Body by Science HIIT / TUL App

Great little app @Mark!
1. Is there a way to also display the weight (perhaps superimposed) along with the time?

I'm not sure, that chart is via a 3rd party Javascript charting tool (Highcharts). I'll check if that can be done.

Great little app @Mark!
2. I've been trying to understand what the arrows beside the exercise mean exactly in the below screen cap. It seems like it is suggesting whether to go up or down in weight depending on how much time was spent on an exercise.

It's supposed to be an indication of whether you increased in duration over the previous session. But for some reason it's not parsing the history of results correctly. I'm not sure that's useful since weight may vary over time causing duration to go up or down. I may remove it entirely, I'll think it over.

Great little app @Mark!
3. There seems to be a bug where the timer doesn't stop for some reason. It has happened only a few times but basically when you press 'stop' after completing the exercise it keeps counting.

I've experienced that too. I think it may have something to do with the phone screen sensitivity. For example on my phone if my fingers are too dry I have to press hard on anything to register a tap, so I assumed it was due to the capacitive screen sensitivity along with the added glass screen protector on the phone. I will double check the code to be sure it's not a bug.

It's supposed to be an indication of whether you increased in duration over the previous session.

Ah, okay - that makes sense. Well, if that's what it's doing, I kind of agree that its not that useful since you'll know if you've increased or decreased by looking at the chart when you are doing the exercise.

Version 1.0.6 should be available in the next hour (or thereabouts) on the Play store.

Just an FYI: I can't make one chart with two overlays that show time and load because the chart tool automatically decides the scale as seen on the left side of the chart. So for example, if you're using 250lbs for 90 seconds then the max on the scale becomes 250, or the highest number among all chart plots - different people's will be higher or lower. Any big difference between weight and time ( another example: 400lbs and 60 seconds) would make reading the time value hard on small phone screen.

So I added an extra chart instead, and if you view the chart as a bar chart (instead of line chart) then it may be far easier to see what's going on, yet another example "on this date my weight was the same and my time went up, on that date my weight went up and my time went down" etc.

So for v1.0.6 I did this stuff:

* Moved charts below the exercise timer.
* Added a new chart so there are now two: Time chart and Load chart.
* Made the statistics results table show in reverse chronological order, newest first - descending date order.
* Replaced red and green up/down arrow colors with a static color.

I didn't have time to find a way to add extra exercises, I did check into it though, I'd need to change the data storage a bit. At some point I'll try to do that.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do another version and switch the underlying CSS and JS stuff to different technology.

If there are any particular exercises that you think would be good for all to have in the list (optional use of course) then let me know and I'll look into adding them. I'll also try to integrate a way to add your exercises naming them whatever you want.

If there are any particular exercises that you think would be good for all to have in the list (optional use of course) then let me know and I'll look into adding them. I'll also try to integrate a way to add your exercises naming them whatever you want.

A couple off the top of my head:
  • Bent over row
  • Squat
  • Pull-up

Don't install the new v1.0.6, it's acting weird on my phone, not sure why. I'm just about done with the new architecture, that should be ready this later today or Monday (Aug 27) some time.

Ok I released v2.0, it appears to work on my phone without any problems. :whistle:

Changes:

- Re-engineered underlying code to replace jQuery Mobile with Bootstrap 4.x - this architecture is far easier to develop with! (If you're a Web developer you might be interested to know that this entire app is just one HTML page with several divs that serve as content sections that are hidden or shown depending on what you are doing. Very simple user interface stuff).

- Added ability to add your own exercises :-D

- Made the start/stop buttons larger.

- Removed theme colors from the settings. It's all blue now. I may add color choices again later.

- Removed the splash screen. I might add it back later too, but for now it's gone.

- Misc bug fixes and code streamlining.

- Note that because I ditched jQuery Mobile there's no back button support, meaning the back button in your phone will close the app. To navigate inside the app use the icons in the top bar.

- Also note that I forgot to make the top nav bar stick to the top of the screen so it'll scroll off the page now, but I will re-stick it to the top in v2.0.1.

Last edited:
Ok I released v2.0, it appears to work on my phone without any problems. :whistle:

I was trying update mine to try it out but I get a message that says 'Your device isn't compatible with this version" :huh:

I've got a Samsung S6 edge, pretty much stock (not rooted or anything).

I was trying update mine to try it out but I get a message that says 'Your device isn't compatible with this version" :huh:

I've got a Samsung S6 edge, pretty much stock (not rooted or anything).

Oooops. Google wanted me to add some tagging to the app for minimum Android version and target Android version. Their wording makes it somewhat unclear what to do and apparently I messed that up - the idea was to tag it as backward compatible with older versions of Android and at the same time meet their requirement to tag it as compatible with the latest Android.

I think I have it adjusted correctly now in the newly released v2.0.1. Let me know if you can install it.

Yep, it works.... thanks for the update! It looks great and so far the features seem to work ok. Can't wait to try it out next workout! :headbanger:

I've retired the HIIT / TUL app, it's still in the Google Play store, but I'm not updating it any further. Too much of a pain to do that, and it has limited device support.

Instead, I created a web site that is basically the same as the app with some better features. Anyone can access it and sign up for an account to track their workouts. A nice thing about the site is that it's usable on nearly any mobile device with an Internet connection, and you can customize the list of exercises for your routine, and add new exercises with any name you want.

I've been using for several months, it appears to work without problems. 🏋️‍♀️ 🙂

It's at the URL below:

Back
Top Bottom