Arky Chu Gong: Chateau morning exercise regime

Thank you soo much for sharing Arky Chu gong exercise!
I did BBS experiment for 4-5 month, while I did get some results doing the workout, mostly I failed in it. It was too difficult to push myself to the point of muscle failure, especially in the environment where everyone else was doing fast reps in the gym. Also, I was getting bored with the exercise..

Thank god, its time to switch to the morning exercise, it looks more fun and challenging! :-D

Someone mentioned Trauma Release exercises presented in this video:
Can't find the post but anyway, it's been twice that I decided to give it a go right after HIT. This 'generic stress release' really is something.
It makes you shake like crazy for a few minutes, and then it stops naturally. It's a good way to combine the two since you already are muscularly exhausted right after a session.
Last time I had HIT then cold all-along shower and TRE. the sensation right after was close to having a sauna.

I mentioned it here:

In regards to the above - it was this part in particular where I thought that tremoring might help with a faster recovery from HIIT exercise sessions:-

From a review of literature:

In the early 1900's Dr. John Harvey Kellogg was among the noted pioneers of mechanical vibration with the introduction of the vibrating chair, platform, and bar (Shwarz, 2006). These machines were the forerunners of the current multimillion-dollar industry of vibrating back, foot and neck massagers. The first description of the functioning or the rhythmic neuromuscular stimulations (RNS) method (the technique that today's vibration methodology is based on) dates back to 1960 when Professor W. Biermann, from the former East German Republic, described so-called "cyclical vibrations" as being capable of improving the condition of the joints (by stretching muscles and tendons) relatively quickly (Cardinale & Bosco, 2003).

Russian scientist Vladimir Nazorov utilised the first serious application of vibration on human muscles in the 1970's. He used vibrational stimulation on gymnasts in training for Olympic gold (Isurin & Tenenbaum, 1999). This process was called vibrational therapy. It was performed by having athletes stand on platforms or use machines that produced vibration. Numerous studies demonstrated that low-amplitude and low-frequency mechanical stimulation of the neuromuscular system had positive effects on athletic performance (Carindale & Bosco, 2003; Torvinen et. al., 1999). For many years, it was primarily used by elite athletes to help increase the strength and coordination of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems, as well as to increase the rate at which athletic injuries heal (Bosco et al., 1999).

I just came across this article and thought it may of interest to those who've been looking into the science of workouts. What it seems to be saying is that during strength training, endurance muscle fibres are reduced, and vice versa.

Strength training might come at the expense of endurance muscles

University of Basel
Thu, 25 Jul 2019 12:00 UTC

neuromuscular
© University of Basel, Biozentrum

The neuromuscular junction (NMJ): innervation of the acetycholine receptors (green) on the muscle fiber by the motor neuron (red).

The neurotransmitter brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) acts in the muscle, so that during strength training endurance muscle fiber number is decreased. Researchers at the University of Basel's Biozentrum have more closely investigated this factor, from the group of myokines, and demonstrated that it is produced by the muscle and acts on both muscles and synapses. The results published in PNAS also provide new insights into age-related muscle atrophy.

Fitness clubs are booming: New gyms are springing up like mushrooms. More and more people are striving to build up and strengthen their muscles. But what exactly happens in the muscle during training? In their recent work, Prof. Christoph Handschin's research group at the Biozentrum, University of Basel, has more closely studied strength muscles and the myokine brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which plays an important role in the formation of strength muscle fibers.

Handschin's team has demonstrated that this factor is produced by the muscle itself and remodels the neuromuscular synapses, the neuronal junctions between the motor neurons and muscle. BDNF not only causes the strength muscles to develop, but at the same time leads to endurance muscle fiber number decline.

BDNF acts on muscles and synapses

Generally, it is differentiated between two types of muscle, depending on the type of fibers they are made of: There are the slow-twitch fibers for endurance muscles, which are formed mainly during endurance sports. Marathon runners primarily exercise this type of muscle. A great deal less well studied is the second form of muscle consisting of fast-twitch fibers. These strength muscles gain in volume during strength training and provide particularly great muscular power.

Christoph Handschin's team has now studied the hormone-like neurotransmitter from the myokine family in the mouse model. Myokines are released by the muscle during contraction. "It is interesting that BDNF is produced by the muscle itself and not only exerts an influence on the muscle. At the same time, it affects the neuromuscular synapses, which are the junctions between the motor neurons and muscle," explains Handschin.

BDNF converts endurance muscles into strength muscles

This remodeling of the neuromuscular synapses during strength training results in the body developing more strength muscle fibers. "However, strength muscle growth occurs at the expense of the endurance fibers. More precisely, through the release of BDNF, the endurance muscles are transformed into strength muscles", clarifies Handschin. This makes BDNF a factor proven to be produced by the muscle itself and to influence the type of muscle fibers formed.

Relevance to muscle training and age-related muscle atrophy

The new knowledge gained about the myokine BDNF also provides a possible explanation for the decrease in endurance musculature seen as a result of strength training. This correlation is already being taken into account in the training plan for high performance sports. Particularly in sporting disciplines such as rowing, which are geared towards strength and endurance, the muscle remodeling must be considered.

Moreover, in a follow-up study, the research group showed that in muscle lacking BDNF the age-related decline in muscle mass and function is reduced. "We didn't expect this result", says Handschin. "It also makes the findings interesting for treatment approaches for muscle atrophy in the elderly."

Thank you for these Arky Chu Gong exercises! :D I'm about to watch the video after catching up with this thread, and looking forward to seeing what it's like. Something to add to morning workouts while outside!

I did BBS experiment for 4-5 month, while I did get some results doing the workout, mostly I failed in it. It was too difficult to push myself to the point of muscle failure, especially in the environment where everyone else was doing fast reps in the gym. Also, I was getting bored with the exercise.

Thank god, its time to switch to the morning exercise, it looks more fun and challenging! :-D

Same here; I ended up adding Tai Chi and Qi Gong into the BBS workouts, and some yoga and pilates, to vary it or in between to recover from or help with muscle.

WRT doing Archy Chu Gong in the morning: are these exercises that you have been doing before or after breakfast?

I vary workouts and sometimes do them on alternste days, depending on the exercises. I sometimes exercise in the morning before breakfast, so in a more fasted state - yoga, a bit of strength training, Qi-Gong, and some in the afternoon between 12pm and 6 or 7pm, and this could be as simple as hooping.

In the beginning of the video, it mentions doing them in moderation, not to full exertion, as they are a combination of flexibility, enduarance, balance and strength. There is probably a very individual, case by case element in approach with them. Can they be done lightly for 35 minutes before breakfast, if adapted or adjusted to doing so, or is after breakfast safer?

Last edited:
WRT doing Archy Chu Gong in the morning: are these exercises that you have been doing before or after breakfast?

Before, then you have your much deserved breakfast.

When I do them alone, I do them after work because otherwise it would be way too early. I found them to be a good way to change the energies from my daily job and to prepare myself for other activities at home. However, I found the routine most beneficial when done in the morning before breakfast.

Before, then you have your much deserved breakfast.

When I do them alone, I do them after work because otherwise it would be way too early. I found them to be a good way to change the energies from my daily job and to prepare myself for other activities at home. However, I found the routine most beneficial when done in the morning before breakfast.

Thanks Gaby! :-)

It was great to have the opportunity to do the Arky Chu Gong routine this morning. I absolutely loved doing it!

I went through to get a feel for and practice the different steps. I felt like stopping after the Tibetan Rights, and decided to continue.

There were moments of absolute serenity and relaxation during some of the stretches and moves, and some surprises when I was able to do things I thought I wasn't able to do - or to do easily.

Thank you everyone :-D

I've been following the Arky-Chu-Gong routine for over a month now, with only a couple of missed sessions and I really can't believe what a difference it makes. For me personally, the biggest motivator was a reply I received to my post in a different thread:

Another thing I a had on mind is training the legs. Since I do sports more regularly, including squats, my brain works much better. I read somewhere on the forum that they found a connection between leg musculature and cognitive ability.

I've always been someone whose only physical exercise was running to catch a bus, but ever since I read the above post I've been trying to motivate myself to do regular exercises. So when an opportunity to try out this routine appeared I was on it like a dog with a bone - and I haven't stopped since.

I take melatonin and I wake up a bit groggy, but 10 minutes into the routine I feel like I had a shot of espresso. I don't drink coffee so it's certainly not caffeine kicking in. I didn't react that well at the beginning and I was quite tired (sometimes even a little nauseous) after each workout but that changed around week 2.

I try to be mindful of my breathing during the workout too. I slowly breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth throughout the entire session. Apparently it's supposed to help balance out the left and right brain hemispheres and I'm someone who certainly needs a lot of that balancing!

I've been wanting to try the BBS routine for a while now and in the meantime I did modify some of the Arky-Chu-Gong exercises towards it, for example, the leaning back while kneeling part: I do it very slowly and I stay in the leaning back position until I fully breathed out (I do it slowly). During the leg rises (rite 2 in the video), I keep my legs down without touching the floor for the duration of a very slow exhale. By the time I've done those 21 times each I'm pretty much at the point of collapse. Ouch!
Once I've finished the Arky-Chu-Gong set, I do HIIT aligned sit-ups too. I do them very slowly and never fully get to the bottom or raise, which means my muscles are under constant pressure. I can do around 50 normal sit-ups but only 10-12 of those. Strangely enough, my legs are very weak afterwards for a while but I never get sore muscles.

The hardest part for me was the leg stretching exercises. The first time I tried to do them, my knee was actually touching my jaw so I think it's fair to say I wasn't particularly stretched ;-) I time the stretches and for 45 seconds I stretch my legs to the point of increasing discomfort. For the final 15 seconds I push as hard as possible, even though it hurts very much and my legs are trembling. I sometimes do the stretches for 90-120 seconds in each position. It's only been a month and I can comfortably grab my foot when my legs are straight on the floor 🙌

I can also do the balancing exercises with a lot more ease and I don't wobble like a turkey dancing cha-cha anymore. Also, I can now do 5-7 pushups and for me that's a lot. I never managed to do more than one on those toothpick-shaped arms of mine so that's progress.

It's still early days but the biggest change is that I feel much more sturdy in my body now and my legs and arms seem to have changed their shape. The improvement is very slight and I wouldn't really say I've developed muscles but something good is definitely happening.

I'm really looking forward to starting the BBS workout too. I found a certified personal trainer based near me on Dr Doug Mcguff's website but the price is quite high per session with the minimum commitment being 6 sessions. I'd try it on my own but I haven't seen the inside of a gym since I had PE classes at school so I'm not sure I would know which equipment to use and how without guidance.

Last edited:
It's still early days but the biggest change is that I feel much more sturdy in my body now and my legs and arms seem to have changed their shape. The improvement is very slight and I wouldn't really say I've developed muscles but something good is definitely happening.

That means you're doing it correctly.

If you wake up one day and look like Mr. Universe or Mrs. The Cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, then you're doing it wrong. If you wake up one day and you're in horrible pain, then you did it wrong.

Just look at the Makumba-kumba tribe in the jungles of wherever - where they live in grass huts, have no modern tech, run like minimum 40 miles a day, and are perfectly healthy... yet none of them look like our modern ideas of "fit".

That's the #1 problem with exercise these days. We think that if we do it, we'll lose tons of weight, look like a sports/Hollywood star, etc.

What we then fail to notice are the real improvements in our overall health: the lack of pains when we do certain things, the slight (and slow) increase in muscle tone (not necessarily size), the way we carry ourselves differently, the way our posture improves, improved sleep, improved ability to deal with stress, improved ability to think clearly, and so on.

Other people will notice these things much more, and even comment on them. And then we'll think they're crazy and/or just "being nice". Well, no!

I like to joke about "Getting HUUUUUGE! :mad:" but what I actually mean is getting not-huge. Which is why it's funny. Um, to me, anyway... :whistle:

Thanks for the comprehensive Arky Chu Gong fusion morning workout! I think this is really perfect for the mornings. These days, I normally only do knee and ankle twists followed by a Suria Namaskar (Sun Salutation). I used to go regularly for Sunday Hatha Yoga classes in which quite a few of the poses that were in the ACG workout were done. One of my favorite poses is the Half-spinal Twist (the Pretzel!) and it's always satisfying to hear the spine and shoulder joints click into place. Don't know if that's normal but it usually happens. The other one that I really like is the Supine twist. Yeah, my spine needs a lot of love, talk about spine hunger!

I'll start with the ACG tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I've become used to using my mornings for reading but hopefully, if I add this in as the first thing I do when I wake up, I'll be able to deal with any morning anxiety and to also lessen the coffee dependency that I've developed in the past few months or so (hopefully, we'll see!). It could also enhance my morning reading by providing a bit more mental clarity - I sometimes have lots of trouble concentrating that it can get quite excruciating at times. It may very well allow me to read more or at the very least, get the equivalent amount of reading in less time. I usually wake up at 4AM or even earlier sometimes, so there's lots of room to fit it in - the full 35 minutes could be done, but I might start off with a select few exercises.

Since I started BBS I left off my yoga practice. I was also not very sure about combining strength based exercises with yoga, as the material my yoga instructor handed me states that physical exercise shouldn't be combined with yoga. That said, if the Chateau crew are having good results, I don't see a problem! The only strength exercise in the ACG as far as I can see is the pushup.

I may continue with the BBS though my lizard brain doth protest!

Personally, I find it cool because I feel MUCH stronger than before. And symbolically speaking, working on the core muscles (not just the muscles you can see) makes me feel grounded, and more capable of Working on "core issues", what is important deep inside, the essence if you will, etc. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch (no pun intended), but IMO it helps. :-)

Absolutely Chu, if you've read the book on Healing Developmental Trauma, one of the symptoms of trauma is a "collapsed core" which, I think, a lot of us are not conscious of, being in the seated position most of the time in front of a computer. It's that totally deflated feeling you get after being in that position for hours. I remember feeling so much more "fulfilled" when I did my yoga regularly. It's a world of a difference when you're aware of your inner world, muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and bones - life hums along way more nicely and the river of life can flow much more freely. Grab Qi for the day!!!

Oh, that's awesome! Thanks for posting the video Chu. I had a few laughs watching because I sometimes do those balancing stretches shown in the video and am pretty much almost always wobbling or about to fall over at some point. I can't wait to learn the routine and start trying it out. The Doug McGuff workouts have been great and I've noticed a steady increase in strength and I've put on weight, but I've always felt 20 minutes once a week, or rather I've broken it up into 3 major exercises once every 5 days so 10 days between each workout, just isn't enough and that I need a daily routine on top of strength training. Especially seeing as I sit at a desk for several hours a day. This just seems perfect all around and I really like Gaby's idea about also doing it after work. I'm not a morning person and get up really early to begin with, although maybe I might try waking up extra early and see how I feel during the day.

In the video, there was no mention of water and drinking it, either before, during or after the routine. Is drinking water as needed during the routine/in between steps helpful at least when starting out, and at least for some (all factors - such as environment and physiology - considered), listening to our bodies throughout?

For the BBS exercises, I didn't drink water during a 15 minute routine, and drank after as needed. The same with other exercise done usually. The first morning I did this exercise, I took a break after the Tibetian Rites to drink water.

For the time being, practicing regularly so as to learn the steps and paying attention to posture are what I'm focussing on. I'm curious, as when you're at a gym, there are people drinking water in between steps or routines, and similarly when people go running. Overall, I drink quality water, as good in quality as possible, as needed throughout the day. FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom