Beef Rendang

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
{This could probably be cooked in a tagine pot}

Beef Rendang
http://chriskresser.com/recipe-beef-rendang

This is a simplified version of the Indonesian stew called rendang, using readily available ingredients. The prep time for this dish is quick, as this is a recipe that does not require browning the meat.

Type of dish: Entree
Equipment: Food processor or blender, large oven-safe pot
Servings: Makes 2 to 4 servings
Ingredients:

2 lbs. beef stew cubes
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
3 stalks lemongrass
6 shallots or 1 1/2 red onions, roughly chopped (or substitute any onion if more readily available)
2 red chilies (this was made with Fresno), seeded and roughly chopped *Note: use any red chilies; add more or less to adjust spice level. Double amount for a spicier finished dish. If using dried chilies, soak just covered in hot water for 15 minutes prior to chopping.
4 large cloves garlic, smashed and peeled and roughly chopped
1 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
5 cloves
3 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or dried (substitute the zest and juice of 1 lime if not available)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt or to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 300 F.
Place the following in a food processor or blender (or by hand in a mortar and pestle): shallots, garlic, ginger, chilies, and cloves. Pulse until combined into a puree.
In an oven-safe pot with lid, add the beef and coconut milk. Stir in the puree from the food processor/blender.
Stir in the turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Prepare the lemongrass stalks: Peel off the tough outer layer and discard. Cut off the stem at the end and cut off the green tops to end up with about a ten inch piece of lemongrass. Use each stalk whole. Place the stalks on the cutting board and use a kitchen tool (potato masher/pestle/etc) to bang on them, as you would if they would fit in a mortar and pestle, to release the flavor a bit. Place them in the stew whole and you will remove them later as you would a bay leaf.
Add in the fresh or dried kaffir lime leaves.
Bring the stew to a gentle simmer.
Cover and place in the oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Stir once or twice during the slow cooking process.
Carefully bring the pot back to the stovetop. *Remember that the handles are hot and use a potholder until they cool.*
Uncover pot. With tongs, remove the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, and discard.
Bring the stew to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring often, until meat is fork tender and sauce has fully reduced away, about 45 minutes more. Stir constantly toward the end of the cooking process.

Mmm! I can't wait to try this! I won't be able to get lemongrass stalks until this summer's farmer's markets, and that seems to be a pretty essential ingredient. I'll also have to pick up one or two of those spices that I don't already have. But as soon as I get to make this I'll post back! Mmm...

Question though: I thought any kind of spicy peppers were to be avoided? Anyone care to clarify?

Will have it in mind next time we have guests for dinner as we eat really boring. Grilled or roasted meat and some broth mostly.

For someone with pretty limited cooking skills this is a surprisiny easy and tasty meal. Lots of left overs too. I slow cooked this and used coconut cream but otherwise followed the recipe. Cheers

The recipe seems really yummy, but i am not sure about coconut milk, as it contains carbs at some extent, am i wrong?

Back
Top Bottom