ABOUT BRONCHITIS

ginebra

Jedi Council Member
Since Iam in the process of recovering from a long lasting bronchitis ( three months ) I would appreciate any advise about natural remedies. I have been treated with corticoids with no real improvement. The moment I started cutting down with the pills I felt worst again.

On the other hand to remark that this hard reagent bronchitis ( according to the doctors ) it is due to something toxic I breathed, and what is more, I was not the only one in my neighbourhood, indeed,several people was taken to the hospital with severe shortness of breath. I carried out some inquires in different local authorities but none had any clue about what may had happened.

What is very upseting for me is the fact that I cannot take ahead with the E:E routine as I used to.
I was advised not to force my inflamed bronchus. Here I would also ask for advice regarding the vagal stimulation. I was reading in medicine books about asthma that when you sleep at night the possibility of suffering an attak is greater due to the vegetative system takes control of the process with the consecuences of broncus stenosis., I think that some of the forum members are doctors so I would like to lern if, I do the breathin could be damagin in any way.

Hi Elisa,

The EE program can help with asthma problems, reducing even the need of asthma treatment. Although I've read that in rare cases, deep slow breathing may agitate symptoms of bronchial hyperactivity and it was suggested that it was because deep breathing which induced parasympathetic activity (the relaxing system of the autonomous nervous system) might trigger bronchial hyperactivity in asthmatics.

So it is as you read, the parasympathetic relaxing system produces airway constriction. Sounds like a paradox, but it is so, the sympathetic (stress reaction) system dilates your bronchi and the parasympathetic system constricts it. But for purposes of breathing exercises, the worsening of symptoms in asthmatic people should be rather the exception than the norm. There is more data to support that breathing exercises are of help in respiratory problems including asthmatics who have reactive bronchi.

Infections are really evil, whether a virus or a toxin that exacerbated your symptoms. If your bronchi are reactive due to toxins or other allergens, it will respond with constriction. This is probably what is bothering and not the breathing exercises per se. I think the best thing to do is to balance your immune system with an elimination diet like the one posted here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0 This will help to clear your detoxification system.

Also a good supplement to take will be N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), as it helps to clear up the bronchi and it is a powerful antioxidant and detoxifier. You might be able to get in the pharmacy as well. You can follow label instructions for the dose, or take it every time your bronchi feels reactive, preferably on a full stomach. Take also lots of vitamin C, what your tummy can handle, that will help a lot as well. It is to say as well that it might take some time until your bronchi settle down after a bronchitis, but patience pays.

As for the breathing, it is not damaging, but if at any moment you feel that it is constricting your air pathways, then you can reduce the count and/or just do the prayer with deep belly breathing without the pipe breathing until you feel better. Then you can do the whole program as you used to.

My 2 centavos.

Yes, I had Swine Flu or the other flu getting around Sydney last year and couldn't do EE. It's kinda hard counting out 9 whilst coughing.

Vitamin C and NAC was suggested which helped a lot.

I find a dollop of Eucalyptus oil in a big old bucket of steaming water and a towel over my head help too in the case of infectious bronchitis. It really gets the awful crud out of your lungs with a lot of coughing. Yours sounds like more a chemical bronchitis, so I'm not sure if this will be effective.

Thank you Psyche and Johnno for the good advises . I certanly will follow them.
Hopefully it seems that I am getting better.

Hello Elisa,

In case of an instant asthma attack you can drink a cup of black tea or green tea,better a cup black tea in good quality.I think its a good and natural first choice as oppossed to a asthma spray.It could be that you have a sneaking Hyperventilation Syndrome through your longtime bronchtis,in this case i would recommend the book by Dinah Bradley,the english title is Hyperventilation Syndrome: Breathing Pattern Disorders and How to Overcome Them,it is really a clear and simple work with good informations.Hyperventilation Syndrom is a tricky matter,in most cases its a sneaking mechanismn.A good Idea to the treatment of your infection could be Lapacho,for the lungs is Thyme another good alternative solution,but i am not sure in your case.Passion Flower is a good antispasmodic plant,maybe it could help.

Here a little bit more to Lapacho : h t t p://en.heilkraeuter.net/herbs/lapacho.htm

When you have a asthma attack its important that you come in a calming condition,relax,no force,do not force the breathing process,relax,clear your mind and breath.The exhalation is importent,inhale - exhale – a very short pause,inhale-exhale-a very short pause,its better when the exhale is longer,so: inhale (1,2,3,4), then exhale (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 yup,better the double length) and then a short pause (1,2,or 1,2,3).

Typically,many people think that asthma and breathing problems in the same direction has only to do with too little or insufficient air,but in many cases it is more a reversed condition,they have too much air and a confused breathing pattern.They make no belly breathing,more a chest breathing or a confused double breathing with belly and chest together.(i have the same problem too)

For a better understanding,another book which you can read, is the book Close Your Mouth: Buteyko Clinic Handbook for Perfect Health,its a book about the work of Dr. Konstantin Buteyko. This could explain,why the EE-Breathing is good for people with asthma or under similar conditions or why in some cases,the people have more endurance when they smoke.

Thank you EINHERI-LIMETREE I really appreaciate the good advices and the suggested
Books .

I came across info on salt therapy while surfing the web. It is based upon the recognition that people have been noted to breathe easier in salt mines and caves and while breathing sea air. Here's a short article but there is much more to be read on the web.

_http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/108/34415/salt-therapy-relieves-asthma-other-respiratory-conditions.html

Salt therapy, also known as halotherapy, is a drug-free, completely natural way to treat allergies, asthma, and other respiratory conditions. The therapeutic value of salt for respiratory conditions has been recognized by many countries, and it is a popular form of treatment especially in Britain, Eastern Europe, and Russia, and in some places in North America.

Halotherapy (“halos” means salt in Greek) is done in a controlled air environment that simulates a natural salt cave. In fact, salt therapy is also known as speleotherapy (“speleo” means cave), and for good reason: treatments have been practiced in old salt mines for centuries. Today, halotherapy recreates the conditions of the salt mines or salt caves as therapy sites.

Salt has natural healing powers, with the ability to reach bacteria and mucus in the lungs when it is inhaled. In halotherapy, salt aerosol is continuously scattered into the sterile, pure air of the cave for patients to breathe in. The salt they take in is in the form of aerosolized microparticles that have been ground in a special generator. These salt particles can penetrate deep into the lungs and the bronchi, destroying bacteria, viruses, and fungi, and absorbing mucus.

Studies show that salt therapy can be effective in treating respiratory conditions such as allergies, asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, bronchiectasis, and sinusitis. In a study of 124 patients who had various respiratory conditions, including bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, and cystic fibrosis, use of halotherapy daily for 10 to 20 days resulted in improvement in all patients. The average duration of remission was 7.6 months, and most of the patients (60%) did not need further medication after receiving halotherapy.

Snoring may also be helped by salt therapy. Inhaling the salt microparticles can help clear the airway passages and also reduce any swelling of the nasal mucosa and soft palate, which can contribute to snoring. Halotherapy can help improve sinus drainage as well, which can reduce snoring.

Salt therapy can be a highly effective treatment for people who have asthma and other respiratory conditions, but locating therapeutic salt caves can be a challenge, especially in North America. Halotherapy is available in Canada and at the present time in only one location in the United States, at the Salt Cave in Naples, Florida.

SOURCES:
Chervinskaya AV, Zilber NA. Journal of Aerosol Medicine 1995 Fall; 8(3): 221-32
Faradzheva NA. Problemy Tuberkuleza 2007; (8): 250-53
Halotherapy.com
Sokolova M et al. Voprosy Kurortologii 2007 May-Jun; (3):8-12

Portable devices called salt pipes are sold as well since not everyone has access to sea air, salt mines or halotherapy (salt or saline therapy) rooms. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Odyssey said:
I came across info on salt therapy while surfing the web. It is based upon the recognition that people have been noted to breathe easier in salt mines and caves and while breathing sea air.

I wonder if these salts are rich in magnesium. A lot of asthmatics have low magnesium levels.

Psyche said:
Odyssey said:
I came across info on salt therapy while surfing the web. It is based upon the recognition that people have been noted to breathe easier in salt mines and caves and while breathing sea air.

I wonder if these salts are rich in magnesium. A lot of asthmatics have low magnesium levels.

Most of the salt pipes I've read about contain sodium, calcium and magnesium salts as well as other trace minerals.

I wonder if dissolving some sea salt in pure water and then using it as an inhaler in a conventional spray bottle might work...

Perceval said:
I wonder if dissolving some sea salt in pure water and then using it as an inhaler in a conventional spray bottle might work...

Yeah, sounds nice, after all there are saline inhalation solutions.

Psyche said:
Odyssey said:

I find this interesting:

_http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-salt-lamp.htm

A salt lamp is simply a chunk of mined salt that has been hollowed out to allow room for a lightbulb or tiny candle. The light glows through the medium of the salt crystal, which can range in color from a dark salmon pink to a pale orange. Salt crystals for salt lamps are mined in Russia and central Europe as well as in the Himalayas. Salt lamps make attractive accent lights. Their main attraction, however, is that the heating of the salt causes the crystal to release negative ions

Maybe the crystals don't only release it (negative ions) when heated?

Oxajil said:
I find this interesting:

_http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-salt-lamp.htm

Hmm, here are a couple of testimonials from that link, a positive one and a negative one:

if i were you i would not buy this product, my geology professor explained to the class with evidence that in fact the salt lamp produces a chlorine gas which in no way is good for humans. so, i hope that those of you who read this don't buy this product. - anon17402

I have purchased a salt lamp. I suffered with asthma and felt hurdles while breathing but now after the purchasing and using the giant salt lamp from this site i really feeling well. Salt lamps purifies the air of my room. -gudda

Johnno said:
I find a dollop of Eucalyptus oil in a big old bucket of steaming water and a towel over my head help too in the case of infectious bronchitis. It really gets the awful crud out of your lungs with a lot of coughing. Yours sounds like more a chemical bronchitis, so I'm not sure if this will be effective.

Although you have mentioned it is a chemically induced bronchitis I wonder if steam inhalation might help symptoms?
When I have had respiratory infections, I have used a small steam inhaler like this one - http://www.amazon.com/Vicks-V1200-Personal-Steam-Inhaler/dp/B0000TN7MY. It certainly helps with congestion and always made me feel better. I don't buy the vicks inhaler pads, but use eucalyptus oil like Johnno mentioned.

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential-oils/eucalyptus.htm#Therapeutic%20properties
Therapeutic properties - The therapeutic properties of eucalyptus oil are analgesic, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-neuralgic, anti-rheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, astringent, balsamic, cicatrisant, decongestant, deodorant, depurative, diuretic, expectorant, febrifuge, hypoglycaemic, rubefacient, stimulant, vermifuge and vulnerary.

aleana

Here some thoughts by me ...

A possibility to test would be the idea of Johnno only with salt instead of with eucalyptus,so that someone can inhale the steams through the mouth and exhale through the nose under a towel.(not more than 15 minutes,with ethereal oils not more than 7 minutes) This goes with 1 teaspoon salt for 1 liter water as one example.Maybe its a poor solution,or only a solution for a slimy nose,but i think,its one try worth.In my personel case,if i have trouble with the lungs a take a destillate,a pure combination from a few herbs or 3 drops teatree oil or a few drops camomile.

As a child up to 13 years, i had a lot of problems with asthma attacks and later i got a asthma inhalator,and with this electronic device,you inhale a sodium chloride (NaCl) solution direct in the lungs.Another simple solution would be,take a hot-water bag (hottie),make your own liquid solution with 1 teapoon baking soda (sodium hydrogencarbonate or s. bicarbonate,NaCo3), 3 drops mint oil and 5 drops from a iodine tincture (5%) in 1 glas with hot water or boiling water,do this water with the solution in the hot-water bottle (hottie) and then inhale the steams careful with your mouth and exhale through the nose.(this is a russian self help solution from a book ) But,what makes me a little muddled is,some says this are solutions and they can help,otherwise some say that salt in a steam inhalator or salt inhaled through water steams is not suitable for good effects better a electronic nebulazier.Maybe its only a good solution for the upper airways and goes not so deep to the lungs or goes not enough to the lungs?It could be that the steam from the electric nebulazier is really more like the sea air and moisturezes better the dry and slime covered lungs.

So or so,i wouldn´t take sodium chloride,its the same as the poor cooking salt,better a good salt or a salt with good hydrogencarbonats (HCO3) like sodium hydrogencarbonate, hydrogencarbonats helps against the inflammation or alleviate the inflammation process,this why good salt like the german Emcur salt is considered as a healing salt for different afflictions(nasal douche) or wherefore some water bottles with more trace minerals and with a higher hydrogencarbonates concentration are called healing waters.Good salt (sea or stonesalt) is very nice for the adrenal glands too,it helps the adrenal glands to recover more from stress,and this helps the body in his fight with the inflammations.

Back
Top Bottom