Bad News about Berkey water filter and other filters

SummerLite

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
For all of you who may be using a Berkey and love it for its fabulous filtering capabilities.....looks like its not all its cracked up to be, sadly. I've been using a Berkey for 7 years now and bought it from recommendations by forum members here so thought you'd find this insightful. So, now I'm also looking for a new, gravity fed filter when I thought I was covered.

3 videos laying out what this man found from his research and "trying" to contact the company with questions on their claims that the filters are efficient at 3000 gallons of use.

Explains how Berkey hasn't any legitimate certification for their claims of high level filtration. When contacted, the 3rd party lab they use (since NSF certification is so expensive) even said, their tests only covered 200 gallons. He names a few brands he thinks are reputable, Aqua Sauna, Zero Water, Watts.

Berkey is involved 2 lawsuits, one is a class action lawsuit and the test results from a reputable lab, used as evidence, are dismal if not shocking. As an example, for 100 gallons of filtered water, chloramine had only a reduction of 56.3. Other examples for various chemicals are given, all very poor. Sounds like a scam. He gives documentation somewhere but I couldn't find it.

As he continued his search for that perfect water filter he discovered a long list of other companies that are doing the same thing as Berkey.......Fabulous claims and no verification. Water purifiers are in big demand these days and profits are being made no doubt. To name a few, Alexa Pure, aquacera, Zen Water, ProPure.

Hum, that's a bad news. The fact is that, my work, we recently moved to a new room/offices, and i planed, before end of this year, to buy a water filter and a berkey was the "no-doubt" choice.

I did not watch the clip, i'll maybe ask my colleague to watch them and determine what's to take and what's to doubt. So far i understood that the filters have to be replaced quite more often than what is "written on the notice" ? And in second, that it does not filter as good as it's said ? I'll have anyway to take a decision rathjer rapidly, during the coming month - we actually buy our water in bottles, but i do not trust anymore water bottles.

Wait a second. Several years ago, I was mad at another water filtration company because I tested the water through that system and it didn't remove fluoride, contrary to lab reports that company posted. Then I obtained a Berkey with its fluoride filter, tested the water that ran through it, and Berkey did remove fluoride according to my own testing.

So before any more bashing of Berkey, I'd like to see people do some actual testing of the water run through Berkey, not what a lawsuit or article says.

I also do not rely exclusively on my Berkey. I have a water filter outside the house, I run that water through a water distiller, and I run the distiller water through the Berkey for drinking water.

Wait a second. Several years ago, I was mad at another water filtration company because I tested the water through that system and it didn't remove fluoride, contrary to lab reports that company posted. Then I obtained a Berkey with its fluoride filter, tested the water that ran through it, and Berkey did remove fluoride according to my own testing.

So before any more bashing of Berkey, I'd like to see people do some actual testing of the water run through Berkey, not what a lawsuit or article says.

I also do not rely exclusively on my Berkey. I have a water filter outside the house, I run that water through a water distiller, and I run the distiller water through the Berkey for drinking water.
These videos really struck a nerve with some people since after it was posted several people posted videos attacking the claims , one long time Berkey distributer was furious! There are now several videos on YouTube with people doing their own tests so you can have a look. Personaly, I'm still using my Berkey because it does make my well water taste better and I'm not inclined to go through the extensive research on water filters I did years ago plus I've bought extra filters already. My water has been tested in the recent past and the quality is good. I'm no longer on city tap water which is why i bought the Berkey years ago with fluoride filters and i "thought" it did well.I had intended to look at that lawsuit but haven't made the time which is something I should have done since I posted this. If all else fails there's always the boiling water method and bleach even though this doesn't remove chemicals.

I may be wrong but I thought distilled water wasn't advised for long term use because it removes all the minerals same with reverse osmosis.

I looked into the Alexa Pure or maybe it was Zen Water and entered my zip code to get a reading on my water for the best filter for my area. They said the mineral content here was to high for sufficient filtering with their filters so a no go for me. All in all I'm a bit burned out on the water filter consideration and what I have is good enough for now. It is a important matter however and I'll be looking into the personal straw type at some point.

