Bad News about Berkey water filter and other filters

Alright, with new water filer in place we ran a simple test bought on Amazon.

On the left is water treated with Berkey filter (base one no extra fluoride filter attached). On the right is our new 3 stage whole house filter. Anybody can draw their own conclusions.

IMG_0035.jpeg

Alright, with new water filer in place we ran a simple test bought on Amazon.

On the left is water treated with Berkey filter (base one no extra fluoride filter attached). On the right is our new 3 stage whole house filter. Anybody can draw their own conclusions.
May I ask what is your conclusion ?
I would have made a third test for unfiltered water.

May I ask what is your conclusion ?
I would have made a third test for unfiltered water.
Sure, I can do a test on unfiltered spring water. Even without a test, it doesn`t look as clear so particle/sediment content is pretty high.

For us, the Berkey filters water as good as our new whole house filter. But it can be used for drinkable water. Put it on the counter top and it will shine there (I just remembered they also make a small shower head filter). It does not change the water hardness, which may or may not be an issue depending on your needs. It does better job in removing carbon and alkali and that way achieving better pH. Overall, we have been using this filter for several years, so test results did not come as a surprise.

New house filter is a 3 stage, so achieving the same results as Berkey is a simple matter of replacing one of the filters for carbon based one - easy deal. Reducing water hardness and literally removing scaling is a big deal for longevity of our appliances and my wife also noticed difference in water feel in the shower and tub.

This is not directly related to the Berkey or possibly not the water filtration that has been talked about, but have any of you heard of these ozone systems? Are they something to explore that would provide decent water without a filter?

Cashido OzoneOn 10 Second Machine Ozone Water System

It does say "No need to replace filters" in the specifications section, but there is nothing about removal of metals or fluoride or anything like that.

This unit could be something that could be used with the Berkey filters, but I just don't know much about it.

Food safety issues, outbreaks of bacteria, excessive pesticides, and odors are frequent problems in the kitchen, bath, and around houses and businesses. Natural ozone is one of the most effective ways to neutralize these problems for a healthier body and environment.

This system does not require a vast array of accessories – simply hook it up to a faucet and you will have ozonated water on demand. A steady stream of ozone is injected into your tap water the moment the faucet is turned on. Turning off the faucet turns off the system. Here are just some of the uses of this premium product:

Remove Pesticides: Ozone easily breaks down and destroys pesticides on fruits, vegetables and surfaces. SGS certified. Since tap water won’t remove these chemicals by itself, the Cashido provides powerful cleaning action, even on hard to clean foods like strawberries.

Kill Bacteria: Ozone kills bacteria on surfaces and foods. Foods will last longer and surfaces will be free of harmful contaminates. Bodycote certified. You can wash your hands, toys, meats, baby bottles, dishes and more. Use ozonated water to mop the floor and wash clothing to remove bacteria from the items with which you spend the most time in close contact.

Remove Odors: Ozone breaks down odors without leaving unwanted chemicals on the surface or in the air. You can brush your teeth, clean your pets, and wash skin with this water for odor-destroying power. You can even install the system on some showers.

Keep Food Fresher Longer: By removing contaminates, you can extend the shelf life of many foods two to three times.

Back
Top Bottom