covid 19 and antibiotics.

dervishsam

The Force is Strong With This One
Doctors eagerly prescribing antibiotics to people with covid 19 symptoms, Is it actually safe or it can worsen situation for people who have virus?

Just my layman's take, but antibiotics are effective against bacteria, not viruses. However, as I've understood it, once the corona virus succeeds in 'making a hole' in your lower respiratory tract, nasty bacteria start to enter this area, and that's when you get serious respiratory problems. Thus, my guess is that antibiotics might be beneficial, even crucial, at this stage of the infection.

Another thing might be, that prescribing antibiotics is for many doctors – from what I've experienced – the automatic response to many illnesses that they don't know how to treat.

Antibiotics are mainly used in complications, although some protocols include them because of synergistic and anti-inflammatory effects:

...persistent viruses can also trigger "virus-plus-susceptibility-gene" interactions leading to bacteria-dependent inflammatory disease. These bacteria-dependent phenotypes are only observed when the virus and a mutant allele of a host gene are present at the same time. Virgin hypothesized that trans-kingdom metagenomic (viruses, bacteria, archaea, fungi, metazoans) interactions may regulate virus infection, immunity, and inflammation. His lab confirmed this hypothesis by showing that helminth infection can reactivate latent herpesvirus through cytokine competition between IFN-gamma and IL-4/IL-13 at a viral promoter, and can inhibit antiviral immunity.

The Virgin lab recently found that antibiotic treatment prevents persistent enteric norovirus infection, an effect rescued by fecal transplantation.

Notice how some COVID-19 protocols include an anti-malarial (hydroxychloroquine) and how there's a version with an antibiotic (azythromycin). Both are known to have a regulatory effect in inflammation.

Hello @dervishsam,

I noticed that this is your first post on the forum. If you'd like to introduce yourself in the Newbies section, tell us a bit about yourself and how you found your way here, we'll give you our official welcome :-)

Professor Didier Raoult recommend indeed an antibiotic. Here is the protocol which is necessary to use at hospital and for mild cases only:

Hydroxychloroquine (200 mg x 3 time a day for 10 days) + Azithromycine (antibiotic) (500 mg the first day then 250 mg per day for 5 more days), within the framework of the precautions of use of this association (with in particular an electrocardiogram at D0 and D2). In cases of severe pneumonia, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is also associated.

The QT interval is measured on the first electrocardiogram and corrected according to Bazett's formula.

- Prescription authorization if the corrected QT is less than 460 ms
- Case-by-case discussion of the benefit-risk in case of corrected QT 460 ms and 500 ms
- Contraindication in case of corrected QT greater than or equal to 500 ms.
- Irrespective of the value of the corrected QT, a list of drugs that could lengthen the QT interval was provided to prescribers in order to avoid co-medication with any of these drugs.
- In addition, in case of doubt, it was recommended to monitor the patient's kalemia.
- Finally, a "hotline" between infectiologists and cardiologists to treat problems as quickly as possible.

He say that Azithromycine lowers the risk in people with viral infections + Azithromycin has been shown in the laboratory to be effective against a large number of viruses, although it is an antibiotic.

Source : mediterranee-infection

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom