Chelsea Manning

What struck me as odd in the video is Chelsea's outfit - dark blue with the white zipper - which gives a Navy military impression. Then to state, "she was "gathering intelligence" on the alt-right ..." just seems odd? Is it a subtle message that Chelsea is being monitored or controlled by Navy Intelligence?

It's been a long busy day and maybe my mind is working in "over-drive", although, Manning (as Bradley) was serving in Army Intelligence when arrested.

I'm still not sure what to think with this US Senate bid in Maryland?

My money is on her being greenbaumed. Maybe as Bradley she had strong moral principles, and the deep state decided to use her status at the time as a martyr to take advantage of this earned "street cred" to establish more credence as controlled opposition. A part of me wonders if her transexualism was also part of this programming. So far she seems to want to ingratiate herself with the wiles of The Resistance astroturfing in the wake of Trump's election. She was an army intelligence analyst... how innocent could such a person be in theory about the nature of the deep state, especially in light of the intelligence reports she leaked? Does the fact she was pardoned by Obama in the last leg of his presidency and released back into society mean anything?

whitecoast said:
angelburst29 said:
What struck me as odd in the video is Chelsea's outfit - dark blue with the white zipper - which gives a Navy military impression. Then to state, "she was "gathering intelligence" on the alt-right ..." just seems odd? Is it a subtle message that Chelsea is being monitored or controlled by Navy Intelligence?

It's been a long busy day and maybe my mind is working in "over-drive", although, Manning (as Bradley) was serving in Army Intelligence when arrested.

I'm still not sure what to think with this US Senate bid in Maryland?

My money is on her being greenbaumed. Maybe as Bradley she had strong moral principles, and the deep state decided to use her status at the time as a martyr to take advantage of this earned "street cred" to establish more credence as controlled opposition. A part of me wonders if her transexualism was also part of this programming. So far she seems to want to ingratiate herself with the wiles of The Resistance astroturfing in the wake of Trump's election. She was an army intelligence analyst... how innocent could such a person be in theory about the nature of the deep state, especially in light of the intelligence reports she leaked? Does the fact she was pardoned by Obama in the last leg of his presidency and released back into society mean anything?
I guess that's possible. I'm not sure what to think either, but something about her story from the very beginning seems off for what it's worth.

truth seeker said:
whitecoast said:
I guess that's possible. I'm not sure what to think either, but something about her story from the very beginning seems off for what it's worth.

I agree, "something about her story from the very beginning seems off ..."

Just a short re-cap:

* Manning spent 7 years in the Military prison system, a good percentage of that time spent in solidary confinement.

* Reports of 2 possible suicide attempts.

* The transgender flip - Bradley is now Chelsea.

* Who and what is behind Chelsea Manning being invited "as a visiting fellow" at Harvard’s Kennedy School? What was the intended purpose and what was behind the media blitz of Mike Morell resigning as a non-resident senior fellow? Was Morell's actions a public display, to suggest that the CIA wanted nothing to do with Manning (when the opposite might be closer to the truth?)

Former acting CIA chief Mike Morell resigns from Harvard in protest of Chelsea Manning invitation
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/14/michael-morell-former-cia-acting-director-resigns-/

The former deputy and acting director of the Central Intelligence Agency is resigning as a non-resident senior fellow from Harvard’s Kennedy School after Chelsea Manning was invited to be a visiting fellow this year.

In his resignation letter on Thursday, Michael J. Morell said he “cannot be part of an organization” that “honors a convicted felon and leaker of classified information.”

* January 12, 2018 - Chelsea Manning (30) files for US Senate bid in Maryland?

It takes "Million's of Dollars" to run for "any" Political office. Being unemployed, how is Chelsea Manning supporting herself financially since she was given a Dishonorable discharge from the Military? And what support group and who are the individuals behind Manning - seeking a U.S. Senate bid? What does Manning plan to accomplish as a U.S. Senator? (How does someone, who has just spent 7 years mainly in solidary confinement with less than a year out, run for a Political Office, let alone a Senate seat ... on a dime?) Is any of this scenario ... starting to make any logical sense ... YET?

On the flip side, Manning was arrested, due to passing on Classified Secret/NOFORN intelligence to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

* Assange moved into Ecuador’s embassy in London in 2012 to avoid arrest over now-dropped Swedish rape charges. He remains over fears he will be extradited to the United States and put on trial for WikiLeaks publishing leaked secret US military documents and diplomatic cables in 2010.

* Julian Assange (46) has been sheltered in the Ecuadorian embassy in London for five years.

* As of January 10, 2018, Assange was granted an Ecuadorian Passport.

* The government of Ecuador recently requested diplomatic status for Mr. Assange in the UK. The UK did not grant that request.

* Currently, Doctors are now raising the alarm over Assange’s health due to "Years of Confinement ".

The information that Manning passed onto Assange had to do with Afghanistan and Iraq. At present, the Pentagon/U.S./NATO forces are getting pushed out of Syria and Iraq but there has been a heavy military build up in Afghanistan and South Africa in recent months. Some of the classified documents might have contained plans for the latter two and both Assange and Manning were exposed to that information. Everything is speculation, at this point.

Adrian Lamo, Hacker Who Turned In Chelsea Manning, Dies at 37 3.17.2018
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/adrian-lamo-hacker-turned-chelsea-165403524.html

Hacker Adrian Lamo, who is perhaps best known for reporting whistleblower Chelsea Manning to the FBI, has died at age 37, according to a Facebook post from his father.

“With great sadness and a broken heart I have to let know all of Adrian’s friends and [acquaintances] that he is dead,” Mario Lamo posted in the 2600: The Hacker Quarterly group. “A bright mind and compassionate soul is gone, he was my beloved son.”

Lamo, who is known for hacking organizations including , and the New York Times, turned in Manning to the FBI after she told Lamo she had given classified military information to the whistleblower site WikiLeaks, Wired reports. Manning was eventually sentenced to 35 years in prison, though she was released in 2017 after her sentence was commuted by President Barack Obama.

Lamo’s cause of death has not been released, but his death was confirmed by the coroner in Sedgwick County, Kan., where he lived, ZDNet reports. A neighbor found his body, according to ZDNet.

"whitecoast, post: 748592, member: 6992"]My money is on her being greenbaumed. Maybe as Bradley she had strong moral principles, and the deep state decided to use her status at the time as a martyr to take advantage of this earned "street cred" to establish more credence as controlled opposition. A part of me wonders if her transexualism was also part of this programming. So far she seems to want to ingratiate herself with the wiles of The Resistance astroturfing in the wake of Trump's election. She was an army intelligence analyst... how innocent could such a person be in theory about the nature of the deep state, especially in light of the intelligence reports she leaked? Does the fact she was pardoned by Obama in the last leg of his presidency and released back into society mean anything?

I agree with other's she's been Gb-ed. She might have stepped over the Z-line on the 14th.
Bet "they" beamed her via satellite warfare.

TWITTER HORROR: Chelsea Manning Tweets Suicide Note and Picture of Herself on Ledge of a Tall Building
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/05/twitter-horror-chelsea-manning-tweets-suicide-note-and-picture-of-herself-on-ledge-of-a-tall-building/ May 27, 2018

48bf06270dba8424fc2cdd2bd27d2362.png

I agree with other's she's been Gb-ed. She might have stepped over the Z-line on the 14th.
Bet "they" beamed her via satellite warfare.
I wonder does Wachowski brothers/siblings/sisters was also beamed by this gender changing idea or reprogrammed in some other way. Maybe it was punishment for making The Matrix movies. ;)

Here is interview with Chelsea Manning where she is speaking about her suffering. Maybe she is also punished that way.

Thanks for Posting the video, Neonix. :-)

Just my opinion, Manning doesn't need hormone treatment - she/he needs de-programming from the treatment by the real "traitor's"?

Judge Napolitano: Chelsea Manning is not a traitor
Published on Sep 18, 2017 (5:37 min.)

Judge Napolitano, Fox News senior judicial analyst, explains that Chelsea Manning is not a traitor because she was convicted of espionage.

Chelsea Manning, who spent more than three years in prison for leaking US military secrets to WikiLeaks, was jailed again on Friday (March 8) for refusing to testify in a grand jury investigation targeting the anti-secrecy group.

Mar 9, 2019 - Chelsea Manning jailed for refusal to testify in WikiLeaks case

Chelsea Manning jailed for refusal to testify in WikiLeaks case

US District Judge Claude Hilton ordered Manning to be held not as punishment but to force her testimony in the secret case, according to a spokesman for the US attorney in the Alexandria, Virginia federal court.

"Chelsea Manning has been remanded into federal custody for her refusal to provide testimony" to a grand jury, said a statement from the Sparrow Project, a support group for Manning.

They cited Hilton as saying Manning would be held indefinitely "until she purges or the end of the life of the grand jury."

Manning, 31, was ruled in contempt of court after refusing earlier this week to testify for an investigation into actions by WikiLeaks and its founder Julian Assange in 2010, according to her own description, inadvertent court revelations and media reports.

Published on Mar 8, 2019 (1:09 min.)

Remanding Chelsea Manning into federal custody for contempt on Friday, jailing her for invoking her constitutional rights, refusing to answer prosecutorial and grand juror questions, is one of countless examples of grand jury abuses of power – symptomatic of police state rule, how things work in the US.

March 09, 2019 - The Arrest of Chelsea Manning. Unconstitutional US Grand Jury System

The Arrest of Chelsea Manning. Unconstitutional US Grand Jury System - Global Research

Manning was constitutionally justified saying:
“I will not comply with this, or any grand jury. Imprisoning me for my refusal to answer questions only subjects me to additional punishment for my repeatedly-stated ethical objections to the grand jury system,” adding:
“The grand jury’s questions pertained to disclosures from nine years ago, and took place six years after an in-depth computer forensics case in which I testified for almost a full day about these events. I stand by my previous public testimony.”
“I will not participate in a secret process that I morally (and legally) object to, particularly one that has been historically used to entrap and persecute activists for protected political speech.”
“…I resent being forced to endanger myself by participating in this predatory practice.” In response to each question asked, she said:

“I object to the question and refuse to answer on the grounds that the question is in violation of my First, Fourth, and Sixth Amendment, and other statutory rights.”

Her response was and remains constitutionally protected. That’s not good enough in America, the rule of law long ago abandoned. Congressionally and judicially supported executive diktat power replaced it.

Forever wars of aggression against nations threatening no one is Exhibit A. So are numerous police state laws of the land, largely enacted post-9/11 – the USA Patriot Act most abusive.

It’s unconstitutional for violating the First, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments. Americans can be prosecuted for claimed association with “undesirable group(s).”

They’re subjected to unreasonable searches and seizures by unchecked surveillance powers of the state, their privacy compromised.

Due process, habeas rights, and equal justice under law greatly eroded. All of the above are hallmarks of police state rule.

Manning’s First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Eight Amendment rights were violated. She was wrongfully imprisoned for invoking her free expression rights, justifiably revealing US high crimes of war and against humanity in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Subjecting her to unreasonable searches and seizures violated her Fourth Amendment rights. Her Fifth Amendment rights of due process, protection from self-incrimination, and possible double jeopardy were violated.

So was her Sixth Amendment right of a public trial represented by counsel, an impartial jury, and nature of possible charges against her.

Subjecting her to cruel and unusual punishments, including the threat to her freedom and well-being, by demanding she testify before a grand jury in secret without counsel violated her Fifth, Sixth, and Eight Amendment rights.

As originally conceived, the grand jury system was established as a “sword” against individuals accused of crimes, as well as a “shield” against oppressive, arbitrary authority.

A former New York Court of Appeals chief judge once said under the US grand jury system, prosecutors control what jurors hear. Their manipulative practices can “indict a ham sandwich” – an overstatement to highlight an unjust system.

The Supreme Court earlier ruled that federal grand jury prosecutors need not adhere to customary trial rules and procedures. Nor must they reveal evidence exculpating defendants.

Instead of protecting the public from oppressive government, they function largely as a “sword” against fundamental constitutional rights because of their manipulative practices, doing whatever it takes to get indictments they seek.

Grand juries are convened to determine if there’s probable cause to indict, most often a super-majority of jurors required, at times a simple majority.

Instead of being a protective “community voice,” most often they’re a prosecutorial tool to indict – an unconstitutional system that should have been restructured or abolished long ago.

Civil Liberties Defense Center (CLDC) founder and executive director Lauren Regan explained grand jury abuses, saying:

“…I have represented dozens and dozens of clients who were subpoenaed to testify as witnesses at State and Federal Grand Juries regarding government investigations.”
“A grand jury is a secret tribunal where a citizen is forced to answer questions by a prosecutor, often against their will.”
“They are not allowed to have an attorney in the grand jury room to advise them while the questioning takes place. There is no Judge in the grand jury room to oversee the fairness or legitimacy of the proceedings.”
“The prosecutor alone determines what evidence will be provided to the grand jurors, and that alone forms the basis of their deliberations and their determination regarding whether a felony indictment will issue.”
“The prosecutor becomes the grand jurors’ friend: he (or she) controls their bathroom breaks, meals, and whether they can return to their work, families, and lives.”
“The prosecutor, a politically elected position, works very closely with police every day and generally exhibits bias toward police as a result of this familiar relationship. The prosecutor holds enormous power over the outcome of a grand jury proceeding.”
Witnesses risk unwitting self-incrimination, even when guilty of no crimes, denied their Fifth Amendment right to remain silent in cases where prosecutors impose immunity – yet able to game the system to their advantage if wanting a witness indicted.

That’s why Manning refused to cooperate, invoking her constitutional rights to remain silent, free from possible self-incrimination, along with potentially helping the prosecutor build a case against another targeted individual – namely Julian Assange, why the grand jury she was called before to testify was convened in the first place.

Eastern District of Virginia court Judge Claude Hilton ordered her detained unless she agrees to testify, or until the grand jury she was subpoenaed to appear before concludes its work.

She could be detained as a political prisoner indefinitely. At the completion of the current grand jury’s work, she can be subpoenaed to testify before a newly convened grand jury – a way to keep her imprisoned.

That’s what oppressive rule is all about, the rights of many thousands of Americans violated – countless numbers for political reasons like Manning.

“I Know No One More Patriotic”: Daniel Ellsberg Praises Chelsea Manning After She Is Jailed Again
U.S. Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning has been sent back to jail after refusing to answer questions before a grand jury investigating WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange. Manning had been subpoenaed by federal prosecutors in Virginia’s Eastern District to appear for questioning about her 2010 leak to WikiLeaks of hundreds of thousands of State Department and Pentagon documents about the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Manning was imprisoned from 2010 to 2017 for the leak. President Obama commuted her sentence before he left office. We speak with Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg about the significance of Chelsea Manning’s actions.
Published on Mar 11, 2019 (7:49 min.)
Glenn Greenwald: Chelsea Manning’s Refusal to Testify Against WikiLeaks Will Help Save Press Freedom
Chelsea Manning has been sent back to jail after refusing to answer questions before a grand jury investigating WikiLeaks and its founder Julian Assange. Manning, a U.S. Army whistleblower, had been subpoenaed by federal prosecutors in Virginia’s Eastern District to appear for questioning about her 2010 leak to WikiLeaks of hundreds of thousands of State Department and Pentagon documents about the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We speak with Glenn Greenwald, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and one of the founding editors of The Intercept.
Published on Mar 11, 2019 (8:06 min.)

Chelsea Manning has been released from a US prison after 62 days of incarceration. Her “crime” was refusing to testify before a secret grand jury over matters that could compromise the safety of individuals involved with Wikileaks including and especially Julian Assange.

May 10, 2019 - Chelsea Manning’s Release is Not What it Seems
Chelsea Manning's Release is Not What it Seems - Eurasia Future

Due to her refusal to testify, she was sentenced to a term in prison that would expire only if Manning decided to testify or otherwise, when the grand jury and concluded its work. The particular grand jury whose session was the proximate “justification” for Manning’s imprisonment has just concluded and therefore Manning has been released. However, a new grand jury seeking Manning’s testimony is set to begin in less than a week. This could mean that Manning will likely face the grim prospect of going back into prison due to her on the record remarks detailing her principled stand to defend press freedom and the rights of journalists. Far from receiving the genuine freedom she deserves, a temporary reprieve from prison before likely going straight back to the same prison cell is not freedom at all – it is a form of psychological torture.

A statement that Manning recently submitting to a court ought to be compulsory reading for anyone who wants to know what makes Manning a political prisoner in an outrageously unjust circumstance. Her remarks submitted earlier this week can be read below in full:

“UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF VIRGINIA
In re: Grand Jury Subpoena, )
)
CHELSEA MANNING, )
)
Subpoenaed Party. )
___________________________)
1. My name is Chelsea Elizabeth Manning. I am competent to be a witness, and I
possess personal knowledge of the facts set forth below.

2. Currently I am confined at the Alexandria Detention Center (“ADC”), in Alexandria,
Virginia, following a finding of civil contempt on March 8, 2019, for refusing to
cooperate in a grand jury investigation that I believe relates to events already
disclosed in exhaustive testimony in 2013, including the extent of my knowledge.

3. Initially, after arriving at ADC, the jail placed me in Administrative Segregation
(“adseg”) status, despite the stated concerns of myself and my legal representatives
regarding the effects of prolonged isolation compounding the trauma I suffered in a
year of solitary confinement during my previous time in confinement. I stayed on
adseg for 28 days, without any misbehavior or ill will on my or anyone else’s part to
rationalize such isolation. This isolation caused extraordinary pain for me.

4. While in adseg, I suffered many of the ill effects of prolonged isolation as described
by former United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture Juan Mendez. For instance,
consistent with the research of former Harvard Medical School professor Stuart
Grassian, I experienced difficulty keeping attention on anything, sometimes referred
to as a “dissociative stupor.” Thinking and concentrating get harder. Anxiety,
Page 1 of 8

DECLARATION

19-1287-cv
Case 1:19-dm-00003-CMH Document 29-1 Filed 05/06/19 Page 1 of 8 PageID# 453
frustration with minor things, irritation, and a spiraling inability to tolerate each symptom take hold. At one point I started feeling ill during a short visit in a noncontact visit booth while struggling to have even a normal conversation. After weeks of under-stimulation, I became nauseated with vertigo and vomited on the floor, ending my visit prematurely. Such symptoms make up what Grassian describes as a special psychiatric syndrome caused by prolonged solitary confinement. Many of the effects last permanently after only fifteen (15) days of isolation.

5. After public outcry and pressure, the ADC released me into general population (“GP”) after 28 days of isolation.

6. After two months of confinement, and using every legal mechanism available so far, I can – without any hesitation – state that nothing that will convince me to testify before this or any other grand jury for that matter. This experience so far only proves my long held belief that grand juries are simply outdated tools used by the federal government to harass and disrupt political opponents and activists in fishing expeditions. Without committing a federal crime, and after exhaustive testimony at a trial several years ago, I am again ripped from my life by a vindictive and politically motivated investigation and prosecution. The way I am being treated proves what a corrupt and abusive tool the grand jury truly is. With each passing day my disappointment and frustration grow, but so too do my commitments to doing the right thing and continuing to refuse to submit.

7. My decision not to testify before grand juries is rooted in the study of history and philosophical principles. Many times in this nation’s history, people who speak out or express dissent against the government face disproportionate repression. One of the

Page 2 of 8
Case 1:19-dm-00003-CMH Document 29-1 Filed 05/06/19 Page 2 of 8 PageID# 454
most common tools to silence dissent, the grand jury, attempts to sow distrust within activists’ organizations and communities through secrecy and compelling exhaustive and redundant testimony aimed at identifying other members of that community.

8. I understand that this grand jury related to my disclosures of classified and unclassified but sensitive information and records in 2010. I acted alone in these disclosures. The government is still preoccupied with punishing me, despite a court martial, sentence, and presidential commutation nearly two years ago. This can be seen in statements and actions by several administration officials, especially the current secretary of state, who threatened Harvard University over a low-paid speaking engagement in 2017, when he was Director of Central Intelligence. This speaks compellingly to my rationale for both my disclosures, for which I already served time, and my present refusal to cooperate with an increasingly frightening and untrustworthy government. Let me state clearly, again, that my actions were my own.

9. I believe my principles allow me to focus on helping others, and to challenge the use of power to coerce or manipulate people. Such coercive power forms what I define as “violence,” and the “threat of violence” which powerful institutions attempt to
accumulate to obtain more power.

10. I do not believe, nor do I possess any reasonable evidence to believe that participating in this grand jury could lead to any new theories of criminal liability for any person. I took responsibility for my actions over six years ago. I find it difficult to comprehend
that the Department of Justice believes that my redundant testimony could actually provide any value to an investigation. Their stated reasons appear disingenuous at best and outright malicious at worst. The government’s theories contradict not only

Page 3 of 8
Case 1:19-dm-00003-CMH Document 29-1 Filed 05/06/19 Page 3 of 8 PageID# 455
my testimony, but the forensic evidence the military possesses. Therefore, I suspect they are simply interested in previewing my potential testimony as a defense witness, and attempting to undermine my testimony without the benefit of reviewing forensic
evidence. This justifies my theory that participating in this investigation functions simply to abuse the justice system for political ends.

11. I believe this grand jury seeks to undermine the integrity of public discourse with the aim of punishing those who expose any serious, ongoing, and systemic abuses of power by this government, as well as the rest of the international community. Therefore, participating in this fishing expedition – which potentially exposes other innocent people to the grand jury process – would constitute an unjustifiable and unethical action. Now, after sustaining serious psychological injury from my current confinement, I don’t wish to expose any other person to the trauma and exhaustion of civil contempt or other forms of prison or coercion.

12. In jail at ADC, I try every day to maintain my physical, mental, and intellectual capacities, as well as some modicum of human dignity. I live a quiet social life in a housing unit that holds a dozen people, who rotate frequently. I try to occupy myself with crossword and sudoku puzzles in the absence of good reading material. I try to stay positive despite the aftermath of isolation and the knowledge that my life once again is put on hold for a few more years, potentially. With limited books, I read what I can, though most are books that are either already read by me or are simply bad. I am re-accustomed to the intrusion and lack of privacy of frequent searches and heavy surveillance.

Page 4 of 8
Case 1:19-dm-00003-CMH Document 29-1 Filed 05/06/19 Page 4 of 8 PageID# 456
13. I arrived at ADC with concerns and anxiety about my physical health, particularly so soon after gender confirmation surgery in October. My post-surgery regimen requires delicate and regular self-care at least twice daily, including the use of anti-bacterial soap and dilators. Otherwise, I risk serious medical complications, including permanent injury or deadly infections. I worry about dilating in an environment rife with poor hygiene and with limited time and no privacy. I worry about seeing medical professionals with knowledge about post-operative care if complications develop, which I have reason to think has already happened. I worry about regular access to
daily hormones. Unfortunately, despite initial assurances by jail and U.S. Marshal Service (“U.S.M.S.”) officials, such efforts normally come slower and are very limited. It appears that I have already developed some complications during my stay at ADC. Medical staff acknowledges they lack expertise to examine or assist me appropriately, In response, I requested outside professionals at my own expense over three weeks ago. Despite this, I remain unseen by a professional competent to treat me. Every passing day further complicates my medical care and health, exposing me to permanent, intractable complications. The intrinsic bureaucracy and formality of ADC and USMS policy risks me to permanent harm. I do not know how serious these complications are, but I may need costly reparative surgery upon my release, causing me even more permanent injury and psychological harm, not to mention the expensive medical bills.

14. In an ideal world, agreeing to cooperate would avoid this situation, however, this government abuses the grand jury process, and forces me to choose between an

Page 5 of 8
Case 1:19-dm-00003-CMH Document 29-1 Filed 05/06/19 Page 5 of 8 PageID# 457
unethical decision and suffering intimate and permanent consequences for doing the right thing. I am not willing to compromise for my own physical benefit.

15. This decision comes at an overwhelming cost, My physical and mental health deteriorate rapidly in conditions normally reserved for short term confinement. I am almost entirely without sunlight. My skin regularly breaks out from bacterial infections. I gain weight due to poor nutrition, currently at nearly twenty pounds since March.

16. Sleep and concentration remain difficult. Mental health access remains limited, without access to comprehensive treatment for complex post-traumatic stress — stemming in part from previous confinement conditions.

17. My business now falters, without me able to appear at speaking engagements or professional consultations. I recently laid off a valuable and trusted employee. Numerous existing contracts remain vulnerable, likely needing renegotiation or outright cancellation. My friends and colleagues suffer from the impact of my absence, causing me to worry endlessly about their health and well being. I missed the premier event of a documentary about my commutation in which dozens of my friends reunited afterward.

18. I sometimes see visitors, but only in a non-contact booth, with inches of glass between us. This makes visitation uncomfortable, surreal, and saddening.

19. I receive between dozens and several hundred letters a day. I lack the resources or time to respond to even a small fraction of these. The impact on my friends and supporters feels overwhelming and makes me feel lonely.

Page 6 of 8
Case 1:19-dm-00003-CMH Document 29-1 Filed 05/06/19 Page 6 of 8 PageID# 458
20. I receive enormous support from all around the world. My family and close friends all support me and express their pride of me. It’s emotionally overwhelming sometimes to see their unwavering generosity. I receive warmth and strength from colleagues, educators, lawyers, diplomats, activists, factory workers, veterans, journalists, union leaders, store clerks, gardeners, chefs, airplane pilots, and politicians from all across the U.S. and the world at large, every class, culture, and age imaginable.

21. Despite the heartbreak and hardship, cooperation with this grand jury is simply not an option. Doing so would mean throwing away all of my principles, accomplishments, sacrifices, and erase decades of my reputation – an obvious impossibility.

22. As before, I cannot regain the lost time – which may again extend to years. Repairing the damage to my relationships and both my physical and mental health might never come to pass. Whatever one might make of my principles and decisions, I shall continue to make hard choices and sacrifices rather than relinquish my ethical positions in exchange for mere trinkets of personal gain or self-pleasure in the form of being released.

23. Over the past decade, I grappled with bouts of depression. I can think of nothing that could exacerbate those struggles more than pretending to live as someone I am not once again, and turning my back on everything I care about and fight for. Jail, and prison, exist as an archaic institution hiding the basest stream of dehumanizing and humiliating behaviors by the government — a trail of mounting loss and pain. Here, behind the event horizon, I remain certain that losing the approval, trust, and acceptance of my friends, family, and supporters would make this situation worse.

Page 7 of 8
Case 1:19-dm-00003-CMH Document 29-1 Filed 05/06/19 Page 7 of 8 PageID# 459
24. I wish to return home. I want to return to my work — writing, speaking, consulting, and teaching. The idea I hold the keys to my own cell is an absurd one, as I face the prospect of suffering either way due to this unnecessary and punitive subpoena: I can either go to jail or betray my principles. The latter exists as a much worse prison than the government can construct.

25. I digress a bit – but the point is, I’m not going to change my mind. Not now, not ever. So be it.

I declare under penalty of perjury of the laws of the United States that the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

Dated: May 5, 2019
Alexandria, VA”

The entire statement bears reading as it proves that in an age of avarice and opportunism, genuine individuals with sincere principles still exist. Two such individuals are Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange.

Chelsea Manning's Statement on Release from Jail and Second Grand Jury Subpeona
Published on May 10, 2019 (3:13 min.)

Two months ago, the federal government summoned me before a federal grand jury in the Eastern District of Virginia.

As a general principle, I object to grand juries. Prosecutors run grand juries behind closed doors and in secret, without a judge present.

Fresh off a 62-day incarceration for defying a grand jury subpoena, Chelsea Manning, the former U.S. Army intelligence analyst and anti-secrecy activist, was remanded again Thursday afternoon after a federal judge held her in contempt of court.

May 16, 2019 - Chelsea Manning ordered back to jail for defying grand jury subpoena (Video)
Chelsea Manning ordered back to jail for defying grand jury subpoena
PHOTO: Former military intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning speaks to the press ahead of a Grand Jury appearance about WikiLeaks, in Alexandria, Va., May 16, 2019

Eric Baradat/AFP/Getty Images Former military intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning speaks to the press ahead of a Grand Jury appearance about WikiLeaks.

United States Marshals took Manning back into custody at the U.S. District Courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia, Thursday afternoon after she refused to cooperate, yet again, with a subpoena to testify before another secret federal grand jury.

Manning was set free last Thursday when the first grand jury’s term expired. Upon release, however, prosecutors hit her with a second subpoena to appear Thursday before a separate grand jury.

“No matter what happens today,” Manning said, “I’m not going to comply with this grand jury.”
After Thursday’s hearing, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, G. Zachary Terwilliger, told reporters that the “only thing being asked of [Manning] is to answer questions truthfully.”

Manning’s latest confinement will persist until she complies with the subpoena or until the grand jury expires, U.S. Judge Anthony Trenga said in court on Thursday. Unlike her first confinement, after 30 days, Manning will be subject to a daily fine of $500. After 60 days, Manning will face a fine of $1,000 per day.

Federal grand juries are impaneled for a maximum of 18 months, but it is unclear how long this particular grand jury has been on duty.

While the nature of the grand jury’s probe remains unknown, it convenes at the same federal court where prosecutors recently filed charges against WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange.

Manning gained prominence when she was sentenced to 35 years in prison in 2013 for the unauthorized disclosure of classified materials made public by WikiLeaks in 2010. Her sentence was commuted by President Barack Obama in 2017.

“In 2010, Chelsea took a principled decision to let the world see the true nature of modern asymmetric warfare,” Moira Meltzer-Cohen, an attorney for Manning, said Thursday. “It is telling that the U.S. has always been concerned with the disclosure of those documents than their damning substance.”

Assange was indicted in April on a computer hacking charge for his role Manning’s disclosure of those documents, a scheme the government called "one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States."

Assange remains in Great Britain, where he is fighting extradition to the United States to face charges.

At a short press conference prior to a Thursday hearing, Manning said she was prepared to return to jail “indefinitely” rather than testify.

Judge orders former U.S. soldier and WikiLeaks source Manning back to jail
Former U.S. Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning is seen speaking to reporters outside the U.S. federal courthouse in this frame grab from video taken shortly before she entered the coourthouse to appear before a federal judge regarding a federal grand jury investigation of WikiLeaks in Alexandria, Virginia, U.S. May 16, 2019. REUTERS/Courtesy of NBC News

A U.S. judge on Thursday found former U.S. soldier and WikiLeaks source Chelsea Manning in contempt of court for refusing to testify before a federal grand jury and ordered her back to jail, a law enforcement official said.

Back
Top Bottom