Conservative activist storms stage of Julius Caesar to protest liberal violence

Michael B-C

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
On Friday night, Laura Loomer from Rebel Media stormed the stage of the contentious open air production of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar to protest what is a shameful manipulation of Shakespeare's tragedy to openly advocate for a 'righteous' assassination of Donal Trump.

The production, which is free (with all seats filled in Liberal New York), makes no bones about portraying Trump as Caesar (a business man with fair hair and an Eastern European wife) goes so far as to change a line early in the play to say 'Julius Caesar could stab somebody on 5th Avenue and nobody would care' which is a direct reference to a campaign comment where it was said Trump could shoot somebody on 5th Avenue and people would still vote for him'. The production also takes Caesars assassination on stage from its original offstage location in the original and shows his bodyguard and those around him (all African America males!) hacking him to death with knives (to the cheers of the crowd). The production also eulogies ISIS symbols as a sign of opposition to Trump/Caesar's perceived tyranny.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/17/woman-who-stormed-stage-during-julius-caesar-is-ar/?utm_source=RSS_Feedutm_medium=RSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlPLeDFV4rw

She was arrested on site and is to be charged along with another protester in the audience.

Here she is talking about the incident and the ramifications with Stefan Molyneux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbm3pJf33M

The projection of tyranny onto Trump and Caesar is of course a subversion of the truth and shows the power that live theater still holds and how it can be manipulated and abused for political purposes. It is worth remembering that the day before the attempted Coup d'état by the Earl of Essex against Queen Elizabeth's reign, that Shakespeare's company was paid/bribed/forced to put on a production of Richard II with the previously censored deposition scene intact - in an effort to normalize the idea of the removal of a legally empowered ruler - a clear attempt to manipulate the population into supporting a tyrannous act.

The most bitter irony of this deeply dangerous production is its ignorance about the true nature of Caesar's life and that he was murdered because he dared face down the oligarchs and seek to bring power back to the people.

As Loomer says in her interview, we are in a culture war and the use of images and dramatized high culture language to persuade the intelligentsia and the people to accept relativist violence against free speech and the due processes of democracy is mounting by the day. It is extraordinary that it is the perceived right that is leading the protest against these essential tenants of western liberal tradition.

While I don't in principle agree with the tactics of disruption - it reeks of paramilitarism - I'm glad at least the connection was made explicit in people's minds and condemned from the outset. According to the Washington Times article cited, Delta and Bank of America have already pulled support from the Public Theatre initiative. A part of me wonders if the play could be construed as a "call to action"??? That is transparently its purpose, but I guess we'll see what happens. My understanding of the play of Julius Caesar was that it was moreso a condemnation of political violence, where people get so blinded by hatred and prejudice they act with good intentions but end up creating more chaos. From that perspective, there's a whole lot of symbolic angles you can consider.

Back
Top Bottom