Big surge of energy when on the verge of sleep?

Carl

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi there, I've been experiencing this phenomenon for about 2 years now but recently it is getting stronger and more frequent. Basically I am lying in bed drifting off to sleep, when I start to feel this force building in me (I don't know whether it comes from me or outside). I will do my best to explain the feeling but this is going to be difficult.

First of all my head starts feeling much heavier, not just in a physical sense though, it just feels charged with some kind of energy making it more dense. Along with this I also feel a strange deafness (Like when you have a big yawn and your hearing fades for a moment), followed by a building ringing in my ears, to the point where it's very loud. By this point I am completely awake, trying my best to stay objective and not let fear paralyze me.

Then as it builds I get a strange feeling of motion, like I'm traveling at speed whilst lay in bed. I am not paralyzed and I can end the experience at will by just mentally blocking the feeling and 'coming out of it', but I usually want to go 'into' it more to investigate (despite my unease). As the feeling builds, so does my anxiety, and it eventually gets to a point where I have to snap out of it and come back to normal, as I really don't know what I'm dealing with. The feeling this gives me is not one of pure terror or bliss, but more like fear of the unknown. It is also rather uncomfortable with a kind of harsh tingly feel to the whole experience.

After I wake myself up (sweating and with adrenaline pumping), if I put my head back on the pillow I can feel the energy building again, washing over me exactly like waves and taking my hearing into that 'yawn-like' state. It really is very similar to being submerged by waves in the sea. I usually have to stay up for a while until the feelings completely fade, and even then I have a nervousness about going back to sleep.

I am especially scared of this feeling if I am alone in the house, and I have much less courage to investigate it (having somebody else there just makes me feel like I have some kind of anchor and won't get washed away by this energy). The other night it was such a strong feeling that I thought I was seriously in over my head (even thought I might be being abducted!) so just woke myself up and sat in bed for 20 minutes before falling asleep soundly (from what I remember).

I am nowhere near experienced enough to put a label on what this is.. could it be psychic attack, approach of the wave, work of higher centres (The past two times it has happened after practicing EE)? I really don't know. I know my description is not amazing but perhaps somebody could help provide insight, if you've had/heard of similar experiences?

What you describe, Carlise, sounds to me rather like a case of 'hypnagogic paralysis' Have you read the Wikipedia page about Sleep Paralysis? I know you said that you are not actually paralysed, but the symptoms you describe do sound very like sleep paralysis, which can also occur as the person is falling asleep.

Carlise said:
First of all my head starts feeling much heavier, [ . . . ] Along with this I also feel a strange deafness [ . . . ] followed by a building ringing in my ears, to the point where it's very loud. By this point I am completely awake, trying my best to stay objective and not let fear paralyze me.

Then as it builds I get a strange feeling of motion, like I'm traveling at speed whilst lay in bed. I am not paralyzed and I can end the experience at will by just mentally blocking the [ . . . ] As the feeling builds, so does my anxiety, [ . . . ] It is also rather uncomfortable with a kind of harsh tingly feel to the whole experience.

I used to experience the same phenomenon as a young teenager, especially if I slept more than necessary on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Sleep paralysis can also be caused by poor diet. Have you been able to read through the forum thread Life Without Bread? Eating a low carb/high fat diet often results in the resolution of all sorts of problems – physical, mental and emotional.

Endymion said:
What you describe, Carlise, sounds to me rather like a case of 'hypnagogic paralysis' Have you read the Wikipedia page about Sleep Paralysis? I know you said that you are not actually paralysed, but the symptoms you describe do sound very like sleep paralysis, which can also occur as the person is falling asleep.

Carlise said:
First of all my head starts feeling much heavier, [ . . . ] Along with this I also feel a strange deafness [ . . . ] followed by a building ringing in my ears, to the point where it's very loud. By this point I am completely awake, trying my best to stay objective and not let fear paralyze me.

Then as it builds I get a strange feeling of motion, like I'm traveling at speed whilst lay in bed. I am not paralyzed and I can end the experience at will by just mentally blocking the [ . . . ] As the feeling builds, so does my anxiety, [ . . . ] It is also rather uncomfortable with a kind of harsh tingly feel to the whole experience.

I used to experience the same phenomenon as a young teenager, especially if I slept more than necessary on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Sleep paralysis can also be caused by poor diet. Have you been able to read through the forum thread Life Without Bread? Eating a low carb/high fat diet often results in the resolution of all sorts of problems – physical, mental and emotional.

Yes I seem to get lots of symptoms sleep paralysis but without actually being paralysed, as I can withdraw from the feeling and come back to full waking state each time. It doesn't seem to be particularly threatening, it is just unfamiliar and very intense.

As for the diet, I have gone completely paleo now (though I cannot afford organic/grass fed products on my current budget) and it has only got stronger each time. I think there must be another cause

Anyway if it happens again I will try to get more info on it and report back, it's certainly interesting if nothing else.

Carlise said:
As for the diet, I have gone completely paleo now (though I cannot afford organic/grass fed products on my current budget) and it has only got stronger each time. I think there must be another cause

Just to cover all possible angles: since you can't afford organic animal products, do you take enough fish oils/omega 3 supplements? Meat from the supermarket contains next to zero omega 3s, which are so important for our mental health as well. If you are not taking them now, I would suggest you start with about 6 capsules a day, throughout the day, as in 2-3 in the morning and 2-3 in the afternoon. Fwiw.

Alana said:
Carlise said:

Just to cover all possible angles: since you can't afford organic animal products, do you take enough fish oils/omega 3 supplements? Meat from the supermarket contains next to zero omega 3s, which are so important for our mental health as well. If you are not taking them now, I would suggest you start with about 6 capsules a day, throughout the day, as in 2-3 in the morning and 2-3 in the afternoon. Fwiw.

Hi, currently I take 'Higher Nature essential omegas' (3,6,7 and 9) and I take four a day. In four capsules there is:
EPA 680mg
DPA 480mg
GLA 180mg
Omega 7 36mg
Omega 9 112mg

I have not yet done enough research so I am not sure whether to increase the dosage of these caps or get different ones, as they contain omega 6 (although there is a high omega3/omega6 ratio). Maybe just a straight fish oil supplement would be better?

Carlise said:
Alana said:
Carlise said:

Hi, currently I take 'Higher Nature essential omegas' (3,6,7 and 9) and I take four a day. In four capsules there is:
EPA 680mg
DPA 480mg
GLA 180mg
Omega 7 36mg
Omega 9 112mg

I have not yet done enough research so I am not sure whether to increase the dosage of these caps or get different ones, as they contain omega 6 (although there is a high omega3/omega6 ratio). Maybe just a straight fish oil supplement would be better?

Of what I understand so far, it might be best to get straight fish oils in capsules, with a high EPA and DPA dose. If you are getting only the above with four capsules, it means that the EPA and DPA dose is not enough. And you are probably paying for omega 6,7, and 9, which you don't really need. Our body is able to produce omega 9s , and the best source of omega 6s is primrose oil.

Again, this is my understanding so far. I am sure someone will correct me if I am off.

Ok, here's a good thread about info on Omega 3 & 6, and I also found this interesting article in the Mail Online:

Is your Omega-3 fish oil supplement any good - or a load of old codswallop?

It's written from a living-in-europe perspective, but the info seems sound.

And if you search for "omega 3" on sott, you'd get a lot of info there too :)

What I think is that your assemblage point (from the Carlos Castaneda books) is moving. That's why you hear the buzzing in your ears and you feel like your moving back and forth, It also explains (to me anyway) why you perceive/feel "waves of energy." Don't be scared though, if you can learn to control it maybe you can have amazing adventures through inner and outer SPACE.

Yes, I'd try the Omega 3s exclusively since you might be overloading on the 9s and others, with your diet and the additional ones in the capsules you are using.

Laura said:
Yes, I'd try the Omega 3s exclusively since you might be overloading on the 9s and others, with your diet and the additional ones in the capsules you are using.

Yes, I agree with your experience being diet related and you might be over-doing it. After I went paleo I had a couple of nights with sensations similar to your descriptions. Mine were an overwhelming feeling of energy and inner strength which I put down to a change in the balance of chemicals in my body, possibly switching to ketosis. It didn't feel frightening, quite the contrary, I'd describe it as feeling very primal.

I'd agree with Chickenmales in that you needn't be scared (but not to the space references). You will be able to control it and it will dissipate as your body adjusts to its new fuel and you learn to manage your supplement intake.

Back
Top Bottom