Advice please: piercing sound in dream followed by persistent ear ringing

I get ear ringing at times and a good amount of time I have a low level static in my hearing. I was in high level noise environments for part of my working life and had also listened to very loud music, which could lend itself toward tinnitus. I get all kinds of different types and kinds ringings. The one that used to put me on edge at times is when there is a low level static sound that I'm aware of, but not worrying about it, and then it is like a frequency wave collapses and I get a ear ping.

I'd say, besides possibly getting your ears checked, to just note any instances like you did with starting this thread and try not to get worried or freaked out about it. Try to see if there is some kind of pattern and especially if there might be a more normal explanation, such as a medical reason, for what you are experiencing.

Another explanation could be the piercing sound was meant to wake you up because you were meant to get out of an unsafe environment you were visiting in the dream. This has been a repeated experience along the years where any kind of loud sound would either get me out of the dream, or make me aware within the dream itself of scenes I was involved with and the urgency to get out of these unsafe scenarios.
Interesting! Hadn’t considered this a possibility. Thank you for sharing!

This post immediately drew my attention, how interesting. I didn’t know that it was you who had posted it until I opened it. @chaps23 and I had awful nightmares one particular night this week, which was what followed us falling asleep feeling miserable. When I woke up, I remember trying to actively forget what had happened in the dream (which is unusual for me) because it felt like it was just an experience meant to torture me.
Are you still dream journaling often?
Interested to hear your thoughts. ❤️
Sounds awful @Charlie39 :( Yep, I’m still dream journaling. I sometimes go back and read them. So many end-of-times type dreams.

Well, whatever happened, dear, sounded very unpleasant. I had something similar happen years ago, but it didn't result in tinnitus. When I had covid, though, tinnitus came raging along with it. It's a constant ringing now, some days are worse than others. The inner cilia of the ears are very fragile and difficult to heal. If I make great progress with mine, I'll be sure to let you know!

From the article:

Destruction of stereocilia[edit]

Stereocilia (along with the entirety of the hair cell) in mammals can be damaged or destroyed by excessive loud noises, disease, and toxins and are not regenerable.[3][11] Environmental noise induced hearing impairment is probably the most prevalent noise health effect according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Abnormal structure/organization of a bundle of stereocilia can also cause deafness and in turn create balance problems for an individual. In other vertebrates, if the hair cell is harmed, supporting cells will divide and replace the damaged hair cells.[2]

That's a depressing section, but doesn't have to be our story.

Hopefully, much of the other great advice given in the thread can provide you with relief!

I sometimes get the thing where out of no where one of my ears starts to ring. It lasts for about 15-20 seconds and then goes away. It’s usually my left ear, but it has happened in the right one too.

But the constant low level ringing in both ears is a bit weird. Just to tick this possibility of the checklist, is there any chance you may have already had the low level ringing, but the dream has brought your attention to the fact that it’s there? (I guess that depends how low it actually is)

Do you remember anything else from the dream, like anything visual or a situation that was happening, or was it just the noise?

Also, well done on the lifestyle changes and self-improvements!
Hey @T.C. I don’t recall much about the dream - other than the sound described and a feeling I was being targeted and under attack. I appreciate these “feelings” may have been a product of paranoia/anxiety. As for the ongoing subtle ringing possibly always being there without me realising - yep, this could be the case. The awareness of it could be all that’s changed. As for the louder bouts of ear ringing, these are definitely new (sudden onset around time of the dream - also around the same time I started investing more in spiritual and physical health). Lots of possibilities it seems!

Well, whatever happened, dear, sounded very unpleasant. I had something similar happen years ago, but it didn't result in tinnitus. When I had covid, though, tinnitus came raging along with it. It's a constant ringing now, some days are worse than others. The inner cilia of the ears are very fragile and difficult to heal. If I make great progress with mine, I'll be sure to let you know!

From the article:

Destruction of stereocilia[edit]

Stereocilia (along with the entirety of the hair cell) in mammals can be damaged or destroyed by excessive loud noises, disease, and toxins and are not regenerable.[3][11] Environmental noise induced hearing impairment is probably the most prevalent noise health effect according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Abnormal structure/organization of a bundle of stereocilia can also cause deafness and in turn create balance problems for an individual. In other vertebrates, if the hair cell is harmed, supporting cells will divide and replace the damaged hair cells.[2]

That's a depressing section, but doesn't have to be our story.

Hopefully, much of the other great advice given in the thread can provide you with relief!
Thanks so much for responding and sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom