A wild pig with bright blue flesh - found in California

angelburst29

The Living Force
The title is some what deceptive, in that, the flesh/meat and blood are a normal color but all fatty deposits are bright blue. There are no Copper mines in the area but old filled in Mercury mines. Could it be a chemical imbalance of some kind or a GMO experiment gone wrong or something different, all together? If this isn't an isolated case, with all the wild fires raging in California, there won't be too many more specimens rooming the foothills?

A wild pig with bright blue flesh was found in California (photo's)
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/wild-pig-stained-blue-inside

When a couple out on their ranch in Morgan Hill, California, saw a wild pig roaming the brush, they decided to shoot it and take it home for meat. After transporting the pig back home and draining its blood, the pair cut open the pig ready to skin and portion it, only to find this wild hog was hiding something quite unusual below the surface.

The pair were shocked to find that its fat was bright blue

According to the original post (_http://imgur.com/gallery/YTIx8), all the fat within the body was consistently stained blue. Its meat and blood however, were of normal color.

The couple have shot and eaten other wild pigs on their ranch and claim to never have found a specimen like this one.

Questions were raised whether an old copper mine in the vicinity may have caused the blue coloring, but according to the post there are only old, filled-in mercury mines in the nearby area.

Samples of the pig have been sent over to University of California, Davis to uncover the source of the unusual coloring.

angelburst29 said:
The title is some what deceptive, in that, the flesh/meat and blood are a normal color but all fatty deposits are bright blue. There are no Copper mines in the area but old filled in Mercury mines. Could it be a chemical imbalance of some kind or a GMO experiment gone wrong or something different, all together? If this isn't an isolated case, with all the wild fires raging in California, there won't be too many more specimens rooming the foothills?

The old mercury mines are quite a distance away from Morgan Hill and I find it extremely unlikely that's the cause. I've never heard of anything like this in the area over the years and this would certainly have made a news outlet.

On imgur - where the pictures were posted - some people proposed what is the likely answer: rat or ground squirrel poison (aka rodenticide) ingestion

See more here:
http://cahfs.ucdavis.edu/local-assets/pdfs/Anticoagulant_rodenticide_fact_sheet_formatted.pdf (look at the color of the poison)
http://ucanr.edu/sites/Ground_Squirrel_BMP/CONTROL_METHODS/Anticoagulants/

When I look at the information provided, it points to this being an isolated case.

Interesting Domi, rodenticide sounds like a strong possibility? And "Thanks" for the links.

Just an after thought, if the wild pig ingested a considerable amount of rodenticide poisoning, especially enough to discolor the fatty tissue into a bright blue, I would think it would lay dead close to the source - yet this pig was running around in the brush on the ranch?

angelburst29 said:
Interesting Domi, rodenticide sounds like a strong possibility? And "Thanks" for the links.

Just an after thought, if the wild pig ingested a considerable amount of rodenticide poisoning, especially enough to discolor the fatty tissue into a bright blue, I would think it would lay dead close to the source - yet this pig was running around in the brush on the ranch?

Some things to consider:
- Javelinas (aka wild pigs) are quite large - lots of mass
- poison is anticoagulant which is an agent that prevents blood clotting

They'd have to ingest quite a bit of this poison and then get a bleeding wound to drop dead practically speaking.

There's also the 'blue pork syndrome' that sprung up in Uganda back in '98 and has been a concern ever since, though no real funding has been put into investigating the possible causes or health hazards. So I'm wondering if it's not connected in some way.

See here:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2002-05/12/content_389396.htm
http://allafrica.com/stories/200205270892.html
http://allafrica.com/stories/200301300126.html
http://www.csrs.ch/africa2013/pdf/060_michael_ocaido.pdf

Also, there's this photo referenced in an online forum discussing the Uganda 'blue pork syndrome' from over a year ago that looks very similar in color.

Just all seems very odd.

Great find, A Jay! My search results came back - negative - with exception to copies of the article I posted.

In the second link you provided, this quote:

"So far, there is no evidence that the 'blue pork syndrome' kills pigs but veterinarians are worried about the health of people who consume it. They are also concerned about the income that farmers lose when their pigs yield blue pork."

A little off topic, but I remember reading somewhere - that human's that are strict vegetarian, tend to have "white" fatty tissue - compare to human's that consume meat products, which is more yellowish. I wonder, if the blue coloring in the pig's fatty tissue is due to a mineral or vitamin deficiency verses heavy metal?

Thinking of Uganda's climate and dessert conditions, could there be a correlation in environmental factors with California's on going drought? Lack of water and build up of a deficiency? What about a lack of salt?

Eating "Smerf" bacon doesn't sound like a healthy option!

