Akaline versus Acidity

Flux2012

Padawan Learner
Thought I post this for anyone interested.

I found some data on alkalinity and diet.

http://www.cayce.com/caycebasicdiet.htm

Edgar Cayce recommends a good balance between the acids and akaline foods.

Now, I know that a lot of foods in general grocery stores like soda are considered acidic, and having too much lowers your pH, essentially weakening your immune system.

http://www.boost-immune-system-naturally.com/alkaline-foods.html

I am guessing that some acidic foods are okay as long as they are properly balanced with akaline ones, not that acidic foods should be erased completely from one's diet.

Flux2012 said:
I am guessing that some acidic foods are okay as long as they are properly balanced with akaline ones, not that acidic foods should be erased completely from one's diet.

This is a little bit more complicated as some acid food induce alkaline reaction in the body, for example citrus fruits.

Yes I heard that some normally acidic fruits like lemons and limes do that, you would think the opposite.

To regulate your levels, I use ACV or apple cider vinegar bought at a nature food outlet. It must be natural grown organic, cold pressed for best result.

Taken from: altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Alkaline Acid Balance
Some alternative practitioners suggest apple cider vinegar as part of a diet to restore alkaline acid balance. The theory behind the alkaline diet is our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. Our diet should reflect this pH level and be slightly alkaline. All foods we eat, after being digested and metabolized, release either an acid or alkaline base (bicarbonate) into blood. The foods that people tend to overeat –- grains, meat, dairy products -- all produce acid.

Proponents of the alkaline-acid theory believe that a diet high in acid-producing foods leads to lack of energy, excessive mucous production, infections, anxiety, irritability, headache, sore throat, nasal and sinus congestion, allergic reactions and makes people prone to conditions such as arthritis and gout. Despite being an acidic solution, some proponents of apple cider vinegar believe it has an alkalizing effect on the body, which is why one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water is recommended as a daily health tonic. Although it's a popular remedy, the effectiveness of the remedy and the theory haven't been researched.

I even give some to my dog!

Don't know about you all, but seen the recent discoveries made about food&diet, if there's *any* acid/alkaline balancing diet theory out there it would be seriously flawed, osit.

I've followed so called 'macrobiologists' and their theory of the 5 elements fit for the perfect PH balance of our blood for years, and saw guys turning from brown to yellow, becoming either skeletons or inflamed because they didn't put the 'gluten factor' into the equation and more. Just take meat alone for example :)

Anyway, it seems that the real culprit would be which foods aren't really fit for our metabolism as human beings. Blood sugar levels and inflammating-foods do matter for our health for example, but the so called acid/alkaline theory hasn't produced anything beneficial as yet.

Don't know about the validity of it , but take a look at this article:

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense
Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

_http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

Have you seen advertisements for products such as coral calcium or alkaline water that are supposed to neutralize acid in your bloodstream? Taking calcium or drinking alkaline water does not affect blood acidity. Anyone who tells you that certain foods or supplements make your stomach or blood acidic does not understand nutrition.

You should not believe that it matters whether foods are acidic or alkaline, because no foods change the acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes.

All foods that leave your stomach are acidic. Then they enter your intestines where secretions from your pancreas neutralize the stomach acids. So no matter what you eat, the food in stomach is acidic and the food in the intestines is alkaline.

Dietary modification cannot change the acidity of any part of your body except your urine. Your bloodstream and organs control acidity in a very narrow range. Anything that changed acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you. Promoters of these products claim that cancer cells cannot live in an alkaline environment and that is true, but neither can any of the other cells in your body.

All chemical reactions in your body are started by chemicals called enzymes. For example, if you convert chemical A to chemical B and release energy, enzymes must start these reactions. All enzymes function in a very narrow range of acidity. (The degree of acidity or alkalinity is expressed as "pH."). If your blood changes its acidity or alkalinity for any reason, it is quickly changed back to the normal pH or these enzymes would not function and the necessary chemical reactions would not proceed in your body.

For example, when you hold your breath, carbon dioxide accumulates in your bloodstream very rapidly and your blood turns acidic, and you will become uncomfortable or even pass out. This forces you to start breathing again immediately, and the pH returns to normal. If your kidneys are damaged and cannot regulate the acidity of your bloodstream, chemical reactions stop, poisons accumulate in your bloodstream, and you can die.

Certain foods can leave end-products called ash that can make your urine acid or alkaline, but urine is the only body fluid that can have its acidity changed by food or supplements. ALKALINE-ASH FOODS include fresh fruit and raw vegetables. ACID-ASH FOODS include ALL ANIMAL PRODUCTS, whole grains, beans and other seeds. These foods can change the acidity of your urine, but that's irrelevant since your urine is contained in your bladder and does not affect the pH of any other part of your body.

When you take in more protein than your body needs, your body cannot store it, so the excess amino acids are converted to organic acids that would acidify your blood. But your blood never becomes acidic because as soon as the proteins are converted to organic acids, calcium leaves your bones to neutralize the acid and prevent any change in pH. Because of this, many scientists think that taking in too much protein may weaken bones to cause osteoporosis.

Cranberries have been shown to help prevent recurrent urinary tract infections, but not because of their acidity. They contain chemicals that prevent bacteria from sticking to urinary tract cells.

Taking calcium supplements or drinking alkaline water will not change the pH of your blood. If you hear someone say that your body is too acidic and you should use their product to make it more alkaline, you would be wise not to believe anything else the person tells you.

dantem said:
Don't know about you all, but seen the recent discoveries made about food&diet, if there's *any* acid/alkaline balancing diet theory out there it would be seriously flawed, osit.

I've followed so called 'macrobiologists' and their theory of the 5 elements fit for the perfect PH balance of our blood for years, and saw guys turning from brown to yellow, becoming either skeletons or inflamed because they didn't put the 'gluten factor' into the equation and more. Just take meat alone for example :)

Anyway, it seems that the real culprit would be which foods aren't really fit for our metabolism as human beings. Blood sugar levels and inflammating-foods do matter for our health for example, but the so called acid/alkaline theory hasn't produced anything beneficial as yet.

Don't know about the validity of it , but take a look at this article:

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense
Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

_http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

I think you're mixing thinks here. The acid/alkaline balance is only a part of what must be monitored. I think the real disinfo is to make people believe it's all about acid/alkaline and say "look it don't work".

I see several flaws in the article you've posted :
1 - The author forget to say that it's more easy for the body to restore acid balance in the blood than alkaline balance.
2 - The article is short view reasoning. Sure the body know how to balance the PH but if you eat too acid or too alkaline for years, the body need to permanently compensate and you exhaust it.
3 - The article explain that our stomach is so acid that no food change the acidity of our body and, at the same time, that it change the PH of our urine. So food induce a reaction in the body or no ?

I think there a big difference between long term diet balance and short term expedients which the article is mainly about.

Last but no least, if the acid/alkaline balance in diet make no sens, we can throw Cayce readings as he is constantly emphasizing on it.

[Edit]
An excerpt that show thinks are not so simple we tend to think of food reactions in the body :
657-1
(Q) Is grape fruit alkali?
(A) Grapefruit is in its reaction alkali, unless starches are taken at the same meal.

Ellipse said:
I think you're mixing thinks here. The acid/alkaline balance is only a part of what must be monitored. I think the real disinfo is to make people believe it's all about acid/alkaline and say "look it don't work".

Mhh... thanks Ellipse, there's really food for thought here. I just can't see how to put meat diet into the equation here. Has Dr. Peter Osborne written anything about it perhaps? Did a search on it but found nothing specific.

1 - The author forget to say that it's more easy for the body to restore acid balance in the blood than alkaline balance.
2 - The article is short view reasoning. Sure the body know how to balance the PH but if you eat too acid or too alkaline for years, the body need to permanently compensate and you exhaust it.
3 - The article explain that our stomach is so acid that no food change the acidity of our body and, at the same time, that it change the PH of our urine. So food induce a reaction in the body or no ?

I think there a big difference between long term diet balance and short term expedients which the article is mainly about.

I agree that this is indeed a short article, not really a big deal here. Question is, how we can know anything about the alkaline levels in our blood if the only tests till now have been depleting foods and wrong diets for millennia?

I'm going a bit :nuts: when I try to sort this out, lol!

dantem said:
Question is, how we can know anything about the alkaline levels in our blood if the only tests till now have been depleting foods and wrong diets for millennia?

I'm going a bit :nuts: when I try to sort this out, lol!

I agree, we lake of knowledge. I think, the important thing to consider is 'balance'. I think it' s simply easy to eat exclusively acid food, i.e. not vegetables and no fruits, only pizza and junk food so the body can't manage to restore the equilibrium in the body. So come the food industry, "oh we have the solution, we have made alkaline water, buy it !".

Ellipse said:

I've been to that site quackwatch.com too. I've heard it's just bad science that is supported by drug companies to bash alternative medicine so they can sell more drugs.

Here is a sample of what Cayce about Alkaline/Acidity. The reading was asked by someone who had a cold.

