1996 Piece of artwork and your opinion

I am in agreement with Chu here. Having been trained and worked as an art therapist, I can tell you that art creation is a very personal thing and trying to interpret somebody else's artwork is pure transference. We see through our own eyes and our own perceptions, and ascribe meanings and translate symbols based on our own stuff. Unless the creator is there to tell the story of his own creation, we will never know. Some members have given interpretations for the "1914" already, based on historical events, but we have no clue what 1914 as a number/year/whatever meant for the creator.

An example of what I mean above and I see quite often here on the forum: when people watch a movie and then post to say that said movie is a representation of what the C's have said, or it is riddled with Work-related esoteric meanings, etc. Truth is, the creators haven't read the C's transcripts or had any idea of Work concepts when they made the movie, but we tend to perceive from it things from ourselves, what we transfer from our own internal world into what we see. Like interpreting shapes on clouds or Rorschach's test in a way. What's that english saying? When the only tool one has is a hammer, everything he sees is a nail.

Quasicrystal, I can imagine it is very hard to lose a sibling under such tragic circumstances, and it is natural to want to understand the hows and whys. But in this situation, however, I would be in agreement with others, remember the good times with him, and let his soul rest in peace. Trying to understand his state of mind is futile I think (especially through one drawing that he created at a specific point in time many years back) and as Laura alluded to, can be dangerous too. Do read Operators and Things, when you get a chance, you will have a better understanding of what we mean.

The whole situation reminds me of the book "Operators and Things" - as though that world was being expressed in art.

Thank you for your replies. After reflection I am realizing that while I’m looking to find my physical/spiritual balance this is a part of me letting go. I’m really glad you recommended a book. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom