blue light blockers

987baz said:
This is a long article but worth the read if you want to understand the light spectrum better, it also has a way to make your own blueblockers at the end.

It compared 3 of the most used blueblockers and gives a rundown of what frequencies they actually block. See attachment for one of the comparisons

_https://medium.com/@jasonlauritzen/blue-light-and-health-plus-how-to-make-your-own-blue-blocking-glasses-1a3d2694ad60#.alj4mnuo4
Funny, I was going to post this article up on this thread this morning :P. It certainly is very thorough!

Funny, I was going to post this article up on this thread this morning :P. It certainly is very thorough!

haha, great minds think alike :P

I had a look at the Gunnar Optik's range, mentioned in the article, seems they're gaming glasses, pretty cheap alternative at around $70, look a lot nicer than the Uvex ones I currently use. I got in touch with a company that sells the Blutech lenses here in Oz, $265 (aus dollars) for the lenses then, additional for the frames, so quite expensive. I think I would like some clear lenses for work and the orange tinted ones for home,

Hi Keyhole, there's a company here that sells glasses that block blue light. Since their lenses don't appear to be yellow/orange, I asked them why and whether their lenses block all blue light. They mailed back saying: "Our glasses are not as yellow as the glasses from the past, because we use newer techniques so our lenses don't have much of a color. In addition, it is true that our glasses only block the harmful blue light, not ALL the blue light. Not all blue light is bad for you! In higher wavelengths, blue light has a positive effect on your alertness, mood and memory. If you would block 100% blue light, you would only get drowsy. This can be used both during the day and at night."

Their lenses have a blueish glow (I attached a photo). Do you think their glasses would be worthy to get besides the Uvex glasses? I've noticed that even with f.lux and turning Brightness of the screen to 0% (I don't have any blue light blockers yet), it's still negatively affecting my eye(s) over time, so I think some extra protection would help me!

Attachments

• Example picture.jpg
    Example picture.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 82
Oxajil said:
Hi Keyhole, there's a company here that sells glasses that block blue light. Since their lenses don't appear to be yellow/orange, I asked them why and whether their lenses block all blue light. They mailed back saying: "Our glasses are not as yellow as the glasses from the past, because we use newer techniques so our lenses don't have much of a color. In addition, it is true that our glasses only block the harmful blue light, not ALL the blue light. Not all blue light is bad for you! In higher wavelengths, blue light has a positive effect on your alertness, mood and memory. If you would block 100% blue light, you would only get drowsy. This can be used both during the day and at night."

Their lenses have a blueish glow (I attached a photo). Do you think their glasses would be worthy to get besides the Uvex glasses? I've noticed that even with f.lux and turning Brightness of the screen to 0% (I don't have any blue light blockers yet), it's still negatively affecting my eye(s) over time, so I think some extra protection would help me!

Hi Oxajil,

Those glasses look like many of the others that have sprung up over the past couple of years. For daytime use, they are useful for protecting the eye. Its hard to say without seeing the nano-meter specs, but I would imagine that they are blocking the shorter wavelengths, so that is what you are looking for (for daytime use)! I think they will be useful for looking at a computer screen. In the daytime at work, I am under horrible fluorescent lights and I wear a pair similar to the ones in that picture.

For night-time use, again they will help to protect the eye. In terms of promoting sleep and aiding circadian rhythmicity, they probably wont make much difference. Unfortunately, all blue and even some green frequencies do negatively impact melatonin release. But if they are the only ones you have access to, then they are better than nothing :).

Keyhole said:
Hi Oxajil,

Those glasses look like many of the others that have sprung up over the past couple of years. For daytime use, they are useful for protecting the eye. Its hard to say without seeing the nano-meter specs, but I would imagine that they are blocking the shorter wavelengths, so that is what you are looking for (for daytime use)! I think they will be useful for looking at a computer screen. In the daytime at work, I am under horrible fluorescent lights and I wear a pair similar to the ones in that picture.

For night-time use, again they will help to protect the eye. In terms of promoting sleep and aiding circadian rhythmicity, they probably wont make much difference. Unfortunately, all blue and even some green frequencies do negatively impact melatonin release. But if they are the only ones you have access to, then they are better than nothing :).

Thank you for your response! Yeah, at least it's something. Their website says that altogether their glasses block 50% of all blue light: All blue light below 400 nm (UV light) is blocked. Between 400 and 450 nm most of the blue light is filtered. And between 450 and 470 nm, it blocks slightly under 40% of the blue light. I guess it could be worth a try. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and see how it goes :)

I basically have the same kind of blue light blocking lenses for the daytime. It's better than nothing, and I can't really get yellow tinted lenses because of my job. I do wear the the yellow Uvex ones at night for an hour or two before bed, plus I use flux and have my phone set to dim at night. That seems like a good balance.

I just remembered that I was asked about the lenses I had in my blue blocking glasses (which look a bit like prescription lenses).

I have attached an image of my collection here:

The 450nm are helpful for daytime exposure to fluorescent/LED blue light sources to protect the retina from oxidation.

The 500nm are useful in early/mid evening, and the 600nm are used for 1-2 hours before bed time.

The 600nm block blue AND green - both of which have been shown to wreck melatonin synthesis. The lower nanometre ranges block most of the blue, but not the green.

For anyone who wants to purchase these to get them fit into frames, I recommend getting your optician to purchase ZEISS lenses.

Below is the source with information on the lenses, and also the light spectrum which is blocked:

As you can see above, the "F 580" will is effective at blocking all frequencies below 580nm, which should provide significant protection and promote circadian normalization.

Here is the website: F 60-90 and F 540-580

I got new glasses recently and with blue blocker 'tint' on them, but they don't block blue or purple. You can see a blue-violet light in the periphery sometimes or if you look through them at an angle. I have some of the real tinted orange goggle type glasses that block all of the blue. So I wonder how much these lenses are really blocking. That being said, I did notice that I get tired a little earlier since having these new glasses.

Just to let everyone know, BluBLOX have a 25%-off sale running from November 23rd to December 3rd.

They make a robust pair of glasses which block both blue AND green. I personally have these, and have good results with people who I recommend them to. They also offer prescription lenses. You just send them your prescription type, and they will make a pair for you.

I recently made a video on why they are essential for sleep - it is a REALLY simple method to improve sleep significantly. I have had clients completely come off their sleep medications from using these babies!

Windows 10 also has an adjustable blue light filter built in too. You can access it by right clicking on the desktop -> night light settings -> turn on now.

Thank you for highlighting this product Keyhole I ordered some after seeing your recommendation and they arrived earlier today. I got the Blulite ones for computer work. Trying them out now. :-)

Just to let everyone know, BluBLOX have a 25%-off sale running from November 23rd to December 3rd.

They make a robust pair of glasses which block both blue AND green. I personally have these, and have good results with people who I recommend them to. They also offer prescription lenses. You just send them your prescription type, and they will make a pair for you.

I recently made a video on why they are essential for sleep - it is a REALLY simple method to improve sleep significantly. I have had clients completely come off their sleep medications from using these babies!

I noticed in the latest JP Sears video, he recommends blublox and blublox has offered a 15% discount if the code 'JP' is mentioned.

I bought glasses with red color lenses and another one with orange lenses, at alibaba (fr.aliexpress.com) shipping fees included,
for only 3€ each !
example on this photored glasses.PNG

I noticed in the latest JP Sears video, he recommends blublox and blublox has offered a 15% discount if the code 'JP' is mentioned.

They also had a 25% sale which ended just yesterday- sorry I should've posted it here sooner. If you subscribe to the email updates they usually let you know when the sales are on.

I have two pairs of Blublox, one dark orange for evening times, and a clear pair for when I am at work or on the computer during the day. It could be partially placebo, but I tend to think they have helped. I used to find being on the computer or under bright strobe lights would make my eyes sore, tired or dry by the end of the day, this has reduced considerably since wearing the glasses.

I never had much trouble getting to sleep so I didn't know if the orange ones were going to make much of a difference. I have noticed feeling calmer in the evenings and if I don't wear them on the odd occasion, my mind seems a little more active and I have to do pipe breath to get off to sleep. An added bonus is that they have all sorts of funky shaped glasses :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom