Advice Requested for Friend suffering 'gas lighting.'

ec1968

Jedi
Hi Folks

Has anyone any experience of dealing with 'gas lighting' and dealing with the consequences for the victims? (See below for a brief definition and link to further information).

I have a very good friend who has just experienced 18 months of this and it has had a devastating effect on her. I am at a total loss as to how to help her, so any advice regarding either practical things I could do for her, or reading material that might begin a healing process, would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Eúni

---------------------------------------
DEFINITION:

Gaslighting or gas-lighting[1] is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted/spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception and sanity.[2] Instances may range simply from the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents ever occurred, up to the staging of bizarre events by the abuser with the intention of disorienting the victim.

The term owes its origin to the play Gas Light and its film adaptations, after which it was coined popularly. The term has been used in clinical and research literature.[3][4]

See: __http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting for further details if needed.

Maybe your friend could keep a diary or journal to record facts as they happen. This could be a helpful reference she can use to remind her of the truth when the attacker tries to confuse her. This could also be a useful record if it is necessary to show that the attacker lies about something. (But I would be very careful about fighting a psychopath directly. That can be dangerous.)

If there are other people who witness the attacks, it would be helpful if they also make a record of what they see and hear.

If you're on the receiving end of covert aggression, you might sense in your gut some kind of victimization at play but be unable point to anything that clearly and objectively backs up your hunch. This "dirty fighting" may leave you feeling more than a little crazy.

A few years ago wrote about the emotional manipulation tactic referred to by many as "gaslighting" (" Gaslighting as a Manipulation Tactic: What It Is, Who Does It, And Why "). Public awareness about this tactic has certainly grown recently, but so has the sophistication of the disturbed and disordered characters who employ the technique as their preferred weapon of domination and control. So I think it's worth taking a more in-depth look at the various subtle ways manipulative characters use gaslighting to maintain a position of advantage over others.

Most manipulation is accomplished through what I have always labeled "covert-aggression." (More information on covert and the many other common forms of human aggression can be found in the introduction chapter of my book In Sheep's Clothing [ Amazon-US | Amazon- UK ].) "Dirty" fighters typically try to get the better of others by using tactics that effectively conceal obvious aggressive intent on their part while still successfully throwing their opponent on the defensive. The person on the receiving end of this kind of behavior senses in their gut that there's some kind of victimization at play but can not point to anything that clearly and objectively backs up their hunch. As a result, they end up feeling more than a little crazy. They might harbor feelings of anger toward the person they sense is an aggressor but also find themselves thrown into positions of anxious defensiveness, which makes them feel unjustified and unsure of themselves. If their manipulator also happens to be skilled in the art of "impression management" - displaying superficial charm and enjoying the capacity to make favorable impressions on others - those on the receiving end of their tactics are likely to feel even Friday crazier. They might say to themselves: "I've always thought there was something wrong with them but perhaps there really is something wrong with me. After all, everyone else seems to like them. "So, in a sense, almost all manipulative behavior produces a gaslighting effect to some degree.

Deliberately trying to make someone feel crazy, wrong, stupid, paranoid, etc. as a way of deceiving, degrading, taking advantage of, dominating, or controlling others is what gaslighting as a specific manipulation tactic is all about. It's not an uncommon tactic. Character disturbed persons who cheat on their spouses but want to maintain control in their relationships are particularly fond of this tactic. They use it to invite their partners to view what might be some very justifiable mistrust on their part as pure "paranoia." Hundreds of individuals have provided me examples of this, and I've also witnessed it first hand on many occasion. While getting the victim of gaslighting to feel paranoid is bad enough, many times the manipulator also has the moxie to couple the gaslighting with other tactics such as shaming, guilting, and feigning innocence / ignorance. (For more information on these tactics, see " Manipulation via Shaming and Guilt-Tripping: Using the Conscience of the Neurotic against Them "as well as my article series on manipulation tactics .) In the end, the person on the receiving end of this behavior winds up feeling not only like they might indeed be out of their mind but also like they're the worst person on earth for daring to think the kinds of things they had been suspecting about their manipulator.

I mentioned in my 2011 article that sometimes just the apparent certainty and conviction and covert-aggressor displays when engaging in their deceitful behavior can produce the gaslighting effect and guarantee the success of their manipulation. When they're confronted, they do not just deny, deny, deny - they adamantly deny. Such a tactic can be even more effective if they couple it with other tactics like feigning righteous indignation - when the manipulator acts as though they are justifiably offended that their victim would even Thursday suspect them of some dastardly behavior or intention and thereby besmirch their character. The script is simple: when you get confronted on something you know will expose you for the unsavory character you are, act offended and hurt, appear resolute, and question the sanity of your accuser. The script is not only simple, it's also generally effective.

Gaslighting does not always work; there are some personalities who, because of certain aspects of their own character, seem relatively immune to the technique. But when a manipulator senses that the gaslighting technique is indeed having some effect, there are some additional things they can do to enhance the effect. They can go on a real charm offensive to make the victim feel gaslighted even more isolated and alone with respect to the feelings and attitudes they harbor toward their abuser. They can also engage in a reality and history restructuring campaign, subtly coaching relatives and friends to remember things as happening the way they want them to be remembered and then pointing out to the person being gaslighted that they are the only person who remembers things a different way. They 'll curry favor and form alliances to make the target of the gaslighting feel even more isolated. Some professionals have offered various terms for this kind of behavior, including a currently popular label "street theater." The effect of all these behaviors is always the same: make the other person believe they have no legitimate reason to think what they sense and their heart to be true or to feel the way they feel, and you have them firmly under your influence and control.

Perhaps the biggest reason I thought it necessary to re-visit the topic of gaslighting is because of how difficult it is generally for the victims of this extreme form of manipulation, which is often perpetrated by the more seriously disordered characters, to recover fully from their ordeals . After questioning their perceptions, judgments, feelings, and even Friday, their sanity for so long and their relationship with their abusive manipulator, it's often quite difficult for them to restore a balanced sense of self. Sadly, not only have many victims written me to share this very kind of experience but also many reported being stymied in their rehabilitation when seeking help from a professional not familiar enough with such severe forms of emotional abuse and the traumatic impact it can have on a person's psyche.

Victims of prolonged or intense gaslighting often need specialized help. They do not just want reassurance they were never as "crazy" or wrong-headed about things as their manipulator made them out to be. What they want more than anything is a more objective, reliable way to fairly judge both their own character and the character of those with whom they might again forge a relationship. (That's a major reason I wrote Character Disturbance [ Amazon-US | Amazon-UK ].) They also want to trust again, and to know when and how to trust. While trust is an important issue for all of us when it comes to our intimate relationships, for the victim of extreme forms of manipulation, especially gaslighting, simply recovering the ability to trust again is a pivotal event.

Photo by craigCloutier - //flic.kr/p/6Hnrx8 Gaslighting as a Manipulation Tactic: What It Is, Who Does It, And Why
Playing the Blame Game as a Manipulation Tactic
Understanding Rationalization: Making Excuses as an Effective Manipulation Tactic
Minimization: trivializing Behavior as a Manipulation Tactic
Leveling as a Manipulation Tactic
Acting Innocent and "Playing Dumb" as Manipulation Tactics

Talk to a Therapist Live Online (about live online therapy)

Would you like personal feedback about how one of the topics in this article relates to your own life? Use secure live chat to talk directly with your choice of online counselor, therapist or psychologist specializing in one of the following areas (it’s free to get started):

Character Disturbance and Personality
Relationship Issues

NOTE: The above links represent an informed editorial recommendation of commercial services which pay this site a referral fee when those services are used. (You can also drop off a question for free at our Ask the Psychologist service.)

All clinical material on this site is peer reviewed by one or more clinical psychologists or other qualified mental health professionals. This specific article was last reviewed or updated by Dr Greg Mülhauser, Managing Editor on 26 March 2014 .

The URL of this page is:
http://counsellingresource.com/features/2014/03/25/gaslighting-revisited-a-closer-look-at-this-manipulation-tactic/
16 Responses (5 Discussion Threads) to "Gaslighting Revisited: A Closer Look at This Manipulation Tactic"

The above text I found on one of the sites that talk about this kind of manipulation.
A person that can be manipulated in this way is very low opinion of themselves, should her first restore confidence in herself, that she herself could do good for themselves.

ec1968 said:
Hi Folks

Has anyone any experience of dealing with 'gas lighting' and dealing with the consequences for the victims? (See below for a brief definition and link to further information).

I have a very good friend who has just experienced 18 months of this and it has had a devastating effect on her. I am at a total loss as to how to help her, so any advice regarding either practical things I could do for her, or reading material that might begin a healing process, would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Eúni

I have personal experience with it. Here's the simple (or not-so) advice: She needs to get out from the relationship with whomever is gaslighting her. If she is open to that choice, then you and others can help her. If she isn't, I don't know that there's any advice I can give that will help. She needs to get some trusted allies who can help her get out of the situation.

Thanks for the replys so far.

Heimdallr said:
I have personal experience with it. Here's the simple (or not-so) advice: She needs to get out from the relationship with whomever is gaslighting her. If she is open to that choice, then you and others can help her. If she isn't, I don't know that there's any advice I can give that will help. She needs to get some trusted allies who can help her get out of the situation.

Heimdallr, the relationship has been ended, and the guy has gone back to London (we live in Ireland). But the aftereffects are devastating. My friend has gone from being a confident, happy, caring woman to a paranoid wreck and I just don't know what to do to help her. One of the things her abuser did was to put tracking software on her mobile phone, so he was able to intercept all her messages and know where she was all the time. He also did it with her iPad and laptop. I bought her a new phone, but she's afraid to start using it in case he somehow manages to hack it too. She changed her cell phone number, but he found it out within 24 hours and we don't know how he did it. She has been to the police, and to Women's Aid, who have been very helpful. But I feel totally out of my depth. I suppose all I can really do is listen to her when she feels like talking but it seems too little too late.

Thanks again.

Hi ec1968,

Just listening to her when she feels like talking can help a lot. I'd keep following up with her, asking for updates on what's going. She sounds really paranoid and may be bewildered from the experience. Dealing with a pathological will do that. If she's willing, she can read Gaslight Effect by Dr. Robin Stern. I had a family member who did this and reading about it really helped me understand what was going on and how to deal with it, even the aftermath. Sandra Brown's books How to Spot A Dangerous Man and maybe Women Who Love Psychopaths might be helpful for her also.

There is also Gaslight, the movie. It's available online.

I wonder what the guy dose do for a living... I remember a girlfriend of a friend who was able to get my mobile number (no she wasn’t stalking me), she worked for a phone company, so she just had access to the information... and my sister was freaked out by a guy who new from her phone where she was, ‘I see your at home’ :O apparently there’s a site or something, that enables this type of thing... she changed some settings in her phone, disabling some option, that transmits location information, something like that... I’m not sure but I think there’s a mobile directory, so maybe ask where you got the phone, if the service provider, has a directory, and if it’s possible that a new phone number is not listed.

Your friend needs basic reassurance of safety and support, and reading material as Menrva has recommended, to make sense out of what happened, because no way a normal sane person figure it out on their own...

Though, I don’t trust some of the sites on the internet, just first impressions... one or two seem to heighten a sense of fear and victim-hood... which might make one even more paranoid, and distressed, most people are just not like that. Full Stop... though there’s a disturbing trend, involving groups, as the C’s say, ‘knowledge protects’ well it helps...

Anyway...a little belief that one will be fine, or a fake it till you make it approach, might need to be adopted in some ways, if needs be in order to function in daily life.

From my understanding, it’s helpful to view, what happens, in terms of physiological manifestations that form after traumatic event/s, that help make a big difference, that although the experience is truly abnormal, the effects are the body way of healing, normal natural process. Like Dr Gabour talking about a bear shaking off a traumatic experience, its normal, and healthy, acknowledged for what it is, and keep going... with a little patience, a person will be stronger, and wiser in the long run... there’s simply no choice in the matter. osit

Just my two cents, sorry it not more... fwiw Best Wishes

Back
Top Bottom