Best USA state to move to

Nobody has mentioned Maine as a potentially good place to live. It seems like an interesting option and I'd like to hear more about it. There are lots of organic farmers and lots of forests. Regarding farming, there's even a famous farmer who developed a technique to grow food in winter who wrote books: Eliot Coleman

Nobody has mentioned Maine as a potentially good place to live. It seems like an interesting option and I'd like to hear more about it. There are lots of organic farmers and lots of forests. Regarding farming, there's even a famous farmer who developed a technique to grow food in winter who wrote books: Eliot Coleman
You are right!
In another order of lighter priorities it is quite close to the Sheboygan Conservatory of Music.
We spent three years at the Sheboygan Conservatory of Music.

Not sure if that state would be a good option during a possible incoming ice age.

I spent several winters in rural Wisconsin, which I absolutely loved. There’s plenty of hunting and fishing, and because everyone hunts, they’re not reckless with their weapons. There’s also an abundance of firewood. Enduring sub zero cold (particularly in an ice age where spring may not come for a very long time) is a matter of personal constitution (I certainly don’t mind it) one should definitely factor in the snow plows. In the area I lived, there are residents who have plows that affix to the bumper of their trucks. Then they collect a small fee from the town. Neighbors in that region are definitely the type to pool together to keep those gas tanks filled. Everybody gets together for example to shovel the walkway outside a wheelchair bound naighbor’s house. It’s that kind of place. It may be cold as hell, but the people are warm. Something I would definitely factor in.

I spent several winters in rural Wisconsin, which I absolutely loved. There’s plenty of hunting and fishing, and because everyone hunts, they’re not reckless with their weapons. There’s also an abundance of firewood. Enduring sub zero cold (particularly in an ice age where spring may not come for a very long time) is a matter of personal constitution (I certainly don’t mind it) one should definitely factor in the snow plows. In the area I lived, there are residents who have plows that affix to the bumper of their trucks. Then they collect a small fee from the town. Neighbors in that region are definitely the type to pool together to keep those gas tanks filled. Everybody gets together for example to shovel the walkway outside a wheelchair bound naighbor’s house. It’s that kind of place. It may be cold as hell, but the people are warm. Something I would definitely factor in.

Don’t move here. We are still a blue state. And still too far north unless you’re in the driftless area.

I also question being as close as I am to both Lake Superior and Lake Michigan if there was any type of impact event close what would that look like here. Would the effect be similar to being on the coast? This is, after all, the third coast.

The cost of living is ok, violence sort of stays near the big cities like Milwaukee, meth is in the rural areas while heroin is in the cities. I would say Wisconsin is just ok, if I wasn’t living here now it wouldn’t be on my list of places to be. For being a “progressive” state we are still far behind in alternatives for health/housing/manufacturing.

My last gripe 🤣 is that if you are looking to live and sustain here after any sort of crisis procuring meat long term might be hard. The deer population is down significantly because the laws have favored the wolves. So there is no hunting season for wolves and they have decimated our deer population, at least here in the northwoods. In the lower portion of the state there are more deer but CWD is still alive and hurting populations in probably every state at this point.

Don’t move here. Lake Michigan is cool and that’s about it.

My experience with the current laws and culture of Maine is as follows:
  • Is radically/spitefully liberal and defiant to abiding by the Constitution
  • Does not provide recourse for parent rights when the marginalized parent objects to current State enforced social mental health programs
  • State funded child mutilation
  • Provides welfare (rent assistance only for state registered/aligned businesses, food stamps, free psychotropics) for minors that are not emancipated without parental notification
  • Heavy unemployment and lack of viable jobs outside of small sectors in few urban locations
  • Heavy alcohol and drug addiction problems across all demographics
  • Tax incentives for foreign owned companies that cultivate chemically injected THC based products without regulation
  • Unimpressive seafood
  • Gun rights are continuously targeted for denial of rights and criminalization of gun ownership
  • Governor will probably be swept up in corruption charges soon
But that is the people.

The landscape is inspiring.

Depending on your viewpoint, I don't think Vermont is such a great state to move to. I knew I had read that Vermont is very progressive so I looked it up. Here's what's in Wikipedia:

Unlike most other state affiliates of the Republican Party, the Vermont Republican Party tends to hold more moderate views. This is because Vermont is widely regarded as one of the most liberal and progressive states in the nation.[125] Vermont Republicans also tend to be more anti-Trumpist than Republicans in other states; indeed, Republican Governor Phil Scott voted for Democratic nominee Joe Biden in the 2020 presidential election[126][127][128] and acknowledged his victory
And, yes, I know it's Wikipedia, but I think what they have there is fairly accurate.

Back
Top Bottom