MusicMan said:
The animal might have been 'pigging out' on blueberries..
Just a thought.

MusicMan, did you say "Blue Beary?"

Black bear with blue head spotted in Mission, B.C. Photo/Video
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/black-bear-with-blue-head-spotted-in-mission-b-c-1.3216656

Posted: Sep 04, 2015

Nobody's quite sure why a black bear spotted in Mission, B.C. sports a blue head.

Aaron Smith was driving along Highway 7 on Tuesday when he noticed the female bear and her cub. He pulled over to take a closer look.

"It was such an odd thing — it really was that blue!" he told CBC News. He and his colleagues decided to dub the bear "Blue Beary."

He called the B.C. Conservation Service to see whether the bear might need some attention, but the service won't be sending its officers to check it out.

"The bear appears to be healthy and fine … it's foraging and with a cub," said conservation officer Paul McFadden.

"Maybe it got into a can of spray paint thinking it was food, maybe it dipped its head in a bucket of dye … it's a bear doing a bear thing," he speculated.

The bear's condition doesn't require intervention, he said, the blue fur will eventually grow out naturally.

*** This interesting reply was posted in the Comment Section:

Noble elements/gases released into the atmosphere are the clearest and most accurate method used to detect nuclear disaster across the globe that are attempted coverup.

THE occurrence of the long lived silver radionuclide 108mAg (T½>100 yr) in biota from the Pacific Ocean has been held to suggest that the silver radionuclide ratio 110mAg/108mAg may be useful as a tracer of environmental processes. It also appears that large amounts of 110mAg and 108mAg were not produced during the 1958 test series or earlier, and that the production activity ratio 110mAg/108mAg was 162, a ratio derived solely from the thermal neutron activation of stable silver. We consider that their observations require reconsideration.

Silver iodide has been in use to steer/steal rainstorms/water from california for at least the last 5 yrs. Silver iodide was bombarded from neutron flx from fukushima radiation…… this caused an acceleration and upramp in bio-accumulation in local plant and animal population. clearest proof yet of the magnification of the radiation contamination of the west coast of u.s.

Real world conclusion-neutron bombardment of silver iodide from fukushima radionuclide contamination post of reactor 3 core detonation. Physical proof of massive coverup of ele event/contamination.

Interesting find angelburst.

So the commenter is proposing that this bear is proof of a cover up of the extent of the leaks at Fukushima? Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me.

A Jay said:
Interesting find angelburst.

So the commenter is proposing that this bear is proof of a cover up of the extent of the leaks at Fukushima? Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me.

The commenter is suggesting Silver Iodide as a possible factor, due to the leaks at Fukushima. It may or may not be one of the main causative factors in the "bluing?" No one seems to want to take the initial step in an investigation, which is strange, in itself?

A Jay, when you mentioned." 'blue pork syndrome' had sprung up in Uganda - it reminded me of something I read on Fukushima.

http://www.4thmedia.org/2015/06/fukushima-daiichi-marine-ecosystem-collapse-2/

Tepco officials are admitting the technology does not exist to decommission the (3) meltdown/melt-thru nuclear reactors … maybe in 200 years the technology will be discovered Tepco’s scientists speculate …

Tepco secretly owns a lot of the sludge plants … Tepco is a huge monster … 300 companies … thousands of assets … they’re not broke by any means … they have tons of money making operations. They dredge the river because the radiation is so high they’re getting about 4000 Becquerels/Kg of sludge … it’s pretty high. Edogawa river feeds right into Tokyo Bay where all the Olympic Islands are … and the huge aquarium is right there at Rinkai Park … that beautiful park …unfortunately is highly radioactive now … and there they have one of the biggest aquariums in the world. They had a school of tuna swimming around … 65 huge Bluefin tuna, hundreds of other tuna species, albacore and so on. A week ago Japan Times AFP broke the story … there’s only one tuna left … all the rest died mysteriously. I’m afraid this 200 year business …. ….what’s coming over is not just Cesium and Strontium … those were the light weight things … they will kill you slowly … what’s coming over is Tritium … that’s the knock out punch. Obviously Tritium killed these Tuna and Plutonium. They’re finding out that nano sized particles of Plutonium float on water … it’s on the surface of the Pacific … it won’t sink.

In Franfurt I gave the first presentation on discovering three nuclear weapons sites at Fukushima … these were vast underground chambers … and the trail from these facilities led to the ocean. So basically they piled that high level Plutonium-241 … highest level Plutonium for weapons you can have … hundreds of tons of war-grade Plutonium … piled it on barges and sank the barges in the Pacific. So that’s why I’m saying … this ain’t just a bunch of Uranium with a little bit of Plutonium … we’re talking about probably as much as the Russian stockpile of Plutonium has been dumped in the ocean, it’s breaking open, and there’s no real attempt to contain it in any way. We’re in for it … we’re really in for it ..! This is why all the engineers at Fukushima are starting to breakdown, they’re starting to talk, this stuff is serious.YoichiShimatsu (www.4thmedia.org)

Uganda has high grade Uranium Mines, from which Plutonium is processed for nuclear energy. Could there be a connection? The nano particles of Plutonium, discharged and floating on water, become lodged in the fat storage of the animal? Where does the "blue" come from?

What can impart a blue colouring to an animal?

Well if copper replaces the iron in the blood cells, that would do it. e.g. Copper Sulphate is blue.
Also if carbon monoxide has poisoned it, that would also do it. Your lips turn blue with monoxide poisoning.
Another cause could be cobalt salts, some of which are blue.
And yet another cause could be a bacterial infection, some bacteria can make flesh turn blue.
Might even be a mutation in the DNA, such as the fluorescent jellyfish gene.

In any of those cases, I would not want to be eating the pork.

So it will be interesting to see what the actual cause is for the blue flesh.

I came across something called, "Blue-eared Pig disease" (PRRS), which affects the reproductive system and causes Cyanosis of the extremities.

Cyanosis - is the appearance of a blue or purple coloration of the skin or mucous membranes due to the tissues near the skin surface having low oxygen saturation.

An outbreak of blue-eared pig disease (porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome) in four pig herds in Great Britain.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1413421

Back dated - August 15, 1992

Abstract

The clinical syndrome of a new disease of pigs in four herds in the Humberside area is described. The first signs of the disease were anorexia, lethargy and pyrexia with up to 60 per cent of the dry sows affected. These signs were followed by an increased incidence of abortions which occurred in up to 3.3 per cent of sows, premature farrowings in up to 20.6 per cent of sows and stillbirths and late mummification which affected up to 26.0 and 18.8 per cent of fetuses, respectively. Mortality in neonatal and pre-weaning pigs reached up to 88 per cent and respiratory disease of high morbidity and low mortality occurred in fattening pigs. There were infertility problems in sows, with an increase in returns to service and a failure to show oestrus after weaning or aborting. The signs of the disease in boars were anorexia and malaise. Cyanosis of the extremities affected up to 2 per cent of the animals. The outbreak lasted 11 weeks in all the herds.

Ugandans Warned Against Eating Blue Pork
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2002-05/12/content_389396.htm

KAMPALA, May 12, 2002 (Xinhuanet) -- Director of Uganda's Animal
Resources William Olaho Mukhani has warned the public against eating blue pork, the Sunday Vision newspaper reported. The warning follows the emergence of a pig abnormality, which causes the pig's flesh to turn blue.

The abnormality that has not been detected anywhere outside Uganda, has been dubbed "blue pork syndrome", the report said.

Affected pigs look healthy but when slaughtered the pork is found to be blue, especially in the fatty areas and other parts that are normally white.

The blue pork was first noticed in Masaka District, southern Uganda in 1998. Last month veterinary experts in Makerere
University warned that the "blue pork syndrome" has spread to at least eight districts in the country. The eight district that have
reported it include Kampala, Mpigi, Wakiso, Mukono, Nakasongola and Lira.

He said a team of researchers would be marshaled from various organizations including Makerere University, the National
Agricultural Research Organization and some international institutions to study the "blue pork syndrome". So far, scientific efforts to establish what is causing the blue color in pork have been fruitless. Tests at the Makerere University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and a veterinary reference laboratory in Pirbright, UK, could not establish the cause of the syndrome, the report said.

Virus Spreading Alarm and Pig Disease in China
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/16/business/worldbusiness/16pigs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

CHENGDU, China, Aug. 9, 2007 — A highly infectious swine virus is sweeping China’s pig population, driving up pork prices and creating fears of a global pandemic among domesticated pigs.

But, some scientists say there is no truly effective vaccine against blue-ear pig disease (which is also known as porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome); other experts say they are not even certain that the blue-ear virus is the one that is spreading.

Scientists who track blue-ear pig disease are puzzled because the disease is generally not so deadly.

“This virus generally makes them ill but on its own it doesn’t cause a lot of deaths,” said Steven McOrist, a professor of pig medicines at the University of Nottingham in England. “The evidence they put up so far is not conclusive.”

If it is blue-ear pig disease, which has infected most parts of the world, including the United States, it may be a new and more virulent strain.

“First they refused to eat, then they got high fever,” said Zhao Yanjun, 32, who lost all but 5 of his 150 pigs. Pig farmers who did not sell watched their pigs succumb to a disease that ate away at their insides in a matter of weeks, often turning the pig’s ear blue.

Link Is Seen Between British Labs and Livestock Virus
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/world/europe/06britain.html?fta=y

LONDON, Aug. 5, 2007 — British health inspectors combed two veterinary laboratories in southern England on Sunday after it was discovered that the strain of foot-and-mouth disease at a farm four miles away was the same as the one used in the production of vaccine at the facilities.

Environment Secretary Hilary Benn said that the laboratories, which house the government’s Institute of Animal Health and a private pharmaceutical company, Merial Animal Health, were a “possible” source of the virus but that a definitive conclusion had not been reached.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said the strain of the virus found at the farm was used in a vaccine batch manufactured last month by Merial Animal Health.

The company is an arm of Merial Ltd., which is jointly owned by the American drug maker Merck & Company and the French company Sanofi-Aventis. Merial Animal Health announced that it was suspending production of the vaccine.

The environment department’s statement said, this strain is a 01 BFS67 like virus, isolated in the 1967 foot-and-mouth disease outbreak in Great Britain.”

Just speculation on my part, instead of looking at Copper Mines and Plutonium or other variables as a possible cause, could 'blue pork syndrome' and "Blue-eared Pig disease" (PRRS), possibly be a mutation via laboratories and pharmaceutical tampering of the 01 BFS67 like virus, then sent to Uganda and China as a testing ground? With it now spreading to Canada, U.K. and the U.S. in GMO feed and grains?

FWIW UC Davis just reported that the rat poison diphacinone, along with the blue dye found in the bait, was detected in the pig, as Domi had suggested earlier. It also seems reasonable to me to explain the Ugandan blue pork. The blue-eared pig disease sounds interesting, but I think the cyanosis is unrelated to this case; the tissues turn blue from the skin or mucous membranes not getting enough oxygen, so I doubt it would affect the color of the fat that extremely.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/cahfs/local-assets/pdfs/CAHFS_connection/CAHFS_Connection_Oct_2015.pdf

zlyja said:
FWIW UC Davis just reported that the rat poison diphacinone, along with the blue dye found in the bait, was detected in the pig, as Domi had suggested earlier. It also seems reasonable to me to explain the Ugandan blue pork. The blue-eared pig disease sounds interesting, but I think the cyanosis is unrelated to this case; the tissues turn blue from the skin or mucous membranes not getting enough oxygen, so I doubt it would affect the color of the fat that extremely.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/cahfs/local-assets/pdfs/CAHFS_connection/CAHFS_Connection_Oct_2015.pdf

Remarkable find, Zlyja and it was "just published" by the University of California and compliments what Domi had already suggested to be rodenticide ingestion.

And I think you're right - that the blue-eared pig disease - is something all together different?

Which brings me back to this statement:

"The blue pork was first noticed in Masaka District, southern Uganda in 1998. Last month veterinary experts in Makerere
University warned that the "blue pork syndrome" has spread to at least eight districts in the country. The eight districts that have
reported it include Kampala, Mpigi, Wakiso, Mukono, Nakasongola and Lira.

He said a team of researchers would be marshaled from various organizations including Makerere University, the National
Agricultural Research Organization and some international institutions to study the "blue pork syndrome". So far, scientific efforts to establish what is causing the blue color in pork have been fruitless. Tests at the Makerere University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and a veterinary reference laboratory in Pirbright, UK, could not establish the cause of the syndrome, the report said. "

The above study to establish the cause of the syndrome, from various organizations and institutions, seems impotent and lacking any real efforts, if you consider that the Morgan Hill, California incident with the blue pig was reported on September 15 and results of the testing by UC are published 16 days later?

Pig
Diphacinone was detected in the muscle from a feral pig that made the news due to the blue
color of its subcutaneous ssue and fasciae. Liver is the recommended ssue to test for ancoagulants.
A blue dye is incorporated into the diphacinone bait formulaons which accounts for
the blue discoloraon of the ssues of the pig. It is recommended that meat from dye colored
pigs not be consumed.

angelburst29 said:
The above study to establish the cause of the syndrome, from various organizations and institutions, seems impotent and lacking any real efforts, if you consider that the Morgan Hill, California incident with the blue pig was reported on September 15 and results of the testing by UC are published 16 days later?

I think it's hard to say what exactly happened with the Ugandan pork because there's very little information about it, at least from what I saw. There was the Xinhuanet article from 2002, and then there's one from AllAfrica (behind a paywall) that the government study ran out of funding in 2005. Who knows what tests the veterinarians did, or what the lab in the UK did? UC Davis gets lots of funding, while Uganda is full of corruption, so it's not very surprising to me that nothing would come up from there. Maybe the Ugandan pigs got into some other dye, or perhaps there was some weird infection going on. It'd be interesting to know!

Back
Top Bottom