Books for teenagers

Laure

The Force is Strong With This One
Hello

Since I finished reading the Wave I talk about it a lot with my children (14 and 16 years old) my son is not receptive, he has reactions of rejection but I know that he listens anyway. My daughter, who is older, is more interested so we talk about it regularly. She told me that she also talks about it with friends, that it's not easy because she doesn't understand everything.
There are some things I can't explain either 😅.
And I don't want them to take at face value what I say, maybe I'm missing the point...
The Wave is too complicated for teenagers to read,
are there books within their reach?
Well and we are french.... French Books...😁?

Thank you

L'attrape-coeur, de JD Salinger,
translated from The Catcher in the Rye . Written by a teenage boy, about troubles he crossed through during this period of his life

I've just been telling my kids about the importance of reading and learning life skills with books, gave him the first book I read( well when I left school that is, when my curiosity was telling me " there must be more" than what we've been taught.)
The book was Anam cara by John O Doneghue. Probably a bit too heavy so I gave him Celestine prophecy by James Redfield, a bit more adventurous.
Ive just told him about 'the catcher in the rye' and he's going to try to find this in the library if we get out of lockdown....
I think there's nothing better than to show how good reading is for their imagination, learning and soul journey.
Beats playing PlayStation and computer games I would think, we've put these things under new year lockdown😅, happy reading.

Thank you everyone

Well i didn't tell you but m'y son doesn't like read and my daughter is dyslexique... (She mixes up the letters when she reads... Not easy to understand in these conditions)

Another challenge to achieve... 😅

I have one younger daughter who loves reading books since she was 7, she's now 10 and even teaches her younger brother who's 8. My older lad,14, has been working with me since he was 10 and I feel it's right time to explore deeper understanding of other views on life rather than our view as parents.
We home school our kids and we got rid of our telly about 11 years ago.
Now in saying that, he has got a telly and Xbox given to him from his uncle, which we use for DVD's and games. We don't want to make them feel that there left out, especially when there friends are around, but we would like to teach them there's more to life to understand. Sorry for ranting on....
Harry Potter books might be a good start rather than Celestine prophecy just now. Will give it a go, thanks Naorma.😊..........

Maybe some books by Rampa? At 14 I used to read him.

La Guerre des Mondes par H-G. Wells

La machine a voyager dans le temps by the same author

But I am not sure what kind of books you want for your kids.

When you can do also is to read the same book everyone like in a Club Book and once a week have a meeting, with cookies, some drinks, and talk about the book. I know, it is a challenge when young do not like to read. A real challenge.

Last edited:
The authors of my pre and teen age: Jules Verne, Alexandre Dumas, Karl May, Arthur C Clarke, Lev Tolstoy, and Mircea Eliade’s Diary of a Short-Sighted Adolescent released in English (!?).

My son was an avid reader of Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games. I think the trilogy will be available in French. Back then he read the books before they were made into a film and had good conversations about them.

My niece (she is now 13 years old) saw "Maze Runner" with me. Then she wished for the books and said that the books are even better than the film adaptation.

I think the Chronicles of Narnia and the book series His Dark Materials are good starting points for a young person. Behind all the books mentioned there is a deep message about the fight of good against evil, sometimes very open, in some books rather subtle. In any case, it can ideally lead to the reader looking for a comparison with this reality and starting to ask questions himself.

the road by cormac mccarthy is a terrible story but specially a beautiful story about a father and his young boy. Maybe for your boy it can be good, I do not know.

The authors of my pre and teen age: Jules Verne, Alexandre Dumas, Karl May, Arthur C Clarke, Lev Tolstoy, and Mircea Eliade’s Diary of a Short-Sighted Adolescent released in English (!?).
Happy to see that someone was reading Jules Verne and Karl May! I'read all books from both authors! Also Clarke and Tolstoy, but not every book!

Happy to see that someone was reading Jules Verne and Karl May! I'read all books from both authors! Also Clarke and Tolstoy, but not every book!
I started to read again Winnetou after 40 years. I got so upset when his sister was killed. Took it really personally! Now I have to read everything again to ckeck my ‘reactions’ and understand where ‘I‘m at’ so to speak. But that should be a subject for another thread maybe.

Back
Top Bottom