An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

JEEP

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This has already been noted on Natural News, but maybe Sott may want to put it out as well:

You are not a moral leader. But I will tell you what you are.

Jason D. Hill is professor of philosophy at DePaul University in Chicago, and a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the David Horowitz Freedom Center.

This has already been noted on Natural News, but maybe Sott may want to put it out as well:

You are not a moral leader. But I will tell you what you are.

Jason D. Hill is professor of philosophy at DePaul University in Chicago, and a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the David Horowitz Freedom Center.

It's an answer worth reading, but Hill has his own blind spots. He was doing pretty well until I got to this:

The logical endpoint of your ecological vision would see us living in primeval conditions eking out an existence in jungle swamps in which we would regard poisonous snakes and man-eating tigers as our moral equals. We would have to adapt ourselves to nature rather than adapt nature to meet our needs, like all members of civilized civilizations do. Your vision would see us foraging for mushrooms and plants without knowing which were inimical to our digestive systems. Under your system we would swelter from heat, die from rampant plagues and starvation because there will be no air-conditioning units, no sophisticated plumbing and irrigations and sewer systems, no anti-bacterial soap made from animal matter, no pesticides and chemicals to sanitize our food and drinking supplies: just one primordial swamp of human putrefaction.

What's wrong with adapting ourselves to nature? There are ways and ways to make use of nature's gifts without rampant destruction. Permaculture/restorative farming a la Joe Salatin and properly managed grazing has proven that. It's not an all or nothing proposition as he black-and-white declares here

If civilization is left in the hands of your ecofascist supporters we will be living in grass huts, drinking animal feces infested water, and shrinking in fear from polar bears instead of killing them for food when they attack us.

Greta, living in complete harmony with nature is the death of creativity. Understand this. All great civilizations were forged in the crucibles of proper exploitation of the earth. Those who lived on land with oil and did nothing with it never had a right to it in the first place. Non-usage of God’s resources is the cardinal sin because it results in the un-development of our human capabilities, and makes us indistinguishable from beasts.

That is the rallying cry of every colonialist that every was, justifying stealing [insert resource here], right down to Israel today. "The Palestinians lived in a wasteland desert. We made it bloom!"

It's an answer worth reading, but Hill has his own blind spots.
I couldn't agree more. It was like Barr's Notre Dame speech - a lot of good points, but there were parts that I didn't agree with at all.

I must admit that I didn't get oil. Despite the contention that there's a limited amount - and peak oil is actually being touted again - we know that the earth produces an unlimited amount. And yet, it seems like it's one of the most polluting natural substances ever. What exactly is its purpose - is it just supposed to stay beneath the surface so that it doesn't cause environmental degradation? Turns out, it has quite the history - from wiki:
More than 4000 years ago, according to Herodotus and Diodorus Siculus, asphalt was used in the construction of the walls and towers of Babylon; there were oil pits near Ardericca (near Babylon), and a pitch spring on Zacynthus.[10] Great quantities of it were found on the banks of the river Issus, one of the tributaries of the Euphrates. Ancient Persian tablets indicate the medicinal and lighting uses of petroleum in the upper levels of their society.

The use of petroleum in ancient China dates back to more than 2000 years ago. In I Ching, one of the earliest Chinese writings cites that oil in its raw state, without refining, was first discovered, extracted, and used in China in the first century BCE. In addition, the Chinese were the first to record the use of petroleum as fuel as early as the fourth century BCE.[11][12][13] By 347 AD, oil was produced from bamboo-drilled wells in China.[14][15]

Crude oil was often distilled by Persian chemists, with clear descriptions given in Arabic handbooks such as those of Muhammad ibn Zakarīya Rāzi (Rhazes).[16] The streets of Baghdad were paved with tar, derived from petroleum that became accessible from natural fields in the region. In the 9th century, oil fields were exploited in the area around modern Baku, Azerbaijan. These fields were described by the Arab geographer Abu al-Hasan 'Alī al-Mas'ūdī in the 10th century, and by Marco Polo in the 13th century, who described the output of those wells as hundreds of shiploads.[17] Arab and Persian chemists also distilled crude oil in order to produce flammable products for military purposes. Through Islamic Spain, distillation became available in Western Europe by the 12th century.[18] It has also been present in Romania since the 13th century, being recorded as păcură.[19]

Early British explorers to Myanmar documented a flourishing oil extraction industry based in Yenangyaung that, in 1795, had hundreds of hand-dug wells under production.[20]

Pechelbronn (Pitch fountain) is said to be the first European site where petroleum has been explored and used. The still active Erdpechquelle, a spring where petroleum appears mixed with water has been used since 1498, notably for medical purposes. Oil sands have been mined since the 18th century.[21]

In Wietze in lower Saxony, natural asphalt/bitumen has been explored since the 18th century.[22] Both in Pechelbronn as in Wietze, the coal industry dominated the petroleum technologies.[23]

Oil, then, has been used by humans since ancient times and it's use has only accelerated with the decades.

I think it's fair to say, non-polluting energy exists, but has been suppressed and made unavailable in order to keep the peons under the controllers' thumbs and for global economic control - especially for the dollar. And John D. Rockefeller ensured that automobiles could only run using that toxic by-product of petroleum production, gasoline. Having a reliable car and money for gas are essential if one is to survive in today's modern world - unless you're Amish or similar.

So, Greta's position is quite extreme, but so is the professor's. Certainly a diatribe to spur some spirited discussion!
That is the rallying cry of every colonialist that every was, justifying stealing [insert resource here], right down to Israel today.
Yeah - and guess who's occupying Syria's oil fields as we speak . . .

Back
Top Bottom