Comments and Warnings About Diets and Supplementation

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I had thought that posting the research and disclaiming my own experiences as MY OWN would have been sufficient to keep readers focused on doing their own research and finding what works for them in a balanced and reasonable way. For the most part, this has been true. A recent discovery has made me decide to write this post.

A QFS/forum member has been in regular email contact with me about his dietary changes. As far as I could tell, he was doing everything right and should not be having any problems. He should have been feeling better every day, but for some reason, it just wasn't happening. On top of that, he developed a really serious problem that presented as a pinched nerve or constricted nerve which caused partial paralysis. This got worse over a period of a few months to the point where he lost about 80% of the use of his arm/hand. Now, that's pretty serious!

So, thinking it was just a pinched nerve and that maybe the medical taping protocol might help him, I asked him to come to see us and spend a couple days so we could test the idea. (He had already been to several doctors, had numerous tests done, and no solution so far.)

He arrived and I was shocked at how bad his arm was and immediately applied the tape so we could have a good "test."

So, the next day came and went and no improvement. (He never had any pain with it, so pain was not the issue.) Then, the second night passed and the morning arrived when he was to return to his home. He arrived in the kitchen with his bag of supplements and all of us (including Dr. Psyche) had a look at what he had brought with him. "Where's the magnesium?" He said he didn't bring that with him... "What kind are you taking? Where do you get it? How much do you pay for it?" (all important questions as we are always looking for better or more convenient sources) - and here is where the solution began to become apparent. He said that he was taking the 20 gram packets of Chlorure de Magnesium that he would get from his local pharmacy.

Every day he was taking this stuff.

Not only is it the wrong form of magnesium to be ingesting, it is a HUGE amount to take in one day. But he was so sure that it was for magnesium supplementation because it was sold in the pharmacy in little 20 gram packs...

Well, I have one of those packets in front of me right now. I'm not sure what the pharmacy sells it for, but I assume it is to make a soaking solution or as a laxative if it is taken internally.

So, our poor friend was taking a major laxative every day for months, struggling to figure out why his intestines and bowels were going crazy, losing probably all his nutrients to diarrhea, and that could very well be at the root of his nerve/arm problem.

In short, by now, he is suffering from acute scurvy, probably!

The question in my mind was why didn't he know from reading the magnesium thread that MgCl was NOT the correct form of magnesium to take internally (unless one wants to purge!) and that 20 grams a day was WAY too much???

I haven't got an answer to that question yet, I can only assume that he did not do his own research and study carefully his own machine and gently test things out one by one before he plunged in and undertook to do something on a daily basis for months, with no sign of improvement.

Okay, that's the first thing I wanted to talk about. The second is a few discoveries I have made along the way since that fateful day - August 2nd 2008 - when I decided to take matters into my own hands and see if I couldn't haul myself out of the descent into decrepitude and old age senility.

When I posted my first report on detoxing and infrared and so on, I was working pretty much according to the plan as given by Dr. Sherry Rogers and Dr. Leo Galland. As we have gone along, we have included info from "The Magnesium Miracle" and later, Dr. Hyman's book "The Ultra-Mind Solution." All of this has broadened our awareness of different factors and approaches to the issues.

One of the things that I learned along the way is that I cannot eat eggs or almonds. This came about because I realized that I was getting much better, but there was some sort of block that was preventing me from really getting over ALL pain and stiffness. I was STILL inflamed. I was a lot better, but it "came and went." I finally was able, by a series of exclusions, reintroductions, and waiting, to determine that it definitely was eggs and almonds (and almond milk) that had to be eliminated from my diet. As soon as I did that, the pain finally went away and I began to improve even more dramatically.

This is an example of each person being different and needing to do the research that we have pointed to, so that they can find which part of it does or does not apply to them. That can be an ongoing process.

I've also introduced plant-based progesterone and that has made a big difference for me. Researching the effects of estrogen overload and xenoestrogens that are in our environment in toxic amounts, was a revelation.

I've also increased my intake of fish oil to about 15 grams per day. This makes a big difference also. If I could only take ONE supplement, it would be Fish oil. It's that good.

And, of course, I am still doing the infrared saunas - that has been the mainstay of the program and even when I was still eating things that were not helping me, the sauna kept me functional!

I've also learned the super benefits of Brown Rice Protein powder and buckwheat.

Which leads to another situation I'm aware of: a young woman determined to lose weight who has cut out everything except (practically) lettuce and chicken breasts and works out 2 hours a day and isn't getting anywhere. I inquired about what she was eating and she, too, is using the almond milk and I suspect she may be reacting to that. She also is a prime candidate for too much estrogen. She'll never lose weight AND be able to eat, if she doesn't get a grip on the estrogen issue. In order to do that, she needs to eat legumes, lentils, buckwheat, brown rice and cruciferous vegetables. She can also take Indole-3-Carbinol for a short time to help unload the xenoestrogens. It is clearly not necessary to starve to lose weight! Fat is inflammation, period. You just have to figure out WHAT is inflaming you and eliminate it.

So, the bottom line is this: research and understand what you are doing and why... make sure that the protocol you create actually applies to you and your situation. Don't hesitate to try to get some medical help as Sherry Rogers also advises, or to utilize the test protocols that she recommends. Observe yourself and your body and your progress and don't be afraid to adjust. What works for me may not be right for you.

Which leads to another situation I'm aware of: a young woman determined to lose weight who has cut out everything except (practically) lettuce and chicken breasts and works out 2 hours a day and isn't getting anywhere.

She may also be working out too hard too often. :shock: This was a mistake I made in college, working out too hard every day can actually lead to inflammation on its own. (Or injury) I've learned slow steady exercise works just as well, and sometimes better than intense workouts.

I agree with everything you've listed in your post: I've learned the hard way that I have to take it slow and steady detoxing and making diet changes. Any sudden change in either diet or supplementation has set me back a few pegs. :-[ I cannot, for instance, do a sauna session every day. If I forget to take magnesium orotate even one day, my muscles cramp bad enough to keep me awake all night. (Which has been the case the last few nights)

Steady supplementation of B vitamins makes a big difference in fatigue, but pushing too hard will still knock me on my behind for a couple of days, no matter what I eat or supplement with. Over heating in our sudden summer weather will do the same thing, despite precautions.

Finding a balance is tricky, which is a good reason to supplement slowly, make notes, and track progress. :)

Gimpy said:
Finding a balance is tricky, which is a good reason to supplement slowly, make notes, and track progress.

Yes. And RESEARCH and UNDERSTAND what the supplements are for, what they do, and examine your own situation to determine if something is needed, what form, how much, etc. And then add slowly!

I think that one of the biggest things that Western peoples have to overcome is the xenoestrogens in their diet. The stuff is literally everywhere.

A very good starting point is the "ultra-simple diet" only leave out all dairy and nuts and nut milks. That's where I made my mistake - assuming that almond milk and nuts were okay. Oh boy...

Then, the egg issue. How in the world could I be allergic to eggs, I ate them all my life? (Never mind that the problem was that I've been in pain since I was nine years old.) I LOVE eggs! I love stuff made with eggs! How can you cook without eggs???

What a nicely timed post ! I'm struggling with this exact problem ATM. I don't know where to start, what to eat, what not to eat, what my problem exactly is etc..

I started with cutting out gluten..It lasted for a week, until I got so tired, that I couldn't go to work almost. I also have 3 children to tend to, so laying in bed is a no go.
No idea if the no-gluten diet caused the exhaustion. I had plenty of carbs and meat and veggies.
My timing with experimenting with diets is a little off I guess, seeing I can't just 'wait it out', if I'm going to be THAT tired for very long, until the toxins are out.

How do you guys combine detoxing with daily life?

I don't have any health issues really, except I want to loose some weight. Abit of dry skin is what annoys me the most, and I'm hoping the fish oil will help with that., I'm starting at 5 grams a day, and abit unsure of how long I should wait, before experiencing any results.

I'm not going back to full gluten diet, probably ever, but the 60grams of bread WITH gluten a day I've had, made me wake up again, I don't know why..

So thanks for the Push in the right direction here. I need to observe myself more closely, and decide what I need, when where and why :)

So, the bottom line is this: research and understand what you are doing and why... make sure that the protocol you create actually applies to you and your situation. Don't hesitate to try to get some medical help as Sherry Rogers also advises, or to utilize the test protocols that she recommends. Observe yourself and your body and your progress and don't be afraid to adjust. What works for me may not be right for you.
:D :D

A very good starting point is the "ultra-simple diet" only leave out all dairy and nuts and nut milks. That's where I made my mistake - assuming that almond milk and nuts were okay. Oh boy...

Then, the egg issue. How in the world could I be allergic to eggs, I ate them all my life? (Never mind that the problem was that I've been in pain since I was nine years old.) I LOVE eggs! I love stuff made with eggs! How can you cook without eggs???

I do understand the frustration! To this day I have people giving me cookies made with nut flours, which I'm very allergic to. As a rule I never eat anything gifted to me. Its smarter than an ER visit.

How do you get along without eggs? Have you tried Roti? Its an unleavened bread made out of grain flour, water, maybe a little oil, and a hot pan. Its very simple to make, and can be done gluten free. Its been a staple forever. I'm experimenting with different flours, but I'm sure you can make it with buckwheat and mix in amaranth flour if you want a different texture. Chinese cooking is full of dumplings that can be made from rice flour, and rice can be made to hold all kinds of savory and sweet things without using eggs. I know baking without using eggs is awkward, but it can be done. (Udon noodles have no eggs, for instance.)

I don't know why type O's end up having tree nut allergies, but just about everyone I know who comes from a family of blood type O's have this or lactose intolerance. In my case, both my parents developed tree nut allergies after retirement, both to the oilier varieties: walnuts, hazelnuts, and pecans. Mom is now a severe lactose intolerant person.

If I avoided everything I was allergic to or potentially allergic to, I would eat chicken rice gruel, and steamed plain vegetables, drink water, and that would be it. Its the same bland diet I've been put on and off my whole life, and I'm pretty used to it. I don't recommend it to anyone if there's no medical reason for it, especially for younger children.

I think its important to look through the family tree and see if any blood relatives have histories of allergy, what to, and how bad. That way it can be kept in mind and it won't be a suprise later if you or your kids develop one, or if one hits you later in life.

Detoxing slowly but surely these past few months has done wonders to help my allergies, but there are days when all I can do is stay inside and take benadryl.
(Today is one of those)

Hang in there Laura. :D

Laura, I trust you tried straining the egg yolks and using the egg whites only?

broken.english said:

Just the opposite for me: I can slightly tolerate the yolks, but the albumin in the whites is deadly. My body immediately mounts a defense against this protein which apparently attacks all my joints.

My grandmother said that it was a good thing to suspend for a short time to take pills o any other natural long treatment because the liver and the kidney could be fatigued. This is true specially with liposoluble vitamins as E and A. As Laura said we need to make research and one important aspect is the elimination of the components from the body. The problem with natural medicines is the fact that they are frequently composed by many components with different metabolism each other, and a good preventive measure would be what my grandmother said.

Laura said:
broken.english said:

Just the opposite for me: I can slightly tolerate the yolks, but the albumin in the whites is deadly. My body immediately mounts a defense against this protein which apparently attacks all my joints.

I am stuck here. I think it needs either advanced biochemical knowledge or a subtle hint from your subconsciousness to sort this out.

broken.english said:
I am stuck here. I think it needs either advanced biochemical knowledge or a subtle hint from your subconsciousness to sort this out.

It's actually quite simple: egg allergy is one of the most common allergies going. It causes an overreaction of the immune system leading to all kinds of symptoms for different people - for me, pain since I have an auto-immune disease, arthritis.

Most people who are allergic to hen's eggs have antibodies which react to one of four proteins in the egg white. A person who reacts only to a protein in the egg yolk may be able to easily tolerate egg whites, and vice versa. Some people will be allergic to proteins in both the egg white and the egg yolk.

Laura said:
broken.english said:

It's actually quite simple: egg allergy is one of the most common allergies going. It causes an overreaction of the immune system leading to all kinds of symptoms for different people - for me, pain since I have an auto-immune disease, arthritis.

Most people who are allergic to hen's eggs have antibodies which react to one of four proteins in the egg white. A person who reacts only to a protein in the egg yolk may be able to easily tolerate egg whites, and vice versa. Some people will be allergic to proteins in both the egg white and the egg yolk.

Any luck in finding recipes using egg replacers? I know I've seen a few....

Gimpy said:
Any luck in finding recipes using egg replacers? I know I've seen a few....

I've heard that applesauce can sorta replace eggs, but for now I'm just not worrying about it. Just not eating anything that requires them. One thing is, though, vaccinations are cultured in eggs and people who have egg allergies are exempt from vaccinations! I guess you could say that is a good thing.

Thank you for making this thread.
I still need to do some more observation to know what my body "likes"/"dislikes". I did recently figure out that my body LOVES watermelon, it gives me an energy kick and it works great for my skin as well (from the inside).
Being a Persian and eating a lot of white rice I've noticed that I get really tired after eating it (white rice). I thought it was normal...
But then I ate brown rice (1st time in my life, my parents never ate it as well!) and I didn't feel that tired, more like energetic! I had the same with quinoa. I've also noticed I love eating vegetables raw (especially broccoli), I don't really like them cooked (the taste).

I still am not so sure about how well my body can take nuts, I still need to do some more experimenting on that..
Soon I will go and check out my bloodtype. I find it weird how I love yogurt, but can't stand milk.
We Persians almost eat everything with yogurt :P

There is also this drink which is quite popular among the Persians, which is called Doogh (and I love that too)
It's a combination of yogurt, water and dried mint.
Need more observation on how my body reacts to yogurt.

whfoods said:
Yogurt is a fermented dairy product made by adding bacterial cultures to milk, which causes the transformation of the milk's sugar, lactose, into lactic acid. This process gives yogurt its refreshingly tart flavor and unique pudding-like texture, a quality that is reflected in its original Turkish name, Yoghurmak, which means "to thicken."

Yogurt is formed by the growth of two bacterial organisms in milk; Streptococcus thermophilus* (a warmth loving bacteria) and Lactobacillus bulgaricus (a strain of bacteria from Bulgaria, where we all know they make great yogurt) which turn the milk sugars into lactic acid.  Lactic acid is much easier for your body to digest than milk sugars, so even people who can't drink milk (lactose intolerant) can still "handle" yogurt. Oft times you will also find yogurt that contains other "Probiotic" cultures such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, and Bifidobacterium infantis which are bacterium normally found in your intestines. Together these bacteria aid in digestion and the synthesis of vitamins.  If you are taking antibiotics, which tend to kill your "intestinal flora" as well as whatever is making you ill, you should eat plenty of yogurt to help replace the "good guys" in your digestive system.
Maybe that could be it, if it turns out that my body doesn't act ''bad'' when I take yogurt. My mother also told me that when she was pregnant with me, she ate and drank a lot of yogurt and Doogh.

Laura said:
How in the world could I be allergic to eggs, I ate them all my life? (Never mind that the problem was that I've been in pain since I was nine years old.) I LOVE eggs! I love stuff made with eggs!

For what it's worth, I think it makes sense: in her book 'Nutritional Testing for Kinesiologists and Dowsers" Jane Thurnell-Read says about allergy-induced cravings:" [...] the key to understanding this may be down to endorphins. [...]. Although it is not totally clear why you may become addicted to your allergen, endorphins and food particles that mimic endorphins are likely to be involved. Several studies have shown that endorphin production increases during allergic reactions. In addition, protein fragments called exorphins may be formed when food is broken down. These can act like endorphins in the body. It is believed that if you are an allergy sufferer your body becomes adapted to that higher level of endorphin activity and so craves the allergen in order to maintain the endorphin levels."

When muscle testing for allergies, Health Kinesiology practitioners have the habit of asking what foods the person craves and test them first because most of the time, these will the very foods the person is allergic to. That explains why a lot of people cannot stop eating peanuts once they begin, etc. My HK teacher used to explain that every thing, every food has an energy pattern and that allergy is the not-recognition of an energy pattern by the body. When people eat what is an allergen to them, the body, not knowing how to classify this energy pattern (nutrient? toxic?), send the message to go for more and more.. But this energy pattern thing is something I cannot prove with anything else than my (and other kinesiologists') experience of it.

Do you think it would be a good idea to turn this post into a sticky? I personally would like to see it made into one...

Back
Top Bottom