Huge undersea avalanche pushed mud more than 1,000 km in the Atlantic

Alejo

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I just came across this article in Spanish during my daily round up of news. I have translated it using DeepL:

With two days of duration, the event could have gone unnoticed had it not been for the damage it caused to the telecommunication cables.

An international group of researchers detected traces of a powerful undersea avalanche, which occurred between January 14 and 16, 2020 off the coast of West Africa, causing damage to telecommunications cables laid on the seabed and causing a reduction in the Internet speed for data transmission between Nigeria and South Africa.

The research, conducted by a team from Durham University in the UK and co-led by telecommunications operator Angola Cables, was published Monday in Earth ArXiv, although it has not yet been peer-reviewed.

According to the study, the landslide that occurred was possibly the longest sediment flow ever recorded. It moved for more than 1,130 kilometers, at speeds of up to 8 meters per second, from the mouth of the Congo River and along a deep ocean canyon, until it reached a depth of more than 4,500 meters in the Atlantic Ocean.

It is likely that the event would not have been discovered had it not been for the damage it caused in its path, especially the Internet failure. The flow caused the rupture of the SAT-3 (South Atlantic 3) cable, which links Africa with Portugal and Spain, and the WAC (West African Cable System), which connects South Africa with the USA.

Here's the link to the study mentioned in the article, and I found it quite incredible. The timing of it, at the start of the entire covid situation was particularly interesting to say the least. It also reminded me of what Pierre described in the Earth Changes book about the surface of the earth becoming less cohesive due to changes in the electrical potentiality of the different interacting layers of the plane and cosmos.

It also reminded me of the fact that if we're experiencing this crazy weather up here, and the crazy events, the turmoil under the sea must be that much larger in comparison to the one on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom