Chupacabra photo? Or a hairless squirrel?

SlavaOn

Jedi Master
This photo came from Tumen region of Russia. I am not sure if this article requires a login to access or not: https://vk.com/kosmopoisk?w=away-170107_95929
It is in Russian language. There is a link there to a file server that allegedly has a collection of chupakabra's related photo, but I did not like their "human verification" procedure that required to sent SMS message to some number...

Attachments

• chupakabra.jpg
    chupakabra.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 256
Re: Chupakabra's photo

Apparently this was identified as a hairless squirrel. :)

_https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=523741084342175&set=a.262353923814227.62558.187593801290240&type=1&permPage=1&_fb_noscript=1

_http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/06/what-the-devil-is-this-thing-spotted-in-new-jersey/

Vulcan59 said:

Now it makes sense! Because at the beginning I thought that it was a hairless dog, but then the tail was too long, including the fingers.

Keit said:
Vulcan59 said:

Now it makes sense! Because at the beginning I thought that it was a hairless dog, but then the tail was too long, including the fingers.

Squirrel on steroids! The feet and face are way too big for one. I find it closer in resemblance to a rat based on its tail and body, but the head is huge.

Turgon said:
Squirrel on steroids! The feet and face are way too big for one. I find it closer in resemblance to a rat based on its tail and body, but the head is huge.

Looks like there could be some kind of object next to the jaw of the animal that could either be a nut or something from the tree, or perhaps a malformation or tumor or something if it is actually part of the animal. If you take that away, the head seem the appropriate size.

I once listened to a talk from Lorain Cordain, known mostly for his work on bigfoot. I asked him about chupakabras and his take is that he hasn't come across too many cases that seem valid, and most are hairless animals with some type of disease.

Renaissance said:
Turgon said:

Looks like there could be some kind of object next to the jaw of the animal that could either be a nut or something from the tree, or perhaps a malformation or tumor or something if it is actually part of the animal. If you take that away, the head seem the appropriate size.

I once listened to a talk from Lorain Cordain, known mostly for his work on bigfoot. I asked him about chupakabras and his take is that he hasn't come across too many cases that seem valid, and most are hairless animals with some type of disease.

I zoomed in and took a closer look at the details around the head and face, and on second glance it could very well be a squirrel carrying a nut in its mouth. At first I thought it was a jaw.

Turgon said:
Renaissance said:
Turgon said:

I zoomed in and took a closer look at the details around the head and face, and on second glance it could very well be a squirrel carrying a nut in its mouth. [...]

I think that makes sense and it looks to me also very squirrel like.

Re: Chupacabra photo?

in taking a look to Vulcan59's links you have a hairless squirrel with a nut in the mouth.

Vulcan59 said:

_https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=523741084342175&set=a.262353923814227.62558.187593801290240&type=1&permPage=1&_fb_noscript=1

_http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/06/what-the-devil-is-this-thing-spotted-in-new-jersey/

Yeah, if you look at the head and the position of the eyes, it matches a squirrel, just no fur.

Turgon said:
I zoomed in and took a closer look at the details around the head and face, and on second glance it could very well be a squirrel carrying a nut in its mouth. At first I thought it was a jaw.

Indeed! The problem is, more or less no one has ever seen a hairless squirrel before. Their cuteness comes from their cuddly hairyness after all. We should always take this into consideration when presented with such "strange creatures", and add the fur or hair back first. The more hairy or furry an animal, the more bizarre it looks without it.

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 150
SlavaOn said:
This photo came from Tumen region of Russia. I am not sure if this article requires a login to access or not: https://vk.com/kosmopoisk?w=away-170107_95929
It is in Russian language. There is a link there to a file server that allegedly has a collection of chupakabra's related photo, but I did not like their "human verification" procedure that required to sent SMS message to some number...

I agree with others, it's a squirrel, just not a particularly cute one :P When translated to English, the article you linked says: "'67 rabbits at a time': in the village of Vinzili Chupacabra at night choking creatures". When compared to the size of the fence board this little animal looks too small to choke a rabbit. Let alone 67 of them - at a time!

Also, is there a charge for sending the text message you mentioned? If there is, that's clearly a money making scheme feeding off people's curiosity and/or sensation seeking. If there isn't, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a way to create a database of potential client contacts. Lots of marketing companies do it and then they sell entire spreadsheets with such details to whoever wants to pay for them. It happens even in corporate world where contact details are sold to or even between suppliers and vendors.

So people who did in fact pay to check out some chupacabras may soon start receiving calls regarding insurance policies, vacuum cleaners or tarot readings. :lol:

SlavaOn said:
A hairless squirrel in Sibera will not have a single chance to survive the next winter :(

Well...neither does a tiny hairless chupacabra :P. Not to mention that the photo might not have been taken in Siberia at all. ;)

Back
Top Bottom