Arizona Burns

Jakesully said:
Grapes of Wrath indeed. I think this just highlights how bad the economy has gotten; almost as bad or worse than the Great Depression. I wonder what the reason is that people are leaving California. Mismanagement by politicians? Housing crash? A combination of the two? California has quite a lot of retirees, as I understand it, so maybe a lot of these retirees are moving elsewhere?

Hah! That's what we called it after the big 1971 earthquake, when all of the Tulsa musicians in LA headed back to Tulsa, tails tucked... reverse Grapes of Wrath. :O

I am likely counted as a CA to OK transplant in the US statistics. My US mailing address is now in Tulsa, although I am retired in in Europe. All of my tax docs and other government communications go there. I sure am glad that I got out of CA when I did. Some of my decision to leave was influenced by these old C's sessions discussed in this thread. Thank you Cs! You were spot on and gave me ample time to chart a favorable course before things got dicey.

Crumble could have more than one meaning with regard to CA. During the last El Nino, many of the hilltops, which were geologically unsound for load bearing but developed for residential nonetheless because of their panoramic ocean views, crumbled, taking their top dollar houses with them. Weeks of torrential rains soften the sandy clay and they just slide down the hill, houses or not. It was a real mess. Hillsides weakened, but still standing, continued to give way for a few years after that El Nino.

Also the mention of the Capistrano fault below could be of significance:

More California seismic activity after 1st of
year: San Diego, San Bernardino, North Bakersfield,
Barstow: all are fracture points. Hollister, Palo Alto,
Imperial, Ukiah, Eureka, Point Mendocino, Monterrey,
Offshore San Luis Obispo, Capistrano, Carmel: these are all
stress points of fracture in sequence. "Time" is indefinite.
gradual destruction of California economy as people
begin mass exodus.

San Juan Capistrano is just a couple of miles from the San Onofre nuclear plant, which is built right on the beach and sits almost atop this small fault line, which is I believe an extension of the Newport fault line. In the north, the Diablo Canyon nuke plant is astride the San Andreas fault, also on the beach. "Expect gradual destruction of California economy as people begin mass exodus." "Mass exodus" could be triggered by a Fukushima-type event in either or both locations, the stinko economy notwithstanding.

About Diablo Canyon, wiki says this:
Diablo Canyon Power Plant is an electricity-generating nuclear power plant at Avila Beach in San Luis Obispo County, California

"Hits" in the making?

Back
Top Bottom