It's the same situation in Germany. The Corona Crisis makes it very obvious that German agriculture depends on mostly Eastern European migrant workers. Since they can no longer travel to Germany, there are now concerted efforts to recruit students who can no longer do their standard student jobs, such as working at coffee shops or libraries. Due to the back breaking work and the pay, which is minimum wage, they have trouble replacing the 300000 workers that are missing now.

source(in German):
_Das Land hilft

Yes. In Romanian news today they were saying how amid very strict stay at home and social distancing rules, this is how one of the regional airports looked today:

cluj.PNG

source (in Romanian):

Raven update: Alaska

There have been reports on weird bird behavior previously in this thread, and I noticed that the ravens and magpies aren't anywhere to be found. They are so common and year round birds that seeing a couple dozen or so is not remarkable - on the way to the store and around the yard. But I didn't see one all the way and back, making a effort to spot them.

Once you read, you will notice that Whitley is not quoted directly but rather his example has been used to explain how the STS bidding process works and explained rather quite well.

Thank you, Sid. I just read the article, but before commenting I want to say that I learned something by my reaction to the name, "Whitley Streiber". He was one of the first I read who wrote about aliens, and I was taken in by him for some time until I finally realized (probably by reading here) that he was an apologist for what they were doing to him. So after that, I got rid of all his books and associated his name with "Streiber: BAD". So when I read his name in the article you linked to, I obviously encountered an instance of "Black and White Thinking". Noted.

In reading the article, I see that I may have had a reasonable semblance of an idea of the STS hierarchy and their modus operandi, but a very crude one with an ill-informed concept of the mechanations involved.

It also seems that I was not only preaching to a choir, but one that is very far advanced in understanding of what exactly we face compared to what I thought I knew. And it also occurs to me that my rudimentary understanding probably originated from my readings, *here*.

Um, does anyone else feel like it's getting a little hot in here? Am I coming down with the virus??!

But this passage by Laura especially spoke to me:

"Ibn al-‘Arabi addressed this problem in detail. He tells us that “the unveiling that the traveler experiences, (i.e. the results of meditation) “adds nothing to the principles and corollaries of faith. At most, it fills in some of the details. […] Given that we enter the path and follow the guidance of God, and given that we experience an “unveiling” that makes all sorts of things clear to us that we never understood before, can we be sure that the unveiling is from God? Is there no possibility of satanic intervention and our going astray? Is not a person who claims that he is following his own “tasting” in effect claiming independence and setting up his own religion, at least for himself?”"

That, indeed, was the path that I had been following. Not because I wanted to, but because noone else around me - friends or family - was open to any of what I was learning.

But I have finally come to realize the hard way that no single person can ever truly understand everything about the level of reality that one resides within. The only way to even come close to an approximation is to network; and even then, vigilance is required, always. And I am glad to be here, even if I am feeling a little red-faced at the moment...

Thank you again Sid for that link.

Yes, Topper uses Whitley as a negative example and the article itself is a MUST read in full. The following quote is the relevant one about Whitley:

Good to hear if Zerohedge has changed or that some of the commenters have overcome the shock. This could also signal that there are fights and discontent going on in the hierarchical elite. Something also mentioned by the C's in the last session. As time goes on with the lock-down, the stresses and thus pressure will only increase and so will the fights. Some in the hierarchy are probably experiencing something akin to The Night of the long Knives.

Zerohedge is surely also owned and directed by one faction of the elite and has been so from the start. Though I have never posted there, I have followed it almost daily from pretty much the beginning. As far as I know then comments are visible to non-members as I can see comments without problems.

Thank you, Aeneas. I just replied to Sid re: the article; and I agree, it is required reading. My understanding of STS was rudimentary.

Re: Zero Hedge - I, too, have always thought that they were controlled opposition. The fact that their reporters all post under the pseudonym, "Tyler Durden" - a character in the Brad Pitt film "Fight Club" which ends with the deliberate explosive destruction of banks, always made me question them and what they report. But knowing that some alt-news websites still post 90% truths, and also having learned MUCH from information left in the comments section by posters, I kept up with following them.

From my experience, I see ZH doing their best to expose the evilness of the Western governments; which they don't have to work at very hard because most of it is self-evident. But I also see them espousing the value of gold and silver and a metals-based, Mises Institute- backed Austrian economic system that seems good on the surface until you dig down deep and realize that those who would run that system are basically the same people who run the CURRENT system. So I remain vigilant.

And as far as seeing comments is concerned, I can only load them from home when I log in. At work I can read the articles, but none of the comments will load. But that might simply be a product of having to work for a government entity that blocks certain realms of "knowledge". It is amazing, really, how many websites I can access from home but not from work...

There are reanimated Roberts walking around this planet, that remotely control by 4th density STS. In 1995, they were about 2 million, but who knows how many more nowadays.
Maybe that’s explains the things happening right now. Such as lots disinformations, and blindly follow orders, instigated people ...

October 21, 1995

Q: (L) Well, I have very often had feelings that there were, like, some real unpleasant spirits in that area. hanging around there. Am I correct in that? Real unpleasant energies...

A: Do you suppose said entities are restricted by 3rd density constraints.

Q: (L) Well, no, so what does that mean?

A: Discover.

Q: (L) OK, are you saying that such entities as I felt were present there may not have been just specifically located there, but it was possible for them to be anywhere?
Q: (L) Do they ever pick up dead bodies, you know, right after, and reanimate them?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) When they pick them up and reanimate them, do they reanimate them with the soulsthat left them? Do they like, catch the soul and put it back in?

A: No.

Q: (L) If they reanimate them, is it possible to reanimate them with no soul?

Q: (L) OK, when they reanimate them with no soul, do they have kind of like a zombie-like situation?

Q: (L) Well, could you give us a little more information on this particular aspect? If they reanimate them with no soul, what is the animating force or energy?

A: Indistinguishable from other humans.

Q: (L) They're indistinguishable from other humans. (LM) How is that possible?

A: Technology makes all things possible!!!

Q: (L) Of course, you are talking about 4th density technology?

Q: (L) OK, well, will you expand my database by telling me how a corpse can be reanimatedif not done by a... if not with a soul?

A: Complex technology, using electronic bio-generation frequency matching, combined with extremely high frequency radio beacon transmitters for tracking and control of all functions, including thought pattern mimic and emotional frequency vibrational rate modulation!!!!

Q: (L) If they're doing this, does it make the physical body...

Q: (L) The blood, the heartbeat and everything...

A: All functions, including cellular, duplicated.

Q: (SV) What about the aura? (L) Would a being such as this still have an aura?

A: Projected.

Q: (L) OK, that would be projected, along with all of the frequencies, and everything else. Now... (SV) Are there a lot of dead people walking around?

A: This is method used for subjects discussed in "Matrix Material" instead of "Robots", as suggested.

Q: (L) Is there any way that a normal person would be able to identify such a being?

Q: (L) Approximately how many of this type of being are walking around on our planet, acting like normal people?

A: 2,000,000.

Q: (L) OK...

A: You, Laura, have come in contact with 7 of them!

Q: (L) Who are they?

A: Discover.

Q: (LM) I find that hard to believe. (F) Is Susan S___ a robot? (LM) When did she die?

A: Open. All it takes is a "hospital visit."

[Laura's note: To my knowledge, Susan S____ has been hospitalized for surgery at least twice.]

Q: (LM) Then what happens? (L) Maybe there's a death certificate for her...

A: Yes it does.

Q: (L) Does this mean if one goes into a hospital for surgery, that it's possible for them to die and be reanimated in this manner? Without anybody being aware of what happened?

Q: (LM) Why? (L) Well, we know why, because they're creating a force, you know, putting it in place all over the planet so they can take over... We already know that! Is that correct?

A: Open.

Q: (LM) What's open mean? (L) Open means that's not absolutely determined yet, at this time, that's not something that they're just... it could be, yes. (L) So, you're saying that Susan S___ was one of these robotoids, is that what you 're saying?

A: We gave you one for your own knowledge and protection, but cannot give you others at this juncture.

Q: (L) Is it up to me to figure out what characteristics these individuals have, in order to...

A: Based upon data given, yes.

Q: (L) OK, is one of the - I mean, I'm clicking [through mental data files] right now - one of the characteristics I think, that these kind of individuals might have, since they have this projected emotional frequency, would be a repeating emotional pattern, that they just simply, in spite of seeming intelligence, do not seem to learn from anything; that it just repeats over and over again, is that a clue?

Q: (L) Now, there are some strange things about her, I'll have to admit that. OK, then, this same inability to get a clue about what's going on... OK, that's a clue, right there. Is there any kind of instinctual sensation that one would get about these types of individuals?

A: Bland.

Q: (L) That they're bland in some way? Is that it, that these individuals are bland individuals?

A: Spend inordinate amounts of "time" in solitude.

Q: (SV) Am I one? (L) Of course not! Don't be silly! Now, let's stop a second. Now, we had several questions, and one of the questions was...

A: Bland is not universal in this situation, just a clue for you to identify individual.

Q: (L) OK, bland is just part of it.

A: Not key component, more likely to be spreading of disinformation.

Q: (L) Well, John W___ has got some stuff, because, I tell you what, you tell him something logically, it's almost like he's got a pre-set program that runs, and the minute you get to the point where you almost might possibly think he can get the connection because your evidence and logic are overwhelming... then it just shuts down and he repeats the program. And it just amazes me that people can be that way. OK, have we... I guess you're not going to tell us any more about this. Do these beings know what they are?

A: Not conscious beings!

Q: (L) They're not conscious beings, so, they just react to you as though they are being remote controlled.

A: Are being remote controlled.

Q: (L) Yes, no doubt about that. Now, what is the purpose of putting 2 million of these kind of critters on the planet? Can you give us a clue?

A: Wait and see.

A journalist was attacked by a foreign tourist when she evidenced the presence of vacationers in #PlayaLosMuertos #PuertoVallarta even with the restriction measures and beach closures imposed by the @GovernmentJalisco @SSalud_mx @NDigitalesMX @ChumelTorres @USAmbMex REDTNJalisco on Twitter
--Translated with deepl --

Yes, in Mexico the beaches are public, regardless of what chairs the hotel provides, but the man has every right to be angry about being filmed without his consent. The media being are judge and jury.

There have also been reports of evictions of tourists from beaches, mountains, and other áreas by the National Guard and marines in the country.

--
And, stories like this, where one doesn't know whether to laugh or... what

_https://www.proceso.com.mx/625167/bendicen-municipios-de-queretaro-en-helicoptero-del-gobierno-del-estado said:
Members of the Diocese of Querétaro (México) used the helicopter "El Constituyente", property of the government of the state of Querétaro, to fly with the Virgin of Dolores de Soriano and "the body of Christ" and bless the state from the heights against the coronavirus, which took them about eight hours.
---
Panorama in Mexico April 09, 2020: 3,441 confirmed cases, 10,105 suspected cases, 17,950 negative cases and 194 deaths. 31,496 people have been studied. Of confirmed cases, 2,401 (70%) have been mild and 1,040 (30%) have required hospitalization #COVID19. Hugo López-Gatell Ramírez on Twitter --translated with deepl--

According to the Subsecretary of Promotion and Health in México, Hugo López-Gatell, we are in the phase 2 sentinel surveillance model.

https://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/burden/vpd/surveillance_type/sentinel/en/ said:
Sentinel Surveillance
A sentinel surveillance system is used when high-quality data are needed about a particular disease that cannot be obtained through a passive system. Selected reporting units, with a high probability of seeing cases of the disease in question, good laboratory facilities and experienced well-qualified staff, identify and notify on certain diseases. Whereas most passive surveillance systems receive data from as many health workers or health facilities as possible, a sentinel system deliberately involves only a limited network of carefully selected reporting sites. For example, a network of large hospitals might be used to collect high-quality data on various diseases and their causative organisms, such as invasive bacterial disease caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b, meningococcus or pneumococcus.

Data collected in a well-designed sentinel system can be used to signal trends, identify outbreaks and monitor the burden of disease in a community, providing a rapid, economical alternative to other surveillance methods. Because sentinel surveillance is conducted only in selected locations, however, it may not be as effective for detecting rare diseases or diseases that occur outside the catchment areas of the sentinel sites.

The following criteria should be considered in selecting a sentinel health facility (usually a general or infectious disease hospital) :

It should be willing to participate.
It serves a relatively large population that has easy access to it.
It has medical staff sufficiently specialized to diagnoze, treat and report cases of the disease under surveillance.
It has a high-quality diagnostic laboratory.

"As you listen, you may be surprised by the pleasant, even relaxing, tone of the music," Professor Buehler said."

I am agree, very relaxing.

So it is not our task to do this sending love and light for exemple:

Bingo ! Now we can now all go back to sleep and stop the Work and networking brilliant !

Like HAARP or G5 for instance ?

I know I'm saving lives staying home ! It must be my week !! :wizard:

What is the difference between this:

And this ?

And this ? The Psychopathic God: Adolph Hitler: Waite, Robert: 9780306805141: Books - Amazon.ca

Seems pretty much the same thing to me.

Maybe this an attempt to derail this thread and make me loose my time or you are into newage stuff and there are some dots you didn't put together yet on what this forum is focused on or maybe a deliberate attempt to confusion. While there some points that are along the lines of some topics here it's brought in a naive and imperative way imo.

