Daily Bread

In this phrase, the word "bread" becomes "breath" in my mind. To the point that I almost always have to remind myself while going through the "be my daily bread" phrase to do it the right way without changing words.
Maybe it has something to do with my very fragile -but incrementally growing- connection to every-day life and every-day matters.

Eva said:
In this phrase, the word "bread" becomes "breath" in my mind.

Same here. I have this image of a cosmic breath/air coming through my body when I listen to or recite the verse because it is during the inhale, and then that this breath comes out of me in my words and actions in my life, as I exhale during the next verse, "as I give breath to others".

Eva said:
To the point that I almost always have to remind myself while going through the "be my daily bread" phrase to do it the right way without changing words.
Maybe it has something to do with my very fragile -but incrementally growing- connection to every-day life and every-day matters.

I don't try to change it, because I understand that even if the words say "bread", they have a meaning of nurturance/essence. But I think I see what you mean here, by keeping it "bread", it helps you connect more with the everyday life stuff, more grounded in life sort to say? If so, it's an interesting way to approach it, "bread" for thought ;)

Alana said:
Same here. I have this image of a cosmic breath/air coming through my body when I listen to or recite the verse because it is during the inhale, and then that this breath comes out of me in my words and actions in my life, as I exhale during the next verse, "as I give breath to others".
Exactly!

Alana said:
I don't try to change it, because I understand that even if the words say "bread", they have a meaning of nurturance/essence. But I think I see what you mean here, by keeping it "bread", it helps you connect more with the everyday life stuff, more grounded in life sort to say? If so, it's an interesting way to approach it, "bread" for thought ;)
"Bread" for thought :D Indeed!

Eva said:
Alana said:
Exactly!

I've done the same thing!

To me the statement "Be my daily bread" is a little misleading as Paleo's don't eat bread, but I view it more in the spirit of consideration.

In that you are asking for others to give you the external consideration that you (in the next line) are offering to give to others.

This does however raise the question of "The Cosmic Mind", which by this definition is the sum of every 'conscious' entity in the cosmos.

Thus I am asking the whole cosmos to live in my heart, and that all practise consideration, as I will do with them.

John

It's funny I never saw bread and breath as the same, but that it's a good analogy. It made me think of how G in ISOTM said that time is the breath of man. So give me time as I give time to others? Just some thoughts.

to me, broth comes to mind... (in german, bread spells brot, that's what made me connect)
greetings, momo

John Ainhirn-Williams said:
To me the statement "Be my daily bread" is a little misleading as Paleo's don't eat bread, but I view it more in the spirit of consideration.

In that you are asking for others to give you the external consideration that you (in the next line) are offering to give to others.

This does however raise the question of "The Cosmic Mind", which by this definition is the sum of every 'conscious' entity in the cosmos.

Thus I am asking the whole cosmos to live in my heart, and that all practise consideration, as I will do with them.

John

It's funny John, that's the only part of the prayer that jarred me, because Ive just been reading about the LWB and keto threads, and only just came upon POTS. I also really like the connection of breath, and I'd probably use that when I'm doing EE. Love the thoughts that the others have presented, especially that of it being an STO interaction. Service to self through service to others. Just beautiful

The way I understood with Bread is sustenance to different parts of us - physical ( food, excercise , input to the senses etc) , mental ( knowledge, thoughts), emotional ( impressions ), spiritual etc. Each needs different type of sustenance. "As I give to other" is also in that sense.

seek10 said:
The way I understood with Bread is sustenance to different parts of us - physical ( food, excercise , input to the senses etc) , mental ( knowledge, thoughts), emotional ( impressions ), spiritual etc. Each needs different type of sustenance. "As I give to other" is also in that sense.

I agree with you Seek10. I see 'Bread' as whatever I need with regard to 'Energy/sustenance in whatever field is needed' to be able to help others without interferring with Free Will.

Edit=Quote :)

seek10 said:
The way I understood with Bread is sustenance to different parts of us - physical ( food, exercise , input to the senses etc) , mental ( knowledge, thoughts), emotional ( impressions ), spiritual etc. Each needs different type of sustenance. "As I give to other" is also in that sense.
Not sure about the physicality of it. If one reads this literally, it says "Oh Divine cosmic Mind 'Be my daily bread'", and not as the Lords prayer says "Give us this day our daily bread". Maybe I a being too literal, but I see a radical difference between 'Be my' and 'Give us'.

My view is that if everyone gave respect and space to all others (external consideration), then there would be no need to worry about the supplies of food, water, heat etc, as there would be more than enough to go around.

Thus, I stick by my definition of "Be my daily bread":

I think of that phrase in the context of Being...such as BEing my daily bread. Therefore I am my own sustenance. I provide for, or within, myself everything I need.

When reading 'The Fourth way' by Ouspensky I thought of 'daily bread' in POTS. He was writing about the Lord's Prayer, but the meaning of daily bread is discussed, and is similar to what Seek10 and others have written here.

The first petition of the second part of the Lord's Prayer is: 'Give us this day our daily bread.' The word 'daily' does not exist in the oldest known Greek or Latin text. The correct word, which later was replaced by 'daily', is 'super-substantialis' or 'supersubstantial'. The correct text should be 'give us today our superstantial bread'. 'Supersubstantial' or 'spiritual' as some people say, may refer to higher food, higher hydrogens, higher influence, or higher knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom