Almond Cookies

Beorn

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Being the cookie monster that I am I found this almond cookie recipe the other day and thought I would share it here. These are really easy to make and should only take a few mins.

Needed:

200g Almond Meal
Handful of almond slivers
2 Tablespoons of Ghee
2 Egg whites (you could try egg replacer if you are avoiding eggs)
2 Tablespoons xylitol

Put the Almond Meal, almond slivers and xylitol in a bowl.
Melt down the butter and mix in with dry ingredients.
Add egg whites.

On a greased tray place small scoops of the cookie dough(according to your desired size) and flatten with a fork.

I can't tell you what temperature to bake at as my oven has all the numbers rubbed off. I would say use a hot oven and wait till the edges of the cookies start to turn brown. I use my nose to tell me when they are ready.

Enjoy!

Sounds delicious. Too bad I am unable to eat eggs or almonds! But for those who can, YUM!

Thanks for the recipe JC. I have a few pounds of slivered almonds, and was just looking for something to make with them!

I have never used xylitol. Is it possible to just substitute sugar here? And how much?

Looking for a conversion, I googled xylitol and found this link saying xylitol is toxic to dogs!
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/qt/xylitol_tox.htm

LissyLou said:
Thanks for the recipe JC. I have a few pounds of slivered almonds, and was just looking for something to make with them!

I have never used xylitol. Is it possible to just substitute sugar here? And how much?

Looking for a conversion, I googled xylitol and found this link saying xylitol is toxic to dogs!
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/qt/xylitol_tox.htm

Yes, it is, and we have let people know this in quite a few places here. But it never hurts to let others see it again. ;)

That being said, sugar is very inflammatory. That's why those of us who are trying to be healthier are not using it. Even those who don't feel bad now can end up with health issues later in life if they don't take care of what they are eating/drinking now.

If you have pets and you want to eat healthier, you will want to be very careful to not feed anything you use xylitol in, or use stevia instead. However, as always, the choice is up to you which way you want to go. :)

Nienna Eluch said:
If you have pets and you want to eat healthier, you will want to be very careful to not feed anything you use xylitol in, or use stevia instead. However, as always, the choice is up to you which way you want to go. :)

Stevia is my choice and i really like it. :thup: :clap:

And i do not have to worry for my litlle Capucine

I didn't know xylitol was toxic to dogs, not that I have any pets but it's good to know.

LissyLou you can substitute for sugar but as Nienna Eluch said we're trying to cut it out. It does make it a lilttle hard to find food to eat that's why I'm trying to cook stuff myself now.

Yes, sugar is VERY inflammatory! I can feel it within an hour of eating anything sweetened with sugar, or eating more than a teaspoon of jelly with no sugar (sweetened with grape juice) or even maple syrup or honey. Doesn't matter what form it is, we didn't evolve to be able to handle sugar/sweets.

On the other hand, xylitol is actually good for you. So, the choice is pretty simple for me: sugar=pain, xylitol manages my sweet cravings (which may go away someday) without hurting me.

And just because you don't feel pain from eating something inflammatory doesn't mean it isn't doing damage. Inflammation can simmer in your body in all kinds of ways like damaging your heart, blood vessels, leading to heart attack or stroke, and many other ways that are "invisible" until they strike. So, you don't want to mess around with inflammatory foods and toxins.

I am convinced.....starting today, I will begin to eliminate sugar from my diet. I am going to the store to buy stevia. My mom actually gave me a few packets of stevia, which I used in herbal tea. I thought it tasted odd and put my usual spoonful of sugar in the next cup.

No honey, no maple syrup....say it ain't so bad! :(

Based on the stiffness I've felt in my joints lately, it is a long overdue change. Thank you Laura for driving this point home for me, and BTW, Happy Birthday! My heartfelt thanks for all you share.

LissyLou said:
I am convinced.....starting today, I will begin to eliminate sugar from my diet. I am going to the store to buy stevia. My mom actually gave me a few packets of stevia, which I used in herbal tea. I thought it tasted odd and put my usual spoonful of sugar in the next cup.

No honey, no maple syrup....say it ain't so bad! :(

Based on the stiffness I've felt in my joints lately, it is a long overdue change. Thank you Laura for driving this point home for me, and BTW, Happy Birthday! My heartfelt thanks for all you share.

And if you want more info about sugar, have a look at that article posted by Vulcan59.

Vulcan59 said:
Hi abstract,

Check out this article called Sugar:The Sweet Thief of Life. Lot's of useful information. :)

Thanks for the link Gandalf...now I'm not only convinced, but have some data to further drive home the evils of sugar! That should help to make it easier to eliminate and thank god, I've never been a soda pop drinker! :cool2:

Thanks for the recipe JP. I've tried them yesterday and they came out delicious.

One suggestion I'll try to add shredded coconut next time and see what that does.

I made it too yesterday, and it was very good!

One thing about xylitol is that in large quantities it irritates digestive system, giving gas and stomach cramps. Because of that, it doesn't work so well for many recipes that call for a lot of sugar, like very sweet cakes. It's best used as a sugar substitute in recipes that require little sugar, like 2-3 Tbs per batch. These cookies are perfect for that, just a tad of sweetness is all they need.

Yeah I've noticed the gastric properties of xylitol. It's not too much of a hindrance, just overdoing it would lead to extended bathroom visits. I'm assuming that y'all tolerate almonds and/or nuts? I haven't been eating them for a few months, but this recipe sounds good and I like cookies. I tried to make buckwheat cookies once, but it was so sticky that it was hard to roll into balls. Maybe putting it into a plastic bag and squeezing it through a hole would work.

I've tried them today, and they came out very good! Kids loved it (more my daughter than my son, who's not very much into sweet food anyway… apart from chocolate).
It's also very easy and quick to do.

Back
Top Bottom