Last edited:
I've been using a Berkey since 2000, first with the white ceramic filters, now with the black ones. I have never tested my water, but I do know that the filtering removes bad tastes/smells. I have used it on well water as well as treated city water. The filters work well until they get clogged up with whatever gunk is in the water, then I wash them with a scrubby pad and they start working again. The current black set I have been using since 2020 and they are still working fine as long as I clean them when needed.

A couple of times I have sent emails to Berkey and they responded promptly.

We drink a lot of water and use it for cooking and our dog. So while I do not know the facts of what exactly is filtered, it works for my needs.

Well I'm closing the door on this lawsuit attack against Berkey.
Well the class action suit has one major problem up front. They are claiming that Berkey deliberately sold in California. All of the defendants live in California. For as long as I've known about Berkey, they has always stated that they cannot sell in California and will not ship to California.

Another problem, the issue of what is pure water. They are stating that water purification must result in 100% water, and only water. Sorry but that has never been the case for any water purification products.

Interesting. So they only found 3 "fails". They didn't bother to test for most of the items, they just assumed based on those 3.

Berkey's response says a lot. You should read it. They tested the wrong product. The product tested was used. And the product was not sold in CA. That Berkey does not promise 100% pure H2O. There is more. Basically, they bought a travel Berkey. But hand delivered and tested a Crown Berkey. No chain of evidence. No proof of harm. The plaintiff admits that they didn't deliver Berkey filters for testing, but "similar carbon filters" that should meet the requirements for evidence because they are carbon filters. Like all carbon filters are the same thing. Lots more.

Hi,

We finally bought a Berkey a few months before and I decided to make a water test by a local labo. As my mother and one of my colleague already have a Berkey, i had first in mind to make 6 tests : test the tap water from the village of my mother, before and after the Berkey, and do the same for the tap water we have at the office and the tap water my colleague has from his village. Finally, we decided to start to test one water, the one of the office and we received the results and i'm a bit lost about.

First, here are the information found on the (french) website of a berkey reseller.
On this page of their site you have some links to some results of some analysis (PDF), check the 2nd link below, the one named "Tests des performances de purification du filtre Black Berkey" (if you click on the link it'll open the 4 pages PDF)
Results are impressive.

Note that :
- we had choices of the test, from a basic one at 63€ to a complete one at 1500€ ... we choosed a middle one at +/- 350€ that need to be done 2 times. We just added the "dry residual" test as an extra demand.
- we bought the extra filters which cope with fluoride (these ones) but we did not install them, so we did not ask to test the fluoride.
- we use a middle-sized capacity with 4 black filters which can be still considered as new (we filtered less than 50L with them when we did the test 1 month before)

Here are the results we summariez on an excel, i copy/paste the table :
ParameterUnitCriteriaUnfiltered waterFiltered Water
Color-ABSENCEABSENCEABSENCE
Smell-ABSENCEABSENCEABSENCE
Flavor----
Temperature ph measurement°Cx22,322,5
TurbidityFNU<= 1<0,50,6
pHx6,5 to 9,57,78,2
Conductivity 20°CµS/cm<= 2500528573
NH4 (Ammonium)mg/L<= 0,5<0,05<0,05
NO2- (Nitrogen dioxide)mg/L<= 0,5<0,05<0,05
Cl- (Chlorine)mg/L<= 25017,026,0
NO3- (Nitrates)mg/L<= 5025,019,0
SO4-- (Sulfates)mg/L<= 25033,034,0
Fe (Iron)mg/L<= 0,2 #<0,1<0,1
Na (Sodium)mg/L<= 200 #840
K (Potassium)mg/L-116
Ca (Calcium)mg/L-10979,8
Mg (Magnesium)mg/L-4,03,6
Zn (Zinc)mg/L-<0,1<0,1
Si (Silicium)mg/L-3,03,4
B (Boron)mg/L<= 1,50,00820,0045
Al (Aluminium)mg/L<= 0,20,00300,110
Cr (Chrome)mg/L<= 0,025<0,001<0,001
Mn (Manganese)mg/L<= 0,050<0,001<0,001
Ni (Nickel)mg/L<= 0,020<0,001<0,001
Cu (Copper)mg/L<= 20,0072<0,001
As (Arsenic)mg/L<= 0,0100,00030,0002
Se (Selenium)mg/L<= 0,020<0,005<0,005
Cd (Cadmium)mg/L<= 0,005<0,0001<0,0001
Sb (Antimony)mg/L<= 0,010<0,0001<0,0001
Pb (Lead)mg/L<= 0,01<0,001<0,001
Hg (Mercure)mg/L<= 0,001<0,00005<0,00005
Overall hardness (TH)°f-28,021,7
TAC°f-2324
Dry residualmg/L-356367

We do not have the knowledge to interpret them, or at least well interpret them. What i can say so far is that i'm a bit deceived, i thought that the dry residual would a good amount lower but it's not the case, and some strange things like having a bit more Chlorine in the filtered water, more Na (sodium) also which goes from 8 to 40, and quite more aluminium (goes from 0,0030 to 0,1100). Maybe the tap water coming from the village (it's a village not a town) has already a good quality ?

One of the reason I made this costly test (using my company's funds) was to participate to the researches we all make here on the forum, as such test are not free it was a good opportunity to well use the company's buckets. But now that we have the results ... it would be good to have the comments from someone who can interpret them correctly (biologist, chemist, ...). My general question is if these results prove something or not ? Do they confirm what the guy said in the clips posted by @SummerLite , or due to the fact that the original water tested is already of a good quality, the test is not much usefull or not much relevant ?

We can eventually perform a second (double) test, with another water, eventually asking to test other substances. But if someone answers that it's not needed we'll not do it.

The main and final/big question is : is it usefull to continue to use it ? From our taste test the filtered water is a bit more softer, but that's all. If the answer to the question is no, which other system is efficient ? I know it's long debate, i studied filtering solution and various water dynamisation in the past, the Kangen water seems good but it's not filtering but allow to modify the pH. The subject of drinking good water is crucial from my point of view, but it's hard to find a consensus among the myriad of solutions that can be found (for filtering, dynamising, modifying pH, ...) and the same myriad of recommandations that can be read. At this stage i admit i do not know what to think.

I found that Bluevua Reverse Osmosis System from Amazon does the Job.

At times, the water does taste a little flat, but I just put it out in the Sun for a while and then in the fridge to cool, and it seems to taste better.

For someone who lives in a small apartment, it's the best product that I've found so far that doesn't take up too much space.

Amazon.com

61UmDL17kDL._SL1500_.jpg

@dredger, I’m unclear about the column headings: is “CRITERION” the water straight from the tap? Or is that the unfiltered column?

At first glance the numbers are perhaps, dare I say, unimpressive. So the question is: are you/they testing for the impurities or issues that really concern you? IOW, on the plus side, the Berky may be doing good on things not tested for. And yeah, the increase in aluminum is weird unless it comes from the berk or the filters?

@dredger, I’m unclear about the column headings: is “CRITERION” the water straight from the tap? Or is that the unfiltered column?

At first glance the numbers are perhaps, dare I say, unimpressive. So the question is: are you/they testing for the impurities or issues that really concern you? IOW, on the plus side, the Berky may be doing good on things not tested for. And yeah, the increase in aluminum is weird unless it comes from the berk or the filters?
I'd avoid 'Black Berkey's' (an extruded carbon filter) like the plague if you expecting them to be used in emergency situations with untreated water or in developing world situations with polluted and/or untreated water.

It's best to construct your own unit but you need to hurry before the 'system'/HIT/imports starts to shut down. You should design your unit for use in varying conditions such as no electricity situations, no pressurized water, winter conditions (if in such as area), varying water quality including untreated (sewage) and polluted water situations, travel conditions and various contaminants.

@ dredger: Wow, your water is worst after Berkey filter! 2 hypothesis:
- the laboratory has mistaken the post-filter sample with another sample in the laboratory?
- the berkey's filter is bad quality, adding some bad elements ? nitrates, sulfates, aluminium, chlorine, dry residu, etc

Thank you for your idea and expense into documenting the Berkey's capacity in filtering properly the water. Now it's clear one has to avoid it, as ericw33 adviced.
PS: what if you convey this result to Berkey and ask their point of vue?

@ dredger: Wow, your water is worst after Berkey filter! 2 hypothesis:
- the laboratory has mistaken the post-filter sample with another sample in the laboratory?
- the berkey's filter is bad quality, adding some bad elements ? nitrates, sulfates, aluminium, chlorine, dry residu, etc

Thank you for your idea and expense into documenting the Berkey's capacity in filtering properly the water. Now it's clear one has to avoid it, as ericw33 adviced.
PS: what if you convey this result to Berkey and ask their point of vue?

I always figured the BB were sinmply an extruded carbon filter ('carbon block filter'). They are pretty inexpensive so IMO they wanted to get into the 'Royal Dalton' market with higher prices and less competition but using the cheaper filter for greater profit. The Royal Daltons are late 1800s tech (gravity drip filters) - basically kiln fired diatomaceous earth. There's no 'one' filter - you have to test the water or know what conditions it's for then design the water system around it. A carbon block filter works differently and serve for specific purposes. Usually a good filter setup will have a bunch of filters/membranes doing specific things - and in a specific sequence. You'd also design it around the conditions you'd be operating in - no electricity or piped water if it's for emergency use, for example. You'd also look into flow rates, waste water rejection rates, filter life expectancy and that sort of thing and work it into the design.

What I found in 1998-2022 or thereabout on test with about 40 BB filters is they seem to (IMO) have ripped off the design from Royal Dalton (<- again late 1800s tech with many shortcomings). The plastic end is really meant for kiln fired diatomaceous earth (like a porous ceramic, micro-filtration (MF)) which is pretty strong. An extruded carbon filter is much weaker. So what happens is that the end caps tend to leak after a while so you can end up with unfiltered water bypassing the filter. With dangerous untreated waters this can kill a person, or, they end up very sick with no medical care. I made photos back then, if I find them I'll post them as I pulled the end caps and you can see where the water leakage was due to stains.

If it is just biological contamination your concerned about then you can use SSKI, Lugols, Chlorine and so forth to first kill the biologicals FIRST and then filter it to reduce whatever else is in there. If you have a BB setup and your concerned about various pollutants you can add additional stages to further filter the water. You can test somewhat using food dye to see it it had any leaks.

There's 12+ short comings on water drips during tests I did back around 2002 - one is if there is a leak (bad seal, bad deign of the filter..) there's no safety and the untreated water goes directly into the reservoir container without any filtering. If you're filtering tap water it's not going to and you sick or dead but if you're using untreated water which is contaminated it can.

The best thing to do is learn, research and then design your own system. Keep improving your setup until it has been perfected.

Last edited:
The EPA goes after Berkey and to their great credit Berkey sues! So, perhaps buying a few extra filters may be advised. Also Berkey sued this guy who I posted at the beginning of this thread.

August 9, 2023 – New Millennium Concepts, Ltd. (“NMCL”) and the James B. Shepherd Trust, the brand owner of Berkey Water Systems, filed a lawsuit against the EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency) this week seeking to stop its unjustified treatment and perceived persecution of Berkey Water Filters based on the EPA’s decision this year to treat Berkey Water Filters as though they are pesticides, rather than water filters.

Doug weighs in on the issue, a back door threat to homesteaders and the harms from fluoride that the filters also eliminate.

We have been using Berkey filters for last 7 years. First 3 years on municipal water with extra fluoride filters and last 4 years on the spring water we have here on the property.

What I would like to point out is that there is no water filter/treatment system available to a homeowner or an apartment dweller today that would address complete removal of all harmful particles. With that said, water filtering systems on the market are a compromise. Pick the features most important to you and understand the choice.

Today, if everything goes fine, we shall have a new whole house water filtering system running which will move our Berkey to the storage as a backup solution. Reson behind our upgrade is ability to filter not only water to drink but bathroom, shower/tub etc.

Back
Top Bottom