Music as a narrative

monotonic said:
The point is, you may read a lot of books about emotion and virtue but may never be able to identify in yourself the emotions in question if you don't construct a mental sandbox and "play" with your subconscious.
People reading this may think that I am describing some mysterious spiritual process but really I think this is just a description of a person's inner emotional life.

And this inner emotional life or subconscious may actually be our Real consciousness, eh? I find that idea stimulating, anyway. One implication being that what we take as normal, relatively shallow and narrow conscious awareness may just be a sort of shadow syndrome we inhabit or somehow identify with.

monotonic said:
I'm sorry if this isn't totally clear. There is just so much to write and I've never written any of this before. What you see is basically the first and most complete translation. My attention span is not large enough to contain this whole concept so it may not flow. If I didn't have specific questions I were responding to, I wouldn't know where to start.

Actually I find your descriptions remarkably meaningful and clear to me ATM. Thanks for that effort!

monotonic said:
...There appear to be caveats to this process. The symbolic process needs to be translated to language. When the symbols aren't constantly informed by language and don't have the linguistic feedback loop to guide them, they take on a life of their own and what follows, in my experience, is basically a dream, often without images. In other cases, it's the familiar experience of finishing your thought but not really understanding what you were just thinking. It seems like you have "forgotten" what you were going to say, or that you don't know how to say it. My understanding is that people just aren't aware of this layer of thought and the impressions pass by unnoticed. The impressions dissolve very quickly when not in use, and because they don't link directly with language they don't stick in memory/associate very well. We learn from a young age that what isn't a word doesn't exist, so these "sub-verbal" thoughts fall by the wayside. They are after all very slippery and not easy to study, and don't bring instant gratification or even the promise of future utility. For a child who's wellbeing hinges on pleasing their parents, instant results are favored and anything that slows that down is considered deadly. Anticipation instead becomes the way of life...

I have noticed that the two of us seem to have a few unusual traits in common. I do much of my heavy-duty problem solving in an entirely non-verbal mode to which I don't think I even have conscious access. I haven't tried to look too closely at it, partly because consciously thinking about it interferes with the process itself, and partly because it is far too easy to create a fictional verbal narrative about an inner observation, the way conscious narratives often tend to be.

When you are a non-verbal thinker living in a verbal-thinker world, as we are, it becomes essential to be able to translate. Otherwise what I end up with, anyway, is talking about what results I have "intuited," without being able to explain them. When all that was really required was a solution to the problem, that might be OK (but not entirely satisfying to the verbal-oriented folks), but the rest of the time it is not enough. So if you are an intensely non-verbal thinker, it is important to develop the facility to translate if you want to be of service to others. Or at least that is how I look at it.

This problem parallels that of would-be "teachers," that have achieved a certain intermediate level of mastery of some thing and now face the task of learning to pass on what they themselves have learned if they are to advance further. That can be quite a different task from the original learning task, but a vital one if the aim is to serve others.

Verbal thinkers might be going through the same process without realizing it -- who knows. My feeling, however, that the hemisphere dominance of the thought process (depending upon what is being thought about, of course) is different, as are the problem solving strategies. This create a human world where some people are better at solving some problems, and others are better suited to solving other problems. That makes sense to me, as an evolutionary strategy, but I am a bit shy on evidence to prove it.

You might find the book Thinking In Pictures by Temple Grandin interesting, if you haven't already read it, although I will say that by the time I read it I had already noticed much of what she points out. I seem to be somewhere on the high end of the autistic spectrum, where she started out rather low (nonverbal) and worked her way up, so there are similarities and differences. I don't identify as autistic per se -- too much of my machine works normally. But in a fundamentally nonverbal mode, for sure.

I am not sure about the musical aspect of thinking that you describe. I guess I haven't paid much attention. Music is important to me, in ways that I can't explain (there is a clue right there), but performing it well involves muscular coordination that I don't seem to have, which has dampened my enthusiasm for it over the past 54 years since I first tried to learn an instrument (still trying!).

What I do notice is that I have often seen, in my mind, complex problem solving processes as similar to symphonic performances. Lacking the literal ability to perform, I look to that to satisfy my need. So maybe I have been paying attention after all. I am not, however, aware of having any sort of synesthesic experience.

I hope I am not straying off track. It has taken me several tries to align your initial post in this topic with my own experience, and I may not have it right yet.

Thanks for linking that Temple Grandin piece Megan. I just adore that woman's accomplishments!

