Session 14 October 2017

I am glad to see that Gurdjieff has been removed from the pedastal that so many had placed him on. Having read very little of his except some excerpts here in the forum, I'm not sure I ever got past his acts as a conman and a rapist through hypnoticism or other manipulation. His achievements may be seen in a light similar to the story in The Wave where the drunk with super healing powers has to be dragged out of the bar to heal someone. I think the point was along the lines that super abilities do not correspond with moral or deserving qualifications.

Mikey said:
- Around 16. Oct. One of our members experienced a fainting episode.
- 18. Oct. The window lifting mechanism of one of our cars broke. Later in the afternoon, another of our members experienced a fainting episode.
- 20. Oct. Yet another of our members experienced a fainting episode.

All the fainting sounds dangerous. I hope everyone is drinking plenty of water and staying within comfortable temperatures.

A neighbor told me a story on October 24 that they found their father in law fainted unconscious at home a couple months ago; it was really hot but the father never turns on the air conditioning because he doesn't want to spend the money even though he is wealthy. Well he's spent the money in a different way, a 2 week hospital stay.

Windmill knight said:
Another dream last night involved me watching a scene: a woman calls into her house a very wierd looking alien (like a repulsive colorful humanoid fish - these were walking among people regularly in the dream), so that it would 'consume' her little son and she could get rid of him. Realizing how she was tricking the child into it, the alien decided to consume the woman instead. That left me with a bad feeling, as you can imagine.

This seems like karma, justice, or an appropriate ending for woman trying to kill her son.

Hesper said:
The trolley problem is a thought experiment in ethics. The general form of the problem is this:

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person tied up on the side track. You have two options:

Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track.

Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

Which is the most ethical choice?

The modern form of the problem was first introduced by Philippa Foot in 1967,[1] but also extensively analysed by Judith Thomson,[2][3] Frances Kamm,[4] and Peter Unger.[5] However an earlier version, in which the one person to be sacrificed on the track was the switchman's child, was part of a moral questionnaire given to undergraduates at the University of Wisconsin in 1905,[6][7] and the German legal scholar Hans Welzel discussed a similar problem in 1951.

There is zero chance I would affirmatively choose to kill my own child to save five strangers. Who else bears the ultimate responsibility for a child but the parents?

--

While proofreading this post, my bathroom sink literally just broke. My spouse accidentally knocked the soap dispenser into the sink, and it broke a large hole right through the sink. I can stick my fist through the hole in the sink (new meaning to sink hole).

For those who want brain training,I would recommend a book called The Manual : a guide to the ultimate study method.That book covers pretty much everything,starting with concentration exercises (meditation) and goes on to memory training then speed reading and then ties them up in the USM (ultimate study method).Each chapter is packed with data and provides a timetable and hints for practice.Just the concentration chapter alone covers something like 9 different meditation methods,all of which are employed at specific intervals to train not only your ability to concentrate on visuals,but also smells and sounds.

If you follow the guidelines of the book you can acquire near photographic memory,memory palace,900 word per minute reading speed with 100% reading comprehension and more.But you gotta practice daily.

Another good book is The Monographs by Ben Cardall. You can look him up on youtube,he's a mentalist and has mastered the Holmsian method of observation.In the Monographs he lays out step by step how to observe people based on their walk,their clothes,what their manner of speech may say and the like.If you ever wanted to observe things like Sherlock Holmes,this is the book for you. Just to give you an idea of what he's accomplished by continuous practice - he can split his attention to observe two things simultaneously and he can tell what you're writing on paper just by listening (the method for this is described in the book).

It sounds like there has been some crazy stuff happening over there! Thankfully everyone is safe. The world in general seems like it is falling apart recently. It is a reminder to stay vigilant.

I recently had a dream which I wouldn't call a nightmare, but it was strange nonetheless. I was walking through a town in the mountains somewhere, perhaps in Switzerland, and found myself speaking German to some strangers in a chocolate/coffee shop. Then something shifted and I was with a very thin, frail old man with long grey hair and missing teeth. I knew that this was Laura, and he/she told us that we needed to make it to the top of one of the nearby mountains to make communication with something (I guess it was the C's). Pierre was also there, and the three of us trecked up toward the top of the mountain when all of a sudden we were hit by some kind of earthquake. The surrounding mountains began to rise and fall, and there was chaos around us. The old man (Laura) fell down and broke her leg, and I was shocked to see that her bone had pierced through the skin. My initial direction was to head back down the mountain, but to my amazement Laura said that we should carry on up to the top, despite the terrible wound she had sustained to her leg. She just wrapped it in a cloth, and carried on hiking up this mountain. I didn't quite know how to proceed - should I go back down to safety? or should I face the adversity and danger and persist on this treacherous trip up the mountain to make communication?

Then I woke up, and never got to find out which choice I made.

Hindsight Man said:
For those who want brain training,I would recommend a book called The Manual : a guide to the ultimate study method.That book covers pretty much everything,starting with concentration exercises (meditation) and goes on to memory training then speed reading and then ties them up in the USM (ultimate study method).Each chapter is packed with data and provides a timetable and hints for practice.Just the concentration chapter alone covers something like 9 different meditation methods,all of which are employed at specific intervals to train not only your ability to concentrate on visuals,but also smells and sounds.

If you follow the guidelines of the book you can acquire near photographic memory,memory palace,900 word per minute reading speed with 100% reading comprehension and more.But you gotta practice daily.

Another good book is The Monographs by Ben Cardall. You can look him up on youtube,he's a mentalist and has mastered the Holmsian method of observation.In the Monographs he lays out step by step how to observe people based on their walk,their clothes,what their manner of speech may say and the like.If you ever wanted to observe things like Sherlock Holmes,this is the book for you. Just to give you an idea of what he's accomplished by continuous practice - he can split his attention to observe two things simultaneously and he can tell what you're writing on paper just by listening (the method for this is described in the book).

The first book as you describe it, is misleading. The aim of meditation is not to be able to be super-concentrated. The aim of meditation is to be more connected with our own upper self. The super-concentration being the tool not the goal. :)

Same for the second book. Seem STS oriented. Mentalist techniques being tools to manipulate others. But with that in mind, you can perhaps be careful and find to use it in an STO way. Would be interesting if you study it and give feedback of your thoughts.

Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:

The first book as you describe it, is misleading. The aim of meditation is not to be able to be super-concentrated. The aim of meditation is to be more connected with our own upper self. The super-concentration being the tool not the goal. :)

Same for the second book. Seem STS oriented. Mentalist techniques being tools to manipulate others. But with that in mind, you can perhaps be careful and find to use it in an STO way. Would be interesting if you study it and give feedback of your thoughts.

The first book as I described it is about brain training.Not just meditation.
As for the second book,why do you think it's selfish to be observant?

Keyhole said:
The old man (Laura) fell down and broke her leg, and I was shocked to see that her bone had pierced through the skin. My initial direction was to head back down the mountain, but to my amazement Laura said that we should carry on up to the top, despite the terrible wound she had sustained to her leg. She just wrapped it in a cloth, and carried on hiking up this mountain.

That's actually pretty close to reality. Laura injured her leg in several places (knee, hamstring, achille's tendon capsule, etc.) and decided nonetheless to keep on climbing the steep symbolic mountain which is our mission.

Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:

This is not being observant that is selfish. This is for what purpose you train yourself to this ability, that can be.

hlat said:
I am glad to see that Gurdjieff has been removed from the pedastal that so many had placed him on. Having read very little of his except some excerpts here in the forum, I'm not sure I ever got past his acts as a conman and a rapist through hypnoticism or other manipulation. His achievements may be seen in a light similar to the story in The Wave where the drunk with super healing powers has to be dragged out of the bar to heal someone. I think the point was along the lines that super abilities do not correspond with moral or deserving qualifications.

This seems quite a harsh verdict on Gurdjieff. But be that as it may, I don't think it's helpful to toss G.'s teaching in the bin and make "tabula rasa". As Collingwood points out when he talks about progress, true progress can only happen if the change that is made still solves the problems that the previous model solved. Otherwise, the result is unpredictable (but usually things deteriorate, as history shows). We know that Gurdjieff's insights and example, as applied here, solved many problems and served as a good guide in many ways. His psychological conclusions clearly work and helped many people here, if applied properly. So any change that is being made must be made so that this be retained. Great if the problems of the previous "era" can be solved even better, and great if we modify our understanding so that we can solve the new problems of the "new era", but damned if we get rid of those things that worked in favor of some "revolution" that makes things worse. OSIT

Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:

This is not being observant that is selfish. This is for what purpose you train yourself to this ability, that can be.

That's kind of a moot point,since you can apply that to pretty much anything.

hlat said:

I don't think the drunk who could stop bleeding from the wave is a good comparison.
That example was better to describe how having powers out of this world can happen despite ignorance or bad health (being a drunk).

Gurdjieff did a good job on what he saw about reality and its undercurrents.
I could understand why he stayed materialist. I myself would stay with materialism if I hadn't found this group. Why? Because there is tons of garbage out there that claims to have spiritual answers. If you check sott.net High Strangeness section, there is a huge grey area as to what is true or false.

What we have that the news/books don't have is a big picture of connecting the dots, which shows the hyperdimensional aspect much better than hearsay or some specific experiences that people could have hallucinated etc.

Gurdjieff did not have that. In his time it was a more black and white separation. Science vs spritualism, for example. There didn't seem to be a network that looked into the grey area for him.

Someone else mentioned that he was good at describing STS, but not about STO. Well, we don't know for sure either. This reality IS STS, as the C's said, so all we can do is see what happens and try to be objective about it. Not lying to oneself about things being STO might be a key karmic lesson that the C's remind us about. Stop fooling ourselves, see that we are a big part machines too, and maybe that seed of awareness can grow into what becomes STO.

Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:

Hi Ellipse!
Thank you for your advertising.
I'm currently looking for a good book about meditation, about training on focus and concentration. Do you have recommendations of book or articles (in french if possible, if not, I'll make the effort to read in english if the book worths it)

Divide By Zero said:
hlat said:

I don't think the drunk who could stop bleeding from the wave is a good comparison.
That example was better to describe how having powers out of this world can happen despite ignorance or bad health (being a drunk).

Gurdjieff did a good job on what he saw about reality and its undercurrents.
I could understand why he stayed materialist. I myself would stay with materialism if I hadn't found this group. Why? Because there is tons of garbage out there that claims to have spiritual answers. If you check sott.net High Strangeness section, there is a huge grey area as to what is true or false.

What we have that the news/books don't have is a big picture of connecting the dots, which shows the hyperdimensional aspect much better than hearsay or some specific experiences that people could have hallucinated etc.

Gurdjieff did not have that. In his time it was a more black and white separation. Science vs spritualism, for example. There didn't seem to be a network that looked into the grey area for him.

Someone else mentioned that he was good at describing STS, but not about STO. Well, we don't know for sure either. This reality IS STS, as the C's said, so all we can do is see what happens and try to be objective about it. Not lying to oneself about things being STO might be a key karmic lesson that the C's remind us about. Stop fooling ourselves, see that we are a big part machines too, and maybe that seed of awareness can grow into what becomes STO.

Indeed. G gave good insights about humans being a machine, being influenced easily (A influences), but he didn't applied that to himself!
He had biases to, but didn't seem to see it. For instance, I noticed his misogyny (in belzebubs tale) when he said that women should not have short hair (why that??), or when he hold women in contempt for having had sexual relations with monkeys. In his book on remarkable men, he never quotes any remarquable women; women appear just to serve men (when he quotes his daughter, it's just to say the attention she must had to keep his glass of tea hot. Really any remarquable women around him?).

He was able to see others being machines, but not himself! It's a good example for us, to see that we must first observe ourselves, our biases, our negative programs, and not only the others'. Plus his materialistic view. Maybe this is the reasons why G failed in his Work. At least, by him, we see the mistakes to avoid. For this, I can thank him.

(Chu) What was Gurdjieff trying to achieve?

A: His own salvation and immortal life.

Q: (Joe) And was he successful?

A: Not by his terms. He was actually rather surprised!

Thank you to the Cs for showing us "the fate of the ignorant and unaware". And a great thank to Laura for completing Knowledge, in light of the huge amount of her readings and for sharing it with the world. Thank you.

edit: quotes

Mandrak said:
Laura said:
Meditation is also useful. Doing things that you know are necessary, but are outside your comfort zone also signal to the machine that the master is now running the show.
For those who want to train control of the mind through concentration and meditation, the command to the body to be completely calm (without movement, even the smallest ones), besides breathing, enhances the effect of exercise but also discomfort.

The main result that one should aim for is beneficial changes in the brain architecture such as increase of frontal cortex grey matter. One example was given that was rather powerful: a young fellow who was having a lot of problems with various dissociations. He was sent to a sort of biofeedback thing that lasted about a year or so. The initial training was using a computer while he had electrodes attached to his head that measured various brain currents. If the frontal cortex went quiet, that meant that ATTENTION and CONCENTRATION was slipping. So, when that happened, the video game he was playing would fall apart, more or less, stop working. Only when his attention and concentration was ON and focused would the thing work. So, since he wanted to achieve the rewards of the game, he had to keep his focus. Doing this over and over and over and over - several times a week for months - actually grew more grey matter!!! And the benefits of that additional grey matter were all over the place: more self control, more alertness to his environment, more awareness, better grades, and so on and so forth. It literally transformed him.

Meditation does something other than the above described brain training, though it, too, is important and helpful. All depends on the individual. Those who dissociate a lot and have no self control need that frontal cortex increase. In fact, you might say that dissociation is the enemy in pretty much all respects. Those who dissociate into games that do NOT require real concentration are doing damage to themselves. Those who dissociate into porn or fantasies are also damaging themselves.

SeekinTruth said:
Last few months, I've been grieving my mother's death and it's been very intense. When my dad passed in 2011, it was much more intermittent (the overwhelming grief) whereas with my mom's passing, it's been much more concentrated. With my dad, it lasted a couple of years of still having the process complete. I'm wondering how long grieving for my mom will last.

Active grieving can last a year or longer. But truth is, you never entirely stop grieving, you just get used to the new world without your loved one physically present in it; a new history finally forms.

Felipe4 said:
I have a theory of my own that the personality is the interface between the mind and the body, the software, and the result of the conglomeration of systems.. I had to leave a post on draft because this idea may be incomplete...

The personality is partly the interface between the mind and body and the interface point is largely the brain which is why it is so important to understand the brain and its operations as deeply as possible. Much of the personality is programmed reactions and very often, these can be changed. See Dabrowski on that.

hlat said:
While proofreading this post, my bathroom sink literally just broke. My spouse accidentally knocked the soap dispenser into the sink, and it broke a large hole right through the sink. I can stick my fist through the hole in the sink (new meaning to sink hole).

Sounds like some part of you is trying to send another part of you a distinct message!!! He who digs a pit for others can fall into it himself!!! You were pretty busy digging a pit!!!

Hindsight Man said:

These sound like possibly interesting books but I think that what we are looking for is more in line with what Collingwood and Engberg-Pedersen describe as is being laid out in the recommended books and threads. As the Cs have said:

Life is religion. Life experiences reflect how one interacts with God. Those who are asleep are those of little faith in terms of their interaction with the creation. Some people think that the world exists for them to overcome or ignore or shut out. For those individuals, the worlds will cease. They will become exactly what they give to life. They will become merely a dream in the "past". People who pay strict attention to objective reality right and left, become the reality of the "Future".

It would probably do everyone some good to reflect deeply on every phrase of this quote especially the last sentence. Reading it in the context of Collingwood's "historical man" carries an all-new deeper and wider meaning! Probably time spent on studying history and current events in equal proportions would serve the individual much better. This is even more true if the person has some sort of aversion to reading non-fiction or regularly engages in dissociation of some sort. When you get the urge to watch porn, why not read Tacitus instead? Even if you have to read a sentence or paragraph five times to get it, it's an effort, or as G would term it, a struggle between yes and no.

Again and again I see how working on sott has revealed itself as possibly one of the greatest tools of disciplining and training the mind and thus increasing brain matter than anything else we have encountered. Of course, living in community is a big thing too because one has to be constantly aware exactly as the Cs have said above.

Of course, being able to read fast with comprehension can facilitate all else so finding a feedback training method to do that isn't a bad idea.

If you find that you need to "rest the brain" from concentrating, go to meditation or relax with some kind of puzzle or what we consider to be beneficial dissociation: morally improving or instructive films or literature. Again, watching films that you wouldn't ordinarily watch because they aren't "exciting enough" and actually require some concentration is a struggle between yes and no and builds brain matter.

Considering the role of the frontal cortex as you will learn about in the "Anatomy of Violence" book, I even wonder if that isn't one of the major benefits of The Work, and possibly the main "receiver" and/or "transmitter" that all of us need to develop in order to "surf the wave" instead of going under. With that possibility in mind, perhaps we should do all we can in this direction?

Laura said:
Mandrak said:
Laura said:
Meditation is also useful. Doing things that you know are necessary, but are outside your comfort zone also signal to the machine that the master is now running the show.
For those who want to train control of the mind through concentration and meditation, the command to the body to be completely calm (without movement, even the smallest ones), besides breathing, enhances the effect of exercise but also discomfort.

The main result that one should aim for is beneficial changes in the brain architecture such as increase of frontal cortex grey matter. One example was given that was rather powerful: a young fellow who was having a lot of problems with various dissociations. He was sent to a sort of biofeedback thing that lasted about a year or so. The initial training was using a computer while he had electrodes attached to his head that measured various brain currents. If the frontal cortex went quiet, that meant that ATTENTION and CONCENTRATION was slipping. So, when that happened, the video game he was playing would fall apart, more or less, stop working. Only when his attention and concentration was ON and focused would the thing work. So, since he wanted to achieve the rewards of the game, he had to keep his focus. Doing this over and over and over and over - several times a week for months - actually grew more grey matter!!! And the benefits of that additional grey matter were all over the place: more self control, more alertness to his environment, more awareness, better grades, and so on and so forth. It literally transformed him.

Meditation does something other than the above described brain training, though it, too, is important and helpful. All depends on the individual. Those who dissociate a lot and have no self control need that frontal cortex increase. In fact, you might say that dissociation is the enemy in pretty much all respects. Those who dissociate into games that do NOT require real concentration are doing damage to themselves. Those who dissociate into porn or fantasies are also damaging themselves.

SeekinTruth said:
Last few months, I've been grieving my mother's death and it's been very intense. When my dad passed in 2011, it was much more intermittent (the overwhelming grief) whereas with my mom's passing, it's been much more concentrated. With my dad, it lasted a couple of years of still having the process complete. I'm wondering how long grieving for my mom will last.

Active grieving can last a year or longer. But truth is, you never entirely stop grieving, you just get used to the new world without your loved one physically present in it; a new history finally forms.

Felipe4 said:
I have a theory of my own that the personality is the interface between the mind and the body, the software, and the result of the conglomeration of systems.. I had to leave a post on draft because this idea may be incomplete...

The personality is partly the interface between the mind and body and the interface point is largely the brain which is why it is so important to understand the brain and its operations as deeply as possible. Much of the personality is programmed reactions and very often, these can be changed. See Dabrowski on that.

hlat said:

Sounds like some part of you is trying to send another part of you a distinct message!!! He who digs a pit for others can fall into it himself!!! You were pretty busy digging a pit!!!

Hindsight Man said:

These sound like possibly interesting books but I think that what we are looking for is more in line with what Collingwood and Engberg-Pedersen describe as is being laid out in the recommended books and threads. As the Cs have said:

Life is religion. Life experiences reflect how one interacts with God. Those who are asleep are those of little faith in terms of their interaction with the creation. Some people think that the world exists for them to overcome or ignore or shut out. For those individuals, the worlds will cease. They will become exactly what they give to life. They will become merely a dream in the "past". People who pay strict attention to objective reality right and left, become the reality of the "Future".

It would probably do everyone some good to reflect deeply on every phrase of this quote especially the last sentence. Reading it in the context of Collingwood's "historical man" carries an all-new deeper and wider meaning! Probably time spent on studying history and current events in equal proportions would serve the individual much better. This is even more true if the person has some sort of aversion to reading non-fiction or regularly engages in dissociation of some sort. When you get the urge to watch porn, why not read Tacitus instead? Even if you have to read a sentence or paragraph five times to get it, it's an effort, or as G would term it, a struggle between yes and no.

Again and again I see how working on sott has revealed itself as possibly one of the greatest tools of disciplining and training the mind and thus increasing brain matter than anything else we have encountered. Of course, living in community is a big thing too because one has to be constantly aware exactly as the Cs have said above.

Of course, being able to read fast with comprehension can facilitate all else so finding a feedback training method to do that isn't a bad idea.

If you find that you need to "rest the brain" from concentrating, go to meditation or relax with some kind of puzzle or what we consider to be beneficial dissociation: morally improving or instructive films or literature. Again, watching films that you wouldn't ordinarily watch because they aren't "exciting enough" and actually require some concentration is a struggle between yes and no and builds brain matter.

Considering the role of the frontal cortex as you will learn about in the "Anatomy of Violence" book, I even wonder if that isn't one of the major benefits of The Work, and possibly the main "receiver" and/or "transmitter" that all of us need to develop in order to "surf the wave" instead of going under. With that possibility in mind, perhaps we should do all we can in this direction?

I see your point,but I still think that having an excellent memory and being a kind of ''detective'' in your everyday life would be beneficial,since you would be able to compare notes in your head instead of having to refer to the physical copy of a book every time and it would also allow you to not only observe your life better but also (speaking as someone who has fallen for very obvious cons before) make you less susceptible to lies,whether they come from individuals or society as a whole.After all even a rose has to grow thorns.

Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:

That's kind of a moot point,since you can apply that to pretty much anything.

Please, don't try to use manipulative techniques by mixing concepts. You asked, you got the answer. If you can't figure out why the basics of a principle is not related to is moot, can't do much for you.

Back
Top Bottom