Butter Tarts

Turgon

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Butter Tarts are one of my favourite desserts so I made a keto-friendly version of it last night.

Crust: 3 Cups of Pork Rind Flour, 1/2 TSP of Salt, 4 TBSP of Butter, 1 (or 2) eggs

If you have a really powerful blender, make sure the butter is cold and cut it up into small chunks and mix all the ingredients together thoroughly. If you don't then you want to warm up the butter a bit to make it easier to blend. Grab a muffin pan or something similar and press it into the pan. You don't need to make the crust too thick because I found even without any baking powder, it started to puff up a bit in the oven and I had to scoop it out half way through and make another crust with the extra.

Preheat the oven to 325 Fahrenheit and cook for about 12-15 minutes or so. But keep an eye on it and see how it's doing. It doesn't have to be thoroughly cooked, because they are going to put back in with the filler.

Filler: 3/4 Cup of Xylitol (or whichever sweetener you have available), 2 eggs, 1/4 Cup of Butter, 1 TBSP of Coconut Cream (or milk), a large handful of raisins and chopped pecans.

Mix all the ingredients together (minus the raisins and pecans) and blend it nicely, then add in as much raisins and pecans as desired, at least half a cup of each should do, but you can eyeball it. Scoop the filler into the already made crusts until it reaches the top (you don't have to worry too much about the filler rising so you can fill it to the top) and bake at 325 Fahrenheit for another 20-25 minutes.

Let it cool down first. It's probably a good idea to put it into the fridge, otherwise they will fall apart. Plus, they do taste a lot better when cool. I'd also add that they come out rich but also very sweet, so even though I haven't tried it yet, you could probably cut down on the amount of Xylitol or sweetener that you use and add in more Coconut milk to substitute that. So just be careful not to eat too many of these in one go. Although they are very filling.

Relative consistency of the filler

20150904_212506.jpg

Just out of the oven

20150904_212515.jpg

After they've cooled down a bit

20150904_220631.jpg

Oooh, that looks delicious, thanks! And to lower the carbs, you could remove the raisins.

That looks pretty nice, thanks! I wonder if you can skip the filler stage and just add all of the ingredients and bake them only once?

Oh my lord...

Those look like my favourite Xmas treats, called "Ecclefechan Tarts".

Thanks, Turgon!

Turgon said:
So just be careful not to eat too many of these in one go.

By all indications, this is going to be rather difficult. ;)

Butter tarts! Oh my goodness, I haven't had those in ages! We're gonna have to give them a go. Thanks for posting the recipe.

I think the shell of the tart needs to be baked first because adding the filling right away will make the shell soggy. It won't hold together when you take it out of the pan. It doesn't behave the same as a pie crust.

Heimdallr said:
Turgon said:

They're suuuuuper filling, so maybe it won't be that hard to refrain :P I recommend not eating them immediately after dinner :D

Heimdallr said:
Turgon said:

Yes, "difficult" indeed, it's the kind of food one might crawl on their knees through a snowstorm for - Nice looking recipe, Turgon. :)

Wow these are indeed very tasty and rich!! I wasn't able to find Ping Rind flour so i subbed for almond flour and cut out the raisins. I can't eat more than one at a time, but very good. Next time I'll ease up on the xylitol but good recipe.

Back
Top Bottom