Armenians Mark 100 Years Today Since Genocide Committed by Ottoman Turks

Ocean

The Living Force
Armenians Mark 100 Years Today Since Genocide Committed by Ottoman Turks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3052102/Harrowing-photo-collection-shows-world-true-horror-Armenian-genocide.html

By Tim Macfarlan For Mailonline
24 April 2015

Revealed: Harrowing photo collection smuggled out of Armenia a century ago by American and colleague who risked imprisonment to show world the true horror of the 'genocide'

John Elder and Armin Wegner both documented the unimaginable suffering they witnessed through horror pictures
Wegner used secret mail routes to sneak images out but was caught by German police and sent to cholera ward
Helped build case against Turkish government which still denies killing of up to 1.5million Armenians was genocide
As world marks 100 years since the atrocities many Western governments including the US still do not use

This is a shocking collection of harrowing photographs of the death and destruction reaped on Armenians by Ottoman Turks a century ago that were taken by an American and a colleague who risked imprisonment to smuggle them out and show the world the full horror of what happened.

John Elder and Armin T. Wegner both documented the unimaginable suffering they witnessed in images which helped build a case against a Turkish government which still denies the slaughter of up to 1.5million Armenians constituted genocide.

As Armenians mark 100 years since the atrocities, many Western countries still do not use that word, and US president Barack Obama is once again unlikely to do so in his upcoming statement marking the anniversary despite pledging he would during his election campaign.

27DFD04800000578-3052102-image-a-31_1429808395632.jpg

An image of a starving Armenian orphan taken by John Elder. More than 150,000 Armenian children were left parentless by the end of 1918

27DFCFFB00000578-3052102-image-a-64_1429862331726.jpg

Armenian deportees travel on foot in 1915 as taken by Armin Wegner, including women and children on an unpaved road in the desert sun

27DFD00700000578-3052102-image-a-24_1429808254229.jpg

A crowd looks on as Armenians are hanged in the street in Constantinople before their forced removal to the desert had begun after April 1915

27DFCFB500000578-3052102-image-a-30_1429808368755.jpg

This image was titled 'Abandoned and murdered small children of the (Armenian) deportees' by Wegner and was taken in 1915-1916

Wegner, a volunteer military nurse, set up clandestine mail routes with foreign consulates and embassies to get many hundreds of notes, annotations, documents, letters and photographs of the Armenian deportation camps to Germany and the United States.

He did so in defiance of strict orders from the Turkish and German authorities aimed at preventing any evidence of the horrors of the 'genocide' reaching the outside world.

But his ruse was discovered and he was arrested by the German authorities and put to serve in cholera wards in Baghdad at the request of the Turkish command.

There he fell seriously ill, and German-born Wegner left for Constantinople (modern-day Istanbul) in November 1916. Hidden in his belt were his photographic plates, and those of other German officers, with images of the Armenian massacre to which he had been a witness.

His images still retain the power to shock as the world marks the 100th anniversary of the 'genocide' today.

In one, two Armenians are pictured hanging in the street in broad daylight in the capital Constantinople while a crowd, including women and children, looks on.

The image was taken in 1915 just before the mass deportation of Armenians to the desert had begun. Hundreds of thousands were forced from their homes in Anatolia and herded towards Syria.

27EE6BF900000578-3052102-image-m-10_1429861441446.jpg

A skeleton is resting in a refugee graveyard while a black clad figure walks away from the camera in Igdir, now in Eastern Anatolia in Turkey

27EE6B9900000578-3052102-image-m-16_1429861593746.jpg

Armenian deportees sleeping in the street in 1915 in the Syrian region of the Ottoman empire. They are mostly women without families

27EE6B9500000578-3052102-image-m-15_1429861580491.jpg

Orphans of the massacre take a rest. Hundreds of thousands of Armenians were forced from their homes in Anatolia and herded towards Syria

27EE6BA100000578-3052102-image-m-20_1429861683815.jpg

Three generations of the same family of refugees take shelter from the son in a makeshift tent. Many of those targeted for expulsion starved to death, were shot or bayoneted by Ottoman Turkish soldiers

The then two million strong Armenian minority were persecuted by a government suspicious that as Christians they were more loyal to Christian governments like that of Russia than they were to the Ottoman caliphate.

Though they had thrived under Ottoman rule, despite being regarded as 'infidels' by their Muslim rulers, the Armenians were resented for their relative prosperity and success compared to many Ottoman Turks.

The Ottoman government began their campaign in earnest after Armenians organized volunteer battalions to help the Russian army fight against the Turks in the Caucasus region. The Ottoman government used this as a justification to begin their forced 'removal' of Armenians the war zones along the Eastern Front in a bid to 'Turkify' what remained of a ailing empire.

The deportation began following the rounding up of 235 Armenian leaders and intellectuals in the capital on April 24, 1915 - the anniversary of which is marked today. Many of those then targeted for expulsion starved to death, were shot or bayoneted by Ottoman Turkish soldiers.

Another photograph shows the bodies of three murdered young boys lying in a gutter, one of them stripped naked, while two others look on. More than 150,000 Armenian children were left parentless by the end of the First World War.

And in a third of Wegner's incredible images taken in 1915, a band of Armenian deportees, including a woman carrying a baby, children and elderly men, stagger through the desert along an unpaved road in the blazing suns towards their hellish new lives as refugees.

Elder, from Pennsylvania, was a relief worker in the Armenian capital of Yerevan from 1917 to 1919

27EE6C4900000578-3052102-image-m-27_1429861783226.jpg

Refugees struggle to make their way along the Igdir road. The city was occupied in 1920 and is now part of a region of eastern Turkey

27E6A68D00000578-3052102-image-a-63_1429862316980.jpg

'A 15-year-old child who died of starvation', according to Wegner, who took the image of the two bodies of young boys in 1915-1916

27EE6B8500000578-3052102-image-m-33_1429861826675.jpg

Armenian deportees living in the open desert with bedding as their only shelter, though luckier families in the background have tents

Elder's pictures of orphans are particularly harrowing, some of them clearly starving with angular bones poking through the stretched skin of their shrunken bodies.

In one eerie shot a human skeleton is pictured resting in a refugee graveyard while a black clad figure walks away from the camera in the background. In another refugees desperately forage for food by a railway track.

In light of such evidence Obama's reticence to use the word 'genocide', in a bid to placate America's Turkish allies, has disappointed many.

Several US officials said there had been a sharp internal debate over whether to use the 100-year anniversary to call the killings 'genocide' and make good on the president's campaign promise, particularly after Pope Francis used the term earlier this month.

27EE6C3E00000578-3052102-image-m-36_1429861871920.jpg

Refugees foraging for food at by a railway track at Alexandropol. The city is now called Gyumri, the second largest in Armenia

27E6FF1600000578-3052102-image-a-49_1429862159049.jpg
27EE6C3500000578-3052102-image-m-48_1429862148828.jpg

Armin Wegner (left) fearlessly documented the horror with his camera just like Elder, who took this image of an Armenian refugee (right)

27EE6B7D00000578-3052102-image-m-62_1429862292420.jpg

A burial service is held at a deportation camp. Wegner describe the scene as 'Armenian deportees living in the open desert under makeshift tents. Clothing of some deportees is already worn to rags'

27DFD05800000578-3052102-image-a-60_1429862283292.jpg
27DFCFF400000578-3052102-image-a-61_1429862287716.jpg

A painfully thin orphan of the massacre (left) taken by Elder in Yerevan, now the capital of Armenia, in 1918. Wegner captioned the image on the right: 'Fleeing from death. An Armenian mother on the heights of the Taurus Mountains whose husband has been killed'

That comment by the Pope prompted an angry response from Turkey, which recalled its ambassador to the Vatican. Several European governments and parliaments are also expected to use the word in discussions of the events 100 years ago.

The number of Armenians who died during this period is in fact only around 300,000, according to Turkey, which still blames 'war and disease' rather than a targeted programme of extermination by the Ottoman government.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish president, said at a press conference on Wednesday he 'would not want Obama to use the word "genocide" and would not expect such a thing.'

The country's prime minister Ahmet Davutoglu accused the European Parliament of 'enmity' against Turkey over its vote to use the term to describe the killings.

In his formal statement on the anniversary he also insisted that Armenian losses were among many in the First World War and that it was a form of 'discrimination' to focus on Armenians and not on 'Turkish and Muslim Ottomans' who died at the same time.

His words did not stop dozens of Armenians from gathering on Wednesday for an annual commemoration ceremony at a chasm at a site called Dudan, near the city of Diyarbakir in southeastern Turkey, where it is believed there is a mass grave to victims of the 'genocide'.

Around 10,000 are thought to have been led here by Turkish military police in 1915 before being brutally murdered and thrown into the cleft in the rock.

At the Tsitsernakaberd Memorial in Yerevan today Russian President Vladimir Putin and French President Francois Hollande joined Armenian Apostolic Church leader Catholicos Garegin II and Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic at the 100th anniversary ceremony remembering the 'genocide'.

27DDBED400000578-3052102-image-a-65_1429862367244.jpg

A woman leans to peek into a chasm as Armenian people gather during an anniversary ceremony at a site called Dudan near Diyarbakir, believed to be a mass grave of the 'Armenian Genocide'

27EF34FC00000578-3052102-image-a-79_1429868793877.jpg

Soldiers stand guard in front of the Tsitsernakaberd Memorial in Yerevan during a commemoration ceremony to mark the 100th anniversary of the Armenian 'genocide' today

27EF3CEC00000578-3052102-image-a-78_1429868768065.jpg

Left to right: Armenian Apostolic Church leader Catholicos Garegin II, Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Rita, the wife of Armenia's President Serge Sarkisian and French President Francois Hollande at the ceremony

27EF41D800000578-3052102-image-a-88_1429868868009.jpg
27D602D500000578-3052102-image-m-87_1429868859120.jpg

Vladimir Putin at the Armenian Genocide memorial complex today (left). US President Barack Obama (right) continues to avoid using the word 'genocide' in connection with what happened to the Armenians at the hands of the Ottoman Turks

Thank you! I was looking this morning at some images of the genocide. Incredible. How dolorous are these images, and how I am angry with myself to know so little about this tragedy.

US President Barack Obama (right) continues to avoid using the word 'genocide' in connection with what happened to the Armenians at the hands of the Ottoman Turks

We know why, don't we know.

Yes Loreta, they didn't teach us about this genocide in school, that's for sure. I once met an Armenian a few years ago, and he mentioned about the Turks, and I looked completely dumb when he said "You know about the genocide don't you?" Because I didn't know anything. Shameful really.

My father, while a teen, stumbled across a book in his high school library that told of this genocide, as he once recounted to me and my brothers.

He told us that reading about the obscenities done to the Armenians by the Turks plunged him right into a full-blown depression.

Absolutely. They don't teach us nothing, in school. Just what they want. And today all these politicians doing discourses that are so void of sense, just words, bla bla bla.

Me too, in 1985, I meet an Armenian, we were doing theater and he said to me: I am Armenian, you now about the genocide, don't you? Me too, I looked dumb, an ignorant, and I was an ignorant. Then I forgot about it, read about other massacres but the Armenian genocide is one that we hear so little. The pictures I saw this morning are in my mind all day, will be in my mind during days. And my anger!

Large scale massacres against Armenians began in the 1890's under Sultan Hamid. It's estimated that about 300,000 were killed then. Another 1.5 million were killed systematically from 1915 to 1923. There are very few Armenians who don't have family that was killed during the genocide. My family from both sides lost most of their family members.

It seems that Armenian massacres started in the rule in Abdul Hamid II. Then the blatant genocide was initiated by some Pashas of the Committee of Union and Progress. Talaat Pasha, who was one of the mighty Three Pashas (_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Pashas) of the period, was the leading actor of the great Armenian tragedy. These three seem to have served global and national fascism especially well. Greek and Assyrian genocides were other significant ones in that era, again led by the Committee. Although the Independence War of Turkey under the leadership Atatürk, who also used to be a member of the Committee, was a great success in terms of a nation's organization to defend itself against invading forces, mass massacres by the state forces continued towards some national 'nuisances' in later years.

Turkey seems to have been a hot spot for some of the goriest mass slaughter events in the world since the Ottoman times. Most people are so much terrorized, intimidated and brainwashed that they often act under a thick influence of a powerful mental programming in terms of submitting to and defending the state ideology. And thus they often share the bad karma. A very cursed legacy of the imperial experiences I think. But, there have always been some kind or kinds of conscientious opposing tendencies by various groups, too, although they have probably never been powerful enough. Hope continues in some way. For instance, it becomes gradually more common to discuss 'the Armenian problem of 1915'. And I think more and more people can begin in some way to face the actuality although the majority still sticks to the lies of the 'unmistakable' state ideology. They are led to believe that the Armenians started it all. Some massacres committed by some Armenian groups themselves are sufficient evidence to them. Although, as far as I know, some Armenians thereafter also committed some dreadful massacres against some Turkish and/or Muslim people, this does not change the fact that the Ottoman/Turkish side was responsible for the initiation of the viscious circle at the level of an actual genocide!

Well... Erdogan is not happy:

Armenian genocide resolution: Turkey vows to take steps in response, recalls ambassador from Germany

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Ankara will take retaliatory measures after the German parliament voted to recognize as 'genocide' the Armenian massacre of 1915. Turkey has already recalled its ambassador to Germany in protest.

Ambassador Huseyin Avni Karslioglu is expected to fly back to Turkey on Thursday afternoon, according to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

Turkey has also decided to summon Germany's charge d'affaires to the Foreign Ministry in Ankara following the vote.

The Turkish government reacted furiously to the decision made by the German parliament to pass the motion, which was almost unanimous, with just one MP voting against and another abstaining.

President Erdogan, who is currently on a state visit to Kenya, has said the German resolution will seriously impact relations between the two countries.

Why is it so hard for them to say: ''Okay, we checked the records, we did our research, and we found evidence that at least 1.5 million Armenians were killed during that time. We are incredibly sorry, and we will do whatever we can to improve our relationship with Armenia." Boggles the mind, seems like Erdogan and (Turkish) Co. live in a different reality where anything related to the Ottoman Empire was incredible and great.

AFAIK, good job on this one, Germany.

Because they're psychopaths. A psychopath never admits his horrific acts.

Genocid is allways awfull. :cry:
The C's say life is a lesson. I agree. But what about all these children all over the world, all over the Times, that have been tortured, raped, or murdered? What lesson is it for the child? This kind of acts on children is unacceptable for me, and for anyone who has conciousness, that's why i can't understand how the Universe allows it.

Nature thank you for raising this question is something I also asked myself for quite some time. Those that are tortured, raped, killed in agony, they knew what they were going to happen to them before we came to earth? And if so why did they make this choice? Is it a question of karma? My questions are not just for children but for all people to whom it happens to them.
I may be missing something ... I do not know

nature said:
Because they're psychopaths. A psychopath never admits his horrific acts.

True, I think that's the case here. They're also not admitting the horrific acts they commit against the Kurds in eastern Turkey, I actually didn't know this was happening and once I read about what was going on there, I was shocked. I can just hope it will all come to an end soon. :(

nature said:
Genocid is allways awfull. :cry:
The C's say life is a lesson. I agree. But what about all these children all over the world, all over the Times, that have been tortured, raped, or murdered? What lesson is it for the child? This kind of acts on children is unacceptable for me, and for anyone who has conciousness, that's why i can't understand how the Universe allows it.

Christine said:
Nature thank you for raising this question is something I also asked myself for quite some time. Those that are tortured, raped, killed in agony, they knew what they were going to happen to them before we came to earth? And if so why did they make this choice? Is it a question of karma? My questions are not just for children but for all people to whom it happens to them.

I've wondered the same. Reading the Wave helped me understand this better, maybe it is part of their lessons to learn. Probably also part of our lessons to learn, to acknowledge these things are happening and to at least look for and understand the cause, which primarily is psychopathy. I'm not sure if they knew this was going to happen to them, perhaps it is different in each case. Maybe some of them were at the wrong place at the wrong time, maybe some of them learned more about evil in this world by living under occupation for example, it's hard to tell. I think it isn't so much that the Universe allows it to happen, but more that this is part of nature in a way. If you haven't already, I recommend reading this thread that could be helpful: Life experiences represent interaction with "God" and Laura's post here.

I cant even look at the images in this topic. I get very unpleasant feeling when i look at those pictures with tortured and killed people, especially children. after that i also feel very depressed.
I cant understand how can a human being make that to another human being. Its out of my mind. And then i remember that they are not humans.

Erdogan is refusing to accept that ottomans made all this atrocities because he identifies with them. His goal is to recreate that empiry again.
His influence on the Balkan is huge. I can speak specifically for Macedonia.The influence here is huge.
But the problem is because people here look at him as a great man, as a emperor. Few years ago hi made a visit of the area where i live and he was welcomed from ordinary people with such an excitement and joy that it was unimaginable. When his political party wins elections, people celebrate that in the streets until late in the night. A lot of people cant see that he is in fact just a psychopath.

The Armenian genocide must be acknowledged by entire world and its one of the greatest genocides in human hystory. Learning from that , and not hiding.

It seems the Iranians have have an Armenian memorial/museum for a long time. It's in Isfahan because I think a lot of Armenian Christians settled there. They became part of a thriving artisan community.

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/Memorial.93/current_category.66/memorials_detail.html

Its sounds like an exact duplicate of the Nazi Jewish Holocaust only it occured in WWI. War seems to be the 'cover' for so many atrocities.

Christine said:
I don't think they knew before reincarnating. We reincarnate in body according to DNA, when it's compatible (if my knowledge is correct).
I can imagine that these atrocities on adults can be a part of lesson, even if I still have difficulties to accept their "utility", but on children? even on babies?? What raping a young child can bring to this child?
Oxajil said:
If you haven't already, I recommend reading this thread that could be helpful: Life experiences represent interaction with "God" and Laura's post here.
Thank you, I'll read.

Konstantin said:
But the problem is because people here look at him as a great man, as a emperor. Few years ago hi made a visit of the area where i live and he was welcomed from ordinary people with such an excitement and joy that it was unimaginable. When his political party wins elections, people celebrate that in the streets until late in the night. A lot of people cant see that he is in fact just a psychopath.

:shock: Propaganda by psychopath is very effective! I hope this people now awakes.

Ruth said:
Its sounds like an exact duplicate of the Nazi Jewish Holocaust only it occured in WWI. War seems to be the 'cover' for so many atrocities.
Yes, these 2 countries have allways been allied, despite they have nothing in common.
War as a cover: yes, even nowadays! War in itself is not something normal. Nothing justifies it. But psychopaths that rule countries are son keen on propaganda, that they easily lead its citizens to accept going to war.

I have a question about armenian genocid:
The ottoman sultans were tolerant on minorities (jewish were protected by sultans, whereas they were not wellcomed elsewere) and on religions, so why these atrocities on Armenians?
When I was young, I remember our turkish neighbors speaking about their country: how Ataturk positively changed the country, giving women the right to vote, the only country on the world that gave this equality to women, idem for education, with a rate of alphabetisation the higher on the world, the abolition of religious wearing for women, laicity. it's said that his adopted daughter was an Armenian girl!
So: how a leader that respected women and children have been able to continue such atrocities?

Back
Top Bottom