Beautiful Art: architecture, paintings, sculptures, etc

I find this painting extraordinary. Perhaps because the color ocher is one of my favorite colors. And there's that dog, so well done. His coat and the waves in it. And his eyes. His look. And then the story, because it is a story. We wonder about the young man's suffering. Is he crying? He's hurt. Is he a soldier in pain from what he has seen and done? But maybe his arm hurts and he doesn't want to show that he's in pain. And there is this extraordinary dog who is there, present, patient, who understands everything, knows everything.

"Fidelity"

Briton Riviere, 1869

1706823378907.png

What extraordinary talent to paint these 4 dogs, each so perfect, each different from the others, and their muzzles so well done, and their looks so particular. Surprise, surprise, my dog is in this painting, the little devil. It's him, I'm sure... in another life.

Beth de Loiselle b.1983. American animal portrait and floral artist.
"Sparkles, Wolly, Max and Rex" Oil on panel.

1706983572842.png

I'd like to travel back in time and be there while a painter does these kinds of paintings with dogs and cats and children. Did they have a vision engraved in their retinas or did the dog, cat and child have to see him every day to make a portrait like this? It's a mystery. Or did the painter meet them once, make a sketch, and then paint the picture?

"Safe Quarters" (1911) - John Elsley (1860-1952)

1707154059648.png

Back
Top Bottom