I'm sorry this came over to you in this way, that was certainly not my intention, though I can certainly see where you are coming from by trying to look at it from your perspective. I've left MANY MANY things out and by highlighting only certain parts I understand that I've put in some of my own bias into it. Just as you though, I'm still trying to connect the dots, and I certainly don't claim that I know anything better or have all the answers. I'm just noticing that things are clicking more and more for me now, and I feel like I'm really starting to see the whole picture a lot better. I added a few additional quite important quotes below which hopefully give a little much needed perpective to what I've shared before.

We recommend that you do a little questioning of anyone who overdefines and tells you absolutes. It is important to hear many
different opinions and many different stories
. Listen to a person's story, then see if it feels right. Is it for your own benefit and
upliftment? One of the things that we like to teach you is that it is up to you to decide what to do. We give you information; however,
it is up to you to decide what to do with it: you are in charge of your life, we are not.

We play the same game. If you look back to see what we have done, have we not purposely set up a plan of frequency modulation
for you? Have we not entrapped you, enticed you, convinced you of your free will so that you could choose to vibrate at a certain
frequency?
We have done the same thing the builders have done.

We are not here to say who is right and who is wrong and who is who within the hierarchy. We simply want to bust your illusions, to
pop your balloons about what you have been led to believe. We do not want to say that it is wrong; we simply want to suggest to
you that you think bigger.

We are all here merely to learn and we do this best by sharing information/impressions/gleannings of apparent understsanding and then networking and discussing these with like minded individuals. Of course we all need to be very aware, vigilant and discerning while we are at it to avoid being led into a direction which actually keeps us from being able to continue to learn and grow.

There are definitely aspects of the Ps material that are New Agey, but I think that was the slant of the medium (Marciniak). I do think there is definitely some relevant information and overlap with what the Cs say. I’m also re-reading the Wave (book 1, ch 2) and came upon this session:

Thanks for sharing this Arwenn!

Cs session Dec10, 1994
Q: (L) I got it! You mean that you are the Arcturians, the Pleiadians, and now you are the “Cassiopaeans” because you “are where you are”! And you are riding the wave. Is this wave a straight line connecting all these constellations?

A: Circuitous or cyclical route.

Q: (L) So, is it like a spiral?

Q: (L) So we really need to set up a map so we can draw it?

A: Yes. When we speak from Orion we are “Orions”. When from Pleiades, we are “Pleiadian”, and so on.

So yeah, the Arcturians, Pleiadians, and Cassiopaeans (and probably some others as well) would all seem to be the same source, albeit distorted to a higher or lesser degree by their respective channels. And this is why the simmiliraties can be so high, yet at the same time may differ in some key aspects (which has to do for instance with the held assumptions, beliefs, level of progress etc. of the receiving channels).

It would make sense if you quote me that you also put the line I was referring too. Yes maybe there are some things to consider but writing a super long message with LOUD words and COLORS really seems like someone is trying to push something. And there are obvious points that have been discussed at length here that are worth pointing out to avoid any new comers to fall into traps it took years to debunk.

I admit that I am trying to push something, namely the growth and spread of objective reasoning, knowledge and understanding, which to my knowledge is also one of the key purposes of this network though. Still, since we are all at different stages of development, of course it is essential that everyone works on this task by himself/herself and at his/her own pace. So yeah, this may indeed not have been the appropriate/best thread to share these thoughts, but please do note that my intentions were certainly not to derail or mislead anybody. I'm merely trying to contintue to learn and grow myself and an ongoing exchange is crucial for this as I've come to more deeply understand.

Remember how just a moment ago everything from peanut butter sandwiches to kids wearing wrong kind of caps was being described as fascist? But now when the whole world is in iron-grip lockdown: nothing, not a single opposing word or voice of concern from these SJW's. Instead the same people, who were preaching about all the horrors of the "patriarchy", are now greeting the removement of our freedoms with open arms, and have probably joined the ranks of those authoritarian "Stasi informants", who call the police when they see a father throwing ball with his daughter or a man surfing alone.

And if you're raising questions about the anti-social safety measures, totalitarian lock down, and the skewed official numbers, you're labeled as a "conspiracy theorist", who doesn't care about human lives - so the whole whole thing is turned upside down (as usual).

Well, there probably were similar "conspiracy theorists" during 1930's Germany, who may have thought that the measures taken by the German government after the Reichstag fire were extremely concerning and disturbing. Perhaps some were asking (at least privately) that where this implementation of martial law may lead the country, and some may even have suspected that the Nazi party had something to do with the arson attack.

One of these people was journalist and author Sebastian Haffner, who wrote in his memoir:
After all that, I do not see that one can blame the majority of Germans who, in 1933, believed that the Reichstag fire was the work of the Communists. What one can blame them for, and what shows their terrible collective weakness of character clearly for the first time during the Nazi period, is that this settled the matter. With sheepish submissiveness the German people accepted that, as a result of the fire, each one of them lost what little personal freedom and dignity was guaranteed by the constitution; as though it followed as a necessary consequence.

In the end, very few were able to see where it all took them.

Our own Reichstag fire has been burning slowly since 9/11. Just like previous generations during the 1930's, we've believed and accepted Big Lies that have made the whole world unrecognizable from what it was only few decades back. From Saddam's WMDs that "justified" destruction in the Middle East, to this moment, where the entire planet is near totalitarian control, has passed in a blink of an eye. I believe that events unfolding now could not have been possible even some years ago - programming wasn't complete yet.

I'm reminded of this passage from journalist Milton Mayer's book 'They Thought They Were Free':
"To live in this process is absolutely not to be able to notice it - please try to believe me - unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had occasion to develop. Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, 'regretted,' that, unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures' that no 'patriotic German' could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head.

Remember how just a moment ago everything from peanut butter sandwiches to kids wearing wrong kind of caps was being described as fascist? But now when the whole world is in iron-grip lockdown: nothing, not a single opposing word or voice of concern from these SJW's. Instead the same people, who were preaching about all the horrors of the "patriarchy", are now greeting the removement of our freedoms with open arms, and have probably joined the ranks of those authoritarian "Stasi informants", who call the police when they see a father throwing ball with his daughter or a man surfing alone.

And if you're raising questions about the anti-social safety measures, totalitarian lock down, and the skewed official numbers, you're labeled as a "conspiracy theorist", who doesn't care about human lives - so the whole whole thing is turned upside down (as usual).

Well, there probably were similar "conspiracy theorists" during 1930's Germany, who may have thought that the measures taken by the German government after the Reichstag fire were extremely concerning and disturbing. Perhaps some were asking (at least privately) that where this implementation of martial law may lead the country, and some may even have suspected that the Nazi party had something to do with the arson attack.

One of these people was journalist and author Sebastian Haffner, who wrote in his memoir:

Our own Reichstag fire has been burning slowly since 9/11. Just like previous generations during the 1930's, we've believed and accepted Big Lies that have made the whole world unrecognizable from what it was only few decades back. From Saddam's WMDs that "justified" destruction in the Middle East, to this moment, where the entire planet is near totalitarian control, has passed in a blink of an eye. I believe that events unfolding now could not have been possible even some years ago - programming wasn't complete yet.

I'm reminded of this passage from journalist Milton Mayer's book 'They Thought They Were Free':

The above was so beautifully written I had to share it on Facebook. I hope some of you will get over there and share it around.

Thank you, Sid. I just read the article, but before commenting I want to say that I learned something by my reaction to the name, "Whitley Streiber". He was one of the first I read who wrote about aliens, and I was taken in by him for some time until I finally realized (probably by reading here) that he was an apologist for what they were doing to him. So after that, I got rid of all his books and associated his name with "Streiber: BAD". So when I read his name in the article you linked to, I obviously encountered an instance of "Black and White Thinking". Noted.

In reading the article, I see that I may have had a reasonable semblance of an idea of the STS hierarchy and their modus operandi, but a very crude one with an ill-informed concept of the mechanations involved.

It also seems that I was not only preaching to a choir, but one that is very far advanced in understanding of what exactly we face compared to what I thought I knew. And it also occurs to me that my rudimentary understanding probably originated from my readings, *here*.

Um, does anyone else feel like it's getting a little hot in here? Am I coming down with the virus??!

But this passage by Laura especially spoke to me:

"Ibn al-‘Arabi addressed this problem in detail. He tells us that “the unveiling that the traveler experiences, (i.e. the results of meditation) “adds nothing to the principles and corollaries of faith. At most, it fills in some of the details. […] Given that we enter the path and follow the guidance of God, and given that we experience an “unveiling” that makes all sorts of things clear to us that we never understood before, can we be sure that the unveiling is from God? Is there no possibility of satanic intervention and our going astray? Is not a person who claims that he is following his own “tasting” in effect claiming independence and setting up his own religion, at least for himself?”"

That, indeed, was the path that I had been following. Not because I wanted to, but because noone else around me - friends or family - was open to any of what I was learning.

But I have finally come to realize the hard way that no single person can ever truly understand everything about the level of reality that one resides within. The only way to even come close to an approximation is to network; and even then, vigilance is required, always. And I am glad to be here, even if I am feeling a little red-faced at the moment...

