Modify Function

wanderer

Jedi
I can click the modify button and edit my posts, although I have less than 50 posts. I'm not sure if the edit function is different than this or if it's not working the as expected. Just a heads up.

wanderer said:
I can click the modify button and edit my posts, although I have less than 50 posts. I'm not sure if the edit function is different than this or if it's not working the as expected. Just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up, looking into it.

Modify/Edit

Hi,

I've searched the posts here and checked the Help section as to how to modify/edit a post. As a newbie, I do not see a modify/edit button. Is there a certain post count one has to have before one gets to edit a post? I cannot edit my last post where I had left a word out.

Thanks!

Re: Modify/Edit

kannas said:
Hi,

I've searched the posts here and checked the Help section as to how to modify/edit a post. As a newbie, I do not see a modify/edit button. Is there a certain post count one has to have before one gets to edit a post? I cannot edit my last post where I had left a word out.

Thanks!

Hi kannas,

Yes there is a minimum of 50 posts before being able to edit/modify your posts.

Just give us the link to the post and the world to add, and we will do it for you.

Oh, okay, I understand. :) I realized there were two words missing and needed to be added for clarity.

The paragraph with words missing in bold in my post:

I just checked SOTT and see that this video is there as well as some other very good videos and articles in line with this topic. I usually check and read SOTT after checking and reading in the forum.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15273.msg123886#msg123886

Thank you!

kannas said:
Oh, okay, I understand. :) I realized there were two words missing and needed to be added for clarity.

The paragraph with words missing in bold in my post:

I just checked SOTT and see that this video is there as well as some other very good videos and articles in line with this topic. I usually check and read SOTT after checking and reading in the forum.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15273.msg123886#msg123886

Thank you!

It is done. ;)

I can't edit my posts

Hi, I would like to know...

Why can't I edit my posts? Until yesterday, I could do this. Is there a problem with my privileges or is it a technical problem on the forum?

I hope you could respond me. Thanks.

Re: I can't edit my posts

After you post, you have 30 minutes to edit. After that, the option is removed.

It must've changed somewhat recently. It used to be possible to modify your own posts after you have 50 of them, but no longer from what I can see.

Probably because when someone goes back and makes an edit, this doesn't show up as a new post so others are not notified.

Yep, it's an upgrade to the software. So, no more 'new post' notifications when someone edits their posts and it also prevents people from going back days later to change something they wrote because they've been called on it (which tends to happen more often that you'd think it would).

anart said:
Yep, it's an upgrade to the software.
I'm not so sure I would call it an upgrade. I'm more inclined to call it a downgrade and I've an example from my own postings to show why in some cases the possibility to modify or edit posts several days after they were posted, could be worthwhile having.

In this topic: Translation job from French to English (video) I first posted this one - http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26906.msg327169.html#msg327169 . The posting date was March 01, 2012, 12:19:12 AM and the last edit on it was on March 04, 2012, 08:29:16 PM which is more than three days later.

This came about because in the meantime I translated extra parts of the videos later on while I hadn't planned for that and had learned in the process of doing so that some elements in my first contribution didn't completely match translations in the later parts. I was very glad to be able to instantly correct some of my mistakes in the original posting during the ongoing process of translating some of the other parts. This would not be possible anymore after this latest upgrade to the software. I would had to have added extra posts in between with the necessary corrections thus making a mess of it all for the readers.

This example may be somewhat atypical but it is a matter of concern, at least to me, that this functionality is now lacking.

In cases like that, you can send your edits to a mod and they can insert them into the original post.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that possibility, Heimdallr. Thank you for pointing that out. :)
I'll keep it in mind for future situations.

Heimdallr
After you post, you have 30 minutes to edit. After that, the option is removed.
Works for me--usually any edits I need/want to make happen right after I post. Seeing the post in a new format helps
me see errors in diction, syntax, punctuation, etc. that I missed in the composing format. As an English teacher, I find revising and editing part of the writing process for all my writing, even email (just a professional habit that is difficult to break), so it would bother me to find errors in grammar and punctuation that I could not fix. In the past, for any content errors that I've revised, I usually post a notice of the change. It is rare that I would want to change anything after thirty minutes--in the future, if need be, I will simply make another post explaining the changes.

Although I shouldn't be, I am surprised that so many people would go back and change their own post to put themselves in a better light after receiving feedback. This feels like a gross form of "plagiarism," of the self to me--the "ultimate evil" :lol: :halo: :rolleyes: for an English teacher.
shellycheval

Back
Top Bottom