Comet and Asteroids

Comet ATLAS is here, and it has developed a sunward spike! Electrifying!

Materialist astronomers are currently busy explaining this away as mere "optical illusion". :lol:

Kevin-Giusti-atlas-oct-13_1728884866_lg.jpg

If you're in Europe, and it's relatively clear skies, look southwest this evening from around 8pm CET (times will vary depending on your exact location).

ADDED: As seen from Japan:

Last edited:
Adrano / SW Etna / Sicily - South Italy
14 Oct 2024 evening
Tsuchinshan-ATLAS C/2023 A3

IMG_5007.jpeg

IMG_5006.jpeg

IMG_4996.jpeg

We were on our way driving from Catania to Adrano in order to see the family and talking about the comet. I recalled that the comet could be seen around 40-50 min after sunset in the west.

So we looked - but didn’t find it (the after sunset the scenery (1) along the horizon was magnificent, with far reaching sights across the hilly inland of Sicily bathing in a red-yellow-bronze light - absolutely stunning to watch. (The photo however was taken from a different point along the busy road, which didn’t have the wide outlook of the hilly horizon)

However we didn’t see any comet.

Once we reached the town of Adrano, taking a cigarette break - i moved along the street and suddenly could spot the comet through a free patch of sky among then many trees in the towns center.

The height was around 14 degrees above the horizon. Bright Planet Venus located relatively close to the comet to the left and a little lower above the horizon. Giving a good way to locate the comet more easily.

20-25 min later, on a huge balcony at my husbands sister, i could spot the comet easily just short of a house. The long tail surprised me. While only equipped with an iPhone 15, the tail turned out remarkably well in the photo. Also that surprised me.

Greeting to you all from Sicily 💞

Wow, this comet just gets more interesting.
Last time it may have been this way was approximately when Kantek exploded, and “angels fell to earth”.

“Discovery and naming
The Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert System (ATLAS) telescope in South Africa discovered Comet C/2023 A3 on February 22, 2023.
Additionally, observers at Purple Mountain (Zijin Shin or Tsuchinshan) Observatory in China found the comet independently on images from January 9, 2023. Therefore, the comet also has the nickname Tsuchinshan-ATLAS.

At discovery, the comet was still 7.3 astronomical units (AU) from the sun, and shining at a dim magnitude of 18.

Preliminary analysis of its trajectory suggests Comet A3 completes an orbit around the sun every 80,660 years. However, that doesn’t mean it’s been here before or will be back in 80,000 years. According to Karl Battams, a scientist who works on the SOHO/LASCO and Sungrazer Project for the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, the comet is most certainly dynamically new from the Oort Cloud and it’s not possible to model back if it had been near the sun in the ancient past. Battams also said:
Its orbit has now been tweaked (shortened) by the sun but still is absurdly long, and puts it back out into the Oort Cloud where, more than likely, it’ll get nudged again by a passing star system, and will never return. … So Neanderthals definitely did NOT see this comet, and some distant alien civilization is more likely than humans are to see it.”

AEC595DE-4DD2-42DD-BC90-936E019C9FF6.jpeg
Comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan–ATLAS is a long-period comet, with an 80,000-year orbit around the sun. In this illustration, the turquoise line represents the path of A3 into the inner solar system. Its orbit around the sun is retrograde, meaning that the comet moves in the opposite direction to most major solar system planets. Its perihelion distance – closest point to the sun – came on September 27, 2024, when it was 0.39 astronomical units (AU, or Earth-sun distances) from our star. The comet was closest to Earth on October 12. Image via University of Arizona/ CSS/ D. Rankin.

Back
Top Bottom