Tips to make your home natural

Aiming

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
While searching around the i-net, I found this:
(it's a shop, too, but worth to consider, osit)

_http://www.justnaturalproducts.com/the-natural-home.php

The Natural Home
A message from just naturals owner, Karen Girardo...

What is the natural home? This is an important question to ask and have it answered. As we all try to improve the quality of our lives, sometimes we have to step back in order to move forward. This applies as one considers making improvements towards a more natural way of living. When it comes to home cleaning products and personal products, more (chemicals) is less (quality of life) particularly as we consider all the chemicals that we come into contact with on a daily basis.

How many of us ever really step back and think about exactly what that means to us. To me, every time that I hear a commercial on TV that makes the statement ”new and improved”, all I can think of is “more chemicals or more toxicity”, because whether we know it or not, that is typically the case. Improved whitening usually means increased chemicals in that particular product. Increased cleaning power usually means stronger chemicals, and so on. The same is true with our personal products. There are more chemicals and less natural ingredients in most off-the-shelf products. As a result, we are bringing more and more chemicals and toxins into our home at an alarming rate, without really even knowing it. The path of less chemicals is better! It is a healthier approach and better for our well-being.

One of my goals is to help educate people on how to make their home a healthier place to live. It’s all about making incremental improvements, going one step at a time.

The natural home is one that incorporates natural cleaning, natural personal products (family, baby and pet), natural laundry and natural aromatherapy (smells and scents) within the confines of its four walls. It has as few chemically based products as possible.

When I give talks on this topic people always ask, “Where should I begin in making changes?” All the information and options can seem overwhelming. Simply put, I break it down into steps, going after the biggest impact things first.

Step 1:

Since our skin is our largest organ on our body and 60% of what touches the skin get absorbed directly into the bloodstream, I start with items that impact this the most.
Change out your laundry products.

You wear your clothes all day long and sleep in your sheets all night long…as a result you are absorbing and breathing the chemicals from your laundry products 24 hours a day. And believe me your standard laundry products are full of chemicals and toxins. Don’t be fooled by products that that state they are fragrance free…they are still full of chemicals and petroleum based products.
Change out your laundry soap, dryer sheets, fabric softener, chlorine bleach and stain remover.
From the information that I’ve gathered over time, my personal belief is that our laundry products may well be at the root of many of our health issues (allergies, asthma, weakened immune system, Alzheimer’s, etc.) due to the fact that we are continuously absorbing the toxins through our clothes, which means that our body has to constantly work to try to process those toxins out of our system. Our body is not getting a break and while it’s busy trying to filter toxins, it isn’t working on other things. Something has to give. And remember, all those toxins don’t exit our system; they store in our fat cells and build up over time.

just naturals laundry solutions:
• Lavender laundry powder
• Just oxy – oxygen bleach, whitener and destainer
• Reuseable fabric dryer sheets
• Lavender fabric softener
• Orange spot degreaser for grease
• Laundry pretreatment for grass and dirt
• Lavender dryer sachets
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2:

Change out your front-line cleaning products and use a fruit and veggie wash. Your front-line cleaning products are those products that you use with the most regularity.

Cleaning products are known neurotoxins, affecting the brain and spine (children’s developing cells are more easily damaged and their immune system is less developed). Why take any chance with your family?

Toxins from the products you use don’t just exit the home. They remain for a period of time, filtering down to the lowest level, the floor (the place that young children play and our pets reside)...the air inside your home is 2-5 times more polluted than the air outside.

Dish detergent is the number one cause of household poisonings!

As for using a fruit and veggie wash think of this…pesticides are water insoluble. They don’t wash off in water so that farmers don’t have to reapply every time it rains. Recently pesticides have been linked to infertility and Parkinson’s disease. Just as important, our food has been handled and mishandled by many people and may harbor harmful bacteria. Whether you buy organic or not, it is always important to wash your fruits and vegetables.[color]

just naturals front-line cleaning products:
• Shower and tub cleaner and microfiber cloth
• Glass cleaner and microfiber glass cloth
• Lavender or tangerine-lime dish soap
• just oxy dishwasher powder
• All purpose cleaner and microfiber cloth
• Fruit and veggie wash
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 3:

Change out your primary body products, especially your soaps and shampoos. As previously mentioned, your skin is your largest organ and, next to laundry products this next most significant item being absorbed by your skin. You typically shower every day using soap and shampoo, then apply moisturizers, lotions and body sprays or perfumes.

Ingredients in commercial soaps are synthetic fragrances (made from crude petroleum oil), animal fat, dyes, and isopropyl alcohol and chemical preservatives. Most body washes and shampoos contain sodium laurel sulfate. All of these items are among the most unwanted ingredients in your personal care products.

just naturals solutions:
organic foaming hand and body soap
organic body wash
sulfate free shampoo and conditioner
shea butter body lotion
just faces face products (steps1-4 and cleanser)
just babies baby products (body wash and shampoo, diaper cream, talc free powder and lotion)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 4:

Change out your air fresheners, candles and fragrances. There has been a lot of information in the news recently regarding the toxic affects of candles due to the petroleum products and artificial fragrances that are in candles. Some studies showed that burning candles and using certain air fresheners can be as harmful as, or more harmful than smoking.

Artificial fragrances are the number one irritant and all have one thing in common; they are made from crude petroleum oil. Artificial fragrances are one of the most common allergy and lung irritants. Asthma is now the number one reason for missed school days for children.

just naturals solutions:
• just naturals air fresheners and air deodorizers made with pure essential oils
• aromatherapy stick diffusers with pure essential oils
• soy candles scented with pure lavender essential oil (no artificial fragrance)
• palm wax candles scented with pure essential oils
• just naturals germ beater made with pure essential oils is naturally designed to kill molds virus and bacteria
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 5:

Replace your secondary line of cleaners which are those cleaners that you may not use as frequently, but can be some of the most toxic products that you use in your home, such as your toilet bowl cleaner, furniture polish, calcium and rust remover, carpet stain remover and mold and mildew remover. Many of these products can have a direct affect on your central nervous system, liver and lungs (within 26 seconds of being exposed to a chemical, traces of that chemical can be found in every organ of your body).

just naturals solutions:
• just oxy toilet bowl cleaner
• just naturals mineral remover
• just naturals furniture polish
• just oxy oxygen bleach
• just naturals floor cleaner
• just naturals bathroom and kitchen cleanser

Step 6:

Change out other personal products and pet products. Products such as bug spray, shaving cream, deodorant, toothpaste, perfume, hair sprays and make-up all contain harmful chemicals. Some of these products are made with known carcinogens that are prohibited in other countries. While just naturals doesn’t carry all of these products, there are other companies that do offer natural alternatives

Our pets are very affected by chemicals. Since they are smaller and closer to the floor they often get more of the harmful affects. They are affected just as we are by shampoos, deodorizers and sprays (cancers and tumors in pets have increased dramatically over the last 10 years). Changing out their chemically based products will help to ensure them of a longer, healthier life.

just naturals solutions:
• bug-off natural bug spray for children, adults, and med-large dogs
• organic pet shampoo (bring it with you to your groomer)
• all-natural dog deodorizing spray
• dog bed and carpet deodorizer

I hope you have found this information useful. Your key to a better life and better tomorrow is to go just natural one step at a time!

Thanks Essence, this a very useful post. The bottom line seems to be that practically every product in the home is composed of chemicals that are very damaging to our health. The advertising for these products is completely misleading as the article says - new and improved, or unscented, or for "sensitive skin etc, all with chemicals just some minor addition to make it look healthier.

I also recall in the book Detoxify or Die, (can't find the exact quote at the moment) she talks about how drycleaning clothes is a big source of toxins - that freshly dry cleaned suit is practically toxic! So that's another thing to watch out for besides your home laundry.

A great summary. It's a lot of work to get rid of as many toxins as possible, not to mention the mere fact that it is so sickening to realize how all-inclusive the genocide has been for years already :mad:.

Thanks for this essence, it's going to be put into some use.

I, too, will add my thank you, essence, for all of this important information. Much to look at.

Thank you essence for that info.

And as said here it is also very important to add a filter to our shower or our bath since our skin is the largest organ.

manitoban said:
I also recall in the book Detoxify or Die, (can't find the exact quote at the moment) she talks about how drycleaning clothes is a big source of toxins - that freshly dry cleaned suit is practically toxic! So that's another thing to watch out for besides your home laundry.

There's this quote (page 105-106) about trichloroethylene (TCE) and dry cleaner:

Detoxify or Die said:
TCE out-gases from newly dry cleaned clothes and carpets. Because it is an universal industrial degreaser and solvent, studies show it contaminates as much as 25-50% of ground water supply. In fact it is the most frequently found solvent and the one detected in higher concentration. It becomes highly toxic to nervous tissues because it creates free radicals that burn holes in body cells, destroying nerve, blood vessels, brain tissues and more. Unfortunately you don't even have to drink the water to get TCE toxicity, for it is even rapidly absorbed through the skin from showering or bathing.

In this Boston University study, many municipal water supplies had TCE levels that were 30-80 times higher than the EPA's maximum contaminant allowable level of 5 ppm. No wonder one of the communities included the famous Woburn community that had that epidemic leukemia in young children, as well as neurobehavioral problems and other symptoms at all ages.

Thank you Essence once again for this post.

Even tho 'JustNaturals' is a shop they do state some valid points. I myself have noticed an annoyance from some room fresheners and also have a heck of a time with shower soaps and dry skin. A friend of mine had told me to stay with Dial original because it is antibacterial and has standed the test of time, but it also stands to figure that the original formula is no longer what they use. Personally I could never understand what someone would do with 'clinical strength deodorant' anyway. Has anyone tried this stuff? I had a sample package one time and even my next shower wouldn't remove the stuff! I can only imagine the toxic waste in something like that! :scared:

Anyway thanks again and Ill give some natural products a try for a change.

Smallwood said:
..not to mention the mere fact that it is so sickening to realize how all-inclusive the genocide has been for years already .

Genocide, yes. They've become masters at poisoning us - all we have to do is eat something or wash ourselves, it's just everywhere! Utterly outrageous! Have no words here.
I sometimes wonder why we're still alive.. probably that's intentional, too (for now): poison them, but only so much that they remain alive, though cannot think clearly, function properly and do anything threating to the system. :mad:

I've talked to the cosmetician again (the cosmetician I mentioned in this post).
I've told her about the various websites I've read during the last days and that I was shocked about the reality of poisoning through cosmetics, even organic ones.
She nodded and said 'Yes, it's all a fraud, it's all about money, even in the organic trade.' I then asked her what firms were 100% natural. Out of numerous allegedly organic cosmetic firms, she named only two, that were really organic (here in Germany):

1)Martina Gebhardt
2)i + m cosmetics (I think, it's only in Germany so far)

while Martina Gebhardt is still the very best, check her website: _http://www.martina-gebhardt-naturkosmetik.de/en/ueberuns/

Have you heard of washnuts?

from:_http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/104369809/Soap_Nut_Wash_Nuts_Soap_Nut_Shells_Organic_Soap.html

Soap Nut, Wash Nuts, Soap Nut Shells, Organic Soap

Soap Nuts is the only 100% natural laundry soap. Soap nuts grow on trees. Soap nuts are the dried fruit of the soapberry tree.

Soap nut is used in cleansing lotion, protein shampoo, protein shampoo with conditioner. Soap nut contains a high level of saponins. Soap nut powder is used to cleanse hair, skin and laundry. Soap nut is an excellent hair tonic.

They contain spooning, a natural cleaner used for thousands of years to clean clothes, just like the plants for washing.

from:_http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/01/soap_nuts_a_new.php

SoapNuts are the shells of a seed from trees grown throughout India and Nepal. These shells give a soapy substance when they come in contact with water (the seeds are discarded) and it’s said that 1kg of the nuts can wash 100 loads. Simply pop 6-8 shells in the cloth bag and throw them in your washing machine – these will last about 3-4 washes. Your wash will come out clean, but without a smell, so if you like the scent of clean clothes just add a few drops of essential oil to the wash beforehand. SoapNuts can also be used for other things as well, like washing windows, cars or pets. When the shells have been used to their full extent just throw them in the compost pile

from:_http://www.gogreen.cellande.co.uk/shop/products/soapnuts/soapnuts.php

Soapnuts
Soapnuts (Sapindus Mukorossi) are grown in India and Nepal, harvested in a sustainable way in October from 15m high trees. The soapnuts are sticky and golden in colour when removed changing to reddish brown when dried. Soapnut shells contain saponin (a natural detergent) and when they come in contact with water they make mild suds. Soapnuts are a natural, organic, environmentally friendly alternative to soap, detergent and shampoo.
Pure and natural washing detergent that leaves your laundry fresh and clean.
Keeps your colours bright.
Allergy free especially good for babies, eczema and sensitive skin.
Environmentally friendly, chemical free and biodegradable, any remains after use can go in the composter.
Ecological and economical compared to other brands of detergent. 1 kg of soapnuts can be used for more than 100 loads of laundry.

WASHING CLOTHES Hand or machine wash or just soak for fresher softer clothes. Soapnuts are ideal as a natural detergent in the washing machine. Just put 4-8 half shells in the unbleached cotton bag provided. Then pop the bag in the washing machine with your clothes. No need for fabric softener but to add a scent you can add a few drops of you favourite essential oil. Suitable at any temperature, pre-wash or rinse cycles and on delicate fabrics. Shells can be used for more than one wash on the same day, discard any remains when they go dark brown and soggy.

LIQUID SOAP A liquid soap can be made by simmering 50g of soapnuts in 1L of water for 10 minutes. When cool, the mixture can either be strained or put in a blender.

CLEANING JEWELLERY Soapnuts are used as a jewellery polish in India, soak jewellery in soapnut water then rub, rinse and polish.

WASHING PETS Parasites can be removed from pet fur and skin by washing in a mild solution of soapnut and your animals fur will be left clean, soft and protected from further infestations.

HOUSEHOLD CLEANING Because of the natural nature of soapnuts all household cleaning can be done from top to bottom, inside and out including windows, which will be left sparkling after a quick polish with paper towel when dry.

CAR WASHING Add a few soapnut pieces in a bucket of water and wash your car as usual and polish to a good shine when dry.

1 kg of soapnuts can be used for more than 100 loads of laundry (4-8 half shells for upto 5 washes).

I haven't tried it myself yet, but will. The cosmetician told me she's tried it. Only if you wash white clothes, you'd need a bleacher (which would be salts, can be bought in organic shops, too).

Another company that's seemingly the best among household products is Sonett (pioneer in organic washing powders and cleansers since 1970).
For more info, check their website:_http://www.sonett-online.de/

Deodorants have been linked to breast cancer, though official press remain controversial or denying.

"Warning over link between deodorants and breast cancer"
_http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/jan/11/medicineandhealth.cancercare

_http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1562120/Deodorants-may-be-linked-to-breast-cancer.html

_http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4587-deodorants-plus-shaving-linked-to-breast-cancer.html

from:_http://www.ayushveda.com/dietfitness/deodorant-smelling-good-is-not-risk-free/

Recall one of the hot and sweaty days, loads of work the whole day. After that the smell that comes out of the body annoys everybody. It is always very difficult to stay sweat free and smell fresh without the use of deodorant underarm spray, roll on or something of that kind. Many people consider these as essential part of the hygiene. When the demand for deodorants are making them bestsellers every year, people simply are unaware or ignorant about the side effects of using deodorant.

How deodorants work?
Many people think that antiperspirant and deodorant are same. But there is a difference between them. Deodorants let go the smell of the sweat by breaking down the sweat and the bacteria which causes body odour. An antiperspirant stops the sweat glands from producing sweat up to fifty percent. Aluminium Chlorhydrate is the key ingredient which helps to perform this sweat blockage. This element is manufactured chemically from aluminum. Studies say that though in deodorants and antiperspirants aluminum is used in small quantities; it can affect the health due to long term absorption.

Health problems due to use of deodorants
Deodorant is often sprayed under armpits which are very near to the breasts. Getting inside the skin the aluminium mimics oestrogen which develops the causes of breast cancer. Not only breast cancer but it is dangerous for mental disorders like Alzheimer. It causes plaques and tangles in Alzheimer effected brain.

Besides aluminium chemicals like propane and butane are used to get the sweet smell. So with the inhalation of the scent we inhale deadly chemicals. Excessive inhalation can cause death to a person through the fumes. The deodorants are inflammable which can cause fire a bring death to people.

There are ways to avoid such health disorders by saying no to deodorants which contain aluminium and stick to the natural deodorants which contain no such deadly elements.

As for natural deodorants, I can personally recommend the crystal deo stick:

Consumers would be surprised to learn that over the years eight different common ingredients found in deodorant products have been banned for posing a health hazard to users. Many deodorants also contain aluminum chlorohydrate, a harmful chemical still found in 85% of deodorants on the market.

Crystal Body Deodorant, the all natural alternative to mainstream deodorants, is hypoallergenic, fragrance free, non-sticky, non-staining, and is made of 100% natural mineral salts with no artificial coloring or ingredients. It is free of chemicals or dyes and contains NO Aluminum Chlorohydrate, helping us stay odor-free safe and naturally.

Since 1984, when it was first discovered in France, Crystal Body Deodorant has been a leader in healthy, natural deodorant protection. When first released it was sold only in a limited number of stores in the U.S. under the name, "Le Crystal Naturel", but today these products can be found in over 10,000 locations throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and Latin America.

Crystal Body Deodorant products are the #1 best-selling leaders in healthy, natural, deodorant protection. They have a committed following of loyal customers and are on the shelves of retailers worldwide.

Study of Deodorant Stones
Deodorant Stones are Natural

Key Points to Remember

1. Alum is a natural compound in nature, is present in the water we drink, in almost all the foods we eat, and in the air we breathe. According to a study conducted at the University of Wisconsin, the average American adult diet includes between 20 to 60 milligrams of alum per day, of which 20 to 50 milligrams come from FDA-approved food additives. Another 2 to 10 milligrams come from the natural content of the foods eaten.

2. In its natural form, alum is the third most abundant element in nature, after oxygen and silicon. It has been part of our environment since the beginning of time and is one of the basic building blocks of our universe. It makes up almost 8% of the earth's crust, surpassed in quantity only by oxygen at 47% and silicon at 28%. It is in soil and clays that only when processed produce metallic aluminum products.

3. Deodorant Stones feature physically large potassium or ammonium alum molecules and are not absorbed into the skin/blood. Water has a molecular weight of 18. A potassium alum crystal molecule has a molecular weight of 474.38. A potassium or ammonium alum crystal molecule, in solution, is hydrated 24 times and consequently has a molecular weight of 654. It is impossible through natural means to get water to permeate the skin. Witness the large number of moisturizers available at the cosmetic counter and imagine how difficult it would be for a molecule that weighs 36.3 times as much as water to permeate the skin.

4. The pH of the solution resulting from the topical application of potassium alum with perspiration is typically in the slightly acid range of 4 to 5.

For further info read here:_http://www.thecrystal.com/product_information.cfm

(As an aside, I'm not associated with any of them, just sharing what I've found out so far.)

Also, I think there might be more companies who stick to the 100% natural philosophy. Just keep digging around.

I find vinegar and baking soda great for general cleaning. I even use vinegar for fabric softner and dishwasher rinse. However for hard water stains on toilets and bathtubs, try a pumice stone. Works great!

essence said:
Have you heard of washnuts?

from:_http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/104369809/Soap_Nut_Wash_Nuts_Soap_Nut_Shells_Organic_Soap.html

One caveat on the soapnuts, if you have a tree nut allergy, please be cautious about using these. If any family member has this allergy, again, be cautious.

When in doubt, don't use it.

Gimpy said:
One caveat on the soapnuts, if you have a tree nut allergy, please be cautious about using these. If any family member has this allergy, again, be cautious.

When in doubt, don't use it.

Oh, thanks Gimpy! Have neither read nor heard nor considered a tree nut allergy.

I would like to start making my own soap, just once and see how it goes.
I found this recipe.

http://www.millersoap.com/soapanimal.html#TallowSoap

This recipe is provided for those of you who have straight rendered tallow to use and want an all around good bar with the sudsing of coconut and the gentleness of olive oil.
Tallow Blend Soap (Kathy Miller)

44 oz. beef tallow
20 oz. olive oil
20 oz. coconut oil
12 oz. lye crystals
32 oz. cold water

Temps 110-115

If I were rendering tallow from scratch again like I used to, this would be my recipe of choice. You can make soap with straight tallow or a blend of tallow and lard, but for the best of all worlds, adding coconut for sudsing and olive for its mildness does a lot for a tallow soap. If you want your bars a bit softer for cutting or are going to be using a fragrance oil with unpredictable results, you can increase the water by two ounces.

Has any of you ever made soap before and how did it go?
I am wondering whether I could use this kind of soap for different things.

Mariama said:
Has any of you ever made soap before and how did it go?
I am wondering whether I could use this kind of soap for different things.

I think there have been a few members who have mentioned making their own soap with good results. I just found a post by Odyssey made in the thread Glycerine Soap, where she also writes about making other useful things herself:

Odyssey said:
This weekend I spent a lot of time making my own products for the first time. The first thing I made was cold process homemade soap made from beef tallow, coconut oil, and olive oil (infused with peppermint and lavender). Then I added some more peppermint and lavender herbs to the soap and it turned out looking and smelling pretty good. I just cut it into bars today and they're curing now so I don't know how the final product performs yet. I used the book Essentially Soap for a reference as well as watching youtube videos. It was a really fun project that will come in handy someday perhaps.

Next I made some laundry detergent using this recipe from you tube except I added a third of a bar of Fels Naptha soap. _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcCcC2FF7o&feature=related. I haven't done a load of laundry with it yet but I did wash some things out by hand (don't have a washer/dryer at home). I'll see how it turns out after they dry.

Then I made some homemade toothpaste using coconut oil infused with peppermint, baking soda, white oak bark powder and some tea tree oil. I still need to work on this formulation. There's too much baking soda for my taste. But it left my mouth feeling really clean...then it turned to a solid overnight. It was brown from the white oak bark powder but my teeth stayed white. :D

Then I made my own hair moisturizing cream using shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, cocoa butter and tea tree oil. It can be used as a skin moisturizer too, I suppose, but it seems a bit oily for skin.

Brilliant, Aiming, thank you so much. I feel really inspired now.
I will report back on the results. :)

Mariama said:
I feel really inspired now.
I will report back on the results. :)

That would be great, Mariama! Learning to make ourselves the various little things we need in daily life could be an important skill to have in these times and another step in freeing ourselves from dependence on the established system.

Back
Top Bottom