2D Desert Friends

B

Bar Kochba

Since moving to Phoenix in January 2009, I have had the pleasure of working in the desert and seeing many of the critters who call it home. I like all of them. I have been up close and personal with mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, rattlesnakes, coral snakes (all kinds of snakes), different kinds of lizards, horned toads, javalinas, quail, tarantulas, africanized bees (I have been stung 4 times in 2 years)...and my favorite desert critter, the road runner. I am an irrigation tech at a golf resort in the desert, and my job brings me into contact with these animals every day. Road runners are crazy to observe; they will chase, kill, and eat field mice. One will come strutting down the fairway towards me, staying about 2-3 car lengths away from where I am standing. If I have a watering hose in my hand, I will quickly turn it on and try to douse the bird. It will run out of range in a hurry, only to come strutting back, its crown all spiky from being wet, as if to say, "Try it again, buddy." We do this quite often.

The desert is a dangerous place. It keeps me on my toes, and has taught me to respect and move amongst all life in a way I never have before. ;)

Quite interesting BK. Perhaps bring that guitar of yours to work someday and serenade nature?

She will surely enjoy it.

I lived in Arizona for a short time and have fond memories of the exotic wildlife in the high desert. Especially the road runners. They do have a distinct personality.

I moved to Albuquerque, NM years ago for a short time. Having only seen 'the road runner' in cartoons, I actually expected them to be about two feet tall! :lol:

But wow, I've only seen them run around, never got to get to know their personalities.

Oh and the greatest shock was taking off my shoes to go wander around barefoot like normal. Um, ouch. So many prickers/thorns. I barely made it out five feet out of the house before learning that lesson!

The desert is a dangerous place. It keeps me on my toes, and has taught me to respect and move amongst all life in a way I never have before. ;)

I agree-- those javalinas are quite something. Used to 'run into' families of them when I was hiking. Good thing you can usually hear them big-time before seeing them! Nothing like a shot of adrenaline to make one feel really alive! :scared: :D

SolarMother said:
...those javalinas are quite something. Used to 'run into' families of them when I was hiking. Good thing you can usually hear them big-time before seeing them! Nothing like a shot of adrenaline to make one feel really alive! :scared: :D

I have a funny story about javalinas. Early one morning, I was kneeling down on the ground working. I heard a rustling noise and I looked up at the desert hill above me. What did I see bearing down straight at me at a full run but a javalina that was huge! I stood up quickly in surprise, and it came to a dead stop about 20 feet away from me. I think we surprised each other. It moved its head around, snorting, as if wondering what to do. Me? Well, I controlled my breathing and calmed myself, backing slooowly away and to the left, very slowly. Once I was far enough away, the javalina snorted and continued running in the same direction, down over the golf course and back into the other side of the desert. What a rush that was. If I wouldn't have stood up, I cringe to think what that animal's tusks would have done to me! :O

Bar Kochba said:
SolarMother said:
...those javalinas are quite something. Used to 'run into' families of them when I was hiking. Good thing you can usually hear them big-time before seeing them! Nothing like a shot of adrenaline to make one feel really alive! :scared: :D

I have a funny story about javalinas. Early one morning, I was kneeling down on the ground working. I heard a rustling noise and I looked up at the desert hill above me. What did I see bearing down straight at me at a full run but a javalina that was huge! I stood up quickly in surprise, and it came to a dead stop about 20 feet away from me. I think we surprised each other. It moved its head around, snorting, as if wondering what to do. Me? Well, I controlled my breathing and calmed myself, backing slooowly away and to the left, very slowly. Once I was far enough away, the javalina snorted and continued running in the same direction, down over the golf course and back into the other side of the desert. What a rush that was. If I wouldn't have stood up, I cringe to think what that animal's tusks would have done to me! :O

Whoa! Good story!
Good thing javalinas do seem to be as wary of us as we are of them (once they see or smell us.) ;)

Back
Top Bottom