Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

For those of you living in a country-type area, then mass-canning for 2 years etc. is probably a good bet because your food supply will be at less risk from the hungry population as it would be for the rest of us who live in the city. But, if you are stuck in the city, i believe you are better off using your intelligence to devise a peaceful means of ending your life with as little suffering as possible, rather than a slow starvation. Because a 2 years food supply in a city-house will simply get given out to all your neighbours, or it could be taken by force if they find out about it. Still going to buy some bags of rice, canned fish,etc. to last a month or so, but that is all.

But, if you are stuck in the city, i believe you are better off using your intelligence to devise a peaceful means of ending your life with as little suffering as possible, rather than a slow starvation.
It is hard to reply to this. Maybe I am not reading this right?

Here is an idea. What if you buy a lot of cheap carb foods, like bags of rice or beans to trade with hungry neighbors? (Forget nutrition, they probably want carbs!) Make it known that you have some goods to trade, and trade your carbs for things of reasonable value. If they think you are a trader, maybe they won't think you have a big storage (to steal) and maybe they will want to keep you trading so they can get what they want.

I don't think that anybody talking about ending their lives is productive in any sense. The whole point of "knowledge protects" is to be able to SEE and be AWARE and act appropriately in response to the reality on the ground. And I don't think that includes offing yourself. If you see that spring is coming, you start to get ready to plant. You know that summer and fall are the times to prepare for winter. So, if you read the larger cycle signs, you know something about where the trends are going and you can do the same in a broader sense like maybe moving OUT of the city? Or finding a way to work with where you are if you absolutely, positively, do not have the option of moving. If you must work in the city, what about sharing a house in the suburbs with friends for economic reasons? That is being done more and more of late. Or at least having connections to friends in the country and contributing to their supplies with the intention of joining them if the situation warrants?

Found this step-by-step explanation here:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay105.html.

Explains the process in much detail, and for different pieces of meat/ game/ poultry.
Now all I need is a pressure canner ... thought that my pressure cooker would be sufficient, but according to the above article, it doesn't work a high enough pressure.
:cry:

nicklebleu said:

Explains the process in much detail, and for different pieces of meat/ game/ poultry.
Now all I need is a pressure canner ... thought that my pressure cooker would be sufficient, but according to the above article, it doesn't work a high enough pressure.

Time is the main element that the pressure canner saves. You can do canning of meat even without a pressure canner by using a big drum, putting all the jars in there, covering it with water, bring to a boil, put something on top of the stacks of jars to keep them stable, like short boards and large stones, and boil for five hours. I've heard that this works just fine.

Laura said:
nicklebleu said:

Time is the main element that the pressure canner saves. You can do canning of meat even without a pressure canner by using a big drum, putting all the jars in there, covering it with water, bring to a boil, put something on top of the stacks of jars to keep them stable, like short boards and large stones, and boil for five hours. I've heard that this works just fine.

This might very well be the case ... the only difference probably is in the safety aspect. Pressure canners are able to build up higher pressures, which translates into higher temperatures. There is probably a lower risk in a canner of detrimental bacteria surviving and spoiling the food.

Besides my pressure cooker is too small to hold canning jars anyway ....

nicklebleu said:
This might very well be the case ... the only difference probably is in the safety aspect. Pressure canners are able to build up higher pressures, which translates into higher temperatures. There is probably a lower risk in a canner of detrimental bacteria surviving and spoiling the food.

Besides my pressure cooker is too small to hold canning jars anyway ....

True. Which is why we use the pressure canner. It says it is 41 quarts, but it holds 17 liter jars in two layers, 9 and 8. We generally end up processing for about 2 hours because it takes awhile to get the temp/pressure right.

Only concern I would add since these canners are not available in Europe that there may need to be paid extra fees for customs and taxes. Eventually nothing will happen and customs don't pick the parcel, which is likely, but better be safe :).

Here is a webpage which calculates stuff like this:

_http://www.dutycalculator.com/

As far as I've understood, Amazon.com adds the customs payment to the bill and they take care of it. I've tried delivery addresses in two different countries and the fees change quite considerably. Ah well, I suppose I have to stop being stingy now and finally order it :)

When people start canning? Don't spend money if u dont have it. Check more cheap ways. Before canning u can put more salt in a meat, even like half of hand in one liter. Like Lara sayed, make soup from it. Check the pepperoncino, it is hot paprica, it also killing some bacterias, u can use it intead of pepper. What about putting can in deep ground or in large fridge or freezer? U can get used freezer for really chep money, it is sometimes like 50 Euro. U can use some special paints to not get rust.

Is there any way to get dry egg powder?

regarding the jars and the lids I'm currently in conversation with a company that produces them not that far away from me.
http://www.flaschenbauer.de/

I will have to pay 200,60 € (without delivery costs because I pick them up myself) for 370 jars and 400 lids wich is a darn good price !
that is 0,53 € per jar with a lid !

since the company is not that far away I'll pick them up myself with my car because it is definitely cheaper then to let them send to me.
it is a weight of about 110 kg wich would be 54,75€ for delivery cost.

unfortunately they deliver only within Germany and Austria (delivery to Austria is a bit more expensive).
they have a lot of different jars and lids with different sizes. after I talked to them they said that the "Konservenglas" and "Sturzglas" would be the best for the canning purposes I need (fatty meat). I'm currently talking to them to find the best lids for that purpose. you will need the right ones considering the heat and pressure (120°C/15 psi) and the thing you are canning!

http://www.flaschenbauer.de/versandkosten.html:
Versand per DHL

Bis zu einem Gewicht von 30 kg und Transport innerhalb von Deutschland gilt die folgende Staffel:
Bei Nachnahme fallen zusätzlich nochmals Kosten in Höhe von EUR 7,00 an.

Bei Gewichten über 30 kg setzen wir unsere Hausspedition ein. Eine Nachnahme ist dann nicht mehr möglich. Unsere Preise bei Versand mit der Spedition ermitteln sich hierbei aus dem Gewicht der Sendung sowie der Lieferadresse.

Selbstabholung

Hier fallen keine Versandkosten an.

Die Abholungen können allerdings nur nach vorheriger Bestellung, am einfachsten im Onlineshop oder per Telefax 07141/6436929 erfolgen.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Ware mindestens einen Werktag vor Abholung bestellt werden muss.
Die Abholung ist zu den nachfolgend aufgeführten Zeiten möglich:

Montag - Freitag: 8.30 - 12.00 und von 13.00 - 16.00

Versand per Spedition

Die Frachtpreise sind abhängig vom Gewicht.
Die Lieferung erfolgt mit unserer Hausspedition

Preistabelle:

Bis Kosten

50 kg 25,50 €
75 kg 32,25 €
100 kg 35,95 €
150 kg 54,75 €
..... .....
... ...
3000 kg 384,10 €

I think there are other companys within germany and other countries that produce jars and lids where you can get them much cheaper then in a regualar shop!

you just have to find them :cool2:

the canner is on the way and since my mother set out several years ago to live with her boyfriend a whole shelf in our basement is empty wich can hold up to 1024 jars of this size wich I'm buying (720 ml):

http://www.flaschenbauer.de/glaeser/konservenglaeser.html/konservenglas-720-ml-to-82.html

I think it will definitely pay itself out even if nothing happens since you will have meat and such for a fairly cheap and constant prize for years so you don't have to spend a whole lot on buying food!

so if all works I have paid 366,79€ for the canner (with delivery costs) and 200 € for 370 jars+lids (plus 30 extra lids)
wich makes 566€ for all the Equipment and jars wich I calculate are enough for two rough years for one person.

I'll will buy more jars and lids in the coming months so that the shelf will be full in the next year or two and I have enough for others too.

jokerwader said:
When people start canning? Don't spend money if u dont have it. Check more cheap ways. Before canning u can put more salt in a meat, even like half of hand in one liter. Like Lara sayed, make soup from it. Check the pepperoncino, it is hot paprica, it also killing some bacterias, u can use it intead of pepper. What about putting can in deep ground or in large fridge or freezer? U can get used freezer for really chep money, it is sometimes like 50 Euro. U can use some special paints to not get rust.

What happens when there is no power? Or gasoline to run generators because of having no power to pump the gasoline to fill gas cans?

To spend a little bit of money on a pressure cooker that you can use for years is not that much of an expense when it really comes down to it.

Also, a lot of deli meats have wheat in them. And many people cannot tolerate peppers, which are nightshades and are very inflammatory.

And how much of a difference in cost is buying a freezer, even a used one and then the energy cost to keep it running all year long compared to buying a pressure cooker? Or a dehydrator?

also you have to consider that the pressure canner I bought works without a gasket and intstead with a metal to metal sealing system wich is a huge + because you never need to buy a new gasket for it to work in the future and if neccary you can use it even without electrical power on a heat source like fire (inderectly of course maybe with a stone plate that is heated through the fire in between).

Pashalis said:
also you have to consider that the pressure canner I bought works without a gasket and intstead with a metal to metal sealing system wich is a huge + because you never need to buy a new gasket for it to work in the future and if neccary you can use it even without electrical power on a heat source like fire (inderectly of course maybe with a stone plate that is heated through the fire in between).

Exactly. I think you got the same one we got and after figuring it out (which isn't too hard), we are using the heck out of it and will never have to buy a gasket!

The trickiest part is getting the lid tightened down evenly all around. I was slipping three CD cases in edgeways evenly distributed around, then tightening until I could just get each one out. Then I cranked it evenly on each bolt. Worked fine. Now we are able to do it without all that.

Laura said:
Pashalis said:

Exactly. I think you got the same one we got and after figuring it out (which isn't too hard), we are using the heck out of it and will never have to buy a gasket!

The trickiest part is getting the lid tightened down evenly all around. I was slipping three CD cases in edgeways evenly distributed around, then tightening until I could just get each one out. Then I cranked it evenly on each bolt. Worked fine. Now we are able to do it without all that.

And if you get a little help and the right rythm, you can get up to 51 jars done per day on that cooker (17x3). We started using our smaller pressure cookers too, but leaving the jars in for 3 hours instead of 1 hour30, just to be sure. So, again, with the right timing, it's not too hard to get a few extras done.

We have negotiated good prices with our butcher, and we don't but anything that isn't under 5 euros a kilo. In fact, in average we're paying 3,5 - 4 euros a kilo. One of those 1 liter jars can feed several people for a day, so it seems like a very good deal overall. You can tell your butcher you are preparing for a conference with several people, or whatever, so that people don't get too suspicious, and negotiate good prices too. Gotta be smart to save money and get it done before prices go up, all the while not going crazy about it, because there is a balance to be found between preparing for an eventual crisis and showing the Universe that we still want to be useful in every way we can. You can't do this for greedy reasons. It has to be preparation for yourself and others, all the while "paying rent on life". OSIT.

Back
Top Bottom