Chicken Tikka Masalla

Keyhole

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Here is a recipe I quickly came up with last night and I am going to experiment with different spices and see what can be done. However, I was pretty impressed with the first result.

Ingredients

For the Masala (mixture of spices)
Two heaped tablespoons coriander powder
Half a teaspoon coriander seeds
Half a teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder (not to be confused with the common lookalike Cassia)
2 1/2 tablespoons ginger powder
6 cardomon pods
Half a teaspoon clove powder
1 teaspoon onion granules
1 tablespoon black pepper, crushed
1 Bay leaf, crumbled with fingers

Other Ingredients
1 Large onion sliced
A 0.7kg Chicken
6 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups of Redfox's "tomato" sauce
Half a lemon juiced (optional)
100-150g of ghee/butter/lard
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste (optional)
Fresh coriander leaf to serve (optional)

Method

1. De-bone the chicken. Use all meat on the chicked and chop into thin slices or chunks. Keep carcass for broth or discard. Cover and set aside.

2. Add the ginger powder, cinnamon, clove, cardomon pods, coriander powder, coriander seeds, turmeric, black pepper, onion granules and bay leaf into a pestle and mortar and crush until fine and powdery.

3. Chop the garlic into chunks and add to the spice mix in the pestle and mortar, crush the garlic chunks until they form a Masala paste.

4. Add 40g of ghee to a large saucepan or wok on a moderate heat. Then add the Masala paste and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the sliced onion to the pan, stir and then cover. Allow the onions to cook with the mixture until soft and translucent. TIP: You may want to add small amounts of water to the pan at intervals of 4-5 minutes to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom and burning.

5. Once the onions are translucent, add the chicken slices and cook on a moderately high heat for 4 minutes until the chicken is mostly white in colour on the outside.

6. Then add the "tomato" sauce to the mixture. You can also add in a few pinches of salt at this point and also the rest of the ghee. Stir until the well-mixed and cover with a lid and allow to simmer on a low heat for a minimum of 30 minutes (longer if possible).

7. Taste! If you would like it to be extra spicey add more black pepper! When it has finished cooking, you can add a dash of lemon juice and mix in to give it bit of a twist if you like

8. Enjoy your meal.

Attachments

• 20150814_192535.jpg
    20150814_192535.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 332
  • 20150814_192627.jpg
    20150814_192627.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 324
That looks so tasty! I miss Indian food, so this is something to try for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

That looks and sounds lovely! We will have to try it!

Yummy! Are you going to make a video? The last ones you guys made were great!

It looks too good, thanks for sharing. :)
I'm doing something similarly, I add more Mediterranean herbs and instead
Keyhole said:
TIP: You may want to add small amounts of water to the pan at intervals of 4-5 minutes to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom and burning.
I add the liquid from the soup (the stock)

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this when I have time and have played around with RedFox's "nomato" sauce. Haven't had Indian food going on two decades.

:wow: this looks SO good!

What's the salad you're having with it in the picture btw? :)

I wonder how good this will taste with cauliflower rice, or sweet potato chips, so many options :clap:

Chu said:
Yummy! Are you going to make a video? The last ones you guys made were great!
Yeah we have actually got a few planned but just havn't got round to doing them yet. Will work on these soon.

Lilyalic said:
What's the salad you're having with it in the picture btw? :)
Its just chopped and boiled cabbage with some fresh coriander leaf on top. And yeah, the chicken is meant to be raw :D

Keyhole said:
Its just chopped and boiled cabbage with some fresh coriander leaf on top. And yeah, the chicken is meant to be raw :D

Thanks! I completely forgot about cabbage lol, it's so nice!

The minute I seen you recipe I had to make it, it tastes the closest I've ever had to "real" curry.

With white sweet P chips & cauliflower rice, omg! :)

Lilyalic said:
Keyhole said:

Thanks! I completely forgot about cabbage lol, it's so nice!

The minute I seen you recipe I had to make it, it tastes the closest I've ever had to "real" curry.

With white sweet P chips & cauliflower rice, omg! :)
Awesome, glad you liked it. Ever since going keto and cutting out coconut I have tried to make curry on several occasions and havent had much luck, but like you said this one is alot like proper one. :D

it may just be that Chicken tikka masalla is my absolute favourite dish but i've never made it because the idea of the spices was a bit daunting; thanks for sharing Keyhole, this one i'll have to try, the sauce looks yummerz :bacon:

Back
Top Bottom