Leonardo da Vinci meets gluten intolerance

Gaby

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Weston Price has summarized facial malformations derived from a diet poor in saturated fats and rich in refined carbohydrates. Others have done as much, for instance Dr. Cate Shanahan in her book "Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food". She argues that children who received the most nourishing diet are prettier overall and as women exhaust their nutrient reserves while they continue to eat a crappy diet, their children are born differently and more health-challenged so to speak. Then we have the near extinction of the 12 sized hour-glass figure. As we replaced saturated fat with carbs, women got a squared figure.

Then we have "The Genotype Diet" by Peter D'Adamo which summarizes certain genotypes and how certain food intolerances can cause certain patterns in your body. I remember reading something about wrinkled thumbs if you have a very unhealthy gut, or something among those lines.

Here is more info and speculations on how Big Agra's diet might have changed the way we look. At least for those who have celiac disease...

Is Your Forehead Related to Your Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

_http://redtailwellness.com/resources/research-articles/is-your-forehead-related-to-your-irritable-bowel-syndrome/

By Dr. Ian Hollaman

The craniofacial morphology of patients with celiac disease reveals an altered pattern of craniofacial growth,“ claims an article titled ”Large Forehead: A Novel Sign of Undiagnosed Celiac Disease,“ in a 2005 issue of Digestive and Liver Disease.

Specifically, the study found that people who suffer from gluten intolerance had a larger forehead due to abnormal growth patterns as a child. To determine if this is a factor for you, measure from the bottom of your chin to the bottom of your nose, from the bottom of your nose to between your eyebrows, and from between your eyebrows to the top of your forehead.

The face should be divided into equal thirds; if your forehead is larger than the other two sections, there's a good chance that gluten is affecting your gastrointestinal condition. Furthermore, a 2009 Polish scientific article states that one of five IBS patients suffer from positive antibodies to gluten!

Whether you have a large forehead or not, if you suffer from digestive irritability, there are many possible causes and treatment options that can greatly improve your life.

https://youtu.be/46wSQ85bvhs?feature=player_embedded

Attached document: JPGN Volume 56, Number 2, February 2013

Leonardo da Vinci Meets Celiac Disease

Chiara Zanchi et al.

ABSTRACT
Background and Aim: Leonardo da Vinci’s face symmetry derives from
3 equal craniofacial segments: trichion-nasion (tn), which represents the
superior third of the face, nasion-subnasal (ns) that is the medium third of
the face, and subnasal-gnathion (sg) that is the length of the lower third of the
face. It has been reported that adult subjects with celiac disease (CD) can be
identified on the basis of a greater extension of the forehead in comparison to
the medium third of the face, with a high tn/ns ratio. The aim of the present
study was to investigate the correlation between facial asymmetry and CD in
childhood and adulthood.

Methods: We studied 126 biopsy-proven patients with CD (76 children and
50 adults) and 102 healthy controls (43 children and 59 adults). Their faces
were photographed; the pictures were edited using a software program to
calculate the facial segments.

Results: The tn length was significantly different between adult celiac and
adult controls (7.431.46 cm vs 6.381.73 cm, P¼0.001). The cutoff of
6.5 cm tn, derived from receiver operating characteristic curve analysis,
identified 43 of 50 patients (sensitivity 86%), but 34 of 59 controls were
positive (specificity 54.2%). The positive predictive value was 56%;
however, the tn/ns ratio was not significantly different between celiacs
and controls. Neither the tn length nor the tn/ns ratio in celiacs correlated to
the time of gluten exposure.

Conclusions: Adults, but not children, with celiac disease show a forehead
extension significantly greater than controls, but this test’s specificity
appears too low to be used in the screening of CD.

[...]In his famous ‘‘Vitruvian Man,’’ a mathematic design in
which the union between scientific spirit and artistic intuition is
expressed, Leonardo da Vinci defines the ideal and perfect proportions
of the human body, and divides the face into 3 equal parts
(Fig. 1).

A recent study suggests that adult celiac patients have a
typical asymmetry of the face, with a forehead that is larger than the
other two-thirds of the face.

Attachments

• leonardo da vinci gluten intolerance.pdf
    234.8 KB · Views: 14
Gaby,

Thank you for posting this. I grew up in a GF home because my brother nearly died of Celiac -sprue as an infant. I've been GF myself for many years and am constantly looking for more insight on the subject.

I'm a big fan of Weston Price since the early 80's and have one of his books whee he describes facial structure vis a vis refined foods.

Thank you, thank you for writing about the connection between nutrition and physical symmetry and bone structure. It is very timely for myself and my family right now. I'm forwarding these links to my family ASAP.

There is much more I'd like to say; but I've got to get to work. Meanwhile I just wanted to let you know how very useful this insight is for me right now.

I think it is pretty interesting. I've always considered my forehead way too big, but according to Da Vinci's measures, I'm proportionate :D But if your family is interested in this particular subject, they might enjoy Cate Shanahan's Deep Nutrition quoted above. Weston Price is a classic and has plenty of compelling illustrations which makes his point, but Dr. Cate's book is just priceless in info.

Hmm...interesting. And yeah, taking D'Adamo's research into account, I wonder if there is any correlation between the craniofacial morphology and blood types, like, for example, if those with blood type O have a greater intolerance to carbs, would they have a higher occurrence of people with large foreheads?

My forehead is massive (no kidding, it is) but I don't have irritable bowel syndrome. But bready carbs sure do suck the energy out of me.

Back
Top Bottom