RHP - the greatest health protocol or the most dangerous ever invented?

othree

Jedi
(few weeks ago i joined an ozone group forum on facebook which i found was a great resource to share my experience of around 8 years with ozone therapy which i used exclusively to recover from lyme disease ca 5 years ago. out of curiosity i started looking into other ozone therapy groups on FB and came across peter jovanovic's wall where i saw that laura and ark were his FB friends. incidentally i had just posted a longer posting on facebook dealing with RHP - a procedure peter jovanovic offers at his clinic in malaysia. i contacted laura and asked whether she was interested in reading it and she suggested i post the article here, since she doesn't have time to read it at the moment. so here is what i wrote on the FB group about RHP:)

OZONE MYTHS BUSTED: MYTH #2: "RHP / EBOO IS THE MOST POWERFUL OZONE PROTOCOL"

yes, that is correct: RHP / EBOO is the most powerful ozone protocol - if you can survive it. just like using your car to jump across a 3 lane highway by propelling yourself off a ramp is the fastest way to get to the other side - if you can survive it. "wait a minute, there is a danger in doing ozone? i thought it was one of the safest protocols there is." yes, it is, but the risk in RHP or EBOO is not the ozone, it's the heparin.

what exactly is RHP / EBOO?

RHP stands for Recirculatory Haemoperfusion.

EBOO stands for Extracorporeal Blood Ozone Oxygenation.

they both describe the same procedure, which is a type of ozone blood dialysis. blood is extracted from one arm, it flows into the 'dialysis machine' which infuses the blood with ozone, and the now ozonated blood is being reintroduced into your other arm.

what "they" don't tell you is that this procedure - like any procedure which requires blood to be extracted and reintroduced into the body - requires an anti-coagulant. in ozone therapy it's mostly heparin. if no heparin is used, the blood will clot and it's impossible to perform the procedure. if too much heparin is used - it can induce death, be it due to the liver shutting down or by causing internal bleeding. since during RHP your entire blood is being extracted and re-infused - that calls for maximum amounts of heparin.

saul pressman explains in his book "the story of ozone":

"Blood coagulates when it is exposed to the air, so a method had to be found to prevent coagulation. The liver normally secretes heparin to prevent clotting inside the body. Sodium heparin was found to be effective in preventing clotting outside the body. Later, when heparin was seen to cause problems in some patients with liver problems (especially cirrhosis), sodium citrate was adopted by some doctors. However, heparin is still widely used because sodium citrate is less effective, even though heparin is hard on the liver and is known to suppress the immune system."
http://www.o3center.org/Articles/TheStoryofOzone.html

most people who've ever looked into ozone therapy will sooner or later come across the mythical, magical RHP. this mythos is mostly due to ed mccabe's "top 5" in his book "flood your body with oxygen". ed mccabe created a list with the 5 most powerful ozone protocols and on the number 1 spot of that list he put RHP - "the crown jewel" of ozone therapies, the king of all kings, the one thing which can single handedly cure cancer, AIDS, lyme - and restore peace in the middle east - with just few treatments. coupled with the claim that RHP circumvents a herxheimer reaction (since allegedly all the oxidized toxins remain in the machine) and the fact that it's banned in the US and is prohibitively expensive (up to $10,000 / month which includes 4 treatments) - the hype is perfect and irresistible. imagine yourself being a multi billionaire, jet setting to faraway asian countries to receive a magical ozone treatment at top-secret locations, while dodging evil FDA agents. "oh yeah baby, just pass me my gucci sunglasses" you say, while being hooked up to an RHP machine and turning your body into a disease proof armor. bruce wayne has nothing on you.

big spoiler alert - the reality is nothing like it. i've never received RHP (although, after reading ed mccabe's book, i wished i had for a long time, preferably in a very similar scenario as described above), but i know 2 people who have. both have been chronically ill for quite some time. not only did they not get better with RHP (they have been both diagnosed with lyme disease among other things), but one closely escaped death (landing in an intensive care unit with acute liver cirrhosis) and the other going through such traumatic herxheimer reaction that he chose to mostly stay away from ozone ever since.both people have spent tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars, respectively, over the years to restore their health. one of them asked his parents to take out a mortgage on their house so he would be able to pay for the treatment. those stories and others made me understand to what incredible lengths people are able to go and what heretofore inaccessible resources they can mobilize if their health is at stake. and that is exactly what some of those who run the RHP clinics primarily speculate and prey on: people's desperation. and at the same time they conveniently omit to disclose the substantial risks associated with it.

also, the claim that RHP will not create a herxheimer reaction only makes sense on paper. once you take a closer look into it or talk to people who had it done, you realize that that cannot be the case. why? to claim that an ozone blood dialysis machine will not create a herxheimer reaction is to assume that 1) all the toxins in the body can be found primarily in the blood and 2) the ozonated blood which is being reinfused into the body does not carry any ozone anymore at the point of re-entrance. both assumptions are wrong. 1) our bodies, meaning: our organs, muscles, tissues, tendons, even bones, lymph fluid, blood and most of all - fat - carry toxins and pathogens. the older we are, usually, the more toxic we are. just cleaning out the blood does not automatically result in a cleaned up body. also given that most toxins are stored in the fat (something the body does to protect the organs), it will take time to release them. a few ozone blood cleansing procedures can at best start that process which takes time and dedication to complete. 2) the reinfused blood is supercharged with ozone and oxygen. on re-entrance into the body which is full of toxins and pathogens it will immediately start reacting with them - resulting sometimes in the most severe and traumatizing herxheimer reaction imaginable. so the RHP induced herxheimer reaction can be - contrary to the claim by its proponents - one of the worst ever.

so, you might ask "what IS the most powerful ozone protocol?"

it depends what you have - there is no all-inclusive answer to that.

there is no single magical ozone bullet which will take care of any pathology in an equal measure, doesn’t matter whether it’s fungus on your feet or a HEP C virus infection.

the belief in such a magic bullet is the main misconception about ozone.

so, if you have brain cancer - most probably ear insufflations alone will take care of it.

if it's an ulcer in your stomach - drinking some ozonated water will probably fix it relatively quickly.

if it's lyme, the thing is slightly more complicated, since you want to ideally flood your body with ozone so that lyme won't have anywhere to run and hide in its cyst form. the very minimum program for that are ozone ear insufflations and ozone saunas, but if you can add DIVs, other insufflations and/or o3 water to it, you will achieve a higher and faster ozone saturation.

(any ozone therapy recommendations are not mine - i'm not a doctor or any therapist, i don't give medical advise - but are mostly quoted from saul pressman's now inactive ozonetherapy yahoo forum and his books. for further questions, he can be contacted at spressman@hotmail.com)

othree,

I tend to agree with the author ... I am not questioning ozones efficacy (I haven't looked into that closely enough) but the way to administer it. Extracorporeal membrane ozone application is kind of invasive.

Not only do you need full anticoagulation with all the side-effects noted, but you also really need to know what you are doing and need to closely monitor levels of anticoagulation. It's done in hosptials all over the world in various scenarios, but there are often problems that pop up, some very dangerous ones too. Anyone who has worked with cardiac surgeons knows what full anticoagulation can lead to - ask Gabi ...

The other problem is the Herxheimer reaction. Simple membrane ozone application doesn't remove toxins in the blood, you would need hemofiltration to do that, which adds another set of problems, apart from the fact that it is very hard to know what toxins get washed out in what proportion.

I personally wouldn't want to try that - and I am fairly generous with experimentation with my own body.

I think there are other good methods that do something similar, but without the dangers associated.

Hyperbaric therapy would be one and if you can find a competent doctor who is willing to prescribe this, that might be a better and safer option.

Sircus is advocating ozygen therapy, and while I don't agree to all he says, it's a good starting point for your research.

Hope that helps.

I tend to agree with the author ...

hi nickelblue,
thanks for your comment ... i'm the author :) , sorry if that wasn't made clear enough. what i posted in brackets in front of "the article" that's just a tiny bit of my backstory.

i've done 100's of ozone IVs during and post lyme recovery. i think they do a very good job of removing toxins - or better just support the body's own toxin removal system ... which i assume happens through way of kidneys, lymph, urine etc. at least i don't know how else to explain the profound health improvement i encountered after doing them. i can highly recommend it.

Extracorporeal membrane ozone application is kind of invasive.

one of the people i know who did RHP was told that the RHP machine traumatizes blood cells to some degree, so that it takes several days for them to recover after which point the procedure can be repeated. that is also one reason why he could receive RHP only 1/ week. a drawback of RHP i forgot to mention in the article.

othree said:
I tend to agree with the author ...

hi nickelblue,
thanks for your comment ... i'm the author :) , sorry if that wasn't made clear enough. what i posted in brackets in front of "the article" that's just a tiny bit of my backstory.

i've done 100's of ozone IVs during and post lyme recovery. i think they do a very good job of removing toxins - or better just support the body's own toxin removal system ... which i assume happens through way of kidneys, lymph, urine etc. at least i don't know how else to explain the profound health improvement i encountered after doing them. i can highly recommend it.

I was specifically referring to that part (not to ozone therapy as such):

i've never received RHP (although, after reading ed mccabe's book, i wished i had for a long time, preferably in a very similar scenario as described above), but i know 2 people who have. both have been chronically ill for quite some time. not only did they not get better with RHP (they have been both diagnosed with lyme disease among other things), but one closely escaped death (landing in an intensive care unit with acute liver cirrhosis) and the other going through such traumatic herxheimer reaction that he chose to mostly stay away from ozone ever since.both people have spent tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars, respectively, over the years to restore their health. one of them asked his parents to take out a mortgage on their house so he would be able to pay for the treatment. those stories and others made me understand to what incredible lengths people are able to go and what heretofore inaccessible resources they can mobilize if their health is at stake. and that is exactly what some of those who run the RHP clinics primarily speculate and prey on: people's desperation. and at the same time they conveniently omit to disclose the substantial risks associated with it.

Apologies if I was not clear ...

It just never ceases to amaze as to how many people tend to think that they can intelligently discuss a healing therapy without any prior knowledge or experience. This whole topic is so far removed from the truth that it would be painful and cumbersome to reply to all the inaccuracy contained in it. Please people, if you have questions regarding RHP, do yourself a favor and ask those that have been doing it for a while and not any person that wants to give their inaccurate no matter how well meaning opinion. When anyone talks about a therapy, the first question to ask yourself is, as this person experienced this therapy or have they ever performed this therapy on anyone, if the answer is no, I would question everything that they have to say and n fact, question the motives behind their negative review. For further information on RHP and other related topics, feel free to go to my blog, this post in particular _http://ozoneuniversity.blogspot.com/2013/04/ozone-therapy-rhp-why-is-it-superior.html

May God Bless You And Keep You Well

Peter “Professor Ozone” Jovanovic Ph.D. (Hon.), M.D.(A.M.)
Founder and CEO
Ozone Research Group Inc.
Owner of Trademark, Certification, Research and Training
RHP (Recirculatory Haemoperfusion)
United States, Canada and European Union

I would tend to look at the question from a slightly different angle. To me it only makes sense to discuss a health protocol if we have first defined what it means to be healthy and what it means to be sick (unhealthy). Consequently, I find that it's relevant to separate the question into two parts, namely what is the reason we get sick and what can be done to heal us once we do.

Reading Gabor Maté's "When The Body Says No" and the associated thread (https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34415.0.html) brings up the very important point that whenever somebody's suffering from a disease there are two things going on. One thing is the pathogen or disease and another is the environment in which the disease functions. The degree to which we become sick or ill depends on the ability of the body's own defenses to handle the disease. As Gabor Maté points out the psychological coping mechanisms that we develop during infancy and childhood prevent many people from honestly and authentically expressing their emotions and based on the connection through what he calls the PNI super system (phsychneuroimmunoendocrine) this sets the stage for sickness susceptibility. Consequently, if one is sick, as I see it, it would always make sense to ensure that the body is as able as possible to deal with problem along with trying to assist the body in handling the disease. So treatment of the symptom is never enough on its own.

The second point has to with what to do if you're actually sick. Merely removing the symptom is often a short term solution if the body remains fertile soil for further attacks due to the immune system being compromised based on internal stress. Obviously, there will be many situation where you'll also want to treat the symptom to save the person from dying or suffering. There are many types of treatment that aim at removing the survival conditions of the pathogens be it ozone-treatments, MMS, chemo- or radiation therapy. But I would argue that even if the treatment does what its proponents claim (and that's definitely not the case with MMS) the underlying imbalance in the body still exists and if we see the symptom as just one manifestation of the underlying imbalance then the stress will just move on to the next weakest system in the body and manifest the symptom there.

It may very well be that ozone therapy has symptom treating benefits and can be useful. But if we are discussing the treatment within the context of a health protocol I believe it only makes sense to consider the main contributors to a persons health. And within such discussion, as I understand it currently, the symptom treatment may not be the biggest contributor.

FWIW.

For further information on RHP and other related topics, feel free to go to my blog, this post in particular _http://ozoneuniversity.blogspot.com/2013/04/ozone-therapy-rhp-why-is-it-superior.html

hi peter, thanks for your contribution.
i've read the above link. it describes in great detail RHP procedure but it completely omits to answer the main question, so if you could be so kind: do you use heparin during RHP?

Consequently, if one is sick, as I see it, it would always make sense to ensure that the body is as able as possible to deal with problem along with trying to assist the body in handling the disease. So treatment of the symptom is never enough on its own.

that is exactly the reason why ozone therapy is so powerful, because it does not treat just the symptom but the underlying issue which in many (if not most cases) is body toxicity (if it's other than heavy metals, in which case ozone does not seem to be very effective, or mercury toxicity to be more precise) and/or inflammation. ozone will oxidize, hence neutralize or kill, the toxin or pathogen and so allow the body to dispose of it through the body's many detox channels, be it breath, feces, urine or sweat. that's why the ozone induced "toxin disposal" aka herxheimer reaction can be one of the most drastic ever, because ozone is such a wide-spectrum killer and will trigger a nearly instant toxin removal reaction. ozone is also one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory agents by treating the underlying cause of many inflammations: lack of oxygen through impaired blood circulation.

There are many types of treatment that aim at removing the survival conditions of the pathogens be it ozone-treatments, MMS, chemo- or radiation therapy. But I would argue that even if the treatment does what its proponents claim (and that's definitely not the case with MMS) the underlying imbalance in the body still exists and if we see the symptom as just one manifestation of the underlying imbalance then the stress will just move on to the next weakest system in the body and manifest the symptom there.

to put ozone therapy in the same ball park as MMS, chemo- or radiation therapy, means that the main concept of ozone therapy is not understood. yes, MMS, chemo and radiation are, just like ozone, therapies which kill cancer and/or other pathogens through oxidization. but ozone, unlike all the other mentioned protocols has oxygen, o2, as its only byproduct. all the other modalities leave carcinogenic toxins as byproducts. that's why chemotherapy is known to cause cancer long term, just like radiation therapy; MMS is linked to birth defects and anemia. ozone, on the other hand, does not create any pathologies since it doesn't leave any toxic byproducts. it removes toxins from the system, it doesn't add any, unlike the other modalities.

It may very well be that ozone therapy has symptom treating benefits and can be useful. But if we are discussing the treatment within the context of a health protocol I believe it only makes sense to consider the main contributors to a persons health. And within such discussion, as I understand it currently, the symptom treatment may not be the biggest contributor.

can i correctly conclude from the first sentence in that paragraph that you are not very well informed about ozone therapy nor experienced in it?
please, allow me to assist you with at least the information part:

here, a selection of what ozone does in the body which as you can see goes profoundly deeper than just treating symptoms:

Ozone Improves Oxygen Metabolism
Ozone improves the delivery of oxygen to hypoxic tissues, as well as reactivating the oxygen metabolism of cells. The mechanisms of these systemic actions involve both direct and indirect processes.
Ozone directly changes the electric charges of the erythrocyte membranes increasing the flexibility and plasticity of the erythrocytes, thus enhancing the flow properties of the blood and the transport of oxygen to the cells and tissues. This is especially applicable in arterial occlusion disease whereby "pile of coins" erythrocyte formation is typical. The indirect mechanism consists of ozonolysis, i.e. the ionizing reaction of ozone with the unsaturated fatty acids in the cellular membrane producing peroxides.

It must be pointed out that ozone behave as an ion, not a free radical under normal physiological blood pH and therefore no radical chain reaction occurs to cause oxidative damages. The reaction activates the enzyme 2,3 Diphosphoglycerate (2,3-DPG) in hemoglobin to release oxygen. This is of particular importance to diabetics in which 2,3-DPG is depressed.

Ozone Induces Specific Enzymes
The formation of short-lived peroxides at the membrane are injected into the cell and are removed by the enzyme glutathione peroxidase. Therefore, it is recommended to supplement with vitamin E, N-acetyl-systeine and selenium during ozone therapy to support the glutathione detoxification system. In addition, the enhancement of the glycolysis enzymatic pathway results in an increase in adenosine triphosphate production (energy currency of the cells).
This is significant in the management of stroke and burns. The elevation of adenosine triphosphate synthesis will decrease perifocal edema formed in the injured site minimizing tissue necrosis and subsequent scarring. But this is effective only when ozone is administered within the first 24 to 48 hours. In Germany, many ambulances are equipped with ozone an it is injected intravenously in patients who have just suffered a stroke.

Ozone Activates Immune System
It is well documented that ozone can activate monocyte and lymphcocytes and induced the production of an array of cytokines such as interleukin, interferon, tumor-necrosis factor. (The Journal of International Medical Research 1994) Its ability to elicit endogenous production of cytokines and its lack of toxicity make ozone an indispensable therapeutic modality since today's most devastating diseases are characterized by immune depression such as chronic viral diseases, cancer and AIDS. Of course restoration of the immune system depends on a total approach of detoxification, lifestyle modification and supportive therapies.

http://www.oxygenhealingtherapies.com/Healing_Ozone.html

here a more complete description: http://o3center.org/Articles/OzoneandItsUseinMedicalTherapy.html

i can also recommend this book: http://www.o3center.org/Articles/TheStoryofOzone.html#lymph

Hi Othree:

Yes, we do use heparin, but only in minimal amounts related to the actual weight of the individual, as there is no other way when dealing with any therapy that involves blood circulation outside of the body. In the 20 or so years that I have been involved with the clinical use of RHP there has only been one reaction to heparin and no long term issues whatsoever.

Founder and CEO
http://www.ozonehospital.com

but only in minimal amounts related to the actual weight of the individual
what is the amount in relation to the weight which you use?

In the 20 or so years that I have been involved with the clinical use of RHP there has only been one reaction to heparin and no long term issues whatsoever.

you're lucky then, i guess. assuming that one reaction wasn't anything drastic.
my friend was not so lucky and ended up in an intensive care unit due to acute liver cirrhosis. she says she closely escaped death. but she fully recovered and continued ozone treatments, which did not call for heparin, at home.

this person here also didn't seem to be very lucky after receiving heparin: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfmaude/detail.cfm?mdrfoi__id=871346 and died of internal bleeding, "gastrointestinal bleeding" to be precise. interestingly, the heparin is nowhere mentioned in the report. but of course, as you mentioned, every procedure which requires blood to be extracted from the body and re-infused calls for an anticoagulant, also in this case heparin had to be used.

FDA's info on heparin's side-effects mentions that very fact: "Hemorrhage is the chief complication that may result from heparin therapy".
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2006/017037s158lbl.pdf

i hear that some "ozone experts" actually took that case as "proof" that ozone therapy is contraindicated in cancer patients and may even lead to death?

what do you think about that?

do you think that given that MAH (major autohemotherapy, ther procedure performed on the above mentioned cancer patient. MAH is the extraction and reintroduction of blood into the vein after it has been treated with ozone.) requires heparin as an anti-coagulant and that as the FDA says "Hemorrhage is the chief complication that may result from heparin therapy" is it possible that it was the heparin which caused the internal bleeding in her case and killed her? and that it had nothing to do with ozone?

Hi Othree:

We use 5, 000 units or less in saline.

Othree, I have no idea who you are or what your experience is but you must understand that there are a number of factors that would go into a successful RHP therapy, if they are no followed to the letter as in any other medical therapy they would and have endangered the patient. This has nothing to do with luck, it has to do with experience and safety above all.

Having said this, I also have to advise you that there are many copy cats out there that believe they can use a normal ozone unit, pump and filter and begin therapy on any individual that comes through the door. This is far from the truth and has very severe circumstances. We manufacture the only certified RHP units on the planet, we also train those that purchase our units for quite a while on the safe and effective use of RHP therapies. If they follow what we train, they will never encounter an issue with our method and equipment. Unfortunately, the world being what t is, there are many that do not do that no matter what we do, so it is not fair to judge our certified RHP therapy with something else.

Your assumption that the liver cirrhosis was due to in some way heparin or ozone, is way off. Although any qualified and well instructed RHP therapist would have spotted that issue previous to doing therapy by following the procedures of pre-testing that we advocate before any patient is treated.

As for the rest I am one of those that are against ozone use in any cancer patient above stage two, I have been vocal about this for a long time now and have written much about it here http://ozoneuniversity.blogspot.com/, here http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home%23!/group.php?gid=116342095054808 and here http://www.facebook.com/ProfessorPeter

No, I do not believe that t was heparin but I do believe that it was ozone, which is why anyone using ozone, whether at home or with a physician needs to be aware of it's potential danger when used incorrectly, please read my blog and inform yourselves of the drawbacks of using ozone. Ozone therapy is the safest and best form of therapy for any disorder but it must be used correctly by a well trained therapist or there will be issues. As my friend would say, "Ozone is not the kiss and hug that we think it is." Contrary to what you read on the internet or books, it can and has done damage used by inexperienced weekend trained practitioners.

Founder and CEO

peter,

here is a quote from your blog
Ozone MAHT or Major Autohemotherapy. This method is done by taking 200 - 250 cc's of blood from a vein, mixing it in a bag or a jar with the same amount of ozone and a bit of heparin, then re-inserting it in the vein.

as you describe, heparin is used during MAH.

is it possible not to use heparin (or any other anti-coagulant) to successfully perform MAH?

(as to who i am: the first paragraph in the very first posting in this thread gives a quick description of who i am in context of ozone therapy)

but only in minimal amounts related to the actual weight of the individual

if you could be so kind: how much heparin do you use with RHP?
i believe the correct answer should be given in grams or milligrams or cc or ml per kg or per lb of body weight?

how much heparin in do you use with MAH?

No, I believe it would be foolish to not use heparin for MAHT, but having said that I do see overuse...

We use 5, 000 to 7,500 units at most.

Founder and CEO

Back
Top Bottom