Brain - how You do it?

Michal

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Hi,

I found brain in meat shop!!! Do not know what to do with that... just have idea to fry it :) on coconut oil.

What is Your recipes? Have You found out some tasty way of doing a brain?

For people reading this and living in Trojmiasto area. There are two places which I found that are selling organ meat for example kidneys, lungs, hearts (beef and pork), liver (beef and pork).

1. Hala targowa - Gdańsk, http://www.halatargowa.pl/kontakt.html
2. Hala targowa - Gdynia (Jana z Kolna street)

I do not know where they take their supply from. Need to investigate more where are pigs and cows taken from. Anyway for the time being those two places are exceptional because from organ meat in other shops mostly one can buy liver and this is also not very common and not every day. Sometimes there are also chicken hearts and stomachs which looks like are taken by dog's keepers.

I was supprised of the price because 1 kg of brain (pork) costed 5 PLN which is approx. 2 USD.

So what is Your recipe for a brain?

You can fry it (in coconut oil, as you said, or lard, ghee, or butter -- if you can tolerate it). I haven't had it in years, but if you make the outside crispy, it's actually quite good. Although in the past, I've had it dipped in scrambled eggs, which is tastier and makes the outside crispier, FWIW.

The way i prepared brain(calves) was deep frying in tallow on a pan, moderate temperature, until it became crunchy, with some turmeric and sea salt.
Before preparation, i soaked it in salted water overnight to get rid of blood clots and dryed it with kitchen mop.
It can also be done in the oven flavored with some tolerable spices.

Although in the past, I've had it dipped in scrambled eggs, which is tastier and makes the outside crispier, FWIW.

It's probably delicious with eggs, didn't tried yet.

lux12 said:
Before preparation, i soaked it in salted water overnight to get rid of blood clots and dryed it with kitchen mop.

:huh:

:scared:

mkan21l.jpg

:shock:

Brain is eaten in Turkey as a salad

We use sheep brains. Boil the brain or brains in water, adding some salt and vinegar. About 20 minutes will be enough. In the meantime put cold water in a bowl and add some ice cubes. After the brain is done drain and transfer into the icy water bowl. Peel the skin off. Then put in a plate, slice add lemon juice, olive oil and chopped parsley and some salt and black pepper. You can also add some sliced red onions.

hi,

the title of the thread initially made me think it is a message on how great the brain is: "how do you do it , brain - all the complex thinking, interacting an still taking care of so many basic physical functions?"

It made me laugh out loid when I realized th real content - how easy misunderstanding is with written language only!

In the tradittional Viennese kitchen we take off the brains skin, chop the brain, fry it in lard, add egg white to the mix, and at the table we add the yolk and mix it in. most recipes have fried onion dices in it, too - if you like that, you can fry them a litlle before adding the brain and then just do the rest the way discribed above.

here's a link to a recipe (german): _http://www.stadtbekannt.at/de/essen-und-trinken/rezepte/wiener-k_che---hirn-mit-ei.html

hope you enjoy it!

greetings!
momo

Back
Top Bottom