Hypertension and Mercury Toxicity

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I received a link to an article in an email today that I thought was significant enough to share:

Ronald Grisanti D.C., D.A.B.C.O., D.A.C.B.N., M.S.

A growing body of medical literature has discovered the damaging effects of mercury on endothelial (the inner lining of blood vessels) function and vascular smooth muscle function.

Mercury induces mitochondrial dysfunction with reduction in adenosine triphosphate (ATP), depletion of glutathione, and increased lipid peroxidation. Increased oxidative stress and reduced oxidative defense are common.

The overall vascular effects of mercury include increased oxidative stress and inflammation, reduced oxidative defense, thrombosis, dyslipidemia, and immune and mitochondrial dysfunction.

The clinical consequences of mercury toxicity include hypertension, coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmias, reduced heart rate variability, increased carotid intima-media thickness and carotid artery obstruction, cerebrovascular accident, generalized atherosclerosis, and renal dysfunction.

Read the rest here: http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/1161.cfm

That is very interesting. I was in a free program for a time that gave me extensive blood testing in which i was found to have extremely high levels of mercury and lead in my blood, along with nickel. I was given what amounted to basically half of a chelation therapy for both. Both because of time, and the fact that i was allergic to one of the main treatments which i believe was EDTA. I am not sure if it was only because of the extremely high amounts of mercury fillings i had all my life (which i have since eliminated). Where do all these extreme amounts of metals come from? I also wonder if i have done any good at all with this chelation i went through, or if it is all or nothing type of thing? I have DMSA tablets i have been saving for quite awhile, but now i wonder how long the shelf life for them is, and if i should just use them up?

davey72 said:
I have DMSA tablets i have been saving for quite awhile, but now i wonder how long the shelf life for them is, and if i should just use them up?

Not really sure about the shelf life, but I think it is not long. I had some that had an expiration date of 2011 and just tossed them recently. I don't know if using beyond their expiration date makes them less effective or if it is harmful even. So I decided better safe than sorry and tossed them.

Sources of mercury would include fish, especially bottom feeders and those at the top of the food chain such as tuna. Shellfish such as oysters and mussels and also shrimp and prawns will help you accumulate mercury and other heavy metals. Of course there is the dental mercury from fillings, and the more controversial vaccination source which is thimerosal, an adjuvant component of vaccines.
If you handle elemental mercury such as from a broken thermometer, it can be absorbed through the skin, and you could possibly absorb mercury fulminate if you handle guns or explosives a lot.
Eliminate the source.

Laura said:
I received a link to an article in an email today that I thought was significant enough to share:

Ronald Grisanti D.C., D.A.B.C.O., D.A.C.B.N., M.S.

A growing body of medical literature has discovered the damaging effects of mercury on endothelial (the inner lining of blood vessels) function and vascular smooth muscle function.

Mercury induces mitochondrial dysfunction with reduction in adenosine triphosphate (ATP), depletion of glutathione, and increased lipid peroxidation. Increased oxidative stress and reduced oxidative defense are common.

The overall vascular effects of mercury include increased oxidative stress and inflammation, reduced oxidative defense, thrombosis, dyslipidemia, and immune and mitochondrial dysfunction.

The clinical consequences of mercury toxicity include hypertension, coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmias, reduced heart rate variability, increased carotid intima-media thickness and carotid artery obstruction, cerebrovascular accident, generalized atherosclerosis, and renal dysfunction.

Read the rest here: http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/1161.cfm
Thank you Laura for this article, having recently been informed by a cardiologist that I have 'high' hypertension, and that it has been around for about two years, and also that a blood test showed that I have very high inflammation (C-Reactive Protein level). This would coincide with having my mercury fillings replaced by a dentist that took no special precautions, although I did do the full rounds of the DMSA detox at the time. Time to do another set of DMSA detoxes.

I like the final line in the article:
This (an effective protocol to chelate the toxic metal) in fact may be the missing piece of the puzzle in reducing high blood pressure.
Indeed, he may well be right. :)

The Doctor's Heart Cure, by Al Sears, MD states that dental plaque, gum disease and teeth decay are all interelated and pose a significant threat to cardiovascular health. The bacteria in the mouth can sneak through the diseased gums and enter the blood stream, causing inflammation and trigger an immune response.
The chronic infection activates the white blood cells, which can cause arterial lesions and encourage plaque build-up on the walls of your arteries. These arterial plaque deposits thicken and narrow the walls of the artery. This deceases blood flow to the heart and brain, increasing your risk of heart attack and stroke.
. Once again, this is something that I've experienced through life.

Putting the two together begins to answer a lot of questions.

Prodigal Son said:
I like the final line in the article:
This (an effective protocol to chelate the toxic metal) in fact may be the missing piece of the puzzle in reducing high blood pressure.
Indeed, he may well be right. :)

What has worked for many is Linus Pauling's protocol of Vit C + Lysine + Proline taken together and often. Cardio-C is one product designed just for this (Vit C Foundation) - but you can mix your own from powders. Since Vit C can be a heavy metal chelator, it might be worth doing a course of Vit C IVs (100grm) and check blood CRP-HS.

LQB said:
What has worked for many is Linus Pauling's protocol of Vit C + Lysine + Proline taken together and often. Cardio-C is one product designed just for this (Vit C Foundation) - but you can mix your own from powders. Since Vit C can be a heavy metal chelator, it might be worth doing a course of Vit C IVs (100grm) and check blood CRP-HS.
Thanks, I'll look into that too.

A funny thing about vitamin c i learned fairly recently is that they are now giving it out in place of citric acid to addicts in the inner cities for injection. I will spare the details but i am thinking it must be fairly safe. Either that or its just a better alternative.

I missed this when it was first posted, but thanks Laura for beginning the thread -- the connection between heart disease and heavy metal toxicity does seem to be very strong, based on what I've learned the past couple of months.

davey72 said:
I also wonder if i have done any good at all with this chelation i went through, or if it is all or nothing type of thing?

I don't think it's all or nothing -- every bit helps. If you were only able to chelate 50% for example, you've still relieved your total body burden by half, which should cut down on vascular inflammation and relieve some of the oxidative stress.

davey72 said:
I have DMSA tablets i have been saving for quite awhile, but now i wonder how long the shelf life for them is, and if i should just use them up?

Storing them in a cool, dry place helps to preserve the shelf life. I've been using up a bottle that's two years past the due date, which seems to be doing the job, and then I'm going to move on to a fresh one. It's probably ideal to use a newer batch -- it may be better not to wait on an older one as long as you're physically prepared to chelate.

It looks like there are several papers on this topic, but here's one that examines mercury, lead, and arsenic -- summary quoted below:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/234034/

The major risk factors for CVD are identified by the Framingham Heart Study (FHS). Beyond the FHS, numerous studies indicate a correlation between environmental pollution and the development of CVD. By following the CERCLA Priority List published by the ATSDR and EPA, arsenic, lead, and mercury are the most hazardous substances. Their effects on the cardiovascular system are founded on the endothelial dysfunction caused by stimulation of ROS, decrease of levels of antioxidants, inhibition of endothelial NO synthesis, enhanced lipid peroxidation, inhibitory effects on the mitochondrial respiratory chain, endothelial cell proliferation, apoptosis and DNA damage. The effects of chronic low-dose exposure to arsenic, lead, and mercury result in high blood pressure, arrhythmia, accelerated progression of atherosclerosis, enhanced carotid sclerosis, elevated risk of myocardial infarction, and an increased mortality from cardiovascular diseases.

Chronic arsenic poisoning as well as chronic lead and mercury poisoning is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Intensified research showed that the limit values for the vascular- and blood pressure-damaging effect of these most hazardous substances had repetitively to be corrected downward. Combined metal interactions should be considered a risk factor for the development of CVD. Because CVD is the leading cause of death worldwide the efforts of the national health care systems in identifying the risk factors for cardiovascular diseases and the development of new strategies for prevention and treatment must be lit up. Prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of occupational and environmental exposures to arsenic, lead, and mercury should be integrated in the guidelines for CVD.

Thank you all for the information, I have recently had high blood pressure, had made protocols with EDTA and DMSA several months back, I will make some detoxification protocols again and see if my problem can be heavy metals. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom