Wonderful tonight... (testing my new microphone)

Thank you very much for all your comments. I am blushing a little. :-[

That was really good! 🥰 Thanks Mililea! Nice acoustics too. Where did you record this and what microphone did you get, just out of curiosity? Also, who is the second voice?
Lovely singing and great guitaring! Are both of the voices yours?

The second voice is actually me. I just recorded the tracks one after the other. The microphone I got is a Rode Procaster. I recorded it in our children's room/office/all-purpose room. I was really surprised myself at the quality of it.

I've been thinking all the time what I could sing next, but I actually fail at the guitar chords.... I'm really out of practice and it would have to be without parree fingerings. :lol: Or maybe there is someone out there who might record me a guitar track to a song. Because of the session in July 2020, I fell in love with the song Wayfairing Stranger. I like it best by Eva Cassidy. Which version did Laura mean in the session @Joe, do you know that?

The second voice is actually me. I just recorded the tracks one after the other. The microphone I got is a Rode Procaster. I recorded it in our children's room/office/all-purpose room. I was really surprised myself at the quality of it.

Ahh! I was wondering if you did that! Well done! What program do you use for recording/editing/mastering? I've never knowingly heard that mic in use, so good score.

but I actually fail at the guitar chords.... I'm really out of practice and it would have to be without parree fingerings.

Heh. Don't worry about playing the chords. Just play one note at a time. Then re-record playing the next note of the chord over top, then the next, and the next, like you did with your voice. 🤪 Bonkers. I jest of course. But do try again.

What program do you use for recording/editing/mastering? I've never knowingly heard that mic in use, so good score.
I tried Mixpad Musicstudio as you can see here:
Mixpad Studio.JPG
It is easy to understand and to use.

Just play one note at a time. Then re-record playing the next note of the chord over top, then the next, and the next, like you did with your voice.
Maybe you'll laugh at me, but I've been thinking about similar things. :cool2: :lol: Then I laughed at myself and thought, no, there are no shortcuts. So I guess I have to go through it and practise. Because it's also really a lot of fun for me.

And I can report that since I've been practising EE, I feel that my singing has also changed a bit. I can get my sounds from other parts of my body. I work more with my diaphragm. I need to practise this method also, but it is an interesting feeling.

Nothing wrong with Mixpad. 👍

Maybe you'll laugh at me, but I've been thinking about similar things. :cool2: :lol: Then I laughed at myself and thought, no, there are no shortcuts. So I guess I have to go through it and practise. Because it's also really a lot of fun for me.

Unfortunatly, I can't laugh at you because this is a technique I've actually used; others have too. But I don't use it very often because it just doesn't sound the same as if it's recorded in one pass. It starts to sound 'processed' and disjointed. It's also a heck of a lot of work and a lot more tracks. You can try it and see if you have better luck then me, but if you can, yeah, it's my opinion learning to play an actual instrument is better then learning to play the computer. There's more right brain involved and you can record emotion. You also don't have to worry about power outages because you can take your music with you anywhere.

And I can report that since I've been practising EE, I feel that my singing has also changed a bit. I can get my sounds from other parts of my body. I work more with my diaphragm. I need to practise this method also, but it is an interesting feeling.

Nice! Back in the day when I was practicing Qi Gong a lot (with sounds) I noticed "my sound" change. It became fuller, more round and more relaxed and I was able to sustain longer vocals at volume. EE is a good practice and now I know that it can help with singing. Thanks Mililea! :-D

Oh my goodness... January 2021 was the last time I shared anything here. :whistle:

Since I had some difficulties with the Rode and wanted a microphone also for live singing, I switched to a Shure SM58... this also required an interface. I decided on a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. So far so good. In theory, everything was great.

The mic arrived, I connected everything up and ... NOTHING... I heard no sound through the headphones and no sound through speakers. So I tested and tried for hours... the frustration was great. Then I put the project on hold for the time being due to lack of time.:huh:

Up to that point, I had been recording in Adobe Audition normally. But I still haven't managed to get a sound out or in via Audition. So I looked at the free programmes that came with the Focusrite and downloaded Ableton Live Lite. So again watched some videos on how to use it. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite a good program. But I still feel a bit shaky with it. It still needs some practice.

Ableton live lite.JPG

Maybe there is someone among you who knows how to use this programme, or could give me some tips like that, as far as vocal recordings are concerned. Anyway, here is a (not quite first) test run. I sang the voice several times and doubled my two favourites. I could do it 100 more times and probably still not be satisfied, so I'm just sharing it now. :-P

Attachments

• Forever and ever 04.mp3
    7.6 MB
Back
Top Bottom