902-1
First: A body is more susceptible to cold with an excess of acidity OR alkalinity, but MORE susceptible in case of excess acidity. For, an alkalizing effect is destructive to the cold germ.
When there has been at any time an extra depletion of the vital energies of the body, it produces the tendency for an excess acidity - and it may be throughout any portion of the body.

Question....when you work out, your muscles produce lactic acid. Does THIS acid have any sort of effect on the pH of the body?

dantem said:
this is my understanding as well.
as for the lactic acid - flux2012 you shouldn't worry about this.
as long as you feed it the right stuff your body will take care of itself.

Has anyone read up on the work of Dr. Robert Young? He's perhaps one of the foremost experts on the importance of Alkalinity.

In his books, he emphasizes a 80/20 balance of Alkaline-to-Acidic foods (A healthy diet should consist of 75-80% alkaline foods and 20-25% acidic foods; which means it generally takes 20 parts alkalinity to balance 1 part acid) in reference to the Ph Ash Chart ("Ash" being the reside left by your body when metabolizing certain food; which is why lemon is acidic by itself, but alkalizing to the body). If, however, you are extremely ill and need to detox, it's best to go 100% Alkaline until an ideal Ph is reached.

Here is a great information packed lecture by Dr. Robert Young: (a must watch!)
Part 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZhaGOiknQQ0
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2xc1n4Ak4&feature=related
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCRoCZVvRgk&feature=related
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy2dpquLTJA&feature=related
Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-GC3XyAfo&feature=related
Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CTviPn4BvE&feature=related
Part 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afa0_y3GUFE&feature=related

In this video lecture, he covers many things including:
- What makes things acidic & what this does to our bodies (food, drink, and smoking)
- The holistic importance of keeping our diet primarily alkaline
- Why just about all diseases and ailments are preventable (if not curable) :jawdrop:
- Why being over-weight is actually just being over-acidic
- Why digestion is both an acidic AND alkalizing process
- And much more...

Here's his website where he sells his books, supplements and has testimonials.
_www.phmiracleliving.com

I know of some people (friends of a friend who introduced me to this) who have cured themselves of cancer, diabetes, and multiple sclerosis just by going on the alkaline diet and exercizing. I'm still researching this, but "the proof is in the pudding" and it looks very promising thus far.

Here's another interesting video...
Dr Tullio Simoncini explains how he cures cancer with just Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1uC3ZNwTxI&NR=1

This may be stepping on the toes of people here who love meat and cigarettes (not excluding myself :cool2:), but in the interests of health and truth, it's definitely worth checking out. It'd be nice to hear some unbiased opinions, after watching these videos, from some medical professionals here who aren't attached to the "mainstream" medical solutions. On that note, I know Psyche posted some things on the benefits of sodium bicarbonate in curing cancer and treating certain sicknesses. ( http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15377.msg125756#msg125756 )

The other thing that I find interesting in the "alkaline debate" is its relation to the vegetarian hypothesis. A high protein diet (rich in meats) is considered to be too acidic for the body and thus, it is discouraged. It is believed that if you are acidic, then you can have osteoporosis as the bone minerals goes to the rescue to counteract acidity. Meats are related to cancer because they are acidic, and so forth. Yet, people with primal diets rich in meats have also strong and healthy bones and our ancestors who ate meats were also healthy. Meats were grass fed and they were less toxic for one. People sensitive to lectins often do better on a low carb diet, rich in meats. It seems that there are several factors that go missing if one merely focuses on terms of acidity or alkalinity.

Psyche said:
The other thing that I find interesting in the "alkaline debate" is its relation to the vegetarian hypothesis. A high protein diet (rich in meats) is considered to be too acidic for the body and thus, it is discouraged. It is believed that if you are acidic, then you can have osteoporosis as the bone minerals goes to the rescue to counteract acidity. Meats are related to cancer because they are acidic, and so forth. Yet, people with primal diets rich in meats have also strong and healthy bones and our ancestors who ate meats were also healthy. Meats were grass fed and they were less toxic for one. People sensitive to lectins often do better on a low carb diet, rich in meats. It seems that there are several factors that go missing if one merely focuses on terms of acidity or alkalinity.

The more I read on separate 'sources for disease', the more I value Laura's work, which collates the disparate data into a whole that shows where one data set is isolated from the others, so that that PTB can control information.

In essence: Its never one cause, but a cascade of them that are engineered to suppress real knowledge. I think it would be a great idea/project to learn the research methods Laura uses to do this, so that many of us can keep that signal going, osit.

Back
Top Bottom