Earthquakes around the world

Croatia again, 4,5, yesterday before midnight.

There does not go a day by after the main one that we do not feel those smaller ones. The place I live that is close to capital was second most hit after the epicenter area and nearby towns, and the third is a town where I work.

On older houses walls cracked and some even collapsed, but this is the moment all saw the incompetence of goverment in dealing with crysis and many people got pissed along with more and more seeing through corona scam. People were waiting few days outside to get mobile houses and still are but goverment said all needed to sent email or call to get one but of course old people do not know it or have lost everything so no power, Internet...

Also some did not get food and essentials despite Red Cross being across the street from them, also cases where they asked about their etnicity, but like Caritas they are crooks, they take donated goods of better quality for themselves. There was a video on FB that was removed where Red Cross left goods at the capitol mayor building that is riddled with corruption scandals. From the emergency fund for capital they had 100 millions euro but all that money was gone, and it came to light when there was quake in March. When there were deluges in 2014 they gatherd 60 million in native currency and nobody saw a dime of that money, and Caritas sold donated goods in tons after it. Also after the quake in March there were donations gathered but most did not get anything, only some got some money for water heaters. Also now the Red Cross is going to press charges against those that spread "false news" aka truth. And in the meanwhile Church donated little and said they prayed for those hurt, you can not make this thing up anymore. And most of those donated goods from other countries probably never leave warehouses.

Also the chief of Civilian protection attacked the football fans that went there to help people which made people furious because they did better job in organizing then goverment and being attacked for it, and common people, cheffs went there to cook meals for people there and now the goverment took it but from what I see now the food is bad. Red Cross and Caritas wanted for these volonteers to feed them also while they were the one that needed to do that. There was also a scandal where people who had their houses rebuilt in 1997 after the war lost their houses, they collapsed because they had no steel and concrete and they paid for it-so one more time in million those politicians and their buisnessman made money and deals under the desk.

It all showed the incompetence and disorganisation of state at the slightest chaos while those emergency fonds and reserves were looted for decades and those put at command were put based on political lines and nepotism like all are in state institutions, it is true pathocracy and the corruption is in all pores of society, from village level to highest one, and to my suprise some mainstream news started writting against goverment in obline articles. One man wrote it well on his fb that it is pitty there was not a greater one to level whole country so that finally all will see the incompetence and have no choice but to do something because those smaller emergencies can always be shoved under the rug and get through somehow while the people will still elect those people for breadcrumbs.

Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - 422 km west of Jayapura, Nederlands Nieuw-Guinea, Indonesia

Date & time: 12 Jan 2021 18:17:40 UTC - 13 hours ago
Local time at epicenter: Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 3:17 am (GMT +9)
Magnitude: 6
Depth: 56.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 2.94°S / 136.94°E
ID.png
(Nederlands Nieuw-Guinea, Indonesia)

Moderate mag. 5.7 earthquake - 36 km south of Mamuju, Kabupaten Mamuju, West Sulawesi, Indonesia

Date & time: 14 Jan 2021 06:35:51 UTC - 24 hours ago
Local time at epicenter: Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 2:35 pm (GMT +8)
Magnitude: 5.7
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 3°S / 118.94°E
ID.png
(West Sulawesi, Indonesia)

15 Jan, 2021

c1_3867383.jpg

Indonesia has a powerful earthquake - at least 37 people died (according to the latest data, more than 46 people died - At Least 46 Killed and Hundreds Injured as Quake Hits Indonesia)

At least 37 people were killed and hundreds were injured in the massive earthquake on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi. It also led to numerous landslides and house destruction. Thousands of people were forced to evacuate.

The earthquake hit on Friday morning, its magnitude was 6.2, the epicenter was 6 km northeast of the city of Magene in the province of West Sulawesi.

Hundreds of buildings were destroyed or damaged, including a local hospital - its building collapsed when there were more than 12 people in it, including patients and staff. They were all trapped under the rubble. A rescue operation is underway.

The full extent of the damage caused by the earthquake is still being investigated. Access to the affected areas is challenging: roads are blocked, bridges have been destroyed, and the local airport has also been damaged. There were problems with telephone communication and electricity.

Footage released by the National Disaster Management Agency shows many collapsed buildings and local residents in need of assistance.

The earthquake was felt for about 7 seconds. There was no tsunami warning, but coastal residents moved to higher ground as a precaution.

According to the head of the Indonesian Agency for Meteorology and Geophysics, Dvikorit Karnavati, there have already been at least 26 aftershocks - another powerful earthquake could trigger a tsunami.

The elimination of the consequences of the earthquake is also complicated by the situation with the coronavirus - on January 15, the number of new cases reached 12.8 thousand. According to the authorities, the risk of infection for people evacuated to shelters is increasing. However, 10,000 people have already been displaced to shelters in the Magene district.

As Treesparrow noted, there has been quite a bit of activity this year already. 6 M6 earthquakes in the last week with the highest being a M6.3 north of New Zealand.
In the usual map area, which I have chosen to follow for now 15 months, there was 1 out of 73 earthquakes worldwide equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1454 out of 1871 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 77.7%
Last week saw according to USGS, 2 M6 earthquakes with the highest being a M6.7 in Mongolia.
In the usual area, there were 3 out of 111 earthquakes equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1566 out of 2002 earthquakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 78.2%
Earthquakes 7 days to Jan 17th 2021.gif

This just in. I felt my chair was moving quite badly. I ended up feeling dizzy, but no damages in my city (I'm few miles away from the epicenter). Local sites reports a 6.9 eartquake, a very shallow one.
Glad you (and the city) are OK, from USGS:
M 6.4 - 27 km SW of Pocito, Argentina

Time 2021-01-18 20:46:21 (UTC-06:00)
Location. 31.837°S 68.813°W
Depth. 14.3 km

Glad you (and the city) are OK, from USGS:
M 6.4 - 27 km SW of Pocito, Argentina

Time 2021-01-18 20:46:21 (UTC-06:00)
Location. 31.837°S 68.813°W
Depth. 14.3 km
Thank you for your concern, mabar. I am also glad things didn't escalate here. I did hear that there are after shocks going on in San Juan, Argentina. Said after shocks oscillate the 5.0ish points in the Ritcher scale. Hope people are alright there, but we will find out tomorrow most likely...

Thank you for your concern, mabar. I am also glad things didn't escalate here. I did hear that there are after shocks going on in San Juan, Argentina. Said after shocks oscillate the 5.0ish points in the Ritcher scale. Hope people are alright there, but we will find out tomorrow most likely...
I´m glad that you are ok. Hope that your family is also fine. Take care! :hug2:

Back
Top Bottom