Temple Grandin] It wasn't until I went to college that I realized some people are completely verbal and think only in words.[/quote] When I realized the above said:
I do much of my heavy-duty problem solving in an entirely non-verbal mode to which I don't think I even have conscious access. I haven't tried to look too closely at it, partly because consciously thinking about it interferes with the process itself...

Jonathan Schooler pioneered research in this area. That's who I learned the phrase "verbal overshadowing" from to describe this effect. Theoretically, the effort to translate what I 'see' into words 'shifts' my locus of perception from the right hemisphere to the left, 'displacing' active visual memory. The internal experience is more like words getting in the way and obscuring the field of view, so to speak.

@monotonic: I haven't forgotten this thread and, like Megan, I'm still trying to find a way to better align my experience with yours. Is there anything else you would care to add? Are you familiar with the video game "Rez?" I swear I've never played it and I play no video games at all, but I've seen the videos on youtube and everytime I watch those related to the lower levels of the Rez game, I feel an excitement like it's somehow my natural environment. :)

monotonic said:
Like I said before, I've been driven to try and understand this "under the surface" world of thought, initially because as a child the stream of impressions "told" me that it had a potential way out of my misery. I have always thought that if I were able to describe successfully it to others, in essence network about it, that I would be unlocking a part of myself.

A "way out," unlocking a part of yourself... wow! We'll see what comes.

monotonic said:
Still, no one thinks they have anything to gain from scrutinizing wallpaper. The C's have said that curiosity is a spiritual function.

"In its pure state," they said. I took it to mean something greater than the dictionary definition of "curiosity": like the interaction between our unconscious and the Information Field, or what Buddy calls "It" here:

Buddy said:
For me, it's certainly more a felt phenomena and I also tend to think of it with a self-organizing principle that I believe exists. And the 'organizing self' is not a 'self' that is related to any conception of "me", necessarily. For all I know, if this stream has an owner, it may be GAIA's dream or Nature's biosphere, or perhaps a morphic field or else a set of such fields or information traveling on photon streams from across the galaxy, or quantum foam or whatever. IOW, it may just be a field of self-aware data forming and un-forming gestalts, entangling or mixing with local environmental data in my nervous system - a sort of quantum entanglement, I suppose.

or simply the unconscious sorting itself out and directing us to "seek" (for what's missing, or for something more, or whatever). Also, I think what Buddy describes in the above quote is a System 1 activity, i.e. he is talking about System 1.

monotonic said:
Someone who has the skill of "interrogation" however will sense multiple potentials at each juncture. With concentration, as long as he is able to feel the potentials he does not need to waste working memory on thoughts and a verbal narrative. By conserving working memory he will be able to see multiple potentials ahead, as one would in chess, and even a web of potentials. Good engineers for this reason are able to come up with optimal solutions in almost the blink of an eye.

Here:

http://socialanxietyhelpblog.wordpress.com/tag/system-2-thinking/] That said said:
I have described impressions before as thoughts before they are thought. Sometimes I will have an impression that I can't describe, but as time goes on I will keep accessing it because it is like a burning question except it is not a question yet, consciously anyways. Eventually, as it acquires associations and connections, it will snowball into a theory or idea that I can finally describe in language. Impressions like this can last for years before being completed. I can easily imagine a physicist who is driven by this "intuition" to learn; there is joy each time the impression gains definition by some new knowledge, and eventually the physicist has endured years of seemingly pointless studies to finally bring the impression into full consciousness, and to present his theory to the world.

Once an impression is fully illuminated, it becomes obvious where it connects to other topics so it readily jumps into place and helps complete a bigger picture. At this point it becomes clear there are misconceptions still attached to it. The impression is refined, pruned, and distilled to its essence. Once illuminated, it is obvious if the extra bits need to be trashed or if they do in fact have somewhere else they belong.

Like an elusive "picture" in System 1 that cannot, will not, be seized by your conscious until you have enough pieces of knowledge to define "it" in a language, and it is this language that catches "it" (another ligand bonding analogy here?), whenceforth "it" can be submitted to the application of logic so that further understandings may be derived.

monotonic said:
Ordinarily, we are not able to construct a coherent impression stream. If we osmose the impression stream from an external source however, a sense of internal clarity is achieved. This internal harmony is felt as joy, but the internal structure is not advanced enough to welcome the new structure in a lasting way, so entropy generally returns.

Here I am drawing a parallel to System 1 and how it "tends" toward its default patterns until you use System 2 to reconfigure it:

http://socialanxietyhelpblog.wordpress.com/tag/system-2-thinking/] However said:
Still, the experience of internal clarity alone can be enough to shift a person towards gaining some of it permanently.