Thank you again Sid for that link.
You may realise now that as we grow and come out of our childhood, there are some burning questions which form in our mind due to our insights and intuitions but not answered with sincerity and clarity by our teachers and peers. This leads to some extreme level of frustrations and primes us to be good suckers for spoon-fed information about all things paranormal. Its the very reason why we also get attracted to SciFi and paranormal TV shows hoping to answer our own questions - it is quite soothing to our mental pains you see. At least with TV shows, we know that we are basing our deductions on fiction hence we remain open to corrections.

However, that's not so much the case when we come across real life personalities claiming to be channeling Aliens and hyper-dimensional entities. Here's our real life savior with answers to everything we asked and then some more. Its quite soothing to the brain, feels exciting, cool and edgy - we almost feel like rebels who have found their true calling and a cave to now finally reside in a comfy chair, rest be damned. Reading Gurdjieff only has the same effect on lot of peeps. The next stage is strong identification with the messenger where we would vehemently defend our feeble and helpless savior against the cruel world and its people. This is not enlightenment but just another facet of our machine and our mechanical nature. And, in moments like these where our strong intuitions and lessons from childhood experiences come to our rescue. We also get a lot of help from our 5D guides and friends/family in nudging us in the right direction - provided we are listening and not too rigid.

But you know what - this is totally ok. It's part of the journey, a lesson in itself. And it must be viewed as just that objectively speaking. Even better, we can try and find humour in our own failings. Humour is the biggest anti-dote to our mental pain and sufferings.

So, it doesn't matter and it shouldn't bpther us as to how we arrive at the correct school in our learning journey. Question is - Can we drop our baggage, un-learn what we know, relax and show a willingness to learn something new? Can we now truly learn, share and give back to others?

Excellent Seppo Ilmarinen!
Very good reminder with timely quotes and links - one to share on social media.

From a mainstream source and for the record:

Do COVID-19 Vent Protocols Need a Second Look?

After treating patients with COVID-19, a New York city physician suggests ventilator protocols may need revisiting

John Whyte, MD, MPH; Cameron Kyle-Sidell, MD

John Whyte, MD, MPH: Hello. I'm Dr John Whyte, chief medical officer at WebMD. Welcome to "Coronavirus in Context." Today we're going to talk about whether we're managing coronavirus correctly; do we need to think about a change in our treatment regiments? My guest is Dr Cameron Kyle-Sidell. He's a physician trained in emergency medicine and critical care, and he practices at Maimonides in Brooklyn, New York. Welcome, Dr Sidell.

Cameron Kyle-Sidell, MD: Thank you very much. Thank you for inviting me.

Whyte: You've been talking a lot about the number of patients, the percentage of patients dying on ventilators. When did you first notice this trend?

Kyle-Sidell: In preparation of opening what became a full COVID-positive intensive care unit, we scoured the data just to see what was out there—those who have experienced it before us, primarily the Chinese and the Italians; it was hard to find exactly, like the rate of what we call successful extubation—meaning, someone was put on a ventilator and taken off. And that data are still hard to find. I imagine there are a lot of people still on ventilators. But from the data we have available, it appears to be somewhere between 50% and 90%. Most published data puts it around 70%. So, that's a very, very high percentage in general, when one thinks of a medical disease.

Whyte:
You've been talking on social media; you say you've seen things that you've never seen before. What are some of those things that you're seeing?

Kyle-Sidell: When I initially started treating patients, I was under the impression, as most people were, that I was going to be treating acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), similar in substance to AIDS, which I saw as a fellow. And as I start to treat these patients, I witnessed things that are just unusual. And I'm sure doctors around the country are experiencing this. In the past, we haven't seen patients who are talking in full sentences and not complaining of overt shortness of breath, with saturations in the high 70s. It's just not something we typically see when we're intubating some of these patients. That is to say, when we're putting a breathing tube in, they tend to drop their saturations very quickly; we see saturations going down to 20 to 30. Typically, one would expect some kind of reflexive response from the heart rate, which is to say that usually we see tachycardia, and if patients go too low, then we see bradycardia. These are things that we just weren't seeing. I've seen literally a saturation of zero on a monitor, which is not something we ever want and something we actively try to avoid. And yet we saw it, and many of my colleagues have similarly seen saturations of 10 and 20. We try to put breathing tubes in to avoid this very situation. Now, these patients tend to desaturate extremely quickly, so these situations have occurred. Still, what we're seeing—that there was no change in the heart rate—is just unusual. It's just something that we are not used to seeing.

