Amazing seed germination results

I read about and recently decided to try the hydrogen peroxide soak for my seeds and the results are just amazing. I put the seeds in ice cube trays and labeled them. I filled each cell 1/2 way with water and put 1/2 a dropper full of H2O2 in each and let them soak overnight. the results; hollyhocks, which list a germ. time of 10 to 15 days were up in less than 48 hours totally did not expect that. okra, minnesota midget cantaloupe, sumpter pickling cukes, brussels sprouts, and triple treat pumpkin were up in 72 hours. gourds, heirloom tomatoes, lemon cukes, and broccoli were all mostly up in 3 to 5 days, with just a few laggers. all of these seeds are from 2 to 5 years old. I have another bunch of herbs, flowers, and veggies soaking and will plant tomorrow. I was very careful about planting depths and this was also the first time I ever planted seeds with tweezers. I wish I had soaked the peas, carrots, radishes, and beets I put in the ground 2 weeks ago. my succession plantings will be soaked from now on. gardeners...you have to try this! so very simple and I am thrilled with the results

editing to add: I soaked the seeds overnight and then planted them in a soilless seed starting mix in 6 pack flats in a south facing windowsill which is where they are sprouting. :)

Very useful tip. Thank you for posting it! I purchased an all natural organic plant food which is supposed to rejuvenate plants and expedite healthy growth of seeds once they are planted and I haven't noticed AI difference. Next year I'll save my money!

Thanks for sharing. i think i will try this. although i likely have some time as we are expected to get 6-10 cms of snow today here in Alberta

I tried that method and can confirm that H2O2 works!. I soaked corn kernels, sunflower seeds and various beans for 12-18 hours in a weak solution of it.
The sunflower seeds had the tiny shoots peeking from under the shell when I took them out of solution. Beans sprouted little green shoots after 5 days in the ground..

SlavaOn

I think it's an interesting result but personally I wouldn't like to use it. It sounds like force growing the seeds.

It reminds me of the development of raising broiler chickens for consumption. In the 1920s the chickens were slaughtered after 112 days, weighing 2.2 pounds Today the chickens take only 47 days to reach 5.9 pounds.

The yield is much higher but the quality is much lower. In the same way, my hypothesis would be that speeding up the growth process makes it more difficult to extract the right nutrients an minerals from the soil.

Just my two cents :)

Back
Top Bottom