Successful (re)programming of System 1?:

http://socialanxietyhelpblog.wordpress.com/tag/system-2-thinking/] Another example is learning to drive. When you have your first few lessons said:
I realized that I wasn't really sure why a shock increases clarity or what kind of shock does. I will have to think about this more. It seems to have more to do with putting someone outside of their comfort zone where mundane thoughts don't chatter.

It rather sounds like System 2 is engaged during the "shock":

[quote author=http://socialanxietyhelpblog.wordpress.com/tag/system-2-thinking/]
In contrast, system 2 is what we revert to in the face of difficulty or unfamiliar tasks. For example, you go to Ikea and buy a flat pack bedside table. You carry it upstairs and open the box – all using system 1 thinking. Then you get the instructions, look at them, have a slurp of tea, scratch your head – and system 2 thinking starts to kick in. In order to get your head round the unfamiliar task of putting together the table, you need to THINK!!
[/quote]

Thanks for your input, Muxel. I like the way you framed that "It" as interaction between our unconscious and the Information Field. That seems to work for me. :)

Grammatically ambiguous sentence I know but I actually meant "It" to mean the information field (or Gaia's dream, set of morphic fields, quantum foam, ...) In what way are the lower levels of Rez like your natural environment? I checked it out on youtube.

Muxel said:
In what way are the lower levels of Rez like your natural environment? I checked it out on youtube.

In a different but related way. Like a sense of being immersed in an environment full of active sensory stimuli, noticing patterns of motion and having a feel for rhythms in the environment occasionally accompanied by what seems like 'echos' of musical notes seemingly tuned by the intensity levels of whatever is going on.

I like fast-paced environments full of activity. I feel like a gyroscope sometimes, in that the more is going on around me, the calmer and more settled I often feel inside.

Megan, what you've described matches my experience.

Thanks Muxel. I haven't gotten through many of the books available but it is helpful for you to draw those connections. It all fits from my experience. The idea of the "field of thought potentials" being consciously reprogrammable I think is really getting somewhere. I have previously thought of the impression stream as being a program. I previously described an impression as behaving like an equation, so the analogy really fits.

I used to play a videogame called Street Fighter. If you watch youtube videos of competitions in this game, you'll see it demands good reflexes. Each fighting move requires you to press a sequence of buttons. The stronger moves are more difficult. One of them requires you to press 5 buttons in less than half a second or so. And you have to press all the right buttons in the right order at the right moment, so that a few hundred mS afterward the strike will land at the right place. I became quite good at performing the complex moves and people would refuse to play with me. When I first began it was incomprehensible to me how someone would be able to pull these things off, but it really seems to be a state of mind as well as practice. I think training in a real martial art would have been healthier though.

Buddy said:
I like the way you framed that "It" as interaction between our unconscious and the Information Field. That seems to work for me. :)

I saw it your way and it makes more sense like that. God! I wish I'd kept my stupid mouth shut. :headbash:

Buddy said:
Muxel said:
In what way are the lower levels of Rez like your natural environment? I checked it out on youtube.

In a different but related way. Like a sense of being immersed in an environment full of active sensory stimuli, noticing patterns of motion and having a feel for rhythms in the environment occasionally accompanied by what seems like 'echos' of musical notes seemingly tuned by the intensity levels of whatever is going on.

I like fast-paced environments full of activity. I feel like a gyroscope sometimes, in that the more is going on around me, the calmer and more settled I often feel inside.

I'll pick this up some other time. Now I need to :zzz:

monotonic:

I only played the PC port of SF. I have seen a couple vids on youtube: some guy who got Ken/Ryu down to an art form, and a competition vid which was hard to watch because the characters were zipping around at light speed, indeed marvelous reflexes these guys had.

monotonic said:
When I first began it was incomprehensible to me how someone would be able to pull these things off, but it really seems to be a state of mind as well as practice.

That statement holds true for a lot of things.

:zzz:

Muxel said:
"In its pure state," they said. I took it to mean something greater than the dictionary definition of "curiosity": like the interaction between our unconscious and the Information Field, or what Buddy calls "It" here:

Buddy said:
For me, it's certainly more a felt phenomena and I also tend to think of it with a self-organizing principle that I believe exists. And the 'organizing self' is not a 'self' that is related to any conception of "me", necessarily. For all I know, if this stream has an owner, it may be GAIA's dream or Nature's biosphere, or perhaps a morphic field or else a set of such fields or information traveling on photon streams from across the galaxy, or quantum foam or whatever. IOW, it may just be a field of self-aware data forming and un-forming gestalts, entangling or mixing with local environmental data in my nervous system - a sort of quantum entanglement, I suppose.

or simply the unconscious sorting itself out and directing us to "seek" (for what's missing, or for something more, or whatever). Also, I think what Buddy describes in the above quote is a System 1 activity, i.e. he is talking about System 1.

I think that the above description matches Carl Jung's schema of the conscious ego surrounded and interpenetrated by the personal unconscious which in turn is surrounded and interpenetrated by the collective unconscious. The collective unconscious is made up of all that exists - it is timeless and spaceless. More accessible parts of the collective unconscious include (but not limited to) the social unconscious belonging to the cultural milieu one grows up in, family unconscious spanning across multiple generations, as well as certain mythological motifs and symbols which cut across cultures.

I think System2 in this schema belongs primarily to the activity of the conscious ego characterized by deliberate attention and thinking. System1 is that part of the personal unconscious which influences the conscious ego. The "field of self-aware gestalts" are what Jung called "archetypes" transcending time and space which "entangle" with the personal unconscious and the conscious ego. The C's terminology would be "thought forms" I guess.

As the collective unconscious is characterized by archetypes (for the sake of categorization in the psychological aspect), the personal unconscious contains complexes. Of interest to us are complexes which are split off parts of the consciousness due to early trauma. These are not integrated in the conscious ego. Such complexes drive obsessions or other rigid, inflexible behavioral patterns (programs) which seem to have a life of its own mostly overwhelming the relatively weak ego consciousness. Most of the psychological work is geared towards integrating these complexes which tend to act in an autonomous and maladaptive manner to the current reality.

I realized that I wasn't really sure why a shock increases clarity or what kind of shock does. I will have to think about this more. It seems to have more to do with putting someone outside of their comfort zone where mundane thoughts don't chatter.

[/quote]

I agree. In the computer analogy, a shock would be like an "interrupt" which causes a suspension of all the rogue programs to attend to the new event. Mirrors, in life or here at the forum, produce such shocks. These shocks are wake-up calls to take notice of what is going on.

Buddy said:
Thanks for linking that Temple Grandin piece Megan. I just adore that woman's accomplishments!

Temple Grandin] It wasn't until I went to college that I realized some people are completely verbal and think only in words.[/quote] When I realized the above said:
I do much of my heavy-duty problem solving in an entirely non-verbal mode to which I don't think I even have conscious access. I haven't tried to look too closely at it, partly because consciously thinking about it interferes with the process itself...

Jonathan Schooler pioneered research in this area. That's who I learned the phrase "verbal overshadowing" from to describe this effect. Theoretically, the effort to translate what I 'see' into words 'shifts' my locus of perception from the right hemisphere to the left, 'displacing' active visual memory. The internal experience is more like words getting in the way and obscuring the field of view, so to speak.

@monotonic: I haven't forgotten this thread and, like Megan, I'm still trying to find a way to better align my experience with yours. Is there anything else you would care to add? Are you familiar with the video game "Rez?" I swear I've never played it and I play no video games at all, but I've seen the videos on youtube and everytime I watch those related to the lower levels of the Rez game, I feel an excitement like it's somehow my natural environment. :)

I was discussing this with a friend earlier - how sounds, internal talk, or words in general, function as mental agents. How the brain mimics speech when formulating thoughts. How, when someone is describing a scenario to you, you formulate an imagery in an effort to understand.
How some people seem to solve problems better when they verbalize their thought processes as opposed to other who solve problems better with imagery, symbolism, non-verbal [verbal overshadowing] & find it easier to follow trains of thought when it is quiet - or dimmer lighting.

I think the shift between hemispheres in the brain is related to it. It also makes me think about a hemispherical link between body sensations & what the brain is focussed on [so System 2 in some way]/inner dialect.

obyvatel said:
Muxel said:

Buddy said:

I think that the above description matches Carl Jung's schema of the conscious ego surrounded and interpenetrated by the personal unconscious which in turn is surrounded and interpenetrated by the collective unconscious. The collective unconscious is made up of all that exists - it is timeless and spaceless. More accessible parts of the collective unconscious include (but not limited to) the social unconscious belonging to the cultural milieu one grows up in, family unconscious spanning across multiple generations, as well as certain mythological motifs and symbols which cut across cultures.

I think System2 in this schema belongs primarily to the activity of the conscious ego characterized by deliberate attention and thinking. System1 is that part of the personal unconscious which influences the conscious ego. The "field of self-aware gestalts" are what Jung called "archetypes" transcending time and space which "entangle" with the personal unconscious and the conscious ego. The C's terminology would be "thought forms" I guess.

As the collective unconscious is characterized by archetypes (for the sake of categorization in the psychological aspect), the personal unconscious contains complexes. Of interest to us are complexes which are split off parts of the consciousness due to early trauma. These are not integrated in the conscious ego. Such complexes drive obsessions or other rigid, inflexible behavioral patterns (programs) which seem to have a life of its own mostly overwhelming the relatively weak ego consciousness. Most of the psychological work is geared towards integrating these complexes which tend to act in an autonomous and maladaptive manner to the current reality.

I agree. In the computer analogy, a shock would be like an "interrupt" which causes a suspension of all the rogue programs to attend to the new event. Mirrors, in life or here at the forum, produce such shocks. These shocks are wake-up calls to take notice of what is going on.
[/quote]

As far as my understanding permits at the time, what isn't acknowledged in the personal unconscious [System 1] seems to be reflected back to us by external reality in myriad different ways, trying to gain attention or bring us to awareness of something. When System 2 becomes aware, a "shock" is produced & the external manifestation alters consequently. So System 2 then has options for responding, being conscious; deal with it later, try to integrate etc.

System 2 has choice of pathways to take [probably so for System 1 also] osit...
Interesting inputs indeed!

Narrative media music used for narrative purposes in multimedia such as film, television or computer games, is becoming one of the largest sources of musical experience in our daily lives. Though typically experienced on an unconscious and unreflected level, this kind of music actively contributes narrative meaning in multimodel interplay with image, speech and sound effects.

I was sitting on my bed reading this morning as I usually do, being aware of my body and trying as usual to use my self-awareness to improve my reading. This is not necessarily something I do for kicks but because I just don't ordinarily enjoy reading much and I want to understand it as best as I can the first time around (nice thought!).

I keep finding that there are disturbances that seem to dominate my thinking but appear as pain in my body. I know that my wellbeing at the moment has a great effect on my thinking, so it makes sense that the bodily condition could cause effects like this. What's strange is how it seems to take the form of an attitude of some sort that acts as a lens on my thinking. In any case something entirely new for me is that I've begun to notice that if I can stay aware of the feelings in my body, it seems I can separate them from the feelings in my mind, and this way a distinction forms that somehow decreases mental interference. This is something I could not possibly have thought of until I experienced it. As I was reading and feeling, I noticed that as I was distinguishing feelings and separating them, there was a tone in my head that was getting louder. It felt like whenever I separated these feelings, that one part of the feeling would rise to my head and the other would fall back into my body and dissipate. It felt like the separating was happening around my heart. When the feelings in my body dissipated, the tone in my head was relatively loud and then it stopped, and all the emotional interference in my head was gone. I was able to read and enjoy the experience; comprehension came naturally with much less resistance. Doing this also seemed to stop the pain in my body. Some was left, but the "painful feeling" part of it was gone.

I really don't know what may have been causing what. It may be that this was happening naturally and the only difference was I was able to observe it. I can't really say I caused anything but from my perspective that's how it looked. Personally I think my perspective makes it look like I'm causing something to happen, or that something else caused it to happen, when that may not be the case. It was just things happening one after the other and I don't know how else to think of it.

I've experienced the audible noise thing before, where I hear tones or motors or noise coming from my head and if I pay attention to it it eventually stops, leaving me in an awkwardly peaceful silence.

This is something that tends to happen if I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me, while my brain is recovering. In this case it was associated with pain and bloating in my belly. It was low-level pain.

I'm posting this here because it follows my point on diet and the body affecting thought. For me, the effects of eating something wrong might be like getting smacked upside the head with a brick. That's what it feels like to me, although to others it may not seem like anything has changed.

crescendo said:
Narrative media music used for narrative purposes in multimedia such as film, television or computer games, is becoming one of the largest sources of musical experience in our daily lives. Though typically experienced on an unconscious and unreflected level, this kind of music actively contributes narrative meaning in multimodel interplay with image, speech and sound effects.

I am becoming more aware of that, as it becomes easier and cheaper to produce, and I find it annoying. My experience doesn't need an unconscious "boost," and I start to feel emotionally manipulated. (It has been used that way all along, but I wasn't as aware of it earlier in my life.)

If I feel that I need music to accompany a story, I would rather play something suitable in my head.

Musical interludes, used like "punctuation," are somewhat a different matter. And I do enjoy certain live musical theatre performances, where music is the point, not a distraction. I actually performed in one once (a "bit part").

crescendo said:

Welcome to the forum crescendo :)

Since this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page and other related sites, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

Back
Top Bottom