Whyte:
This is more like a high-altitude sickness. Is that right?

Kyle-Sidell: Yes. The patients in front of me are unlike any patients I've ever seen., and I've seen a great many patients and have treated many diseases. You get used to seeing certain patterns, and the patterns I was seeing did not make sense. This originally came to me when we had a patient who had hit what we call our trigger to put in a breathing tube, meaning she had displayed a level of hypoxia of low oxygen levels where we thought she would need a breathing tube. Most of the time, when patients hit that level of hypoxia, they're in distress and they can barely talk; they can't say complete sentences. She could do all of those and she did not want a breathing tube. So she asked that we put it in at the last minute possible. It was this perplexing clinical condition: When was I supposed to put the breathing tube in? When was the last minute possible? All the instincts as a physician—like looking to see if she tires out —none of those things occurred. It's extremely perplexing. But I came to realize that this condition is nothing I've ever seen before. And so I started to read to try to figure it out, leaving aside the exact mechanism of how this disease is causing havoc on the body, but instead trying to figure out what the clinical syndrome looked like.

Whyte: You talked a little about the data from Italy.

Kyle-Sidell: Yes.

Whyte: [From Luciano] Gattinoni. Were you aware of what was going on in Italy before you noticed these observations or did that come after the fact?

Kyle-Sidell: That came a little bit after. And I wasn't aware. I can't even remember the exact timeline. But in my reading, I came upon decompression, pulmonary sickness, which is essentially the bends—when divers dive and come up too quickly—which seemed to mirror the clinical picture of these patients. And in discussions of other people, it came up that they do appear similar clinically. This is not to say that the pathophysiology underlying it is similar, but clinically they look a lot more like high-altitude sickness than they do pneumonia. Regarding, Gattinoni, he published something on March 20th, which was about 2 days before I opened the ICU. I don't know that I read it then, but somehow it got passed around. In my mind, by the time I read what he was saying, I'd come under the impression that this just wasn't what we were used to seeing. It was a high-compliance disease, which every pulmonologist had. Anyone managing a ventilator can see. That's not a question. So when I read his stuff, where he is suggesting that the management strategy that we use is essentially somewhat flipped, at least in these high-compliant patients, it just became more clear that that if we operate under a paradigm whereby we are treating ARDS in these high-compliant patients, we may not be operating under the right paradigm.

Whyte: Have you changed your protocols, then?

Kyle-Sidell: To be honest, I've run into a great deal of resistance within my institution, which is not to say that anyone is trying to stymie the progress at all. These are the protocols that are in every major (and minor) hospital.

Whyte:
You talked about in your videos.

Kyle-Sidell: Yeah.

Whyte: Against a long-standing dogma. So what's been the response from your clinical colleagues as well as hospital administrators?

Kyle-Sidell: I started to try to not my own protocols, but to treat patients as I would have treated my family, with different goals—which is to say, ventilation. However, these didn't fit the protocol, and the protocol is what the hospital runs on with the respiratory therapist, with the nurses; everyone is part of the team. We ran into an impasse where I could not morally, in a patient-doctor relationship, continue the current protocols which, again, are the protocols of the top hospitals in the country. I could not continue those. You can't have one doctor just doing their own protocol. So I had to step down from my position in the ICU, and now I'm back in the ER where we are setting up slightly different ventilation strategies. Fortunately, we've been boosted by recent work by Gattinoni, which was formally published today and which does outline the best evidence, based on at least expert recommendations, for changes in our overall protocols. [Editor's note: Dr Kyle-Sidell is referring to an unedited proof, soon to be published formally in Intensive Care Medicine.]

Whyte: Can you tell us what some of those changes are that you're going to make?

Kyle-Sidell: First, I'll describe what Gattinoni was saying, which is that really what we're seeing in ARDS are two different phenotypes: one in which the lungs display what you call high compliance, low elastance; and one in which they have low compliance and high elastance. To say it simply for people who are not pulmonologists, if you think of the lungs as a balloon, typically when people have ARDS or pneumonia, the balloon gets thicker. So not only do you lack oxygen, but the pressure and the work to blow up the balloon becomes greater. So one's respiratory muscles become tired as they struggle to breathe. And patients need pressure. What Gattinoni is saying is that there are essentially two different phenotypes, one in which the balloon is thicker, which is a low-compliance disease. But in the beginning they display high compliance. Imagine if the balloon is not actually thicker but thinner, so they'd suffer from a lack of oxygen. But it is not that they suffer from too much work to blow up the balloon. As far as how we're going to switch, we're going to take our approach differently from the traditional ARDSnet protocol in that we are going to do an oxygen-first strategy: We're going to leave the oxygen levels as high as possible and we're going to try to use the lowest pressures possible to try to keep the oxygen levels high. That's the approach we're going to do, so long as the patients continue to display the physiology of a low elastance, high-compliance disease.

Whyte: Do you feel that somewhere the world made a wrong turn in treating COVID-19?

Kyle-Sidell: I don't know that they made a wrong turn. I mean, it came so fast. I think that one thing we benefit from is that the Chinese and the Italians were hit first and they were hit hard. New York is being hit so hard. It's hard to switch tracks when the train is going a million miles an hour. In that sense, we'd benefit from their shared experience. And I think it's important that we listen to that experience. But I do think that it starts out with knowing, or at least accepting the idea, that this may be an entirely new disease. Because once you do that, then you can accept the idea that perhaps all the studies on ARDS in the 2000s and 2010s, which were large, randomized, well-performed, well-funded studies, perhaps none of those patients in those studies had COVID-19 or something resembling it. It allows you to move away from a paradigm in which this disease may fit and, unfortunately, walk somewhat into the unknown.

Whyte: You're advocating something a little different. What are the consequences of you being wrong, albeit well intentioned?

Kyle-Sidell: Right now we have some of the greatest experts in the world giving their opinions. By that, I mean the Italians and Dr Gattinoni. I certainly could be wrong. What I'm asking for is not even not an immediate change in the ventilation strategy, because I'm critical care trained, I'm not pulmonary trained and I'm not as experienced as many around the country and many in my own hospital. But what I would like to see is all of these great minds get together. If they can accept this notion that perhaps we need to switch paradigms, and they're able to better create a path forward that fits the disease. I would gladly follow them. Really, what I'm asking and what I'm requesting is that all of the experts in the field get together and perhaps come up with some fresh recommendations.

Whyte: You've been active on social media, as I mentioned. Are you a whistleblower?

Kyle-Sidell: This is sort of my first foray into social media. I don't know that I'm a whistleblower. I don't know that anyone was trying to purposely do any harm. I think that, all of the physicians involved and all of the nurses and everyone writing protocols—everyone is working as fast and as hard as they can with good faith and pure intention. For me, I saw something clinically that didn't make sense. And seeing that New York is about 10 days ahead of the rest of country, I just felt compelled to get that information out.

Whyte: Has speaking up impacted your professional career?

Kyle-Sidell: I don't know yet. In one sense, I have not felt qualms about it. For whatever reason, I trained in critical care and I was an ER doctor, and I think part of that allowed me to see it a little bit better. Because if you just received these patients in the ICU on breathing tubes, it's very hard to see this physiology. I was running around the hospital from the ER to the floors to the ICU, and I saw them in all stages of this disease. When you see them in all those different stages, you're able to see that something physiologically doesn't make sense. So, in a way, I do feel that somehow my training and my position, being in New York City, allowed me to see this. I have not felt any conflict about coming forward, per se. And I don't know what it will do for my career, but I hope that people know that I'm not doing this with any kind of— I'm not trying to stymie anything. It's really that I'm doing what I think is right.

Whyte: What are the two things that we need to be doing right now to really address the mortality?

Kyle-Sidell: That goes back to your question of "if I am wrong." We are desperate now in the sense that everything we are doing does not seem to be working. So we've reached a point that most other diseases have not reached, where many physicians are willing to try anything that may help because so little seems to be helping. One of the reasons I speak up, and I hope people at the bedside speak up, is that I think there may be a disconnect between those who are seeing these patients directly, who are sensing that something is not quite right, and those brilliant people and researchers and administrators who are writing the protocols and working on finding answers. The first thing to do is see if we can admit that this is something new. I think it all starts from there. I think we have the kind of scientific technology and the human capital in this country to solve this or at least have a very good shot at it. I think the second thing is that whatever collaboration we can do with those who came before us—and by that, I mean the Chinese and the Italians and the Egyptians and whoever else has experienced this—if there's anything we can learn from them, I think we need to open up and be ready to receive their help.

Whyte: Dr Kyle-Sidell, I want to thank you for speaking up and sharing your story with us.

Kyle-Sidell: Thank you very much. I appreciate you allowing me to speak.

Whyte: I want to thank you for watching "Coronavirus in Context." I'm Dr John Whyte.

I hope it goes well for this guy. He had to step down from the ICU because he could not follow the protocols that will make things worse, but he still has hope that the "administrators" will see the light of the day. I'm not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom