Breaking the Habits of Western Thinking: Cause and Effect Is Not a Thing

luc

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I found this essay quite remarkable - I would perhaps quibble with a few things, but overall I found it fascinating and super-clear:

Breaking the Habits of Western Thinking: Cause and Effect Is Not a Thing

The second of my reader request pieces. I hesitated publishing this one because it is more Christian and theological in nature, as it originated in a sermon I gave, but it's Holy Week.

For most of us, we are so deeply immersed in our own culture that it is hard for us to distance ourselves enough from our own situation to assess all the ways in which the west influences us. In some ways, this is a good thing. Detachment from one’s own culture has its price. It is necessary, though, when we begin to make attempts at understanding our time, trying to figure out what is happening within our society. For the most part we are largely unaware of the cultural software, so to speak (which is a very modern western way of talking about culture for what it’s worth), that our society runs on. The deeper you bore down, to the myths and symbols that drive us as a society, we often find that they are so much a part of the way we think and act that we are blind to the idea that the things we take so for granted are not really the way things are for everyone, everywhere in all times and places. Things we think of as “universals” (like the idea of “universals” for instance) are often just part of our western way of thinking which we project onto everyone, assuming they think like us. Instead, they are merely western ways of thinking. One such pattern, one of our root ideas here in the west, is that of cause and effect.

As the west began to mature in the period of the Enlightenment, various ideas began to come together and solidify around scientific and rationalist ways of thinking, including ideas like philosophical materialism, that is, the claim that there is nothing other than matter. Pure materialist philosophy has largely been discredited, but that does not mean its core ideas are still not tremendously influential. Most of us living in the west tend to be practical materialists. In other words, even if we acknowledge that there is more to the world than mere matter, even if we profess a belief in God, we tend to live our life as if there is nothing but matter.

My Christian readers would likely push back against this. Of course, there is a God who created everything. Of course, we have a soul. Of course, there are spiritual beings we cannot see all around us. But, when you are sick, what is your first instinct? To book a doctor’s appointment, or to call the pastor and elders together to pray over you and anoint you with oil?

How do you renew a church? Looking at things materially, you change the style of songs and the types of instruments. You start new programs. You do reorganization. You do budgeting. You do “visioning” and planning sessions. But when was the last time your church went through an extended period of fasting and prayer for renewal? It is unfortunate that far too often we as Christians live functionally as philosophical materialists while holding onto a whole language of faith and spirituality. It’s not that we don’t believe. It’s just that a lot of the time we act like we don’t.

Why is it so important to understand the significance of how rationalism leads to some form of functional materialism? Because materialism changes how we think about the world, how we understand phenomena we encounter all around us. If we functionally live in a world in which God and the supernatural are not really real, how do we explain life, the universe and things? How did we get to this moment where we are contemplating all things? Into the breach comes a simple, but powerful idea: cause and effect.

Much of the power of science and scientific thinking is based upon this idea of cause and effect. It is simple really. If all there is in the world is matter, then everything we see today can be explained as an unbroken chain of cause and effect back to the very beginning of all things. Every action has a reaction. You do something and it has an effect. If I drop something, it falls to the ground. If I punch you in the nose, your nose will get broken and start to bleed. It is this idea of cause and effect that is foundational to the idea of human progress. By making small incremental changes to ourselves and the world around us, we can have progressively greater positive effects on the world, step by step. It’s foundational to the idea of evolution. But it is a profoundly western idea. It is an idea that runs counter to and undermines Biblical ways of thinking. Understanding this also, in my mind, helps us as Christians to draw ourselves apart from the broader culture, to understand the ways in which we are, or should be, thinking among our own ghetto nation. This, then, has real political implications, as I discussed in my most recent piece before this one.

Because of this idea of cause and effect, we tend to look at our moral and spiritual life this way as well, through this lens of progressive improvement. In life we face countless choices every day. All we need to do to become better people and more Christ like is to make those choices in a way that is God honoring and in harmony with his commands. Each choice we face gives us an opportunity to put in motion a good action, “a cause,” that will lead to a positive “effect” in our lives. As the positive effects accumulate in our lives, we will become ever more Christ like. This is a deeply western and materialist way to think about “spiritual” growth. In fact, it isn’t really spiritual growth at all. It is materialist self-improvement jargon smuggled into the church. It is a form of self-salvation.

Why is this idea of cause and effect so problematic? Because it places a burden upon us to always be making the right choices. But we tell ourselves that this is what the spiritual journey is. It is about making good life choices that have positive upbuilding effect in our lives. It sounds great. And this is familiar territory for all of us. There is a whole industry of Christian self-help advice offering their two-cents worth, helping us make good choices. But, unfortunately, its pretty much all wrong. We do make choices and we should make good choices, but the direction is all wrong. Because of this, we end up with a doctrine of self-salvation prettied up in fine sounding Christian God language. God helps me make good choices and because of the choices I make I become a better person.

But in biblical ways of thinking, the effect determines the cause. The end of the journey you are on determines the choices you make today.

For most of us, that just sounds bizarre. Effect determines cause. That is totally backwards and counter intuitive. And that is because spiritual realities are not the same as scientific realities. This is the danger of rationalism that ends in practical materialism. We have become so dominated by scientific materialism that it is almost impossible for us to actually read many biblical passages and really hear what they are saying to us and the implications for our lives.

At the same time, many of us carry around a tremendous burden that we never measure up, we are never good enough. We carry this burden around with us in large part because we are trapped in a modern scientific worldview. We always feel like we never measure up, that we cannot make enough good choices. We beat up on ourselves for making bad choices. But we don’t have to do any of this.

We need to learn to think biblically, as a Christian. So how does this biblical way of thinking work? These biblical ideas are very old ideas. We see it most clearly at work in books like Proverbs in the contrast between wisdom and folly. We see it in Jesus’ teaching of the two paths, the narrow and the wide. The idea is fairly simple. There are two paths in life, the path of wisdom and the path of folly. You must choose one path or the other.

In modern scientific, cause and effect thinking, there are thousands of branches along the path of life. If you make foolish choices, you will get farther and farther from the path of life. If you find yourself in that situation, what you need to do is to make better choices and your life will slowly regain its order. It seems like a sensible way of thinking. But it’s incorrect.

In the thinking of wisdom literature, there are just two paths, no branches, no thousands of forks. You are on one path or the other. What happens when you step onto the path of folly, you may not realize it yet, and you may deny this to yourself and the devil may seduce you into believing that this is not the case, but once you step onto the path of folly, of disobedience, the end of that path will start determining your choices. The end of the path begins to reveal itself in the choices you make today. The end may remain hidden to us today, and Satan will work overtime to keep that end hidden from us, but that choice you are making today is not really the choice right in front of you, but rather the hidden end of the journey that is revealed in this choice. You are not choosing the beginning of what might be potentially a long series of bad choices; rather you are choosing the end of the path which will now begin to determine all your other choices. The effect will determine the cause, so to speak.

The end of that path will begin to reveal itself in your life in the choices you make. Do you ever wonder why some people’s lives can spin out of control with self-destructive behavior with frightening speed? It is because of this reality. Once you embrace the path of folly, you are opening your life up to chaos, death, and destruction. Once you embrace that end, its pull can become overwhelming. Because your choice was in fact a choice for death, destruction and chaos, if you lack the strength, that end can force itself upon you with frightening speed and power, overwhelming you quite quickly.

This is why dabbling in sin is never just dabbling. This is why God says, the day you eat of the fruit of the tree, surely you will die. One step onto the path and the end of that path will determine your actions. One step onto that path and the outcome is already fixed and will begin revealing itself in your life. Once you have bitten from the apple, your death has already happened. You are just waiting for it to be revealed, for your lived experience to catch up with your reality. This is why you cannot experiment and dabble with sin.

This is why original sin is so problematic. Going back all the way to Adam, that first step was already taken for you. Without divine intervention the end is already determined. You are just waiting for it to be fully revealed in your life. From the moment you were born, you born into a world that was bound over for “death.” This is the reality within which you live, the reality that is being revealed all around you.

This is the bad news. There is an accompanying good news as well. That good news is Jesus. He died for you. He was raised for you. We are saved by believing in Jesus Christ and what he did in his death and resurrection.

But there is a piece that is often glossed over. There is a two-fold action: repent and believe. That word repentance does not mean “well, I have made some bad choices, sure, but I can get on track if I start making better choices and Jesus can help me do that.” No, as we have been saying, because the end of the path is revealed in the choices we make, the change within us must be total. We must shift from one end to another. We must move from a life bound over and determined by death and destruction, to a life that is determined by everlasting life and the goodness and wisdom of God.

Repentance is that deep knowledge, not of discovering every little sin in our life and surfacing it, which because we lie to ourselves, is impossible to do; but rather, it is the acknowledgment that without a complete and wholesale change in our lives, our life will end in eternal death. Repentance is recognizing that without an intervention from God we are on the path to eternal judgement.

Repentance involves that deep life altering desire to change the full orientation of our lives. It is a sorrowing over the recognition that without God’s help we cannot change the path we are on. We cannot. This is the deep fear. Not, I have made some bad choices but there is still time to get on the right path by making good choices. No. It is the knowledge that our life is on the wrong path and the end of that path is slowly consuming our life and there is nothing we can do about it on our own. We are bound by this end.

So, we repent and believe? Now what happens? The work of God’s Spirit is to join us to Christ. Our repentance and faith lead to a new wholesale condition for our existence. A new mode of being. We are now “in Christ.” Being “in Christ” gives us a new end to our life. And this new end now begins to reveal itself today, in the midst of sinful reality.

