Boredom and my experience with meditation

DerekFalken

A Disturbance in the Force
Hello Folks,

I thought I'd make my first post and relate a personal experience I had a few weeks ago. I'd like to get as much feedback from you on what you think it means and if anyone has had similar experiences.

I'll start with why I decided to embark on this journey of discovery.

I've noticed a great difficulty in my ability to concentrate lately, and this has been going on for a number of years. Not only that, I've had an inability to stop thinking. There is an internal dialogue, my voice if you will, that constantly babbles. It babbles about conversations I've had, things I've read, things I've seen, and thoughts and memories.

Sometimes I'll drift into a nostalgic frame of mind, thinking about past relationships, events, and so on. Other times I might lapse into thinking about the future.

All in all, sometimes I've been unable to control where these states of mind are going. I never used to have this problem. I began looking into mental states and for some reason found myself wanting to learn more about boredom.

It seems to be the least understood and researched aspect of our psychology. Defining what boredom is and how it arises is more difficult than it might seem. But I drew some useful conclusions.

Boredom might just be the impetus for everything we do. Talking to friends and colleagues, I find that most people will do just about anything to avoid being bored: including myself. I read some material on buddhist meditation, and one article said that boredom is really the key to attaining higher states of consciousness.

By not doing; not thinking; we escape the prison of reality that we dwell in. By focusing on not thinking; not doing; we can stop this internal dialogue, this incessant babbler that dwells within us. I learned about a method for meditating and tried it a few times. I was completely unprepared for the experiences, and I'd like to share them. I'm sure many of you are already aware of what I'm going to describe, but in case some of you aren't, I'll refrain from expurgation.

I learned a concept called "universal love-kindness," used to begin and end meditations. It begins with "giving yourself the gift of happiness." It is a series of statements:

1. I give myself the gift of happiness. Let me have no worries, no stress, and no problems that I cannot overcome. Let me have no evil or harmful thoughts.

Then you extend this statement to others, starting with your loved ones, friends, etc., picturing their faces as you wish the same, repeating the statement, for each of them. You then extend this statement to those who are indifferent about you, then on to those you consider adversaries or obstructive in some way. I didn't understand this step, until upon more reading: "If your enemies are filled with love and happiness, they would cease to be your enemies."

I have to point out that this was a profound revelation for me.

The first time I tried it, I first began to feel light-headed. This feeling increased until I felt that my whole body was light and intangible in some way--almost incorporeal. It shocked me and I stopped right there, for the feelings were too intense.

I tried again, and this time after I felt light and ethereal, I continued. I began to see flashes of light--of different colors and intensities. This was so bizarre that I was overwhelmed and thought that something must be wrong, and I quit for the night.

The next time I tried this, I didn't have the intensity as before, but a new change began "happening." My chest tingled--it felt as though someone was pouring a liquid into my heart, or my chest, and it was healing me in some way. It's difficult to describe.

I felt as though a golden light was shining from within. I continued to authentically try to feel love-kindness for all the creatures on the earth, and in fact the universe, as suggested: trying to visualize all life in the universe was a very mind-stretching thing to do for me.

At some point time seemed to freeze, pause, or somehow cease to exist for me. It was a very unsettling feeling at first, but as I continued, maintaining my focus and trying to radiate this love-kindness, it felt as though I was being filled with something.

I began laughing out loud, for no apparent reason at nothing in particular. It was a deep laughter, completely carefree, like nothing I have ever experienced. I tingled from head to toe, and quite suddenly the feeling of lightness and etherealness left me and I felt absolutely solid. It was as if I was no longer a person, but perhaps rock or earth--immovable and absolutely still. Solid.

I'll stop here and ask a few questions that perhaps some of you can shed light on.

What happened to me? The lights, the feelings...

What is the meaning behind my experiences? Where did those feelings come from? Is this a natural part of the meditation?

Any insights are well-recieved.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Derek Falken

DF said:
What happened to me? The lights, the feelings...

What is the meaning behind my experiences? Where did those feelings come from? Is this a natural part of the meditation?

Any insights are well-recieved.
It means the Matrix has you...

Derek, most definately you'll need to read at least Wave Series, if you want to find answers you are looking for. I see it was already suggested to you in the other thread you started.

If you are really honest in your search, stock up on cookies and tea, maybe coffe and cigarettes and..read man. Have a nice ride ;)

p.s.

But while we are at it..

DerekFalken said:
I continued to authentically try to feel love-kindness for all the creatures on the earth, and in fact the universe, as suggested
Did you include for example rapists and murderers in your feeling of "love-kindness"? If you did I wonder why would you do that...

Thanks for the advice--I'll be looking the Wave series this week.

To answer your question: I didn't exclude anyone--the reason being, if by "radiating" this type of positive energy I can help those poor souls (like murderers and rapists) find peace, happiness, and release from their burdens, perhaps they would no longer walk the paths of evil when a new path--one they've secretly sought--is open to them.

There is a quote I read recently that has stuck with me. It's a Sufi saying.

"Rise from time and space. Set the world aside. Become a world within yourself."

Good Vibes to You,

Derek Falken

DerekFalken said:
To answer your question: I didn't exclude anyone--the reason being, if by "radiating" this type of positive energy I can help those poor souls (like murderers and rapists) find peace, happiness, and release from their burdens, perhaps they would no longer walk the paths of evil when a new path--one they've secretly sought--is open to them.
How do you know these murderers and rapists want your help? How do you know they aren't at peace and happy? What if they don't want your "positive energy" and it makes them so angry to receive it that they go out and murder and rape someone else?

Derek, you may be wondering why this 'sending out of love and light' attitude is getting short shrift here, and you might not expect to be given a hard time over such a stance.

Fact is, 'sending out love and light' is a very much misunderstood concept.

If you have a look at this Laura's response to aristar, on this page, you might find it a useful explanation:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=4343&p=2

DerekFalken said:
Hi Derek,

As others have said, you need to read The Wave and other articles on our sites. You'll find that the idea that we should radiate positive energy towards 'those poor souls' is not an idea that will find fertile soil here. The above statement is full of assumptions. Let me show you what I mean to give you an idea of how we work here.

First, how do you know that by doing as you suggest above it will have a positive effect on these individuals? Where did you learn this idea? Do you have any proof that it is true? This is your first assumption.

How do you know that these people are secretly seeking the new path? Do you think it is possible that there are individuals who have chosen the dark path for reasons of their own? That these individuals have no secret desire to be on any other path? This is a second assumption.

It is normal to go through a period when such ideas sound "right". It is part of our wishful thinking. We would like for the world to function this way. We would like it if bad things could go away by radiating positive energy. But look at world history. Don't you think there were millions of people radiating positive energy in their own ways so that WWII wouldn't start, especially for those who had seen the destruction of WWI?

Weren't there a lot of people radiating positive energy to keep Bush out of Iraq?

It didn't work. It never does.

But there is an urge in us to wish it were so.

Unfortunately, the facts don't back it up. So then what? Do you stick to a feel-good belief that doesn't work, convincing yourself that something is happening on an invisible plane, or do you look reality in the face? That is what we are attempting to understand here. When all the philosophies, religious teachings, how to books, bestsellers, ad well known "teachers" have been shown to not have a clue, what do you do then?

Henry

DerekFalken said:
Boredom might just be the impetus for everything we do. Talking to friends and colleagues, I find that most people will do just about anything to avoid being bored: including myself. I read some material on buddhist meditation, and one article said that boredom is really the key to attaining higher states of consciousness.
Just a suggestion. I wouldn’t concern myself with “higher states of consciousness” because you are presupposing that you are already conscious to begin with. Question is, are you (conscious)? Next question is, what does it mean to be conscious? There is much “stuff,” that is, there is still much “undiscovered country” inside of you that is lost. There are needs in us (that have their origins in childhood) that we have suppressed at some point (because of childhood pain) and we are unconscious of these needs and these needs have become the sources of many of our present desires that drive us thru life. Possibly, you unconsciously seek to fulfill these needs and this is what might be driving you into your “love and light” thinking. Discover this undiscovered country inside of you. Become more conscious of this and then you can begin there. You might want to read the psychology books ‘Trapped in a mirror,’ The Narcissistic Family’ on the book list here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=4718 including the ‘The Drama Of The Gifted Child' by Alice Miller. I strongly recommend them.

Remember, critical and proper thinking is essential. Without it (as starsailor said) the matrix has you, And to paraphrase a saying of Mao, I think he said something about that when the lion leaves the mountain then the monkeys will become king. Don’t give in to your “inner monkeys” who think they can love unconditionally and who equate “feeling good” with higher states of consciousness. The love and light stuff was designed to sabotage your common sense and escape you into escapism. Truly, Knowledge and common sense is the king.

Clearly I have many concepts to understand and reading to do before posting further.

Thanks everyone, and I'm sorry I got off on the wrong foot.

No more good vibes,

Derek Falken

Hello Derek!

Maybe it will help you understand if you know what the "New Age Industry" is and does. From the Cassiopaea Esoteric Glossary:
[...]
The New Age movement can be seen as a maneuver designed to preempt mass awakening to this state of matters.

Thus a sort of spiritual awakening was turned into a sleeping pill by the promotion of memes such as 'you create your own reality,' 'automatic planetary ascension,' 'being rescued by aliens,' etc. many concepts which probably have some basis in fact were twisted out of context and propagated to the masses to satisfy a searching spirit. So it has come to pass that much of the New Age is an exercise in wishful thinking, or as Gurdjieff would say, 'dreaming about waking up.'
Additionally, regarding henry's response,
henry said:
It is normal to go through a period when such ideas sound "right". It is part of our wishful thinking. We would like for the world to function this way. We would like it if bad things could go away by radiating positive energy. But look at world history. Don't you think there were millions of people radiating positive energy in their own ways so that WWII wouldn't start, especially for those who had seen the destruction of WWI?
you may want to read Lauras post (#16) in this forum thread: Review: Spiritual School of Ascension:

Laura said:
Let me share some observations on the subject of "Ascension" extracted from Secret History.

I typed the word “ascension” along with the word “spiritual” into a popular search engine. It returned 115,000 pages for my edification. This led me to ask: Why, at this present moment in history, is so much attention being focused on this subject?

[...]
Don't be overwhelmed by the extensive volume of information here. Take your time & happy reading!

DerekFalken said:
When we do this - radiating love and light - we set up an etheric connection with those we are sending our love and light to, imho, and this is a two-way flow. I have personal experience of this, back in my days of love and light and newage, when I tried (before coming across Laura and the Cassiopaeans, I might add) to send unconditional love to George W Bush. It was like pouring all my energy into a black hole that threatened to eat me alive. It was the last time I ever tried this exercise, and I certainly did not want any kind of connection with the entitity I perceived GWB to be.

edited for clarity 09 01 08

Peam said:
DerekFalken said:
How do you know these murderers and rapists want your help? How do you know they aren't at peace and happy? What if they don't want your "positive energy" and it makes them so angry to receive it that they go out and murder and rape someone else?
Well, the murderers and rapist who are psychopathic likely are at peace and quite happy since they're unable to experience internal conflict. So if we're sending them more energy to be 'at peace' they're probably more than willing to accept it...and use as they see fit. Pretty horrifying when you consider all this energy being sent to the worlds psychopaths only to be used to devastate our world.

Dabrowski said:
The majority of the mentally retarded, as well as those with psychopathic mental structure, do not experience inner conflicts, though they are often involved in external conflicts.

<< "as Gurdjieff would say, 'dreaming about waking up.'" >>

Yes, it is possibly the New Age technique most used to disempower people who might otherwise DO something to help those asking for help -- this notion that closing your eyes and beaming out energy is somehow better. I figure, if you were starving, what would want, a sandwich or a love bolt? The answer is clear. Trouble is, actually DOing something to help others is work, and not so easy as imagining you're saving the world with your mind.

I was looking for anti-wishful-thinking maxims like "no pain, no gain" in languages other than English, and found the Chinese saying, "In dream, one may walk a long, long way, but upon awakening, is still in bed."

AdPop said:
I was looking for anti-wishful-thinking maxims like "no pain, no gain" in languages other than English
Have you found more?

There is a old saying in German,
"Nothing is for free. Not even death -- for he takes your life."
Or,
"Always beautiful is never beautiful."
Those simple, easy-to-grasp truths are indispensable to have in one's repertoire, osit.

Back
Top Bottom