.[7] These "laws" combine to develop underlying high order concepts of the human artistic experience. Although not all encompassing as there are undoubtedly many other principles of artistic experience, the theorists claim that they provide a framework for understanding aspects of visual art, aesthetics and design. Although testing of these principles quantitatively may provide future evidence for specific areas of the brain responsible for one kind of aesthetic appeal, the theory faces substantial philosophical and historical objections.

Peak shift principle​

This psychological phenomenon is typically known for its application in animal discrimination learning. In the peak shift effect, animals sometimes respond more strongly to exaggerated versions of the training stimuli. For instance, a rat is trained to discriminate a square from a rectangle by being rewarded for recognizing the rectangle. The rat will respond more frequently to the object for which it is being rewarded to the point that a rat will respond to a rectangle that is longer and more narrow with a higher frequency than the original with which it was trained. This is called a supernormal stimulus. The fact that the rat is responding more to a 'super' rectangle implies that it is learning a rule.

This effect can be applied to human pattern recognition and aesthetic preference. Some artists attempt to capture the very essence of something in order to evoke a direct emotional response. In other words, they try to make a 'super' rectangle to get the viewer to have an enhanced response. To capture the essence of something, an artist amplifies the differences of that object, or what makes it unique, to highlight the essential features and reduce redundant information. This process mimics what the visual areas of the brain have evolved to do and more powerfully activates the same neural mechanisms that were originally activated by the original object.[7]

Some artists deliberately exaggerate creative components such as shading, highlights, and illumination to an extent that would never occur in a real image to produce a caricature. These artists may be unconsciously producing heightened activity in the specific areas of the brain in a manner that is not obvious to the conscious mind. A significant portion of the experience of art is not self-consciously reflected upon by audiences, so it is not clear whether the peak-shift thesis has any special explanatory power in understanding the creation and reception of art.

Isolation​

Isolating a single visual cue helps the organism allocate attention to the output of a single module, thereby allowing it to more effectively enjoy the peak shift along the dimensions represented in that module.[7] In other words, there is a need to isolate the desired visual form before that aspect is amplified. This is why an outline drawing or sketch is sometimes more effective as art than an original color photograph. For example, a cartoonist may exaggerate certain facial features which are unique to the character and remove other forms which it shares such as skin tones. This efficiency prevents non-unique features from detracting from the image. This is why one can predict that an outline drawing would be more aesthetically pleasing than a color photograph.

The viewers attention is drawn towards this single area allowing one's attention to be focused on this source of information. Enhancements introduced by the artist more carefully noted resulting in the amplification of limbic system activation and reinforcement.

Grouping​

Perceptual grouping to delineate a figure from the background may be enjoyable. The source of the pleasure may have come about because of the evolutionary necessity to give organisms an incentive to uncover objects, such as predators, from noisy environments. For example, when viewing ink blots, the visual system segments the scene to defeat camouflage and link a subset of splotches together. This may be accomplished most effectively if limbic reinforcement is fed back to early vision at every stage of visual processing leading up to the discovery of the object. The key idea is that due to the limited attentional resources, constant feedback facilitates processing of features at earlier stages due to the discovery of a clue which produces limbic activation to draw one's attention to important features.[7] Though not spontaneous, this reinforcement is the source of the pleasant sensation. The discovery of the object itself results in a pleasant 'aha' revelation causing the organism to hold onto the image.

An artist can make use of this phenomenon by teasing the system. This allows for temporary binding to be communicated by a signal to the limbic system for reinforcement which is a source of the aesthetic experience.

Contrast​

Extracting contrast involves eliminating redundant information and focusing attention. Cells in the retina, the lateral geniculate body or relay station in the brain, and in the visual cortex respond predominantly to step changes in luminance rather than homogeneous surface colors. Smooth gradients are much harder for the visual system to detect rather than segmented divisions of shades resulting in easily detectable edges. Contrasts due to the formation of edges may be pleasing to the eye. The importance of the visual neuron's varying responses to the orientation and presence of edges has previously been proven by David H. Hubel and Torsten Wiesel.[40] This may hold evolutionary significance since regions of contrast are information rich requiring reinforcement and the allocation of attention. In contrast to the principle of grouping, contrasting features are typically in close proximity eliminating the need to link distant, but similar features.

Perceptual problem solving​

Tied to the detection of contrast and grouping is the concept that discovery of an object after a struggle is more pleasing than one which is instantaneously obvious. The mechanism ensures that the struggle is reinforcing so that the viewer continues to look until the discovery. From a survival point of view, this may be important for the continued search for predators. Ramachandran suggests for the same reason that a model whose hips and breasts are about to be revealed is more provocative than one who is already completely naked.[7] A meaning that is implied is more alluring than one that is explicit.

The generic viewpoint​

The visual system dislikes interpretations which rely on a unique vantage point. Rather it accepts the visual interpretation for which there is an infinite set of viewpoints that could produce the class of retinal images. For example, in a landscape image, it will interpret an object in the foreground as obscuring an object in the background, rather than assuming that the background figure has a piece missing.

In theory, if an artist is trying to please the eye, they should avoid such coincidences.[7] However, in certain applications, the violation of this principle can also produce a pleasing effect.

Visual metaphors​

Ramachandran defines a metaphor as a mental tunnel between two concepts that appear grossly dissimilar on the surface, but instead share a deeper connection. Similar to the effects of perceptual problem solving, grasping an analogy is rewarding. It enables the viewer to highlight crucial aspects that the two objects share. Although it is uncertain whether the reason for this mechanism is for effective communication or purely cognitive, the discovery of similarities between superficially dissimilar events leads to activation of the limbic system to create a rewarding process.[7]

Support for this view is highlighted by the symptoms of Capgras delusion, where sufferers experience reduced facial recognition due to impairments in the connections from the inferotemporal cortex to the amygdala, which is responsible for emotions. The result is that a person no longer experiences the warm fuzzy feeling when presented with a familiar face. A person's 'glow' is lost through what is suggested as due to the lack of limbic activation.

Symmetry​

The aesthetic appeal of symmetry is easily understandable. Biologically it is important during the detection of a predator, location of prey, and the choosing of a mate as all of these tend to display symmetry in nature. It complements other principles relating to the discovering of information rich objects. Additionally, evolutionary biologists suggest that the predisposition towards symmetry is because biologically, asymmetry is associated with infection and disease,[7] which can lead to poor mate selection. However, departures from symmetry in visual art are also widely considered beautiful, suggesting that while symmetry may explain the judgment that a particular individual's face is beautiful, it cannot explain the judgment that a work of art is beautiful.

I am aware that Ra noted that "The All blinks neither at the darkness nor the light" and that "some love darkness." That is reflective of the STO vs STS pathways. Perhaps one can tell a person's pathway or orientation by what sort of art and music they "love"? Of course, we must remember that a lot of what people think/feel is programmed into them by their society and culture, so a person who is deep in the illusions of their false personality might "love" things that reflect an STS orientation when that is not actually the impulse of their true being/nature. And vice versa, I suppose.

We can probably appreciate Ra's statement from a philosophical or theoretical viewpoint. As created, subjective beings still learning a lot of lessons I think it wouldn't be in our best interests to be completely unbiased in what we blink at. So I'm sure aesthetic taste is woven into our DNA, for example in how we prefer to look at paintings with people or animals in them. Going deeper into this, there may be some pre-programmed "pattern of reality" we are designed to perceive, or due to morphogenic/information fields have historically perceived because our ancestors did. DNA damage due to karma, pollution, and the like probably can play a role in distorting that as well, in addition to however the soul's karma merges with the DNA during conception to orient one's lifeline in one direction or another.

It's interesting what happens, after paying close attention to one's psychic hygiene and refining one's emotions and aesthetic tastes, when you examine art or music that is orthogonal to the truth and reality that your unconscious primes you to pursue. You can feel repulsed by it. It's like quitting gluten, dairy, and sugar for years then having a stack of pancakes with whipped cream and maple syrup - the only difference is the effects are immediate since they come from sensory impressions instead of post-digestion inflammation or insulin shock. But some people can eat garbage and still feel great, and the same goes with art too. But I definitly still think it isn't "good" for them ultimately, except perhaps to faciliate certain lessons.

Back
Top Bottom