What does this look like? 1 Peter 1:3 says that we are given a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. It is kept in heaven for us. We are shielded by God’s power through faith. And this new reality, this inheritance, is waiting for us to be revealed in the last time. Our whole life now is guided by and pointed to this new reality. Hidden “in Christ” is this great treasure. Everything we do today is pointed to this treasure. This treasure guides all our actions and controls who we are what we do today.

Paul says the same thing more boldly in 2 Corinthians 5:16-21. We no longer look at anyone from an earthly point of view. We regard them as they are “in Christ.” In Christ we are a new creation, the old is gone and the new has come. Paul does not say that in Christ we will start making good choices and will be renewed little by little every day and become a new creation. No. In Christ you are fully, 100% completely new. Your life now participates in a new reality. That reality is determined by Christ.

This is why Paul tells us that when we gaze on Christ, we see but, in a mirror, dimly. Today it is not possible to fully see that new reality, but it is there, and it is revealing itself more fully all the time. Our scientific way of thinking always wants us to think that in our spiritual journey we are becoming something that we are not. Whereas the biblical message tells us the opposite. Everything we do in our spiritual journey is about revealing who we already are in Christ. What this means is exactly what Paul tells us to do in Colossians 3. “Since you have been raised with Christ…” In Paul’s mind the resurrection has already happened because it has already happened “in Christ.” The resurrection is just waiting to be revealed. Because you are already raised in Christ, set your hearts on things above where Christ is.

In our materialist view we tend to see growing in Christ something that involves a lot of effort or work on our part as if it involved participation on our part, doing the work, making good choices. Spiritual growth is not really about us doing anything. This is what grace means. Faith is a form of seeing, of believing God when he tells us who we are in Christ. Then, rather than making our life about focusing on our actions today, what we do instead is that we focus on Christ and who we are in Christ. We meditate on the end of the journey. We direct our heart and our minds our spirit towards who we are in Christ, and we believe that this self is our true self.

We no longer get discouraged if our actions don’t always seem to line up with that reality of who we are in Christ. Just as you should not get deceived by thinking that just because I didn’t go to hell today and my life didn’t immediately spiral into chaos and oblivion that the end of a life of folly and disobedience is not going to end in destruction; so too, if your life does not immediately evidence the fullness of God’s salvation, do not be discouraged. Trust in the forgiveness of God that you have in Christ. Trust in who you are in Christ.

Trust that it will be revealed in good time, in God’s time. Trust even if today we must endure trials, temptations and even failures, the end is already determined. We are in Christ. In Christ we are a new creation. That is your true identity. That is the path of your life. Direct all your energies, all your focus, your heart, your soul, your spirit to that new reality. See it with the eyes of faith. Let that new reality press itself upon you. Let that reality reveal itself in your life.

It is all in Christ. This is the good news. This is why Christ came. He came and did what he did to change the whole of your life. Christ came to set you on a different path with a different end, of life, goodness, newness, purity. It is all there, in Christ. Repent, and believe and in Christ all things will be made new for you.

Edit: added full text

Last edited:
This part struck me for its utility in how to orient my thinking:
We are in Christ. In Christ we are a new creation. That is your true identity. That is the path of your life. Direct all your energies, all your focus, your heart, your soul, your spirit to that new reality. See it with the eyes of faith. Let that new reality press itself upon you. Let that reality reveal itself in your life.

Awesome effort. A lot to ponder over. One problematic aspect of this is that cause and effect is massively embedded in the holy book. It might even be the foundation of religion.

Another overarching consideration is the relationship between cause and effect and judgement, which are intertwined. (You did X. It caused Y. That was “bad”). (And then, I forgive you, which doesn’t follow from a cause but it is caused (available to be consciously chosen) by the presence of (divine) being… Christ.

The differentiation of spiritual thinking from rational thinking results in one often being viewed as folly by the other. The downward path is indeed a kind of folly, but not because folly is intrinsically the downward path. Noah’s folly comes to mind as do the vanities of Ecclesiastes. Folly is a downward path except when it isn’t. That’s more non deterministic. And maybe that’s what lights the way. That there is no beginning or end or time leaves everything hanging in mid air and shoves causalities into the background, perhaps, if only momentarily.

Anyway, just some initial thoughts. I’ll reread it later. Quite an effort, Luc!!

Somehow, looks like @luc managed to post this thread twice? It was published below 2mins after this one:

I thought he was going to go into a flourish about the etymology of cause as explicated by Collingwood in his discourse on Metaphysics. He didn't, but there seems to be a hyperdimensional aspect to this essay, about different selves in the future firing information back into the past to influence us, "in union" with us as the C's have said. Sort of like Seneca's aphorism "every sin is the result of a collaboration."

I had to bite my tongue to avoid some irreverent comparison to Calvinism. :-P

I've been pondering this kinda thing lately, the bolded part in particular.

In our materialist view we tend to see growing in Christ something that involves a lot of effort or work on our part as if it involved participation on our part, doing the work, making good choices. Spiritual growth is not really about us doing anything. This is what grace means. Faith is a form of seeing, of believing God when he tells us who we are in Christ. Then, rather than making our life about focusing on our actions today, what we do instead is that we focus on Christ and who we are in Christ. We meditate on the end of the journey. We direct our heart and our minds our spirit towards who we are in Christ, and we believe that this self is our true self.

There's a huge emphasis in the Work on making efforts, intentional suffering and conscious labours, creating friction to light the inner fire to burn away what does not belong and fuse the magnetic centre. Jordan Peterson's very rational, pragmatic approach to improving one's life is a good example. It's plan-based cause and effect, with his zig-zag caveat that allows for detours, failures, and the unexpected. I've also seen similarities between JP and Confucius, in particular what's described as his 'Way of Man'. There's a big emphasis on orderliness, beginning with the individual, then scaling up to the family, then the society, and the nation, all harmonized under Heaven.

Then there's what might be called the water path, developing and listening to intuition, receiving guidance, not forcing, and non-anticipation. This would be Lao Tzu's 'Way of Heaven', or what Laura has written about in Secret History, making the choice to allow ourselves to become a conduit for higher energies:

View attachment 73327

Now, consider the idea that there are several - maybe even infinite - “probable future yous” as observers. In the picture above, this would be represented as many “eyes” but all of them converging on a single point on the tail - the “now” moment that we perceive, which is the moment of “choice”. It is from these probable futures of infinite potential - of “thought centers” - that reality is projected. It is through human beings that these energies are transduced and become “real”.

You in the here and now - at the conjunction of all of these probabilities all vying with one another to become “real” - have no possibility of “creating” anything in this reality from “down here”, so to say. The realities - the creative potentials - are a projection from higher levels of density. You are a receiver, a transducer, a reflector of the view of which eye is viewing YOU, nothing more.

It's tempting to think about these two paths in terms of an either/or proposition. Do we choose a kind of cause-and-effect? Or a kind of fatalism? To me it makes more sense to say both are valuable for the Work, and set them in right relationship with each other. Although I haven't read his stuff in a looong time, I remember a phrase by ol' Ken Wilbur... the secret to enlightenment is that there is nothing to do; therefore you must work tremendously hard! In other words, its well and good to work tremendously hard, so long as there is no 'you' that is doing the work - no personal attachment to outcome, be it punishment or reward, 'doing better', 'healing', 'success', '4D transition', or anything else. It feels really weird to write that, though. Non-anticipation is so weird.

Ashworth's 'three phase progression' has been helpful for me to think about all this. There are those who live in the death of the flesh will never have the Law, there is the Law as the child-minder for the flock, and then there are those who have received the Spirit, or undergone a real transformation. In terms of this author, it seems that a life of the flesh would be his path of folly. The path of wisdom has its own branches, phases, or maybe cycles. The child-minder of the Law (cause and effect) was sure a huge, necessary step for me to come to terms with. Still is. The flesh rebels and just wants satiation, the Law holds it in check - or doesn't, and this friction generates the fires of transformation. Then 'a certain something' happens (still not sure what), and the Spirit is received, we 'die to the world' and are resurrected in Christ, we become a conduit for Love, Light, and Knowledge, and a new reality is possible. In mythological terms, this would be discovering the Water of Life.

Reminds me of this poem by Khalil Gibran (I like the flute part in particular):

On Work

Then a ploughman said, Speak to us of Work.
And he answered, saying:
You work that you may keep pace with the earth and the soul of the earth.
For to be idle is to become a stranger unto the seasons, and to step out of life’s procession, that marches in majesty and proud submission towards the infinite.

When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the hours turns to music.
Which of you would be a reed, dumb and silent, when all else sings together in unison?

Always you have been told that work is a curse and labour a misfortune.
But I say to you that when you work you fulfil a part of earth’s furthest dream, assigned to you when the dream was born,
And in keeping yourself with labour you are in truth loving life,
And to love life through labour is to be intimate with life’s inmost secret.

But if you in your pain call birth an affliction and the support of the flesh a curse written upon your brow, then I answer that naught but the sweat of your brow shall wash away that which is written.

You have been told also that life is darkness, and in your weariness you echo what was said by the weary.
And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge,
And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge,
And all knowledge is vain save when there is work,
And all work is empty save when there is love;
And when you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God.

And what is it to work with love?
It is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from your heart, even as if your beloved were to wear that cloth.
It is to build a house with affection, even as if your beloved were to dwell in that house.
It is to sow seeds with tenderness and reap the harvest with joy, even as if your beloved were to eat the fruit.
It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath of your own spirit,
And to know that all the blessed dead are standing about you and watching.

Often have I heard you say, as if speaking in sleep, “He who works in marble, and finds the shape of his own soul in the stone, is nobler than he who ploughs the soil.
And he who seizes the rainbow to lay it on a cloth in the likeness of man, is more than he who makes the sandals for our feet.”
But I say, not in sleep but in the overwakefulness of noontide, that the wind speaks not more sweetly to the giant oaks than to the least of all the blades of grass;
And he alone is great who turns the voice of the wind into a song made sweeter by his own loving.

Work is love made visible.
And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.
For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man’s hunger.
And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distils a poison in the wine.
And if you sing though as angels, and love not the singing, you muffle man’s ears to the voices of the day and the voices of the night.

So the work could be an initial stage, coring out the flute perhaps, and emptying ourselves of all blockages. Although emptied in this way, we're all still full of holes. This is our nature in 3D - and these holes make us holey! In other words, without these holes, we could only play one monotonous note. So the holes (maybe our wounds?) have a crucial function in our instrument. They facilitate our participation in playing our own melody in harmony with the song of creation and spreading good vibes in our own little distant corners of the planet.

I actually have a lot of things that I more than quibble about.

I liked it because it made me think and I kind of liked the part about being at the end of the journey when you set foot on the path in terms of cause and effect, but there are a number of things in it that made me think that the author's overall message, which he ties into his cause and effect idea, is just the religious or Christian trap similar to the New Agey trap that Laura describes below from the excerpt of SHOTW that she recently posted in the Langan thread. I had just read the SHOTW excerpt the other day, so it was fresh in my mind.

Christopher Langan's Cognitive Theoretic Model of the Universe

The author is saying that you don’t have to do anything but have faith in and believe in Christ, which relates to his cause and effect thoughts. I think we would view it here as having the faith of ‘Christ’ through the effort to gather and apply knowledge, which takes into account our free will choices.

The part below is what I kind of liked. It made me think of what we often talk about here in terms of being born into a 3D STS reality and having A influences/General Law keep us trapped in that and on that path. And that we are stuck in that mindset and immersed in that reality until we suffer and learn. Stuck with the end of that path until we suffer and learn otherwise. We are under the sway of the Thought Center of Non-being/STS that determines our choices until we suffer and learn otherwise.

It also made me think of book and thread about pendulums and although a person may have gained some knowledge and has tried to apply it, they can still make a choice that puts them back on the path toward being under the sway of the Thought Center of Non-being.

In the thinking of wisdom literature, there are just two paths, no branches, no thousands of forks. You are on one path or the other. What happens when you step onto the path of folly, you may not realize it yet, and you may deny this to yourself and the devil may seduce you into believing that this is not the case, but once you step onto the path of folly, of disobedience, the end of that path will start determining your choices. The end of the path begins to reveal itself in the choices you make today. The end may remain hidden to us today, and Satan will work overtime to keep that end hidden from us, but that choice you are making today is not really the choice right in front of you, but rather the hidden end of the journey that is revealed in this choice. You are not choosing the beginning of what might be potentially a long series of bad choices; rather you are choosing the end of the path which will now begin to determine all your other choices. The effect will determine the cause, so to speak.

The end of that path will begin to reveal itself in your life in the choices you make. Do you ever wonder why some people’s lives can spin out of control with self-destructive behavior with frightening speed? It is because of this reality. Once you embrace the path of folly, you are opening your life up to chaos, death, and destruction. Once you embrace that end, its pull can become overwhelming. Because your choice was in fact a choice for death, destruction and chaos, if you lack the strength, that end can force itself upon you with frightening speed and power, overwhelming you quite quickly.

This is why dabbling in sin is never just dabbling. This is why God says, the day you eat of the fruit of the tree, surely you will die. One step onto the path and the end of that path will determine your actions. One step onto that path and the outcome is already fixed and will begin revealing itself in your life. Once you have bitten from the apple, your death has already happened. You are just waiting for it to be revealed, for your lived experience to catch up with your reality. This is why you cannot experiment and dabble with sin.

This is why original sin is so problematic. Going back all the way to Adam, that first step was already taken for you. Without divine intervention the end is already determined. You are just waiting for it to be fully revealed in your life. From the moment you were born, you born into a world that was bound over for “death.” This is the reality within which you live, the reality that is being revealed all around you.

This is the bad news. There is an accompanying good news as well. That good news is Jesus. He died for you. He was raised for you. We are saved by believing in Jesus Christ and what he did in his death and resurrection.

I don’t think we are saved by believing anything, but put on the path to becoming an STO candidate by learning. Suffering and trying to learn by gaining knowledge and applying it.

SHOTW said:
Evil is REAL on its own level, and the task of man is to navigate the Cosmic Maze without being defiled by the Evil therein. This is the root of Free Will. Man faces a predicament as REAL as himself: he is forced to choose - to utilize his knowledge by applying it - between the straight path which leads to Being, and the crooked paths which lead to Non-Being. Human beings are required to discern between good and evil - consciousness energy directors - at every stage of their existence in this reality. Because, in fact, they must understand that God is consciousness and God is matter. God is good, and God is evil. The Creation assumes all the different properties of the many “Names of God.” The Cosmos is full of Life-giving and Slaying, Forgiveness and Vengeance, Exaltation and Abasement, Guidance and Deception. To attempt to assume God’s point of view and “mix everything” at this level, results only in STAYING at this level. Therefore, human beings must always separate God’s point of view from their own point of view and the fact that all creation assumes the divine Names and Traits.

Thus, the first Divine Command is BE! And that includes Being and Non-being instantaneously. Therefore, the second law is “follow Being or Non-being according to your choice and your inherent nature.” All creation is a result of the engendering command. So, in this respect, there is no Evil. But the second, prescriptive law determines to which “Face of God” one will return: Life or Death.

I kind of found that this quote from the author is just the religious/Christian version of what Laura wrote about the New Age people and what they do.

Trust that it will be revealed in good time, in God’s time. Trust even if today we must endure trials, temptations and even failures, the end is already determined. We are in Christ. In Christ we are a new creation. That is your true identity. That is the path of your life. Direct all your energies, all your focus, your heart, your soul, your spirit to that new reality. See it with the eyes of faith. Let that new reality press itself upon you. Let that reality reveal itself in your life.

SHOTW said:
As the reader can easily see by now, the teachings of the current spate of New Age Gurus constitute the idea that we can exert our will and voice that exists “down here” upward to change what is “above” us in order to change our reality down here. They tell us that we can change our lives, our thinking, move our brains into harmony, or aid the “heart in opening,” obtaining “harmony and balance” which is then going to “open windows in our mind, our heart, and our spirit,” etc. It is claimed that we can do this basically by assuming God’s point of view that “all is one, all is love.” It is stated, (with some truth I should add, since good disinformation is always wrapped in a warm and fuzzy truth), that, “without Divine Unity inside of us, these windows of inspiration are rarely available.” What they do NOT tell you is that the staircase to Divine Unity of Being requires a full field of awareness of Being and Non-being, and this can only be achieved by divesting oneself of the controls of Nonbeing which are, indeed, part of Being, but which seek to obviate Being in a paradoxical sleep of “Unification” which often begins by believing the lie that knowledge protects simply by having it.

Indeed, many of the techniques sold in the slick packages of ascension tools will temporarily produce chemical changes that will feel VERY good, the same way a good meal satisfies hunger temporarily. It really feels good! But just as the steak and salad are digested and most of the matter excreted in a few hours, and another steak and salad is needed to fill the stomach again, so do such practices fail to do anything more than perpetuate the food chain. And, staying with the analogy, very little of the substance of such practices actually stays with the individual.

This last quote from the author seems to me to be another ‘trick’ that is a trap in terms how Christianity has been formulated. Just repent and believe and all will be ok. You don’t have to do anything to learn at all, etc.

It is all in Christ. This is the good news. This is why Christ came. He came and did what he did to change the whole of your life. Christ came to set you on a different path with a different end, of life, goodness, newness, purity. It is all there, in Christ. Repent, and believe and in Christ all things will be made new for you.

SHOTW said:
Machiavelli observed that religion and its teachings of faith, hope, charity, love, humility and patience under suffering were factors that render men weak and cause them to care less about worldly and political things, and thus they will turn political power over to wicked men who are not influenced by such ideals. Of course, the real trick is to convince people that the afterlife is the only thing worth thinking about, and it is to this end that Christianity has been formulated. It is also to this end that many of the New Age beliefs and formulations of the truth about Ascension have been engineered. All you have to do is have faith or meditate or acquire knowledge and awareness that will help you love everything and everybody. Nothing is said about the day-by-day struggle and the necessity for action.

I agree this does have a bit of the flavor of that good ol' time religion - just BELIEVE in Jesus and all will be well... That said, what he said in the beginning about our inability to understand a completely different way of thought due to the fact that we are so steeped in Western Enlightenment culture, caused me to try to think differently about what he means.

What I think he is trying to say is similar to Gurdjieff's saying about 'sitting on both sides of the fence' and thinking you are doing the work. You can't exist in the grey areas of life and think you are going to end up in a better place. What is needed is a complete reversal - somewhat like when the alcoholic quits cold turkey and completely changes his life. At that point, once that decision is made and adhered to, everything changes. That person is now under a new thought center of being or 'living in Christ' in the author's words. It reminded me of something the C's said at the end of the July 4th 2015 session:

"For all forum members: Do not lose heart. Just remember that if you do all you can, yourselves in the future will bridge the gap. You are all potential transducers of information into chaos. Let that information be love/truth. "
Once we make that shift, vow to change, to do everything in our power, then the Universe / Christ / Ourselves in the future will begin to draw us forward toward a completely new path. Until that time, we are being pulled inexorably toward the STS / thought center of non-being /aka Satan.

Sorry for posting twice, I must have hit a key combination accidentally.

I had to bite my tongue to avoid some irreverent comparison to Calvinism. :-P

The author is saying that you don’t have to do anything but have faith in and believe in Christ, which relates to his cause and effect thoughts.

I agree this does have a bit of the flavor of that good ol' time religion - just BELIEVE in Jesus and all will be well... That said, what he said in the beginning about our inability to understand a completely different way of thought due to the fact that we are so steeped in Western Enlightenment culture, caused me to try to think differently about what he means.

I actually added something along the lines of "we need to be on guard about the evangelical instant salvation trope" after I apparently posted it already. I agree the essay can be easily misunderstood by those who wish to find excuses for not doing anything or not putting any effort into it, but we are among friends here, yes? ;-)

That being said, I found it interesting to ponder some of the aspects of reverse-causation, full life-transformation in Christ (that Paul speaks of), and a certain degree of "destiny" - that is, the idea that our choice is kind of a binary one, and we may have little control over the rest and how it will unfold, along the lines Joe thought here:

Seems to me that, incarnated as 3D humans, we are here "to be used" in the grand scheme of things, by one 'side' or the other, as vehicles for one kind of 'energy' or another. Our relative lack of awareness means we don't play much of a conscious part in the proceedings, but as the Cs say, are kind of 'directed' by 'others': either our 'higher selves' or other forces at work in this drama.

Remaining isolated as individuals, we are easy prey for the machinations of those 'other' forces, but united into a group, we stand a better chance of resisting those machinations because we pool the little awareness/knowledge we do have. This would be especially true if, as suggested, we are in some way part of a larger 'soul group' and by uniting in this way we embody and grow closer to that more objective and 'higher' reality. This idea is even reflected at a material level with the well-known, and very practical phrase "united we stand divided we fall", although the caveat seems to be what a group unites around, because there are plenty of examples of a united group 'falling'.

I would never discard the selfhelp literature, but I found the author's perspective interesting and adding something. That doesn't mean that's the only true perspective, of course.

I kind of found that this quote from the author is just the religious/Christian version of what Laura wrote about the New Age people and what they do.
Maybe I corrected that part in my mind (always a danger) but I think there are nuances here - yes, there is the "instant salvation" trope and the New Age trap, but you can also understand these things from a Pauline perspective, especially since the author also talks about the importance of the straight and narrow: "believe" here can be read as "surrender" and "transformation of our whole life and being".

And when the author says:

Direct all your energies, all your focus, your heart, your soul, your spirit to that new reality. See it with the eyes of faith. Let that new reality press itself upon you. Let that reality reveal itself in your life.

I'm not sure this can be read as a YCYOR trope, because he goes on to say that we need to see the new reality with the eyes of faith - the Pauline idea of seeing the unseen, the "new reality" as a different, non-material layer. Also: he says we should let the new reality press itself upon us, and that we need to let it reveal itself in our lives - that is, we don't know it yet! This means it's more than "visualizing" and "manifesting"; after all, we only see through a glass darkly now.

It's tempting to think about these two paths in terms of an either/or proposition. Do we choose a kind of cause-and-effect? Or a kind of fatalism? To me it makes more sense to say both are valuable for the Work, and set them in right relationship with each other. Although I haven't read his stuff in a looong time, I remember a phrase by ol' Ken Wilbur... the secret to enlightenment is that there is nothing to do; therefore you must work tremendously hard! In other words, its well and good to work tremendously hard, so long as there is no 'you' that is doing the work - no personal attachment to outcome, be it punishment or reward, 'doing better', 'healing', 'success', '4D transition', or anything else. It feels really weird to write that, though. Non-anticipation is so weird.

Indeed, I think we can't look at these things as "either/or", which can make it frustrating. I like the formulation "there is nothing to do; therefore you must work tremendously hard!" There must be some kind of balance between faith in "our future selves" or whatever, that things unfold precisely as they are supposed to and always will, and the idea that we are the creators of our future selves and that every action counts. Both things seem to be true in a sense, and part of the art of living is to keep both in mind, and apply each perspective appropriately.

I feel kind of the same … and it is a topic that I have thought about a lot recently.

He is both right and not right.

Yes - the first step to development towards an STO existence is to believe that we live in a purposeful universe with a divine agent (otherwise there is no point in ‘growing’, if all that happens at the end of a human life is to go back to dust whence we came).

I also think that reincarnation is a necessary (and overlooked) part of this equation. With this mechanism in place, a lot of things suddenly start making a bit more sense: If you only live once and then you either go to heaven or hell - according to how you led your life - then to me this doesn’t make any sense if you consider that the ’starting capital’ is so vastly different (eg offspring of a well-to-do, loving and encouraging family versus the offspring of say a mother who has to prostitute herself and a drug-dealing father who is addled most of the time, in addition to being violent, unemotional and unreliable). Reincarnation is the missing peace with ‘karma’ being accumulated or paid off over generations, with intergenerational dramas and actors playing out. I realize that I might be anthropomorphizing God in an inappropriate way, he being essentially unknowable?

No in the sense of - to just believe doesn’t change much in my opinion. It brings up the picture of the pious, church-going faithful who abides by the rules of his or her denomination (as out there and contradictory as they might be), but who outside of his tribal group doesn’t really care for others. Like others have said before, Ashworth’s passage in Paul’s Necessary Sin comes to mind: It’s not the faith IN Jesus that counts, but the faith OF Jesus - in whomever that may be.

To further complicate the matter, the author sounds as if making the choice about what path (narrow to salvation or wide to destruction) is a one-off thing - kind of you think about it, make the choice and that’s it - eternal salvation beckons. No further effort needed. However, most of us would be aware, that this choice needs to be done over and over again, every day, in confrontation of every action. This is where in my mind the effort lies, because it is oh so easy to slip back into sleep - and most of us have a first-hand (and probably repeatedly as I certainly have) experience of that in our own lives. The only thing you can do is - try again.

And I think that is part of the suffering involved - the repeated failures to live up to our own, lofty standards, the temptations not resisted (despite clearly knowing and realizing this), the casual hurt and cruelty inflicted to others, etc. - to know that we have failed, once again, to move towards the divine.

I think another point where he is right is the issue of grace. We are sinners (or in Cs terms STO), but still in our imperfection and struggle, we deserve HIS (whoever that might be) forgiveness. For me is seems to be the flip-side of Free Will - why would God imbue us with Free Will, only to harshly criticize and punish us for our failures? But with reincarnation we get another round, another chance, until we finally get it.

I apologize for this disjointed post, it’s a work in progress…

He is both right and not right.

I think so too - interestingly, his piece can be read either way in some parts. I actually liked the tension between his claims about teleology and the straight and narrow, because it made me think about it.

I also think that reincarnation is a necessary (and overlooked) part of this equation.

Yes, Christians often seem completely blocked from that one. SAd.

No in the sense of - to just believe doesn’t change much in my opinion.

Again, this is a danger in protestant Christianity in particular. But in my reading, the author can't be put (entirely) in that camp - his take seems more nuanced.

To further complicate the matter, the author sounds as if making the choice about what path (narrow to salvation or wide to destruction) is a one-off thing - kind of you think about it, make the choice and that’s it - eternal salvation beckons. No further effort needed.

I understood it more along the lines that we should keep in mind that we come under the influence of teleology, or the future, once we decide one side or the other. That is, if we "sin" (however we define it), we come under the spell of evil which influences from afar. It therefore can have big consequences. Simultanously, if we decide for "good", we come under its influence from afar, which can lead us to manifest it more and more if we keep on the straight and narrow. But we always can switch sides, so to speak.

Good point about the content of Christian morality: the author doesn't say much about it so I don't know his take, but it's always a danger with religion to understand morality as a mere set of rules. Then again, Paul is pretty explicit that this ain't it, and I think many Christians would agree that it's more complicated than that.

And I think that is part of the suffering involved - the repeated failures to live up to our own, lofty standards, the temptations not resisted (despite clearly knowing and realizing this), the casual hurt and cruelty inflicted to others, etc. - to know that we have failed, once again, to move towards the divine.

I think another point where he is right is the issue of grace. We are sinners (or in Cs terms STO), but still in our imperfection and struggle, we deserve HIS (whoever that might be) forgiveness. For me is seems to be the flip-side of Free Will - why would God imbue us with Free Will, only to harshly criticize and punish us for our failures? But with reincarnation we get another round, another chance, until we finally get it.
The issue is not failing or being wrong, but not realizing that one has failed.

Most people, faced with a reprehensible action that hurts others or other people, are immune to criticism.

If you try to tell them something like "Don't you realize that what you are doing causes this or that!", they immediately respond with an excuse that is only valid for them and it is absolutely impossible to make them see that they are fooling themselves with excuses

Only by suffering it in their own flesh is there any chance that they can see it.

We are in the world of lies and there is always, always an excuse for everything.

Blessed indeed are those who learn from their mistakes and failures.

I think he provides a false dichotomy by ascribing 'effects driving causes" to the spiritual life, but not the material life. For instance, this morning I reviewed my businesses cash flow forecast. The income and expenditure predictions will influence the daily choices I make over the coming weeks and months - in other words, the effects are influencing the causes, in the 'material' world.

I also think that defining these ideas in terms of 'western cause and effect' is unnecessary. He could have used Gurdjieffs language and said (paraphrasing) we must have an 'aim.'

Lastly, cause and effect is not a western idea. It is a key component of the Buddhist doctrine of Dependant Origination, which gives rise to the endless cycle of Samsara.

FWIW

Back
Top Bottom