Amor Fati: The Immense Power of Learning To Love Your Fate

987baz

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I found this blog post/article quite interesting with regards to accepting the world for what it is.
It's a Stoic blog which I happened to come across on FB, and which I think seems to be co-linear with our way of thinking, not to mention helpful in reminding us "to have faith"

A few quotes below from the it.

As Friedrich Nietzsche describes it:

“My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it… but love it.”

“Through Nietzsche, I discovered amor fati. I just fell in love with the concept because the power that you can have in life of accepting your fate is so immense that it’s almost hard to fathom. You feel that everything happens for a purpose, and that it is up to you to make this purpose something positive and active.”

We can choose Amor Fati, to love our fate by first taking control over our perceptions, and then by turning our new paradigm into action. Holiday writes, “Once you see the world as it is, for what it is, you must act.”

Actions indicate priorities.

No matter what, we always have a choice in perception and action.

We haven’t been raised this way, however. We’re told to listen to others, follow the path, stay in our seats and be quiet. It’s no wonder that we look to others for direction and hope when we find ourselves victims of a terrible fate.

When really, it is we who must make the choice to take action.

Will is the ability to choose our perception and take what action we can even when the odds seem insurmountable

I found this blog post/article quite interesting with regards to accepting the world for what it is.
It's a Stoic blog which I happened to come across on FB, and which I think seems to be co-linear with our way of thinking, not to mention helpful in reminding us "to have faith"

A few quotes below from the it.
Thank you! Very interesting blog.

For long time I was puzzled with meaning of Free Will. Information and experience that we're in prison was hard for me. And for long time I was depressed with this fact. What can I do about it? Can I live like some people, accepting that I couldn't do nothing about it. But I had and have this urge in me, pressure that I must do something. But how.

Reading through the Wave I found many pieces of puzzle that helped me very much. Laura is such a good writer and great collector of puzzles and engineer that put each of them in the right place.

First revelation was that free will means we choose how to react on situation. That's really is a choice. And I must admit is fun. To be that aware that you can step from situation a little and see those choices. Also, see that's drama and you're actor in it. That was another revelation.

But, in the times when I'm low on energy and that's is often in my life, I forgot all about it. And I "fall" again in the same trap, reacting in negative way. Before, I was angry with my self because of my reactions but now I more gentle toward my self. I realized that things moving in me, slow pace but like I'm faster in understanding above and react differently. Like a practicing playing a instrument. My instrument.

And then, in chapter: The Wave Chapter 41: The Realm of Archetypes Laura writes about tree and branches of our choices which I found fascinating because this, IMO, gives weight on Free Will.

And the same is true for all our many relationships. Each and every encounter with a petty tyrant will ultimately bring us to a point of eclipsing of realities wherein we can make choices. There are any number of futures, but they are ghost futures; potential futures; you can build up your energy and choose which branch grows. But only at those points where you have done a certain amount of work that “seeds” the new branch. And when it is ready, it will let you know.
This certainly explains how is important that we choose and that we have this opportunity to choose. What else one need?

But, in the times when I'm low on energy and that's is often in my life, I forgot all about it. And I "fall" again in the same trap, reacting in negative way. Before, I was angry with my self because of my reactions but now I more gentle toward my self. I realized that things moving in me, slow pace but like I'm faster in understanding above and react differently. Like a practicing playing a instrument. My instrument.

I agree very much with this, it's so much easier when things are going well and much harder to have faith and accept things when we are low (for whatever reason). But like you say I am playing my own instrument, as are we all, and how well we can play that instrument depends on a few things, most of which are about our perception and understanding of ourselves and the universe we inhabit. Not to mention that we are at, to some extent, the mercy of the universe, it's how we react and deal with what happens to us that can help us grow stronger and gain a greater understanding of ourselves and our place within it.

I think that's why this little article struck a chord with me, to learn to love our fate as it were, to greet each setback (as we see it) with a smile, it's like, oh ok universe, that was a curve ball, haha thanks for that! it takes the sting out of it, it helps relieve the self importance, the why me that we as humans tend to go through no matter how enlightened, and maybe, if we get good at it, to be grateful for everything that happens, because we can see them as lessons and that we are not the victim but the beneficiary of new knowledge and experience.

This certainly explains how is important that we choose and that we have this opportunity to choose. What else one need?
I think there is no one size fits all answer to this question. While I have my own work to do that could be hard for me on certain aspects, you may be a natural to some of those things and better focus on some other aspect.
The clues you have accumulated so far seem to work for you, I made a small list that I carry in my phone of the things that seem to work for me.

It may seem it's a little off topic but to me it all ties in together, and it has to do with getting 'the pink cloud' or the 'state of grace' back from where the decisions seem 100 times more obvious and enjoyable.

I'm trying to remember how Gurdjieff calls it, this state that comes by accident for most people, I experienced this state for like 2 months and trying to get it back since, sometimes getting glimpses of it.
I think it has to do with getting the machine to work as it should emotional,mental,physical where there is often parts working against each other instead of working together.

To me to be able to choose the 'right' path is a cumulation of things such as:

-Acceptation
-Conscious suffering
-Empathy/Compassion towards myself
-Mental focus (Deliberate,strong lazer focus)
-Gratitude
-Diet
-Networking
-Sun bath
-Knowledge
-Meditation
-EE

The prayers are a good exercice for getting the mind back on track, remembering your options and where you probably already have made choices on where you want to go.

While a compiled this list over time, I seldom put them into practice, my body seems to be in permanent freeze state since a couple of months and I have great difficulty getting the machine to move, it is screaming for staying in place, but that is another story.

Thanks for that article, a great reminder that I'm chasing my tail trying to make things happen instead of working with what is in front of me.

Thanks for that article, a great reminder that I'm chasing my tail trying to make things happen instead of working with what is in front of me.
I had the same reaction to the article, it seems that I like to be in control of everything I can, instead of letting the universe, a higher power, DCM what ever, do its thing and doing the best I can with what is presented to me. It's like the old serenity prayer: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can. Focus on what we can change and how we react to the things we can't and love the those opportunities, or at least be grateful for them. Like everything in the work, it takes time, patience, understanding and will to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom